Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

taco show posted:

SLC rentals are terrible. Avis poo poo itself this week on top of the Delta snafu and it was taking 1.5 hours to rent a car. Two of my coworkers had to rent from budget and got smart cars. Last time I was in SLC I got this:

I feel like that needs to have "PUSSY WAGON" stenciled on it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hey at least you won't get your window smashed like my brother in-law's car. He rented it for 9 days in Vancouver and on the night before returning it, he lost his camera and the child seat was covered with glass shards.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You are an insane person, says the man flying BOS-CLT-MDT to save $450 of his client's money vs direct.

In the summer I guess this is ok but seems like a pretty big potential inconvenience

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

In the summer I guess this is ok but seems like a pretty big potential inconvenience

definitely, and CLT in summer can be a roll of the dice with weather

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

definitely, and CLT in summer can be a roll of the dice with weather

The past month and a half my flighs out of CLT have been delayed all but once. With the shortest delay being 20minutes and longest about 3 and a half hours.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I regretted my decision as soon as the TDS notification posted :(

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Mackieman posted:

For those looking for better GE appointments, check this out: https://github.com/davidofwatkins/ge-cancellation-checker

Some technical understanding required, but it beats stalking the website several times a day.

Tried using this, got a dev friend to help. The logic doesn't have the capability of checking any month before the month of my current appointment, so unfortunately it didn't work for me. Thanks though.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Blinkman987 posted:

Tried using this, got a dev friend to help. The logic doesn't have the capability of checking any month before the month of my current appointment, so unfortunately it didn't work for me. Thanks though.

I just looked at the DEV page and I am surprised to hear that.. if that is the case why not try a workaround and change the value of 'current_interview_date_str' to a different (closer) month and then it will search that month instead?

I know this is not a troubleshooting thread so I'll limit it to just this one post.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Guam doesn't have an international arrival quarantine area, you just walk through the normal gate area so all the immigration officers make a hallway with their bodies. It is kind of funny.

I recently had a flight where I got 2 separate apologies from delta reps, then another came down and took me to this delta office (?!?) to meet the floor manager lady. All for a tiny tiny tear in the seat. Finally a rep was standing next to my seat to point it out. Also somehow my language for reps to communicate me got switched to Japanese, its weird and I don't know how it happened.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Take off the Naruto headband before you go to the airport next time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I got a hilarious "WE ARE SORRY" email from Delta for last week's nonsense, it was really over the top and strange.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Uncle Jam posted:

Guam doesn't have an international arrival quarantine area, you just walk through the normal gate area so all the immigration officers make a hallway with their bodies. It is kind of funny.

I recently had a flight where I got 2 separate apologies from delta reps, then another came down and took me to this delta office (?!?) to meet the floor manager lady. All for a tiny tiny tear in the seat. Finally a rep was standing next to my seat to point it out. Also somehow my language for reps to communicate me got switched to Japanese, its weird and I don't know how it happened.

I got a weird suitcase of food from Delta because they tried to feed me shrimp twice in a row, partly because the staff don't know what has shrimp in it. "I'm sorry we tried to 'poison' you, here is some food" is a weird message. Yes, they knew in advance.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got a hilarious "WE ARE SORRY" email from Delta for last week's nonsense, it was really over the top and strange.

I haven't been on a Delta plane since June and I got one too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Midjack posted:

Take off the Naruto headband before you go to the airport next time.

I'm sorry, but it's a tattoo.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

Back in June I was on an ANA flight doing NRT-PEK and we took off two hours late due to, "ATC" and then the normally three hour flight clocked in at 5:05 as we circled and circled around the Yellow Sea. When we landed, there was a Chinese ANA agent who handed every passenger 100RMB and a letter in Japanese and Mandarin (neither of which I can read) along with their profuse apologies as we left the aircraft. The 100RMB was put to good use the following day on beers from Slow Boat Brewing in Beijing.

I booked the same NRT-PEK flight for next week; hopefully we don't have any of the same horseshit. After flying CLT-IAH-NRT-PEK I wanted to be the gently caress there in the worst way.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 16, 2016

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

I live near Toronto, and am supposed to be at meetings in London (UK, not Ontario) all next week. This will be my first trip with the company I'm now at, and I don't have flights booked yet. Someone else is responsible for booking. I've given them my constraints, and I know we need the customer to approve the flights... but I'm getting super antsy not knowing when I leave town. Is this normal? Was my previous employer actually surprisingly reasonable at planning ahead in this one area, even if it was only to save money? How far in advance would a week-long transatlantic trip like that normally be booked for you? I'm one of 4 people going, and I'm watching fares go up and up and up, and just shaking my head.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mackieman posted:

Back in June I was on an ANA flight doing NRT-PEK and we took off two hours late due to, "ATC" and then the normally three hour flight clocked in at 5:05 as we circled and circled around the Yellow Sea. When we landed, there was a Chinese ANA agent who handed every passenger 100RMB and a letter in Japanese and Mandarin (neither of which I can read) along with their profuse apologies as we left the aircraft. The 100RMB was put to good use the following day on beers from Slow Boat Brewing in Beijing.

I booked the same NRT-PEK flight for next week; hopefully we don't have any of the same horseshit. After flying CLT-IAH-NRT-PEK I wanted to be the gently caress there in the worst way.

Last week I was on an AA flight doing LAX-YYZ and we took off two hours late due to "passport" and then landed very late.

Nobody cared. The flight crew looked like they were about to collapse from exhaustion and/or apathy.

edit: You're in CLT and fly Star Alliance??

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mackieman posted:

Hey I just flew from NRT Sunday and we were two hours late to take off because "The runways were closed", sounds common.

That CLT-PEK route sounds horse-poo poo. If I fly DTW-YYZ-LAX-NRT-(slow train)-(bullet train)-NGO I can buy business class directly but gently caress that, I put up and shut up for that sweet sweet direct DTW-NGO in economy. Can you transit through HND? I heard they're going to add more intl flights in october to get ready for 2020.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How do upgrades work on United? I am AA plat and status matched to united premier gold. With AA, <500mi upgrades are complimentary (if space is available, based on status and time of booking) and >500mi requires multiple 500mi upgrades.

I'm on my 2nd flight with United tonight IAH-MCO and was upgraded already. It's >900mi I believe. Does United just give upgrades to anyone based on status regardless of mileage? I'm reading something about fare classes, but how do I know what fare class my corporate travel agency books? If my wife is on the same reservation as I am, do we share the same status for upgrades?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

edit: You're in CLT and fly Star Alliance??

Yep; grew up in the Houston area so I was a CO guy until the merger. CLT was all RJ-145 all the time until the last year or so where we're seeing lots of E175s now. Hell, I had a 739 to ORD a couple of weeks ago, couldn't believe it.

UA has a shitload of lift into Asia and China specifically, so it's relatively easy to do and the miles are much more useful on Star carriers than other alliance programs.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

That CLT-PEK route sounds horse-poo poo. If I fly DTW-YYZ-LAX-NRT-(slow train)-(bullet train)-NGO I can buy business class directly but gently caress that, I put up and shut up for that sweet sweet direct DTW-NGO in economy. Can you transit through HND? I heard they're going to add more intl flights in october to get ready for 2020.

I actually book the double connection via NRT on purpose. Stopping at NRT allows for a shower and a tiny bit of civilization before descending into a week of China. It also puts me into PEK around 9:30PM so it only takes around 40 minutes to get to the hotel instead of two and a half hours in the car when you land on one of the ex-US flights at 2:30PM. Because if there's one thing I've grown to truly loathe, it's a two and a half hour car ride around the second ring road after a 14 hour flight.

Some folks want nothing more than to get where they're going in the most direct and efficient manner possible. For China, I want to get there in the evening so I can go to bed after having a late dinner and not have to dick around for six hours before I sleep. Plus there's more miles that way; if you're not connecting at least twice, you're doing it wrong. ;)

I would love to transit HND instead, if only for the dot on my flightmemory, but I can't find anything that works from a timing standpoint. UA has the SFO flight, but getting from SFO to CLT in the same day after a TPAC arrival is somewhat difficult. The only other options involve the Tokyo Shuffle (HND-NRT) and that is less appealing to me, especially ex-PEK. Next week's trip is to SZX and I'll be heading home from HKG but any stops in Asia shot the price through the roof. Such is life.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

How do upgrades work on United? I am AA plat and status matched to united premier gold. With AA, <500mi upgrades are complimentary (if space is available, based on status and time of booking) and >500mi requires multiple 500mi upgrades.

I'm on my 2nd flight with United tonight IAH-MCO and was upgraded already. It's >900mi I believe. Does United just give upgrades to anyone based on status regardless of mileage? I'm reading something about fare classes, but how do I know what fare class my corporate travel agency books? If my wife is on the same reservation as I am, do we share the same status for upgrades?

Yes, you are upgrade waitlisted in status order regardless of flight distance as long as you paid for your ticket (not award travel). Your wife will get the same priority as you do if she's on the same reservation.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/default.aspx

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

For domestic flights including Hawaii where the flight is not marketed as BusinessFirst, complementary premier upgrades (CPUs) are given to elites based on space, status, fare, and check in time (in that order). Mileage ain't got poo poo to do with it. A CPU as a gold on IAH-MCO is a goddamn miracle and I would advise you to purchase a lottery ticket before lady luck leaves you in 29E next to the shitters.

Fare classes are listed on your reservation on United.Com. Here's a screenshot of my trip next week:

You can see next to fare class it has a letter, P, J, etc. Each letter corresponds to a fare bucket within a class of service. On UA and in descending order of cost and flexibility (generally speaking), F and A are for Global First (international) or domestic first; J, C, D, Z, and P are Business class; Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, and N is for Economy. R is for upgrades from Y to J, and ON is for upgrades from J to F.

Depending on the corporate travel agent, you should be able to see the fare buckets prior to booking. I have to use Concur via AMEX Travel and I can see those details when I'm looking for domestic tickets. If your wife (or anyone else) is on your PNR, you'll both be on the upgrade list in the priority of your status and the fare you booked. But be aware that if the upgrade clearance window arrives and there is only one seat available, you will be skipped and the next person upgraded instead. Most often, people split their PNRs to work around this issue. Whether or not you do that depends entirely upon how ok you and your wife are with one person in F and the other not.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

. Whether or not you do that depends entirely upon how ok you and your wife are with one person in F and the other not.

You married?

In this house that "one person" is pretty clearly defined, every time. :unsmith:

Back in NYC for work. Almost to platinum with a possible rtw trip in October. I guess this is officially back in the saddle.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mackieman posted:

I actually book the double connection via NRT on purpose. Stopping at NRT allows for a shower and a tiny bit of civilization before descending into a week of China. It also puts me into PEK around 9:30PM so it only takes around 40 minutes to get to the hotel instead of two and a half hours in the car when you land on one of the ex-US flights at 2:30PM. Because if there's one thing I've grown to truly loathe, it's a two and a half hour car ride around the second ring road after a 14 hour flight.

Some folks want nothing more than to get where they're going in the most direct and efficient manner possible. For China, I want to get there in the evening so I can go to bed after having a late dinner and not have to dick around for six hours before I sleep. Plus there's more miles that way; if you're not connecting at least twice, you're doing it wrong. ;)

I'd rather waste 6 hours in a yakitori joint with sake and my $45 dinner per diem than try to rack up a few more thousand MQM. Besides, on Delta, if I make connections I get less spendable miles because the routes are cheaper (less miles for longer flights).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
NRT is far but it has a better selection in duty free, sweets, and "ok" airport food. On your way back when you are less jetlagged you can also visit the town Narita which is only one stop on the train. Nice temples, and great eel restaurants. Or you can take the sky liner and get to Ueno in 1 hour, it's a bit tight on a 4 hour lay over but doable 6+

HND to the city is only 20 minute cab ride or 30 minute train. If I travel across the Pacific I like to stop over in Tokyo. They have the best duty free in the world. Plus you can actually order online and pick things up yourself - https://duty-free-japan.jp/en/

Uncle Jam posted:

I'd rather waste 6 hours in a yakitori joint with sake and my $45 dinner per diem than try to rack up a few more thousand MQM. Besides, on Delta, if I make connections I get less spendable miles because the routes are cheaper (less miles for longer flights).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

You married?

In this house that "one person" is pretty clearly defined, every time. :unsmith:

Back in NYC for work. Almost to platinum with a possible rtw trip in October. I guess this is officially back in the saddle.

Yep, and she lets me keep the F seat when I can't get her upgraded as well (which is somewhat rare, thankfully). It helps that I'm 6'8" and she's 5'6" and she likes me. :coal:

I'm booked through 176K PQM on UA right now with, likely, one more China trip in November. I probably won't have the PQD spend to hit Global Services but the miles in international premium cabins are sure as poo poo there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

anitsirK posted:

I live near Toronto, and am supposed to be at meetings in London (UK, not Ontario) all next week. This will be my first trip with the company I'm now at, and I don't have flights booked yet. Someone else is responsible for booking. I've given them my constraints, and I know we need the customer to approve the flights... but I'm getting super antsy not knowing when I leave town. Is this normal? Was my previous employer actually surprisingly reasonable at planning ahead in this one area, even if it was only to save money? How far in advance would a week-long transatlantic trip like that normally be booked for you? I'm one of 4 people going, and I'm watching fares go up and up and up, and just shaking my head.

Why are you stressed?

At any given point in time, most of my clients could call me up and say "hey can you make a meeting in Amsterdam/Phoenix/Toronto/Detroit etc in two days?" They could also call up and tell me they've canceled a meeting tomorrow and I shouldn't fly out. You really have to just live in the moment, be prepared for anything, and go with the flow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah. Flying at the last minute is easy. There's almost always a seat available if someone else is paying. Almost always a hotel for you as well.

And last minute trips usually means you hit minimum elite qualifying spends super easily.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is coming out soon and looks pretty incredible: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-announces-the-sapphire-reserve-card/

My only issue is the lack of domestic lounges.

Has United ever offered a sign up bonus with their club card? I am ending the first year of my American club card which had a 50k mileage bonus to make the annual fee easier to swallow. I might move my (limited) business to United in the next year and gobble up points between the Chase and MileagePlus card programs. Between the Sapphire, Sapphire Reserve, and MileagePlus cards, you can rack up ~180k points pretty easily.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Buckhead posted:

The Chase Sapphire Reserve is coming out soon and looks pretty incredible: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-announces-the-sapphire-reserve-card/

Has United ever offered a sign up bonus with their club card? I am ending the first year of my American club card which had a 50k mileage bonus to make the annual fee easier to swallow. I might move my (limited) business to United in the next year and gobble up points between the Chase and MileagePlus card programs. Between the Sapphire, Sapphire Reserve, and MileagePlus cards, you can rack up ~180k points pretty easily.

The United Clib card had an annual fee waiver. I haven't look recently but did they remove it?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Buckhead posted:

If I can get any type of bonus going from Sapphire preferred -> reserve I'll do it in a heartbeat. Being able to put corporate travel on a personal card is amazing.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Buckhead posted:

Priority Pass gets you into AS Board Rooms, if you happen to be on the west coast.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

ScooterMcTiny posted:

If I can get any type of bonus going from Sapphire preferred -> reserve I'll do it in a heartbeat. Being able to put corporate travel on a personal card is amazing.

You don't normally get signup bonuses for changing cards, you will probably have to get a new line of credit. You can downgrade the preferred to the regular no fee card, and then you can probably downgrade the reserve to preferred before the 2nd annual fee hits.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

You don't normally get signup bonuses for changing cards, you will probably have to get a new line of credit. You can downgrade the preferred to the regular no fee card, and then you can probably downgrade the reserve to preferred before the 2nd annual fee hits.

Pretty sure I got a bonus going from Delta Amex gold-> plat but that might have been a promotion they had running.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

asur posted:

The United Clib card had an annual fee waiver. I haven't look recently but did they remove it?

I've had a generally mediocre experience with United Clubs. Prefer AA Admirals Clubs.

Also, the Citi Prestige card has access to AA and Priority Pass. They're phasing out AA in a year but I plan to cancel by then so whatever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Absolute worst case, if you spend at least $35k per year on travel, you could use that extra point as gift cards to pay for the difference in yearly fees. It would be the least efficient way to spend those points, but you could do it.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why are you stressed?
Probably an awkward combination of being spoiled and being used to having to fight for travel budget and make the most of every possible chance to see a customer face-to-face. I think 4 trips in a year was the highest I made it to, in my last role. Now, I'm 2 months in at a new place, and getting ready for 2 2-week trips between now and the end of September.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You really have to just live in the moment, be prepared for anything, and go with the flow.

Good call. Thanks for the perspective!

sellouts posted:

And last minute trips usually means you hit minimum elite qualifying spends super easily.

Nice! Hadn't thought of that little bonus.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Hounded the GOES page and got an August 30th date.

I noticed that it wants a document of disposition on any arrest. Because my family has some high-risk, no-reward members in it, I've actually been arrested once-- 12+ years ago. No charges even brought against me. I tried calling the town's record keeping and they suggested either dropping in or using the state database. My arrest record is not in the state database, but I know there is one because a company passed on sponsoring me for a work visa years back because it popped up in their search and it would've taken too long for me to get approved.

So, the current plan is to explain that it was self defense, I never even went to court for the arrest, and the municipality doesn't even have a record of it that I can access. I assume since I'm approved for Global Entry besides the interview that it'll come up, they're ok with it, and this lack of documentation probably happens with some regularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What's required to get my APEC card if I already have GE? Apply, fee, and appointment to sign some papers?

Got stuck in line at Hangzhou and could've skipped it with the card. I hate lines that I don't have to be in.