Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Arcturas posted:

I think you're just describing a sport coat or blazer? On the more casual side they can dress up a pair of dark jeans & a shirt. Just look for something fitted/tailored properly?

Definitely something along the lines of a sport coat, thank you (Not a native English speaker). The thing here is most sports coats tend to be more traditional fabrics and I’d like something slightly “tougher”. I don’t know, maybe these don’t exist in the type of fabric I have in mind for some perfectly obvious reason and I’m just not seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
There are corduroy sports coats like this.

https://www.roots.com/ca/en/cord-sport-coat-39140206.html

You can also get canvas blazers that I always imagine being worn by draftsmen in the 50s or something, or an older engineer who thinks he needs to wear a blazer at a worksite but it's tough. I don't know the name for that and I can't find an example right now. They seemed like a relic fifteen years ago that I would run into on construction workwear sites, so they just might not exist anymore

Edit: I think the sort of thing I'm describing has basically been replaced with overshirts/shirt jackets as the formality level in those sorts of situations has dropped

https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/mens-akhg-stone-run-standard-fit-overshirt-23128.html?color=DCQ

Filson totally used to make blazers out of these materials. They do these shirt/field jacket hybrid things now.

https://www.filson.com/outerwear/jac-shirts.html

T.C. has a new favorite as of 09:07 on May 3, 2024

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

burnsep posted:

Definitely something along the lines of a sport coat, thank you (Not a native English speaker). The thing here is most sports coats tend to be more traditional fabrics and I’d like something slightly “tougher”. I don’t know, maybe these don’t exist in the type of fabric I have in mind for some perfectly obvious reason and I’m just not seeing it.

Maybe travel blazers/sport coats?

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/advice/mens-blazers-travel-commute/

Searching for technical or ballistic fabrics, that sort of term might help. Rip stop maybe

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

burnsep posted:

Are you thinking of duck canvas? Like this: https://www.grayers.com/products/mercer-sueded-cotton-blazer-biscotti

mystes
May 31, 2006

They said they were looking for cordura. That might not exist though.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

mystes posted:

They said they were looking for cordura. That might not exist though.

Yeah, I was thinking of cordura adjacent fabrics that people who requested custom bags where I used to work had wanted. A lot really liked ballistic nylon, which someone already suggested, or waxed canvas.

Speaking of ballistic nylon, you too can live out your John Wick fantasy with your own bullet resistant blazer:
https://www.bulletblocker.com/bulletblocker-nij-iiia-bulletproof-brown-plaid-wool-sportscoat.html

lol- *Weighs Approximately 7 lbs.*

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There are some cordura options out there but it might take some searching around to actually find one in stock

https://clothbase.com/items/532f275b_beams-plus-blue-slim-fit-wool-blend-cordura-blazer-blue_beams-plus

https://global.bluelug.com/swrve-cordura-combat-wool-blazer-olive.html

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there a better place than AliExpress for knockoff novelty fashion stuff like the Balenciaga chip bags or the MSCHF rubber boots? They don’t seem to have anything fun

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm tired of wasting money on disposable razors and shaving cream. Do there exist any electric razors that can get my head reasonably smooth? All of the ones I've tried have been pretty weak.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm tired of wasting money on disposable razors and shaving cream. Do there exist any electric razors that can get my head reasonably smooth? All of the ones I've tried have been pretty weak.

Braun Series 9. The shaving cream and razor blades are more expensive than a cartridge? You not only need to buy a cartridge, but you also need to buy the water thing to clean the shaver head too.

I shave my head down with the series 9, but I’m thinking about making a switch to a razor.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve started using a safety razor again. Sure you’re using blades more frequently but for the cost of a single set of Gillette heads or whatever you get a “first shave” sharpness for basically a year.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there a better place than AliExpress for knockoff novelty fashion stuff like the Balenciaga chip bags or the MSCHF rubber boots? They don’t seem to have anything fun

DHGate and TaoBao, the various replica subreddits will have guides on how to use the agent services to get them. AE had a big crackdown on fakes a few years ago.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

https://shavercheck.com/

I’ve read this guy’s reviews for a while. He’s got a… healthy obsession with reviewing electric shavers. I don’t know if he shaves his head with them, but he does review them taking into account the coarseness of your beard, etc. That may factor into your choice.

I shave my face with an old Panasonic Arc 3. I buy new blade packs for it every six months, and I only shave every three days. If you’re constantly touching up your head-shave, or if your skin is really sensitive, you may have to buy new blades more often. Depending on where you live, that can get expensive too.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ended up buying a Henson razor and I’ve been very happy with it. I just use it to shave my face and edge my beard.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Shoutout the old days of Astra and Feather blades for double edge razors. The wet shaving thread in YLLS was fun for awhile. I had super close shaves and no irritation when I used to shave my beard.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It still exists and is still willing to help newcomers.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My electric shaver broke so I'm back to my AliEx handle and Feather blades.
It works.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cobra Commander posted:

Shoutout the old days of Astra and Feather blades for double edge razors. The wet shaving thread in YLLS was fun for awhile. I had super close shaves and no irritation when I used to shave my beard.

Did feathers go to poo poo or something? I'm still working throuhg the box I bought like 10 years ago.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
In my experience Feathers are still excellent. At least the bunch I bought last year are good.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm still working my way through a case of feather blades I bought like 5 years ago heh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have this lovely neck fan I got off Amazon for 12 bucks, whats a really good sub-100 dollar neck fan of quality make that can survive daily usage all workday?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone know some decent sunglasses that won't immediately scratch?

My eyes are getting more sensitive to sun, and I've already had LASIK for 20 years.

The last ones I bought were all plastic and had lens scratches quicker than a phone without a case rubbed on asphalt.

I have some aviators with glass inside in my car but they look so ugly.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Wendigee posted:

Anyone know some decent sunglasses that won't immediately scratch?

My eyes are getting more sensitive to sun, and I've already had LASIK for 20 years.

The last ones I bought were all plastic and had lens scratches quicker than a phone without a case rubbed on asphalt.

I have some aviators with glass inside in my car but they look so ugly.

I have a bunch of plastic lens and framed glasses from Goodr which have been scratch free for 2+ years. Not too sure if that’s what you’re looking for. I’m very happy with them at a good price.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I’ve been using Knockarounds for a few years. For their price they’re good quality, I usually order multiple pairs and they last quite a while. They do eventually get scratched, but usually only if I’ve done something stupid with them.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I saw that name goodr mentioned before

My friend suggested going to our new REI and just trying everything on.. apparently they won't hassel you like a mall stand.

He said he's been wearing some Maui Jim's for a few years for 200 bucks and not a single scratch.

My head is very large so it's hard to order online without returns

I'm looking at the goodr website right now though thank you

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

St_Ides posted:

I’ve been using Knockarounds for a few years. For their price they’re good quality, I usually order multiple pairs and they last quite a while. They do eventually get scratched, but usually only if I’ve done something stupid with them.

Appreciate it I'll take a look thanks

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I will forever sing the praises of Randolph Engineering's aviators, but I understand that American Optical gets you the same thing for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost.

That said, neither is cheap/disposable :v:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I have a nice pair of aviators with glass lenses that have never caused me any trouble, but they are too small ... And they make me look like a sheriff.

They seem to be standard issue here and you get looks at the stop lights

Wendigee has a new favorite as of 04:08 on May 22, 2024

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
You can also look at zenni and the like, my upgraded lenses cost like $45 total and have been super solid for the last 3 or 4 months and you can order without a prescription applied if you don’t need it. They frequently run bogo sales as well so you can get multiple styles

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looking for a good water bottle - mostly something just to have at my computer desk, so it doesn't need to be construction site durable or anything, ideally spill proof, but still easy to open, and probably easy to hand-wash. Insulated is probably a good idea too, but maybe not essential. Bonus if you know if it's available in Canada/not ridiculously overpriced here.

Feel like thats a bit of list of particulars, and maybe not a product I need to overthink much, but having a very "I want something nice" moment to replace the cheapo bottle I got from the grocery store.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://takeyausa.com/products/actives-insulated-water-bottle

Dunno if it’s the best. But it is good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Oxyclean posted:

Looking for a good water bottle - mostly something just to have at my computer desk, so it doesn't need to be construction site durable or anything, ideally spill proof, but still easy to open, and probably easy to hand-wash. Insulated is probably a good idea too, but maybe not essential. Bonus if you know if it's available in Canada/not ridiculously overpriced here.

Feel like thats a bit of list of particulars, and maybe not a product I need to overthink much, but having a very "I want something nice" moment to replace the cheapo bottle I got from the grocery store.

I bought a Yeti tumbler that is at best spill resistant, but I fill it with ice in the morning and when I leave work there's still a big chunk in there.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

I'm looking for a solid backpack. Durability is the most important to me.

My current one is an old Cannae one from before they went out of business, it's still lasting a very long time and is a very solid and sturdy backpack but I don't have anything to replace it with when I finally have to retire it.

The "tacticool" part isn't important to me but I find it endearing because it completely doesn't match my personality. I only found out about Cannae because of some random Facebook ad several years ago and I was reeled in by their promise of chicken nugget capacity. There are ammo pouches on it and I just use them to stick toiletries into, it's great.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

two fish posted:

I'm looking for a solid backpack. Durability is the most important to me.

My current one is an old Cannae one from before they went out of business, it's still lasting a very long time and is a very solid and sturdy backpack but I don't have anything to replace it with when I finally have to retire it.

The "tacticool" part isn't important to me but I find it endearing because it completely doesn't match my personality. I only found out about Cannae because of some random Facebook ad several years ago and I was reeled in by their promise of chicken nugget capacity. There are ammo pouches on it and I just use them to stick toiletries into, it's great.

Mission Workshop bags are waterproof, super durable, and the company has good support for replacing buckles or straps that bite the dust.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Nice! That's the style I'm looking for, but I was lucky enough to get my Cannae bag on a random sale. Does Mission Workshop ever do sales and/or clearance? Just slightly out of my price range!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

3M surgical tape.

It sticks to everything including skin but is hypoallergenic and breaths so you can leave it on. The plastic and paper tape they sell in stores is garbage for longer term wound care.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
3M engineers are mad genius alchemists, I'm usually frugal as hell but I'll never buy a generic adhesive

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

[Impulse ordered one of these off of Amazon because it was cheaper and didn't have a huge shipping cost. (I assume Takeya doesn't really have "proper" Canadian shipping)

Hasn't arrived yet but now I'm having a bit of a paranoid moment that I might be getting something sketchy? Feel like I've seen goons talk about avoiding anything food grade from amazon because of knockoffs and I assume lead/plastic concerns.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Returns have been known to be mixed in with the new stock, make sure you bleach it inside and out before you use it. Not a joke post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Hasn't arrived yet but now I'm having a bit of a paranoid moment that I might be getting something sketchy? Feel like I've seen goons talk about avoiding anything food grade from amazon because of knockoffs and I assume lead/plastic concerns.

Yeah Amazon has a bad habit of mixing stock from 3rd party sellers in with their own stock. As a result they’re filthy with knockoffs even if it says “sold and shipped by Amazon”. It’s no better than eBay these days.