Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

Somebody just recommended Deka, and I recommended Faiz, also saying they could start anywhere. Like him, I also don't really keep cataloged who subbed what show I watched a decade ago. So if the regulars tired of talking about it didn't want to talk about it, they could've just let the Deka and Faiz recommendations slide. We were just talking about shows.

Good thing there's a list in the OP numbnuts

One with links to non TVN groups wherever available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Coq au Nandos posted:

TVN is... fine. Perfectly serviceable. Watch however you like.

poo poo like this is actively misleading (another way to say this would be "wildly incorrect") and caused weeks of excited, incorrect speculation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Faiz the show definitely is, but I'd say Paradise Lost is a decent enough way to be introduced to the franchise, was more or less the first thing in the franchise I saw in full

Paradise Lost is the only good part of Faiz though, apart from the awesome suits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coq au Nandos posted:

TVN is... fine. Perfectly serviceable. Watch however you like.

Goddammit no shut up I'm calling the loving cops

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know how bad TVN is

I'm gonna give Kiva another shot once Rrailer finishes because maybe it was just TVN being poo poo that made me not like it

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm also going to post the saga of the Gaim Creepers just because I still think it's funny.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Good thing there's a list in the OP numbnuts

One with links to non TVN groups wherever available

I was just saying, it was just people saying they like some shows. You brought up the topic that makes you so ornery.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You know how bad TVN is

I'm gonna give Kiva another shot once Rrailer finishes because maybe it was just TVN being poo poo that made me not like it

That's incredibly optimistic. Kiva was my first series and I have a lot of nostalgic love for it but I fully see that the subs weren't the biggest flaw there, Kiva is the kind of series that wastes every idea it has.

What was the point of DoGaBaKi Form? It was used a grand total of once. The Buroon Booster too. Hell, even Kiva's bike gets nearly no spotlight. In a Kamen Rider show. Not to mention IXA's fake Fuestles that have a really neat effect and are used once for Garuru and zero times for the rest. Or the whole backstory about all the races which we either never get to see, get to see one of and nothing more, or appear only in the movie while still fitting the latter definition.

In other news, Ex-Aid's getting its opening back. There goes that quality.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm still mad that were going to get blurays of Decade before season 2 of Akibaranger

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

I was just saying, it was just people saying they like some shows. You brought up the topic that makes you so ornery.

You're right, people should settle for less because they're lacking information. Shame on me

Huff your own farts some more

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thanks for reminding me that the goofy DJ was the mastermind of Gaim because it's exactly what I wanted out of him since the beginning.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

I really like how good Ex-Aid is right now.

That said, if I have to choose between maintaining Ex-Aid's current quality, or getting Excite back in full every week...

I'd have to think about it. I really like that song.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Thanks for reminding me that the goofy DJ was the mastermind of Gaim because it's exactly what I wanted out of him since the beginning.

I rewatched Gaim a while ago and yeah the DJ being a manifestation of the forest who manipulat d everything owns Ben harder the second time

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blaze Dragon posted:

Paradise Lost is the only good part of Faiz though, apart from the awesome suits.

Faiz has some of the more memorable monster of the week episodes for me, and I liked the tone overall. Definitely had awesome suits. Stuff like that episode where the monster guy listened to a mix of Jump Around by House of Pain (possibly Kris Kross too) and stuff like that, just stands out to me.

How's Amazons, by the way? I haven't checked that out yet.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You know how bad TVN is

I watched a chunk of kiva through Spanish subs translated by Tokunet's lead translator, and I can confirm it wasn't just TVN being poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

Faiz has some of the more memorable monster of the week episodes for me, and I liked the tone overall. Definitely had awesome suits. Stuff like that episode where the monster guy listened to a mix of Jump Around by House of Pain and stuff like that, just stands out to me.

Put your dick in a blender

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You're okay in my book, honest, I wish you well. I moved on to another topic what's the issue?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's incredibly optimistic. Kiva was my first series and I have a lot of nostalgic love for it but I fully see that the subs weren't the biggest flaw there, Kiva is the kind of series that wastes every idea it has.

What was the point of DoGaBaKi Form? It was used a grand total of once. The Buroon Booster too. Hell, even Kiva's bike gets nearly no spotlight. In a Kamen Rider show. Not to mention IXA's fake Fuestles that have a really neat effect and are used once for Garuru and zero times for the rest. Or the whole backstory about all the races which we either never get to see, get to see one of and nothing more, or appear only in the movie while still fitting the latter definition.

More than anything else about his writing what I hate most about Inoue is his utter apathy for the toys/gimmicks of any given season he's worked on, Faiz and Kiva suffer from this the most

Although funnily enough OOO is almost as bad in that regard(I think we can all agree that it's the season with the worst fight choreography)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

drrockso20 posted:

Faiz the show definitely is, but I'd say Paradise Lost is a decent enough way to be introduced to the franchise, was more or less the first thing in the franchise I saw in full

Paradise Lost and Mechanical Violator Hakaider would make a good double feature.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Amazons is pretty squarely in the "okay" zone for me; it suffers pretty heavily from the inherent problem of trying to take a franchise that thrives on camp and making it dark and serious, but there's far worse offenders out there.

At only 13 episodes, it's less of an investment than other series, so check it out and ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm on Team Dickeye

Silver lining to TVN: without them there would be no bloggers making fun of how bad TVN is

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Heavy Metal posted:

Faiz has some of the more memorable monster of the week episodes for me, and I liked the tone overall. Definitely had awesome suits. Stuff like that episode where the monster guy listened to a mix of Jump Around by House of Pain (possibly Kris Kross too) and stuff like that, just stands out to me.

It's good, so you will hate it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Caphi posted:

poo poo like this is actively misleading (another way to say this would be "wildly incorrect") and caused weeks of excited, incorrect speculation.

Hahahaha. Oh my god. This is pure gold. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ how does this thread always explode when TVN is brought up.

The regrettable thing about TVN is that, in some rare occasions, they are your only source. Which is really, really not good.

Not only can they be misleading or mistranslate certain things, some shows they just completely gently caress up major plot points.

Like huge, important things, that completely gently caress over what is going on and just makes everything mean the exact opposite of what it was supposed to.

I'm speaking about their job on Ultraman Nexus, of course though you can equally apply it to Blade.

But here's the rub. If you're a new fan, just find a show you think would look good. What kind of genre do you like, do you want something serious or something silly, camp or straight. Lots of options, some outside of just Sentai and Kamen Rider. Beyond the obvious of Ultraman, there's also the lesser talked about heroes like the Metal Heroes, which run the gambit, Garo, the Gran Sazer series and its 'sequels' and the Rescue Force franchise.

Then you could go even further out there with non Japanese series, like China's Armor Heroes, or Garuda.

You don't have to go with TV Nihon because chances are, you can find another show you have just as much interest in seeing elsewhere.

The only people who HAVE to use TV Nihon subs are those of us that are already fans of toku, where they are literally the only source for subtitles.

UltraSeven X is that one case for me, and trust me, it's not pretty. The subs are not great. But there's literally nothing better beyond the unreasonable idea of learning Japanese yourself.

Thankfully most series have alternate ways of viewing them.

Also don't discount HK Subs sight unseen. Some times, once in a blue moon, they're actually pretty good. The Metalder subs are, grammatical errors aside here and there, just about as good as you could expect. Same with the Return of Ultraman sub titles.

But that goes down this whole rabbit hole of relying on funky subs from another country usually from boot leg DVDs that has kind of died out since the early 2000s.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's good, so you will hate it.

I'm a big fan of Kamen Rider Black, where do you fall on that one? I'll bet we dig some of the same stuff.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Amazons is pretty squarely in the "okay" zone for me; it suffers pretty heavily from the inherent problem of trying to take a franchise that thrives on camp and making it dark and serious, but there's far worse offenders out there.

At only 13 episodes, it's less of an investment than other series, so check it out and ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Thanks, I'll put it on the watch list out of curiosity at least. I almost missed out on it, seemed to get less buzz being a streaming show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xarbala posted:

I'm on Team Dickeye

Silver lining to TVN: without them there would be no bloggers making fun of how bad TVN is

The winning team

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Writing off Kamen Rider Amazons as trying to make a camp franchise dark and serious is kind of unfair.

Kamen Rider has always had a very dark, serious streak to it, from its very inception.

It goes back to what is effectively the original Kamen Rider, Skull Man. Skull Man is a nihilistic, tragic little story, featuring the first ever true anti-hero/villain protagonist of Manga.

Kamen Rider also started out with a very unhappy, tragic edge to it, that remained in the manga through out. The main 'issue' is just the fact that it was made in 1971 and it shows. Of course after the first three episodes, Kamen Rider would start getting more intentionally silly and outlandish and fun. He would start to pose at all, start calling his attacks, and acting more theatrically. With the shift to Niigo, Kamen Rider became the Hero of Justice, which Hongo never claimed to be and never tried to be.

The early episodes of Kamen Rider are all about Hongo's self loathing about what he has become, and fury at Shocker over what they are. Ratings weren't doing so well though so they livened things up again.

The thing is, that edge of being very serious lies squarely with Ishinomori himself.

As mentioned, the manga remained pretty dire in tone for its entire run, up to its ending which puts a hell of a spot light on society itself as the true reason Shocker can never be defeated.

He also would revisit the tragic and sad angle of Kamen Rider time and time again.

You have the origins of both V3 and X, as well as V3's ending where he allows the people who love him believe he died fighting Destron so he can roam the world should the Great Leader ever resurface.

Then you skip ahead a bit to Kamen Rider Black, which when it can actually focus on its goddamn story, is the most tragic Kamen Rider series short of Shin, and the manga is even MORE depressing and serious without all of the fluff and filler of the TV show to get in the way.

And finally, the last two products Ishinomori had a huge hand in- Shin, which was his ideal for how an organic Rider should look and act, and Kuuga, which he planned for extensively before his death.

Shin's quality can be debated, but yeah. There's no arguing Kamen Rider has always had a core of something more than just a campy super hero series to it.

Amazons is more just trying to pair off that aspect of Kamen Rider, with the modern more toyetic aspect- the talking belts and belts calling their finishers and what not.

Now to head this off right here and now- I'm not saying that one approach to Rider is better than the other what so ever. Just that both sides have existed since near the beginning. It's not like Super Sentai, which began in a very goofy, silly place and never really left that.

My favorite Rider series is V3 for a reason. It's the drama and tragedy of Kamen Rider paired perfectly with the fun and camp of Kamen Rider.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Amazons had its ups and downs, I think it slowed a bit in the middle and then really picked up at the end, but overall I really liked it.

The fights are pretty quick, occasionally brutally cool but usually just over, but I really liked the characters. Jin was the coolest from the start, but the rest grew on me throughout. And then they went and tugged on all of the threads they'd been weaving and managed to pull off some really great stuff with them near the end. Got some tears out of me, anyway. I'm really looking forward to the next season.

EDIT: Note that while I enjoyed it, the main reason I watched it was so that I could appreciate their cameo in the upcoming Super Hero Wars movie. I have no idea how they'll mesh with the current weeklies, but I look forward to seeing it.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 27, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Burkion posted:

My favorite Rider series is V3 for a reason. It's the drama and tragedy of Kamen Rider paired perfectly with the fun and camp of Kamen Rider.

Very cool post and I like the sound of that mixture. (Most vintage toku I've seen so far is Bioman)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
V3 is straight out of 1973, and it does look it. I love the old school aesthetic though, and loved seeing how the suit design evolved over the series. Going from V3's neck being exposed, to being covered up by the end.

It's not as easy to marathon as, say, Kuuga or a modern series would be, because older shows like that are very episodic by design, but yeah. Easily my favorite Rider series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you're not into episodic shows Kamen Rider Stronger and the original Kamen Rider Amazon are both great shows that have very little filler (probably due in part to their shorter episode counts).

In fact, Stronger is probably one of if not my favorite Showa Rider shows (for Heisei it's a tossup between Fourze and W with OOO as a close second) and I'd argue Tackle was treated better in the 70's than most female Riders are today (and yes, in my opinion she is a Kamen Rider in all but name. The excuse given in the Spirits manga only makes sense if you willfully ignore the facts presented in the series itself and to be honest it's kind of insulting to the character's legacy).

That aside, Stronger just hit all the right notes with me and honestly would have made a better send-off to the Showa era than Black RX did (it was also the last season to feature the character of Tobei Tachibana, who had been a series regular up to that point).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Internet assholery aside; Black was entertaining, but it did meander a lot. My favorite kamen rider shows have been V3, Stronger and Amazon, for reasons which were detailed better by Larry and Burkion. There's a lot of heart in the stories that they tell, even if the costumes and effects look janky as hell some times. Amazons is a throw-back to that simpler time. It felt more like what would happen if Kamen Rider was allowed to be Kamen Rider: The Show rather than Kamen Rider: The Toy Commercial.

It's nice when it can strike a balance, (Drive, W,) and frustrating as poo poo when it can't. (Kiva, Wizard, Ghost) Amazons is unique that it doesn't have that burden as much, it's more experimental and it shows. The characters are genuinely likeable though, so unlike Faiz and Blade, you can find yourself truly conflicted on who to root for.

Though, clearly it's Mamoru. It's always Mamoru.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Internet assholery aside; Black was entertaining, but it did meander a lot. My favorite kamen rider shows have been V3, Stronger and Amazon, for reasons which were detailed better by Larry and Burkion. There's a lot of heart in the stories that they tell, even if the costumes and effects look janky as hell some times. Amazons is a throw-back to that simpler time. It felt more like what would happen if Kamen Rider was allowed to be Kamen Rider: The Show rather than Kamen Rider: The Toy Commercial.

It's nice when it can strike a balance, (Drive, W,) and frustrating as poo poo when it can't. (Kiva, Wizard, Ghost) Amazons is unique that it doesn't have that burden as much, it's more experimental and it shows. The characters are genuinely likeable though, so unlike Faiz and Blade, you can find yourself truly conflicted on who to root for.

Though, clearly it's Mamoru. It's always Mamoru.

mamoru as autistic homo?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Amazons frustrates me because I've come to believe I have very simple tastes, I get where they were going for in both protagonists being wrong in very frustrating ways. It was still an amazing show to watch and I'm glad it exists, and will buy it if they put it out subbed on Amazon, but I liked neither protagonist in the end.

I'm a little worried about season 2 from a single line in the preview article, which was something like "Where as the theme of season 1 could be described as "wild and bred", season 2 could be described as "boys and girls"", not sure I'm into that.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
it's not boys and girls, it's 'A Boy and A Girl', referencing our two protagonists; a boy and a girl

Of course the girl doesn't get to be a Kamen Rider because......

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

A Good Post, and more properly describes what I meant.
I tend to prefer the older showa-type shows and how they handle it. Spiderman was a riot from start to end (shame about the mech suit being stolen!), and I'm currently having a good ride with Zubat.

Not done with Zubat so it might go to arse in the second half, but it's certainly quite fun so far in how Ken keeps finding more and more outlandish ways to one-up nerds.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
re TV-N: If you want to trick yourself into watching subtitles that are below average quality and sometimes completely misleading, it's fine if you honestly don't know better and don't plan on becoming a fan of Toku, ever, because of how often they mistranslate and incorrectly mislead the plot. If you think you're going to learn more Japanese by watching them too, you're also foolish because sometimes even their un-translated japanese is somehow wrong in context, too.

re Dekaranger: The premise is cool but the series itself gets old quick, because it treats so many episodes as stand-alone and goes on to explain everyone's powers multiple times over and over. Did you know Jasmine is an ESPer? You certainly will by episode 20 when it's explained 14 times by a narrator word by word over and over. SPD is very similar in plot and you're probably just as well off re-watching SPD until better subtitles come out because of how similar the shows can be.

re 555s (Aka Faiz): The show is slow and forced, and there's so much melodrama that just drags on. The suits are absolutely beautiful and one of my favorites in the entire genre, but watching the show is such a drag sometimes. If you want good melodrama and decent suits, Agito and Gaim have got you covered. The only great thing about Faiz doesn't even require subtitles, it's just Busta Rhymes screaming "Don't this poo poo make a nigga wanna" at a very dramatic scene for, what I can only imagine was someone Japanese wanting to use some gangster rap and recognized the "Jump Jump" part of the song. The song was actually taken out of the DVD versions though :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
no dekaranger owns actually as does the narration

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you want to watch Dekaranger but don't wanna wait for subs, just watch SPD. They are almost literally the same show, and in some ways, the PR season was better. See also: Time Force.

Sentai, I'm gonna say either Gokaiger or Shinkenger, depending on how weeb the recommend-ee in question is. Shinkenger has a few more weird Japanese-isms, but Gokaiger does end up spoiling things from previous seasons in ways where you might not even know they're supposed to be spoilers until it's too late. Also, I like Shinkenger's supporting cast more.

Kamen Rider, either W or Fourze, on the same metric. W might be the 'better' show, admittedly, but Fourze is goofy and high energy, and feels like everything a kids' superhero show should be. Several of us in this thread still miss the Kamen Rider Club. :(

Fake Edit Also, I wrote that big post on the first page about KR recommendations that still isn't in the OP for some reason. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's because I hate all of you

• Locked thread