Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
page 1440 does not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ratbert90 posted:

Or you are a sage greybeard doing crazy poo poo that nobody else does in the entire world.

even I have people i can ask for Jaguar advice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
be free, locked post

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

It's the bad programmers that try to come up with the solution from scratch every time. Re-inventing the wheel without doing any research is not an efficient way to program and it's very rare that you're doing something so novel that nobody else has solved the problem you're tackling, and they've may well have done it in a better way that you would eventually come up with.

a month coding can save you an hour in the library :colbert:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope looks like everything is just hosed. thx radium

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Colonel Taint posted:

I'm just finishing a nearly two-week-long refactoring effort of a mid-large system which builds all of the company's C-based code.

Makefiles are the friggin worst things to debug.

Word

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

a really fun thing to do is write bespoke code one day then rip out and redo it all with a library the next day. makes you look v productive on git

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This page is 1/100 of the true best modem bitrate

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

nope looks like everything is just hosed. thx radium

the boss deleted all zdrs posts in a fit of rage last night because zdr called him out on doxxing shmorkys ex, and it broke the forums.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cis autodrag posted:

the boss deleted all zdrs posts in a fit of rage last night because zdr called him out on doxxing shmorkys ex, and it broke the forums.
i almost didn't believe this was true

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

lol what

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shaggar posted:

lol what

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

cis autodrag posted:

Lowtax disagrees, but of course he would, whether or not this is true. Personally, I'm not sure if it's more amusing to have this done by Lowtax in a fit of pique, or ZDR in a fit of stupidity.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

lol what

Look in gbs for the thread that kicked it off. then look for a zdr post anywhere. There are none. And if you find a quote of him and click the link it won't work.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

darthbob88 posted:

Lowtax disagrees, but of course he would, whether or not this is true. Personally, I'm not sure if it's more amusing to have this done by Lowtax in a fit of pique, or ZDR in a fit of stupidity.

in one way lowtax is dumb, in the other way they're both dumb so ya either way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
zdr posted later in the thread so idk but lol forums drama.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
so that's why clicking "username posted" is broken now? was wondering why that up and died

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no that's a bug in one of the phone apps.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shaggar posted:

no that's a bug in one of the phone apps.
it's not working for me on browsers either. it'll update the url and stuff but the anchors aren't working

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or do you mean zdr specifically cause yeah his post history got nuked

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shaggar posted:

or do you mean zdr specifically cause yeah his post history got nuked
just in general, but it seems to be the redirect after clicking the "username posted," since it updates the url properly and the url itself works, but it won't update the page unless I do so myself. probably unrelated (and/or something on my end)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its working for me but ive also seen broken ones posted by ios users.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Elysiume posted:

so that's why clicking "username posted" is broken now? was wondering why that up and died
no that's a chrome bug

specifically chrome 61, which hit the beta channel mid-august and stable about a month ago

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 6, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*farts tentatively*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i don't know how you're "supposed" to implement bullets in a space shooter but uh i did it with a linked list? now i can have all the bullets ever

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I don't care enough to look up how much memory a jag has, but how do you manage the heap on a system like that?

It seems to me like a ring buffer might be a good solution, especially since you can calculate the max amount of memory taking into account the min bullet speed and max firing rate.

I'm presuming bullets become ineffective the moment they're not visible, and their memory can be recycled.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Colonel Taint posted:

I don't care enough to look up how much memory a jag has, but how do you manage the heap on a system like that?

It seems to me like a ring buffer might be a good solution, especially since you can calculate the max amount of memory taking into account the min bullet speed and max firing rate.

I'm presuming bullets become ineffective the moment they're not visible, and their memory can be recycled.

2MB of RAM so i have plenty of room for a standard C library to do memory management. all heap variables are long-aligned for GPU compatibility but there's no wacky restrictions on RAM use or anything like that.

bullets currently disappear and are removed from the list when they go off-screen yeah.

the RISC chips have instructions and registers for dealing with ring buffers for signal processing, i can look into that and maybe offload it from the CPU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

i don't know how you're "supposed" to implement bullets in a space shooter but uh i did it with a linked list? now i can have all the bullets ever

Your productivity is astounding

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

thanks

i rewrote my sprite blit routine from C to run on the GPU. the first pass can draw this many sprites with no slowdown (and no more). i'm pretty sure the bottleneck is the still 68K since I don't have them in a list yet, I'm just calling GPU_blit() each time which populates some variables in GPU RAM and kicks off the blit program. if I rewrite it again so the GPU is processing a display list of sprites once per frame, I bet I could draw a lot more of them...

the gray planes are 24x25 256-color sprites so that's pretty sweet. and moving them around is completely free since I'm already blanking after each frame and redrawing all the sprites.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
2MB is a lot for a 2D-only game console, dang.

Also I like the architecture that is just called "RISC"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

right? definitely one of the most inspiring posters.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

right? definitely one of the most inspiring posters.

he's been long since told that he doesn't fit with the theme of the thread

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

2MB is a lot for a 2D-only game console, dang.

Also I like the architecture that is just called "RISC"

I believe many games used it to decompress LZWed graphics since the carts only held 6MB mapped into the 68K's address space

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
catching up

HoboMan posted:

i pulled back the curtain and all that this fancy ecmascript "compiles" into is literally a bunch of string evals

that's just dev mode you dumb rear end. its for source maps and you have to purposefully set webpack up to do this. it makes reloading faster during development

OK this is kinda mean but js haters are big ol dumb asses in my opinion. sorry

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its not the best language but look at all the dumb rear end poo poo people are saying. again, im sorry

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he's been long since told that he doesn't fit with the theme of the thread

luigi thirty is a she, catch up on the thread my dude

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

luigi thirty is a she, catch up on the thread my dude

my bad