Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Oh, phew.

And with that we are now done with this topic that whew, real bummer! Let’s move it along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA Because I made my parents homeless for getting rid of my dog

quote:

I (F27) lived with my parents until last week.

I have a dog that I love. She has been my best friend since I graduated university. I am not very social, and I prefer her company to most people I know.

I have had boyfriends and even a short relationship that ended amicably. I am just not really interested in much beyond my work and my dog.

My parents think that this is a shortcoming, but I do not. My brother also lives with us. He is in high school and he doesn't pay rent.

I pay about 50% of everything in the house. Including groceries. It is about the same as rent would cost. And I get the basement suite.

It isn't a legal suite in the sense that it could be rented but it is fine for a family member. It is because of building codes and stuff. It would cost a bunch of money to make it suitable for a renter.

So my mom decided that the reason I am not actively looking for a husband is because my dog takes too much of my attention. My pup has some health problems but nothing I can't afford. And nothing that affects her quality of life.

So my mom gave her away. While I was at work. I came home and she was gone, along with all her stuff. Her toys her leash. Everything.

I lost it on my mom. I told her if she didn't tell me where my dog was I was calling the cops and saying that they had stolen my dog and having her charged.

I went to the place where my dog was and got my dog back.

I then went back to my parents house and packed all my stuff that was important to me and went to a friend's house.

My dad has been calling and texting me asking about money for October. I told him he should have thought about that when he allowed a crazy person to steal from me.

Since my dad lost his job because of the current world disease they cannot afford all the household bills without my help.

My dad says that they will be out of money in three months without me. I don't trust them anymore.

My family thinks I am an rear end in a top hat for caring more about my dog than I do about them.

To answer some questions I know will come up. Yes I am on the spectrum. I may also lean towards Ace even though I have enjoyed sex with men before.

AITA?

i guess the hand that feeds looks pretty tasty, 'cuz ppl just can't resist taking a bite

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Whoops. :shobon: Also :laffo: at this interaction in the comments.

quote:

NTA. They can move into the basement and rent out the room upstairs.

quote:

Nice. I will suggest that to my father.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 25, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*nervously doublechecks calendar*

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA Because I made my parents homeless for getting rid of my dog

i guess the hand that feeds looks pretty tasty, 'cuz ppl just can't resist taking a bite

I mean - wouldn't she have moved out anyway if mom's cunning plan had worked and she'd immediately got herself a husband once the dog was gone? Mom really didn't think this out on any level.

Guess she really hated the dog...

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Great mom there. "Your problem is that you are too fulfilled in life, so I will remove your source of comfort." On top of just yeeting an entire living being.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Runcible Cat posted:

I mean - wouldn't she have moved out anyway if mom's cunning plan had worked and she'd immediately got herself a husband once the dog was gone? Mom really didn't think this out on any level.

Guess she really hated the dog...

OP says she still would have helped her parents out. too bad mom hosed that all up i guess

also she posted the dog:

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sucks for the people who thought they were adopting a dog too.

I don't know how these people end up thinking that stealing from the people in their lives is going to work out for them, at least in the case of people like that OP who have an actual spine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

edgeman83 posted:

AITA for going topless at a nude beach in front of friends?

Reddit is very much leaning toward YTA, for some reason.

They couldn't use their speaking words to tell OP "yeah, uh, could we not do that?" I can't imagine it's the first time she's been oblivious to what to them seemed obvious social cues.

Edit: Hmm, someone in the comments pointed to this post (now deleted, but the bot preserved the contents)
AITA for not telling my(22M) friend(20F) to wear a top at the beach?

quote:

Last weekend, I went to a beach with my friends and my girlfriend. A total of 7 of us went together. My two other guy friends brought their ladies also. The friend in question, Mya, is single so she went stag.

This was the first time we’ve gone to this beach, and when we got there, we found out that there is an adults only section, but it was topless there. We decided to go there because it was less crowded and there weren’t any kids.

So we’re chilling, drinking, etc. and then after a few beers, Mya decides to take her top off. This was very unexpected, and kinda strange but she was tipsy so we just chalked it up to that. None of the guys looked aside from maybe an initial glance which I think is a fair reaction to seeing unexpected boobs.

About 20 minutes later, the girls, not including Mya went to go find a bathroom. On this trip to the toilet they apparently decided that they didn’t like that Mya was topless around their boyfriends and that she needed to recover up.

So they got back and pulled us aside and told her that we need to get out girl under control and tell her to put a bikini top back on. I asked why and they said that it’s inappropriate for her to behave the way she was.

We all were a little confused as after the initial shock, no one cared she was topless. She was sunbathing and we all had moved on.

I said that it’s perfectly fine for them to be uncomfortable about this, but I wasn’t going to be the one to tell a woman to cover up in that way. To me it felt like a very bad look as a man. I said that if they have a problem with it, they should bring it up to her girls to girl.

They said no, and they guys said they also didn’t want to be that guy policing a woman’s choice of clothes. After all, we were all topless, and no one cared about her being topless.

This started a small argument and tension has been high, especially from my girlfriend to me.

AITA?

:thunk:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 25, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my fiancee that my brother was prettier than her as a woman, and is prettier now as a man

oh good for OP, not taking any poo poo from--

quote:

Lucky escape - no, the bride doesn't get to call all the shots as its the wedding of both of you. Certainly she should be asking your opinion before doing things like booking the venue - and she definitely doesn't get to choose your best man/groomsmen (nor do you get to choose her bridesmaids).
Lucky escape NTA

OP posted:

We have that kind of a relationship where she is bossy and controlling and I like it. She probably unintentionaly took it too far, and this is why I have to talk to her. But I cant get to her at the moment if I dont appologize. Its so frustrating. I still want to make it work and give her a chance to explain herself. I will probably have to apologize and beg for forgiveness to get her to talk to me.

:cripes:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really want an update on RV-tree-fence eviction.

Jesus did she ever gently caress that up.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Ravenfood posted:

It's really a tough call though. Do you pick your husband that you married and live with, or do you let your boundary-stomping dad do any damage he likes to property that isn't even yours?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Just imagine asking someone you barely know if you could relandscape their home, and then when they say no, hiring contractors to do it anyways.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

she had no choice, guys, she didn't know the zoning laws

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

She’s up there in terms of pure stupidity with the homophobic family who decided to steal their dead son’s money that was willed to his partner. Just a complete lack of thought and a total inability to understand that their actions have consequences. That OP also stopped posting once he realized how hosed they were, but the slow dawning realization that what they did was incredibly illegal and they will get in trouble for it was great.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

wizardofloneliness posted:

She’s up there in terms of pure stupidity with the homophobic family who decided to steal their dead son’s money that was willed to his partner. Just a complete lack of thought and a total inability to understand that their actions have consequences. That OP also stopped posting once he realized how hosed they were, but the slow dawning realization that what they did was incredibly illegal and they will get in trouble for it was great.

that poo poo was hilarious. their reasoning was basically "well we didn't think he really deserved it". then when the oh poo poo what do we do phase kicked in they had already spent down most of the 3 million. they'll be signing their paychecks over to that dude for the rest of their lives.

drat how did he get ahold of that will? it would've worked if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

cake bunny posted:

That field actually does have an extremely high suicide rate for many reasons, and the sort of situation he describes here is absolutely one of them. This is not the silly post you might be thinking it is, it's super sad. To call his supportive communication with his coworker friend an emotional affair based on what's in the posts is pretty hosed. Even if he didn't have a creepy, manipulative jackass of a wife, it'd be very important to have someone to talk to about those kinds of work situations who really gets it on a level that only someone actually working in the field would.

Related news story link in the spoiler below.
https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/researchers-try-to-understand-high-suicide-rate-among-veterinarians

Hey, I appreciate the fact that you noted in advance that the spoilered content was a link; this is frequently a pain in the rear end for those of us on mobile, since tapping to reveal also opens the link.

I really wish that there was a way to globally turn off spoiler tags. There's nothing better than needing to fat finger a dozen two-digit spoilers in order to reveal a nine year age difference between two twenty-something-year olds or whatever.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 25, 2022

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Trying to decide which shows worse judgment, hiring a construction crew to create a living space on a property you don't own and hoping the owner will let you live there after you "have a chance to explain", or casually wearing one of those rainbow colored umbrella hats around town and wondering why it's drawing so much attention.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Castaign posted:

Hey, I appreciate the fact that you noted in advance that the spoilered content was a link; this is frequently a pain in the rear end for those of us on mobile, since tapping to reveal also opens the link.

I really wish that there was a way to globally turn off spoiler tags.
There's nothing better than needing to fat finger a dozen two-digit spoilers in order to reveal a nine year age difference between two twenty-year olds or whatever.

Awful App solves both these problems! Unspoilering text doesn't open links, and there's an option to show all spoilers as plain text under the post options

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Anticheese posted:

Awful App solves both these problems! Unspoilering text doesn't open links, and there's an option to show all spoilers as plain text under the post options

Nice, I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Holy LOL I've been laughing at this all day

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DeeplyConcerned posted:

that poo poo was hilarious. their reasoning was basically "well we didn't think he really deserved it". then when the oh poo poo what do we do phase kicked in they had already spent down most of the 3 million. they'll be signing their paychecks over to that dude for the rest of their lives.

drat how did he get ahold of that will? it would've worked if it weren't for those meddling kids!

lmao "how did the beneficiary get a copy of the will" will never stop being funny, especially since OP thought that that was the main problem

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for spending my share of my gfs savings?

quote:

I m20 and my gf(19f) have been together for around two years give or take a few months. I'm a pretty avid gamer which she's aware of and has respected for a lot of our relationship until now. As you all know the PS5 gaming system has just come out and I've really been wanting it and I mentioned it to her a few times. My parents ended up buying one which I thought was kinda weird but I found out it was supposed to be a gift to me. I also found out it was on condition that I can pay back the money I borrowed from my older brother on the time that we agreed on which would have been impossible pretty much with my job and working hours (15 weekly). My gf has been saving up a lot recently she comes from a resource insecure family that never had enough money so living with me where my parents pay rent has allowed her to save thousands in a few months.

I've never asked for her to pay more than half her share or do anything besides small daily tasks (cooking, cleaning, dishes making up the bed laundry etc). We both have access to each others savings just in case of emergency so I figured with how much I've been helping her out lately a lot of her savings is directly because of me. That's why I accessed her account and only took out exactly 1000 dollars to repay what I owe to my brother. A few days ago during a family get together I heard one of my aunts say to my dad that he raised an "entitled little rear end in a top hat" and he said nothing to defend me. I confronted him later and he admitted that my gf came to their house crying saying that she can't deal with me and my rules anymore and she has no where to go etc. Basically being dramatic for sympathy/twisting the situationto make me look like a huge jerk. Apparently my aunt heard some of the conversation and formed her own opinion without talking to me first and hearing my side of the story. I was literally just thinking about my family/paying back my own flesh and blood. AITA?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Human Tornada posted:

Trying to decide which shows worse judgment, hiring a construction crew to create a living space on a property you don't own and hoping the owner will let you live there after you "have a chance to explain", or casually wearing one of those rainbow colored umbrella hats around town and wondering why it's drawing so much attention.

Rainbow hat doesn't actually affect anyone and it's just a guy living his best life however weird that is. I support weird rainbow hat guy and think we would be happier as a society if more people were like that.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

well at least the ex gf is learning some important lessons early in life

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cowslips Warren posted:

Now, I know it's been said in the past, but...acid vat.

Seriously, someone takes that much money from me without even asking? Straight to the vat.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for essentially telling my husband that the apparent “meaningful” name he was/is insisting on for our unborn son is utterly unfit?

I mean dad even said that name or nothing, so name the kid Nothing?

quote:

EDIT: For anyone wondering, Mark’s grandfather’s middle name was/is spelt as ‘Zachary’, which contributes to part of my confusion surrounding ‘Xaiquiri’. During our “argument” surrounding his odd-spelling preference, he mentioned that he simply doesn’t like the spelling of his grandfather‘s middle name and that it was/is “too common”.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Pyroi posted:

Now, I know it's been said in the past, but...acid vat.

Seriously, someone takes that much money from me without even asking? Straight to the vat.

But it's "his" share! *His* share of the money she worked for and saved up and put away. HIS!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
mods namechange to “banana xaiquiri“ please

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

oh, OP edited his post

quote:

Edit: I see now that this was a mistake to post here thanks anyway.

i guess he didn't get the validation he was after

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like even before you get to him straight-up stealing the money from his GF, the convoluted "you pay your brother back the 1k you owe him, and we'll make up for it by handing over the PS5 we pre-emptively bought for you on this condition" plan the parents concocted says a LOT.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

edgeman83 posted:

AITA for going topless at a nude beach in front of friends?

Reddit is very much leaning toward YTA, for some reason.

Maybe, I dunno, don't go to a nude beach if nudity offends you?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Troublemaker posted:

But it's "his" share! *His* share of the money she worked for and saved up and put away. HIS!!

wouldnt it be funny if the whole world worked like that? like instead of sending in an invoice for work I've done the company just tells me to take however much I feel is fair and gives me full access to their account. such a system would cause a lot of disputes....

i tend to feel a lot more secure and happy with the transaction when both parties agree to a fair price and terms of exchange. Times in the past where someone has just taken my poo poo then argued later when called out that what they did was fair, tended to have pissed me off. once I'm pissed off , arguments tended to be unconvincing.

Verdict: heinous anus
Sentence:
- return of the $1000 plus penalties plus fees plus interest
- Attend and complete all work for 100 hours of cognitive behavioral rehabilitation program called "stop stealing your loving dumb rear end"
- relationship severance, effective immediately, on penalty of getting hit with sticks
- 12 months probation during which time he will be on thin ice. under the thin ice is an acid vat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The_Franz posted:

Maybe, I dunno, don't go to a nude beach if nudity offends you?

That's the part I don't get, like you deliberately walk past that sign and go "ah, here's our hangout spot for the day...there better be no nudity, though!" :confused:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Reddit's verdict is you shouldn't expose yourself to others without consent. As though entering a nude beach was not consent to see boobs.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Don't a lot of nude beaches enforce the rule? If you're not gonna be nude yourself then gently caress off to the regular beach, it ain't for gawkin'.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

iirc the sticking point on the nude beach one being yta is that its Different to see rando strangers nude vs ur own pal which, ehhhhh i guess i Kind Of get it but also why go to a nude beach if you don't want to (possibly) see your pals nude too??? :confused:

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for refusing to let my sister's boyfriend have the password to her safe while she's away?

I'm getting a real Richie from Malcolm in the middle vibe from Mikey here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Booky posted:

iirc the sticking point on the nude beach one being yta is that its Different to see rando strangers nude vs ur own pal which, ehhhhh i guess i Kind Of get it but also why go to a nude beach if you don't want to (possibly) see your pals nude too??? :confused:
I get it, it is different seeing your friends from other randos but don't go to a nude beach with your friends if you don't want to see your friends nude. I don't get why this is hard. Lady is blameless and her friends suck.

Also, anyone have a link to the "we decided to ignore our dead relatives will and just take his money instead of giving it to his partner as clearly written" story? I couldn't find it in the OP and it's great.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 26, 2022