Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A certain shade of green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the polite ones that say "pardon me"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i wasnt even aware fishbone was still around

same with venom honestly

id wanna see both of em

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

muike posted:

i love that incubus is there. that's so loving funny. but like 75% of people and bands there definitely love incubus
Incubus and Tenacious D sounds like a good time to me, honestly. Porcupine Tree seems like a bit of an odd duck there, especially since the closest they ever got to metal was four albums and 17 years ago.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Crossposting from the black metal thread a couple weeks ago:

Frank Caskelot posted:

Shameless self-promotion here: me and my buddies in Loputon Suo just released a 2 track demo, just in time for Bandcamp Friday: https://loputonsuo.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2022
Black metal with death and doom stuff thrown in for good measure. Wrapped up some self-recorded pre-production tracks into a release to let people know we're still around and are headed to studio in March.

Also, I did a blackened death metal piece for the Christmas album I did with a bunch of friends and that was released yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9I_xhM-k

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Are you the Finnish guy who went on Conan's podcast recently, or is Finland just full of gloomy death metal?

Either way, well done 🤟

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Mzuri posted:

is Finland just full of gloomy death metal?

Yes.

Thanks!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

sometimes its folk metal though

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Snowy posted:

Whaaaat

Have they ever come to the US?

I don't know! Then again, I don't see why they would not

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

ok this slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzG-qji05Lc

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah that's a tasty riff to be sure. Great choreography too!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yes, I found Gnome via the YouTube algorithm a while back. Not what you'd expect from the thumbnail.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My cousin described them as, "When you wanna play in Clutch, but you're a gnome"

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Went and saw Exhumed at Eli's Saturday night, and hung out in the green room and played Mortal Kombat 3 while shooting the poo poo. It was a great evening and I was pretty wiped out the next day. I'm hoping I can find a video of Dr Philthy pouring the blood chalice on me. I stayed firmly planted at the front of the stage, and a guy there thought I was trying to pick up on his wife because I wouldn't let him in, and I thought he was trying to force me from my spot to creep on her. He came up to me after the show and apologized, and moments like that are exactly why I love going to all those shows up there.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
In tampa, some nerd in the front row was wearing a cowboy hat and dr. philthy stole it and did the michigan j frog dance across the stage before giving it back

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Spanish Manlove posted:

In tampa, some nerd in the front row was wearing a cowboy hat and dr. philthy stole it and did the michigan j frog dance across the stage before giving it back

He should have kept it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Local show last night had 6 bands. A couple thrash, a couple dm, a couple doom + dm. It was a fun show for sure. One of the bands started a song with a crazy psychedelic bass solo producing whiney screechy etherial noises I've never heard before from a bass. Likely the dude has some insane pedal going on, but it was rad. Picked up a CD, and found out the only CD player I own is my car somehow. So Vermillion now lives in my CD player for eternity. Incidentally it's the first CD I've ever played in my car since I bought it six years ago.

Since it was a Sunday night, as the show went on, less and less people stayed. It started with around 100 people, and by 9pm it was kinda bare with maybe a dozen or so. I was going to stay for the last band, but, not making GBS threads here, 30 minutes setting up this ridiculously huge drum kit and still not looking like they were going on anytime soon, I bailed. You would have thought it was Tommy Lee coming in to jam or something. All the other bands got their poo poo ready in less than 10 mins. Oh well. Next two weeks look pretty quiet cept for a new years new wave + punk show I'm trying to convince my wife and friends to go to. January is full of metal shows though. Yesss.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
What I'm listening to most lately is the brutal side of that Defeated Sanity album that was half progressive half brutal, what would you recommend as similar?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Not exactly metal, but my cuties put out a new instrumental <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ZSvmnkS00

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Any recs for something like bolt thrower meets early acid witch? I want it all.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Philthy posted:

Any recs for something like bolt thrower meets early acid witch? I want it all.

Eternal Rot
Celestial Sanctuary maybe

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Eternal Rot is so good.

They hit a perfect death/doom sweet spot for me. The garburator vocal style is the cherry on the top.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
The only form of metal AOTY list I will entertain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1lEZmnQ4R0

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Merry christmas, ya filthy animals!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, thanks for Eternal Rot, it's good. Not too much material but it looks like they're working on more stuff right now.

Edit: Celestial Sanctuary is different and fun also. Another band followed on spotify.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 22, 2022

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Philthy posted:

Local show last night had 6 bands. A couple thrash, a couple dm, a couple doom + dm. It was a fun show for sure. One of the bands started a song with a crazy psychedelic bass solo producing whiney screechy etherial noises I've never heard before from a bass. Likely the dude has some insane pedal going on, but it was rad. Picked up a CD, and found out the only CD player I own is my car somehow. So Vermillion now lives in my CD player for eternity. Incidentally it's the first CD I've ever played in my car since I bought it six years ago.

Since it was a Sunday night, as the show went on, less and less people stayed. It started with around 100 people, and by 9pm it was kinda bare with maybe a dozen or so. I was going to stay for the last band, but, not making GBS threads here, 30 minutes setting up this ridiculously huge drum kit and still not looking like they were going on anytime soon, I bailed. You would have thought it was Tommy Lee coming in to jam or something. All the other bands got their poo poo ready in less than 10 mins. Oh well. Next two weeks look pretty quiet cept for a new years new wave + punk show I'm trying to convince my wife and friends to go to. January is full of metal shows though. Yesss.

Its somewhat routine in shows like this... the earlier you play the more audience you'll get. Its because people get tired easily in small venues with many underground bands playing back to back. Expectations are low so... people just leave when they get tired. You need that big headliner to keep people in the venue. Of course when there is a big headline, its the first bands who will get the least audience. What can you do, its just the ways of nature.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/donomite5/status/1606136641751379970

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Ooh, yellow Batlord.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

TeamJesus posted:

The only form of metal AOTY list I will entertain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1lEZmnQ4R0

he is great I love him. :)

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Southern Lord put all of their releases for this year up for a $1 and I think that includes four of the best albums of the year (both The Lord albums, Sunn - Metta, Benevolence and High Command)

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

My ten best of the year -

Sigh - Shiki
Corpsessed - Succumb to Rot
Faceless Burial - At the Foothills of Deliration
Cosmic Putrefaction - Crepuscular Dirge for the Blessed Ones
Meshuggah - Immutable
High Command - Eclipse of the Dual Moons
Elder - Innate Passage
The Lord - Forest Nocturne
Sunn O))) - Metta, Benevolence
Daeva - Through Sheer Will and Black Magic

I think the Cosmic Putrefaction album is my overall favourite, what an incredible piece of work

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Here's my self-indulgent AOTY 2022 effortpost for all of you to suffer:

THE BEST OF THE BEST:

Pillaging Villagers - Pillaging Villagers
What if Dropkick Murphys played spicy blackened thrash about a glorious peasant rebellion overthrowing their oppressors? Raucously fun album. Eat the rich and bang your head!

Avatarium - Death, Where Is Your Sting
Avatarium's roots are still clearly in classic doom metal, but they're also just so much more. Dark, soulful, beautiful stuff as always. The vocalist Jennie-Ann Smith is a treasure.

Vermilia - Ruska
She already enthralled me with her previous album, and this one might be even better. Enchanting vocals, jaunty folky melodies and some great buzzy riffs, this is about as beautiful and cozy as black metal can get.

Riders of Rohan - Riders of Rohan
Supremely fun and catchy late 70s style hard rock/proto metal. Tons of groove and energy with a super authentic sound. And Tolkien themed, for extra nerd points!

THE REST OF THE BEST:

Nite - Voices of the Kronian Moon
Some tasteful trad metal with a nice blackened tinge and some great guitar leads. Vocalist sounds like if Lemmy came back as a lich and is now taking you on a tour to space. It's loving awesome.

Disfuneral - Blood Red Tentacle
Nothing fancy here, just absolutely impeccable oldschool death metal. Groovy, headbanging riffs for DAYS.

Graceless - Chants from Purgatory
Basically, see above. Lower tempo, but with the added bonus of a deliciously nasty bass guitar sound.

Demonical - Mass Destroyer
Some more death metal, but a bit more melodic than the above two, with that delightful Swedish chainsaw guitar sound. Imagine if Amon Amarth had gotten heavier instead of whatever they're doing now.

Blind Guardian - The God Machine
This is not Blind Guardian's best album by a long shot, but I'm super happy to say it's still good enough to make this list. So glad to hear an old favourite band still has it in them.

Riot City - Electric Elite
Superb 80s style speed metal with an absolutely insane drive. This stuff just loving GOES. Probably the most quintessentially METAL album on this list.

Brymir - Voices in the Sky
These guys have been really scrambling to make their way to the A-tier of melodic death metal, and with this album they finally succeed. Really grandiose stuff with some great hooks.

Pure Wrath - Hymn to the Woeful Hearts
Not entirely sure whether to count this as atmoblack or just plain black metal. At any rate, it's an album full of beautiful, emotional riffs and delightfully devoid of bullshit.

Honourable Mentions:

Bloodywood - Rakshak
Evil Invaders - Shattering Reflection
Eternal Ascent - Reclamation
Tar Blossom - Of Mountains and Suns
Audrey Horne - Devil's Bell
Neptune Power Federation - Le Demon de L'amour
Kvaen - The Great Below
Amorphis - Halo
Wind Rose - Warfront
Saints 'n' Sinners - Rise of the Alchemist
Eliminator - Ancient Light
Te Ruki - Marako Te Ruki

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pure Wrath is basically meloblack to me but nobody else seems to think so.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i didn't listen to much that came out this year, so with that in mind my AOTY is Flourishing Extremities on Unspoiled Mental Grounds - Pharmacist, with Heavy Pendulum - Cave In as runner-up

e: actually looking back i listened to more than i thought, it was just more eclectic than just metal. honorable mentions to:

Hiss - Wormrot
The Loser - Gospel
Animorphs - Honningbarna
Automaton - Crashdïet

symbolic fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 24, 2022

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022
Some of what I enjoyed this year

Artificial Brain - S/T
Ashenpire - Hostile Architecture
Sigh - Shiki
Wormrot - Hiss
Skare - S/T
Autonoesis - Moon of Foul Magics
Ruby the Hatchet - Fear is a Cruel Master
Immoliation - Act of God
Boris - Heavy Rocks
Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstasy
Konvent - Call Down the Sun
The Otolith - Folium Limina
Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium -Undreamable Abysses
Trha - Vat gelenva
God's America/Fed Ash/Beggin' For Oxys/Reeking Cross - Four Way Split
Cult of Luna - The Long Road North
Tzomantli - Tlazcaltiliztli
侍 (Samurai) - S/T
Hangman's Chair - A Loner
Aeviterne -The Ailing Facade
Encenathrakh - Ithate Thngth Oceate
Wędrujący Wiatr - Zorzysta staje oćma

DrObrero fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 24, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Man, that means some kid just had his collection sold and he's going to have the worst Christmas ever. I'm sure he knew what he had, and his grandma just sold it all for probably next to nothing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
it was probably bobby liebling’s mom

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Oof, that was brutal.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Man, that means some kid just had his collection sold and he's going to have the worst Christmas ever. I'm sure he knew what he had, and his grandma just sold it all for probably next to nothing.

i don't think many people under the age of 40 have a yellowgoat original to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

CornHolio posted:

Idk looks its one of these things you see on the internet which actually never happened.