Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Here I am thinking, 'they uncapped Alphascape tokens, should be easy to get 380 gear'. Except I've won a very small handful of rolls over a ton of runs. RNG! (I mostly want it for the glam)

RNG is trash and I hope in SB2 they go for another system instead of having to run something for days because of RNG BS.

Hahahaha

Ha

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SettingSun posted:

Here I am thinking, 'they uncapped Alphascape tokens, should be easy to get 380 gear'. Except I've won a very small handful of rolls over a ton of runs. RNG! (I mostly want it for the glam)

Yeah. I wanted to get the 4 shafts I needed to complete my BDSM butterfly outfit. Took me almost 25 runs. Got one on run 3, then one around run 20. Then on runs 24/25.

I almost went insane.

It was also frustrating because all other parts can be obtained in multiple fights. Shafts are only in the final fight of the tier. And then the one bonus item would be a crank or spring. THAT was cool.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Leal posted:

RNG is trash and I hope in SB2 they go for another system instead of having to run something for days because of RNG BS.

How about some kind of RNG class that gets its skills through random chance? Maybe one that has to run Aurum Vale 20 times because gently caress you.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I wanted to get the 4 shafts I needed to complete my BDSM butterfly outfit. Took me almost 25 runs. Got one on run 3, then one around run 20. Then on runs 24/25.

I almost went insane.

It was also frustrating because all other parts can be obtained in multiple fights. Shafts are only in the final fight of the tier. And then the one bonus item would be a crank or spring. THAT was cool.

quote:

BDSM butterfly outfit

you can't just post that and no picture, wtf

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

How about some kind of RNG class that gets its skills through random chance? Maybe one that has to run Aurum Vale 20 times because gently caress you.

Oh christ.

Good thing I'm OG Red Mage and aint got time to be dabbling with Crips

Gonna bust their lip

Watch my favorite color drip

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I got Ramuh's skill after ten pulls of the slot machine, was immediately impressed with it, and then got pissed off that I couldn't use this job I absolutely adore the aesthetics of for anything other than the FFXIV equivalent of the loving Brawler's Guild.

Back to blowing poo poo up with Fire IV I go.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I haven't touched BLU yet because I respect the content and do it in the order it was released.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Saint Freak posted:

rdm is already the RNG class

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Cappy posted:

I haven't touched BLU yet because I respect the content and do it in the order it was released.

thank you for your service

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Countblanc posted:

rdm is already the RNG class

I feel like you could have, and should have, said BRD.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
after playing BLU for a bit i can confirm that BLU is not, in fact, fun.

hopefully they'll rework it into an actual class instead of the bastardized minigame it is now.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

re: Crafting chat, you don't have to be some crazy geared out omnicrafter. People think that you need to be on the bleeding edge of current level mats. You don't. Seriously - just level up a crafting class, and when you get to a point where you see something and you think "gently caress, that's expensive!"... make that thing. When you outlevel it or the market stabilizes, move onto the next expensive thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Throne of Bhalz posted:

re: Crafting chat, you don't have to be some crazy geared out omnicrafter. People think that you need to be on the bleeding edge of current level mats. You don't. Seriously - just level up a crafting class, and when you get to a point where you see something and you think "gently caress, that's expensive!"... make that thing. When you outlevel it or the market stabilizes, move onto the next expensive thing.
Or just level Miner and Alchemist together and buy everything you need off the MB with the Alchemy profits.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

jalapeno_dude posted:

you can't just post that and no picture, wtf

https://xivstyle.com/combat/raid8/omega/

It's a pretty cool set and it has glowy parts.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

after playing BLU for a bit i can confirm that BLU is not, in fact, fun.

hopefully they'll rework it into an actual class instead of the bastardized minigame it is now.

I would love this but let’s be honest they’ll just double down on it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Merge BLU and Culinarian and let me be Quina

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

I would love this but let’s be honest they’ll just double down on it.

You know what? If they're not going to fix it then they do need to double down on it, because right now "half-baked" is the most honest characterization I can give for BLU.

Either they needed to go truly whole hog-- make it 100% a solo class that works all the way up to 70 and either can either solo every instance with broken monster insanity (but is forced to solo instances), or make it categorically cannot enter instances at all and attains every spell it can get from the overworld-- or just bite the bullet and make it a slightly oddball monster-themed caster DPS with spell learning done via class quests.

BLU feels compromised, but in all the wrong places. There's no reason that it has to actually engage in trials and dungeons to learn things when you could have either made those solo instances or just put everything in the overworld and made the wilderness-trekking monster-spell-collecting deeper.

It's like they were too committed to the idea of making BLU-- superficially-- a DoM class when it really gets nothing from it and has no reason to be there except for the fact that it has 'mage' in the name.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 19, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm so close to finishing my spellbook but holy poo poo farming Veil of the Whorl is not fun; you can't unsync push like you can with every other primal and falling means you lose your shot at picking up the skill for that run.

(granted, BLU has so many anti push/knockback abilities that you shouldn't, but unfortunately the pub group I was running with didn't quite get the memo)

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Leraika posted:

I'm so close to finishing my spellbook but holy poo poo farming Veil of the Whorl is not fun; you can't unsync push like you can with every other primal and falling means you lose your shot at picking up the skill for that run.

(granted, BLU has so many anti push/knockback abilities that you shouldn't, but unfortunately the pub group I was running with didn't quite get the memo)

You can also pick it up unsynced in Leviathan HM. No risk of falling there, although you'll either need really good shielding or a raise after his phase transition if you push dps too hard.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

You can also pick it up unsynced in Leviathan HM. No risk of falling there, although you'll either need really good shielding or a raise after his phase transition if you push dps too hard.

Well.

poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want this as a Marauder axe.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish Monk/Samurai got something similar to the Republican Signifer's Culottes. Would fit my current samurai glamour perfectly and wouldn't have the horrible clipping problems that the long skirt hakama thing I'm wearing does.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Merge BLU and Culinarian and let me be Quina

While awesome and hilarious, I can't help but worry about having to get monsters at 12.5% HP would drive me nuts overshooting it.

Now that Quina was brought up, it is strange we don't have more of the silly weapons from FF. Or stuff like the Tales of series which regularly have stuff like dust brooms and forks for silly weapons.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Hi, I want the next relic weapon to be books again rather than more Eureka. I mean this unironically. Thanks, Yoship.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cabbit posted:

You know what? If they're not going to fix it then they do need to double down on it, because right now "half-baked" is the most honest characterization I can give for BLU.

Either they needed to go truly whole hog-- make it 100% a solo class that works all the way up to 70 and either can either solo every instance with broken monster insanity (but is forced to solo instances), or make it categorically cannot enter instances at all and attains every spell it can get from the overworld-- or just bite the bullet and make it a slightly oddball monster-themed caster DPS with spell learning done via class quests.

BLU feels compromised, but in all the wrong places. There's no reason that it has to actually engage in trials and dungeons to learn things when you could have either made those solo instances or just put everything in the overworld and made the wilderness-trekking monster-spell-collecting deeper.

It's like they were too committed to the idea of making BLU-- superficially-- a DoM class when it really gets nothing from it and has no reason to be there except for the fact that it has 'mage' in the name.
If you're talking about making all these bespoke solo instances to learn spells in, then what is that gonna come at the expense of? Cause its pretty clear that the only reason we have BLU at all is because as a job it is extremely frugal with development resources. They didn't have to design a bunch of new gear or many animations, as a job quest line it has some pretty good cutscenes but no overly sophisticated solo duties, they didn't spend much time rigorously balancing spells or honing them into some job-iconic rotation. The only custom thing it has really is Maked Carnivale, which is a battle arena system in which they can infinitely plop down whatever mobs they want into, which is probably a pretty efficient use of their time and something that will get leveraged a lot.

The whole thing is pretty explicitly a way to very cheaply reuse content and get people running around ARR zones and instances for awhile. That's pretty much what they sold it as, too. If they committed more resources to the thing people itt don't like you'd just get even louder complaining. Eureka-level loudness

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would care more about fancy relic poo poo if I ever found an axe I like as much as the Wootz Bhuj.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

YoshiP heard we wanted content like ARR/HW relics to populate old content, so we got BLU.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Wootz stuff all looks pretty good. I use a lot of them and the ironworks weapons for pseudo magitech looks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Wootz stuff all looks pretty good. I use a lot of them and the ironworks weapons for pseudo magitech looks.
I like the Bhuj because of the way the light flickers like neon, it's a very neat effect I haven't seen on any other weapon.

The Wootz stuff also goes great with the High Allagan equipment. My outfit right now is Wootz cuirass, axe, and boots, then High Allagan helm and gloves.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Argas posted:

YoshiP heard we wanted content like ARR/HW relics to populate old content, so we got BLU.
Pretty much, except unlike when relic first came out we now have roulettes to fill those hoppers so there's no practical necessity to design a relic that way (see eureka). So gently caress it, YoshiP thought to himself, get people to willingly run that stuff outside of DF

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

After returning to the game and trying to level a DPS class, I remember why I never got one to 70. PotD makes me want to self-harm, and queues are rough. I need to just buckle down and do it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Throne of Bhalz posted:

After returning to the game and trying to level a DPS class, I remember why I never got one to 70. PotD makes me want to self-harm, and queues are rough. I need to just buckle down and do it.
You shouldn't need to be spending a lot of time leveling, I don't remember a ton of big level jumps in the MSQ. I can think of maybe two or three.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Throne of Bhalz posted:

As soon as I hit anything 51+ it's all dungeon spam, beast tribes, and side quests. Queue up, hit a side quest, and continue. Back then the queues weren't even that bad.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Did someone say glamour shots?

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

You shouldn't need to be spending a lot of time leveling, I don't remember a ton of big level jumps in the MSQ. I can think of maybe two or three.

I quit right before Phantom Train was released, so my MSQ is caught up a good bit through Stormblood.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

As soon as I hit anything 51+ it's all dungeon spam, beast tribes, and side quests. Queue up, hit a side quest, and continue. Back then the queues weren't even that bad.

Never thought about using beast tribes for leveling - I'll check it out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wacky Delly posted:

This would be a fantastic MCH look

edit: It's also extremely goth in an 80s Vampire: The Masquerade sort of way.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FactsAreUseless posted:

This would be a fantastic MCH look

edit: It's also extremely goth in an 80s Vampire: The Masquerade sort of way.

The plague sets are real cool, but sadly are caster and healer only and only gotten from dungeon drops.

Unrelated, the Mad Snake Eaters (and Friends) finally beat up the big bot. Don't care if we're late, we did it.

Other pics also unrelated I'm just real happy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Am I late to the gun show?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Based on everything that happens during the "Recruiting the Realm" quest I think we can say that the WoL is canonically a moron.

Everyone involved deserves everything that happens for not being able to smell bullshit on Alphinaud from a mile away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Wacky Delly posted:

I'm gonna need a gear/dye list for this, if you'd be so kind.