Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wachter posted:

The trick to going to metal shows alone is to wear a loving sick battle vest. Everybody wants to talk to you

I just have this incredibly garish red Sabbat (UK) shirt with the cover art from "History of a Time to Come", got it at one of their reunion gigs back around 2009 or something. Someone always recognizes it and then I've found someone with good musical taste to chat with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Volguus posted:

I don't think it fits anymore...

Just let the gut hang out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

to be clear i do go every now and then, i just dont make the effort as much

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
mdf promoters running a little thing to tide people over for the year

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

^ holy crap I'm in

also killer slam tour announced - Ingested, Devourment, Extermination Dismemberment, Organectomy
Special guests on select dates:
Implosive Disgorgence – 5/09 & 5/10
PeelingFlesh – 5/13-5/17
I Declare War – 5/23 & 5/24

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That Seattle date is the day before Northwest Terrorfest starts, that's one hell of a pre-game show.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

the trick to most things in life is to wear a fuckin sick metal battle vest tbh

My Goatwhore longsleeve gets lots of compliments every time :3:

e:
Love it when my local alt-weekly has concert calendars and they try to print death/grind band logos and it's just a smear of newspaper ink. I know we're all real proud of our stick band logo, but maybe for print announcements just type the loving name out :argh:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 10, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wish Acid Witch would make their way over here to the midwest. Looks like their mainly east coast.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Varg posted:

^ holy crap I'm in

also killer slam tour announced - Ingested, Devourment, Extermination Dismemberment, Organectomy
PeelingFlesh – 5/13-5/17

100% going to that Detroit date. Hell yeah

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Varg posted:

^ holy crap I'm in

PeelingFlesh – 5/13-5/17

god drat it, of course they're coming to NY the week I'm going to be gone :(

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Varg posted:

^ holy crap I'm in

PeelingFlesh – 5/13-5/17

mother FUCKER i just booked a trip while this tour comes through socal. go figure.

also, implosive disgorgence is still around? are they coming out of a 15 year hiatus or something? have they been active this whole time? my buddies and i went absolutely bonkers for an EP they put out when we were like 20 and im almost 40 now lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAo8EXort8U

skip to 1:41 for a ridiculous smoothbrain mating call

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

New festival in Baltimore. Pretty sick lineup

https://www.baltimoresoundstage.com/events/hell-in-the-harbor-2-day-pass/

edit - no idea how I missed the earlier post. Whoops!

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 11, 2023

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
So I'm 5 years late on this album and apparently the band split up in 2020 but I just found about them and I'm really enjoying it - band called Night Viper and their 2017 album "Exterminator". Digging the fun riffs and the solid vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUymI8ItV-k

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been listening to some extremely generic Japanese melodeath and it's really growing on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAycniW4Aog

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
So, Sleep Token have released 2 new tracks in two days.The first one, "Chokehold" is pretty good, but the second one is absolutely epic.

It's called "The Summoning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJNbtYdr-Hg

It's hard to describe, it's a trip. I dare you to guess where the song ends up after the first 30 seconds.

I can't wait to see them live this Sunday (and later this year at Graspop Metal Meeting)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Mizmor announced. Looks like he signed to Profound Lore.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
For all my power metal peeps, Powerwolf is coming to the US for the first time ever!! Tickets go on sale Friday.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

remigious posted:

For all my power metal peeps, Powerwolf is coming to the US for the first time ever!! Tickets go on sale Friday.

Do they have any dates in the Southeast? I'd probably hit one of those shows up.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Vargatron posted:

Do they have any dates in the Southeast? I'd probably hit one of those shows up.

Not really :( looks like Dallas, Denver, LA, San Francisco and Worcester, MA. I’m going to make a thing of it and fly from Portland to Denver because they are one of my bucket list bands that looks like they will be a blast live.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I go to shows alone almost exclusively and i love it, if I am with friends my brain will waste cpu cycles making sure my friends are doing OK. Alone I don't gotta worry about anyone

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

When I go to shows with friends I drink more and pay less attention to the bands but it’s still great. If I really want to focus on a band I have to get a good spot up close, never leave, and ignore anyone I know

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

it's my birthday AND there's new Kamelot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLp1wSGC7Us

the sequel to sonata arctica's 'flag in the ground' i guess

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Killingyouguy! posted:

the sequel to sonata arctica's 'flag in the ground' i guess

Fits, because this is also really lame.

gently caress's sake guys, just keep rewriting Karma and The Black Halo one after the other, this isn't hard

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i loving love lame poo poo

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Killingyouguy! posted:

Me too!! This is extremely my poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you liked Unto Others masterpiece "Strength" they are putting out a sequel with some more tracks from those sessions. The first single is loving AMAZING.

https://untootherspdx.bandcamp.com/album/strength-ii-deep-cuts

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Vintersorg posted:

If you liked Unto Others masterpiece "Strength" they are putting out a sequel with some more tracks from those sessions. The first single is loving AMAZING.

https://untootherspdx.bandcamp.com/album/strength-ii-deep-cuts

Every time I see their band name I read it as “untoothers.” I should try to see them sometime since they are from my hometown!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

they're gonna pull your loving teeth out

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

loving same

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Killingyouguy! posted:

they're gonna pull your loving teeth out

That sounds pretty metal :)
Also happy birthday KYG!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nordick posted:

Fits, because this is also really lame.

gently caress's sake guys, just keep rewriting Karma and The Black Halo one after the other, this isn't hard
It's the same water they've been treading since Ghost Opera. It's fine, and you kinda know what you're getting (there's no female vocal feature on this one but it's probably coming on the next single), but it's no Epica/Black Halo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yeah, I've been lame my whole life, don't see that changing any time soon.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

known cool people that always fit in and are known to be hip, metalheads

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
The best part of going to a Kamelot or nightwish show is that feeling of belonging that I don’t get anywhere else. These loving nerds are my people.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

old media always seemed to portray a link between 'being a teenage metalhead' and 'playing dungeons and dragons', was that actually a thing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Bolt Thrower says yes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Killingyouguy! posted:

old media always seemed to portray a link between 'being a teenage metalhead' and 'playing dungeons and dragons', was that actually a thing

I got introduced to dnd, warhammer, metal by my uncle who was a teenager in the 80s and all his hesher friends

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sweet. Got my Vader Chicago ticket, and the wife wants to come with to go out to eat, museums, and shop the next day. Her only requirement is that the room has a TV this time.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Mostly, yes. When I first experienced D&D in the early 80s it was by a friend who worshipped Iron Maiden and turned me on their stuff and especially the Killers album. I never ventured too far beyond them and stuff like Motley Crue. The Satanic Panic was a real thing, and my parents tried hard as hell to keep me away from D&D. Not so much metal music, which was stange, but D&D was like Satan itself to them. I had the Shout at the Devil vinyl that they bought for me that had a loving pentagram on it. What the gently caress.

I played Warhammer 40k in the late-80s/early-90s and saw an ad for Bolt Thrower in an issue of White Dwarf (Nerd magazine for 40k players) and checked them out and got hooked until I found Ministry which eventually led to Skinny Puppy and Industrial/Goth and less metal for about a decade and the cycle has started all over again.

Today, I still play a lot of D&D at a lot of conventions and it's half old/older people with long rear end beards and veteran hats, and mid to late teens and not too much inbetween. A dad with his son and daughter is not uncommon. No metalheads these days, though. At least, not ones advertising it. I'm sure plenty listen to metal. Retirees love D&D and they travel all over to play the conventions. Seems like a nice way to spend your time.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 12, 2023

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I run a Warhammer league and like half the players are in local black metal bands and I'm in a power metal band.

Metalheads are nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yup