Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

He was. He left Starfleet and joined the Maquis after his estranged father was killed by Cardassians. From the transcript of the really bad episode "Tattoo"

cardassians did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lmao of course Voyager decided Chakotay was from the colony in that Wesley episode, because there couldn’t possibly be Native Americans living anywhere else in the Star Trek universe

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lmao of course Voyager decided Chakotay was from the colony in that Wesley episode, because there couldn’t possibly be Native Americans living anywhere else in the Star Trek universe

As the Star Trek wiki puts it it's a little more complicated than that:

quote:

The producers of Star Trek: Voyager originally intended Dorvan V to be Chakotay's homeworld. (Star Trek Monthly issue 4, p. 55) Although this idea was not established during Voyager's run, the Voyager relaunch novels state that Chakotay and his family were native to Dorvan V. However, "Tattoo" established Chakotay's colony to have been established centuries ago, which does not appear to be consistent with "Journey's End", which stated that the settlers had been on Dorvan for about twenty years. Even though Picard's statement "Dorvan Five? Isn't that where the group of North American Indians settled?" to some degree implies that Dorvan is unique, Chakotay would seem to originate from a second planet of American Indians in the DMZ.

So, it looks like the Voyager people wanted Chakotay to be from that colony, but they messed up the details.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This may be a general 80s/90s TV issue, but I'm noticing in the 24th century, whenever someone gets knocked to the ground, everyone's in a hurry to get them back on their feet. Are future people like elephants, where they die if they lie down for too long?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

davidspackage posted:

This may be a general 80s/90s TV issue, but I'm noticing in the 24th century, whenever someone gets knocked to the ground, everyone's in a hurry to get them back on their feet. Are future people like elephants, where they die if they lie down for too long?

The 24th century is one big mosh pit.

(If someone falls over I try to help them up. Is this what's alien to you in Star Trek?)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
When I see someone fall, I stand by idly hoping gravity and time will run their course and keep them on the ground forever, where they belong.
:goonsay:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
You can at least first check if they didn't break anything after some spacebeam launched them into the furniture, you dingus.

It's not about the helping them up, more the instant need to have them back on their feet.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

davidspackage posted:

You can at least first check if they didn't break anything after some spacebeam launched them into the furniture, you dingus.

It's not about the helping them up, more the instant need to have them back on their feet.

That was a running gag/riff in MST3K. After someone took a nasty fall, usually from a great height, someone would say, "Be sure to move their neck and spine around."

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be fair if I worked in a place where there was a not-insignificant chance that I was going to die in a shower of pointless sparks I'd probably just Tyrell myself first.

E: TOS movies appear to have popped onto Amazon Prime somewhere in the last couple months since I looked, if anyone was unaware.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 1, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Pick posted:

cardassians did nothing wrong

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oof ow

Right in the lived experience

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

"Cardi in a cardie" shows up nothing either, as my disappointed searching showed me today.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The TNG episode "Transfigurations" really runs the gamut of "things that weren't meant to be seen in HD". It starts with the most graphic gaping head wound I've ever seen on a network/syndicated TV show, and it ends with a "being of light" that's clearly just a guy in a full-body suit with the brightness & contrast turned up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's really weird that Yesterday's Enterprise gives Tasha a proper heroic ending only for it to be revealed that she basically ended up a sex slave before being executed after a failed escape attempt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

The TNG episode "Transfigurations" really runs the gamut of "things that weren't meant to be seen in HD". It starts with the most graphic gaping head wound I've ever seen on a network/syndicated TV show, and it ends with a "being of light" that's clearly just a guy in a full-body suit with the brightness & contrast turned up.

Also that dude's package was not so in your face back in SD

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's really weird that Yesterday's Enterprise gives Tasha a proper heroic ending only for it to be revealed that she basically ended up a sex slave before being executed after a failed escape attempt.

Ronald D. Moore does it again! :awesomelon:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

spincube posted:

Watching Caretaker again,

spincube posted:

What a waste.

Shortened that for you.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

TOS was seriously ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTfkEj6C6s

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't know how I feel about "Valiant". It's an effective enough deconstruction of "the young plucky adventurer" thing, but I'm not sure what it adds to the overall narrative, and Nog's losing his leg ultimately does more to make him aware of the horrors of war than this episode does. If anything, it just seems bitter and discouraging to any young people who might like to project themselves onto Star Trek characters or towards an entire genre of fiction.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nodosaur posted:

I don't know how I feel about "Valiant". It's an effective enough deconstruction of "the young plucky adventurer" thing, but I'm not sure what it adds to the overall narrative, and Nog's losing his leg ultimately does more to make him aware of the horrors of war than this episode does. If anything, it just seems bitter and discouraging to any young people who might like to project themselves onto Star Trek characters or towards an entire genre of fiction.

It was mostly about Nog's inability to look past the rose-tinted glasses and listen to his friend, and how military people can sometimes do reckless and stupid things and not realize they're loving up and how we need writers with one published book under their belt to keep the military in line. I feel like someone's less successful marine brother was more liked by his parents.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think buried across the shows, there is this idea of Earth culture sort of going pre-industrial with its fashions as things went to post-scarcity. Things look a bit more bespoke. And I really like that...

But both TOS and Next Gen really can't help having their respective decades bleed into the fashion design.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
There's an alternate universe where the Star Trek producers decided to just rent almost all of the costumes and this thread is all "heh, where's the future-clothes? i guess fashion stopped in the mid-60s :smug:"

Also in that alternate universe we can't stop whining about the terrible future-music that TNG had its characters listening to and wishing they'd gone for something a little more ~timeless~.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's an alternate universe where the Star Trek producers decided to just rent almost all of the costumes and this thread is all "heh, where's the future-clothes? i guess fashion stopped in the mid-60s :smug:"

Also in that alternate universe we can't stop whining about the terrible future-music that TNG had its characters listening to and wishing they'd gone for something a little more ~timeless~.

This. Weve seen examples of in-universe original music on these shows, I can't imagine anyone wanting more of that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I wish they took the opportunity to have Riker and Sisko do a jazz jam

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

ds9 is better than actual human love

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This. Weve seen examples of in-universe original music on these shows, I can't imagine anyone wanting more of that.

I was super bummed once we actually heard Klingon Opera and it turned out to be... Opera.

I was picturing a cacophony of screeching cats or something.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Isometric Bacon posted:

I was super bummed once we actually heard Klingon Opera and it turned out to be... Opera.

I was picturing a cacophony of screeching cats or something.

turns out the universal translator is massively overcompensating and all races have totally alien conceptions of what the others believe & do

Orv
May 4, 2011

lol but posted:

turns out the universal translator is massively overcompensating and all races have totally alien conceptions of what the others believe & do

The Rite of Ascension is actually just Takeshi's Castle.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1135267513518837760

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

AW poo poo KID

RIKER DONE LOST HIS MIND AND GOT MARRIED TO MINUET

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Riker retired and now he plays in a zydeco band at Joe Sisko's newest restaurant in New Orleans

e: based on the reflection in the horn it looks like he took a picture of a trombone hanging above the counter in a Guitar Center????

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Riker retired and now he plays in a zydeco band at Joe Sisko's newest restaurant in New Orleans

e: based on the reflection in the horn it looks like he took a picture of a trombone hanging above the counter in a Guitar Center????

Riker opened up a Guitar Center down the street from the Zefram Cochrane Warp Ship Museum souvenir shop.

He plays the trombone in the holodeck version of the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gonz posted:

Riker opened up a Guitar Center down the street from the Hard Rock Cafe Risa.

He plays the trombone in the holodeck version of the Reel Big Fish

:hmmyes:

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Ok I'm starting DS9 again and am thinking of compiling a list of not dumb and/or crazy Bajorans. I have a feeling it will be a short list.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vedek Bariel is a nice dude.

That famous flute player does a great cover of the DS9 theme.

Kira's next Bajoran president boyfriend seems chill.

That Bajoran who got lucky and killed a nude Gul is cool.

Odo's dad has his issues but in the end he wants to make up for them and for Odo to be happy.

Marta is flawless.

Jake's girlfriend is... a pedophile actually so she isn't cool.

Gul Dukat's daughter is half Bajoran.

The guy who takes over for the Storyteller is trying his best.

The general follows orders and responsibly resigns after Steven Weber fucks it all up.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Leeta is 100%

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Warp out, with me oh yeah
Warp out, with me tonight
The Risa colony’s gonna give me lots o’ honey
Deanna says that would be alright

*Nightbird solo begins*

Orv
May 4, 2011
*From somewhere in the back* Spacebird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The guy who takes over for the Storyteller is trying his best.

The one who tries to kill O'Brien? Actually that episode is a couple episodes after The Nagus and has a similar plot.