Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Getting caught up on PS4 games. Nier Automata seems to have good reviews.

Should I play the previous game, Nier, or the Drakengard games to appreciate it more?

first nier is good but don't play drakengard even if you can. the let's play archive has all of them if you want the full yoko taro experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is gross don’t do it

Everybody dies brother, I'm just hoping his next games takes so long it never gets released because he makes bad games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

These mean nothing its just tm camping

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

acksplode posted:

If he fired a bunch of people with a press release then I dunno :shrug:

He tweeted it before letting anyone at the company, including the lead producer on Radical Heights, know at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kirbysuperstar posted:

He tweeted it before letting anyone at the company, including the lead producer on Radical Heights, know at all.

That producer tweeted that they had a "surprise meeting" at the office and then CliffyB posted the tweet immediately after

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cliffy B has always seemed like a douche I guess that confirms it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's a level designer that has coasted along on his rep for ages.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so I was watching a video about dark souls remastered and I can kinda see why some people would be mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhkeJncVxjs

what they do or do not change aside, bamco is removing the original dark souls from steam so all the mods people made for it are going too. the remaster is basically what dark souls on pc should have launched as, but that's about it so there wouldn't actually be any reason to buy it if you didn't want to keep playing online. so yea, understandable issues for pc players but that doesn't really affect people buying the game on console. tho some of the stuff they didn't change is unfortunate, like chain backstabbing

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was gonna say that it couldn’t possibly have been that long ago but then I looked it up and it was literally 6 years ago lol

That teaser was a recruitment video, they hadn't started development on the game itself at that point. There was probably an early script and that's it.
It was an interesting tactic, but probably paid off very well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If anything it probably has to do with Smash Brothers Switch.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

We're now that much farther from getting Jazz Jackrabbit 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HMS Beagle posted:

We're now that much farther from getting Jazz Jackrabbit 3.

Farther than big ads on GoG.com celebrating both games and a competition to win a sealed original boxed copy of JJ2?

Because if that wasn't gonna lead to JJ3, nothing was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

so I was watching a video about dark souls remastered and I can kinda see why some people would be mad

what they do or do not change aside, bamco is removing the original dark souls from steam so all the mods people made for it are going too. the remaster is basically what dark souls on pc should have launched as, but that's about it so there wouldn't actually be any reason to buy it if you didn't want to keep playing online. so yea, understandable issues for pc players but that doesn't really affect people buying the game on console. tho some of the stuff they didn't change is unfortunate, like chain backstabbing

I'm guessing the people who already own it get to keep the original version right? If there is really someone who cares that much about mods in a 7 year old game and they haven't bought it yet it's on them.

I don't see any reason to be mad about it but it's just not that exciting. It's cool for people who missed it. If Fromsoft was involved and it was more of a remake i'd be stoked but I already played it like 7 times. The switch version is more enticing because at least I can play it portable now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 15, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because if that wasn't gonna lead to JJ3, nothing was.

A little Jazz demo was the tutorial project for UE3 when it first came to iOS or something, eons ago. I've long given up hope.

also I didn't like jazz 2 at all

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Steve Yun posted:

Should I play the previous game, Nier, or the Drakengard games to appreciate it more?
Play original Nier because it's a great game. It's not necessary to play it to get Automata though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not mad because nearly none of that applies to me personally, but I still cancelled my preorder. Playing the network test made me realize that I don't really want to pay $40 just to play Dark Souls in 2018 at 60FPS. Nothing against the game, really, I've just already had more Dark Souls 1 than I need in one lifetime.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

They could have done so much more than they did. I lost interest

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I tried to buy it twice today but both times i hovered over it and said id wait for a sale
I got detroit same day anyway

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is the DLC in South Park Fractured But Whole worth it or too short?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

They could have done so much more than they did. I lost interest

Do you really want whoever is handling the remaster to change mechanics and add content etc. though? That would seem really weird and of of bounds to me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

Do you really want whoever is handling the remaster to change mechanics and add content etc. though? That would seem really weird and of of bounds to me.

You can change things with the blessings of the creator. Like when the team wanted you to be able to switch convenients on the fly like it future games and couldnt.

Dark souls has a lot of bullshit in there and not fixing it for fear of...breaking it? Messing it up? Out of boundsness?

Naw.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn’t want them to add Robot Gwyn or whatever, but incorporating some of the PC mods concepts would be cool for veterans. Item/enemy randomizer, or some kind of Master Quest/Scholar of the First Sin option.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

You can change things with the blessings of the creator. Like when the team wanted you to be able to switch convenients on the fly like it future games and couldnt.

Dark souls has a lot of bullshit in there and not fixing it for fear of...breaking it? Messing it up? Out of boundsness?

Naw.

I just mean the stuff I'd want to see changed in Dark Souls to get me excited for a rerelease isn't something I'd ever want to see handled by an outside party. Like I'd love to see lost Izalith redesigned to be not lovely, but I think a random group of devs tackling it would be totally out of line.

So a real bare bones remaster is fine but I can't say I'm dying to pay $40 for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If they did a scholar of the first sin thing and just moved enemies/items around I'd be interested. Scholar didn't fix anything wrong with the game but it was fun to go through in a romhacky kind of way. But they'd probably need more of from's involvement to do that.

Making the item randomizer mod official would get me to replay it a bunch and the gungame mod looked fun too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Literally no remaster has ever changed the game significantly so I dunno why people expected DS1 to be any different.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

Tying stuff to framerate is a noob mistake, and if you do any game developing people will laugh at you if you do it. I imagine you can get away with it with very simple games in fixed hardware. But Dark Souls don't look like that simple.
I’ve been in the industry a decade and believe me, developers do this all the time in games from small to massive. Anything in a bespoke engine in a console exclusive (at the time) with a locked frame rate is probably working with frame counts all over the code.

Boy, do I have stories.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sakurazuka posted:

Literally no remaster has ever changed the game significantly so I dunno why people expected DS1 to be any different.

I was gonna make a joke about the FFVII remake but then a part of me realized that its gonna take ten years and be this cobbled together mishmash of different development ideas and trends spanning a decade and will be like an anime Duke Nukem Forever and I bummed myself the heck out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also a ground up remake which is completely different to a remaster

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dark Souls 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but honestly at this point I don't feel the need to ever play it again. If my mind ever changes, I'm pretty sure the remastered edition will be a lot cheaper or I can just stick with my old DSfixed PC version.

I didn't even play Dark Souls 3 because I'd had my Souls fill by then, and going back to slow Souls combat after Bloodborne didn't seem that exciting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't say I expected it to. I said it's just not that exciting for me without it. I've got multiple ways to play it already and I've dumped a bajillion hours into it. It;s one of my favorite games. I just wish there was something that made me want to buy it yet again and a FPS/resolution bump isn't enough.

It's cool for the few who haven't played it though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

I didn't even play Dark Souls 3 because I'd had my Souls fill by then, and going back to slow Souls combat after Bloodborne didn't seem that exciting.

Dark Souls 3 rules and it's basically as fast as Bloodborne you are missing out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wolfsheim posted:

I was gonna make a joke about the FFVII remake but then a part of me realized that its gonna take ten years and be this cobbled together mishmash of different development ideas and trends spanning a decade and will be like an anime Duke Nukem Forever and I bummed myself the heck out

:same:

veni veni veni posted:

Dark Souls 3 rules and it's basically as fast as Bloodborne you are missing out.

I didn't fall in love with DS3 after BB but I certainly enjoyed it a lot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

veni veni veni posted:

Eh, maybe when I can get it for ten euros. I'm probably just tired of Souls-style games in general, I had no interest in Nioh either.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Steve Yun posted:

I strongly disagree with the general sentiment that the original Nier is optional before playing Automata. If you skip it or even just watch an LP, you're going to have an inferior experience with Automata. Most people who say otherwise never actually played the original themselves, so they don't even know how much of Automata's experience they missed. Only skip the original if you have absolutely no way of playing it. Fortunately, the original is a quite amazing game and was easily my personal GOTY 2010. Play it first. Do it.

The Drakengard series is pretty skippable. The original Nier takes place in the aftermath of the joke ending of Drakengard 1. Drakengard is a really bad game so just YouTube that ending.

Playing Drakengard 3 before Automata will slightly enhance the Automata experience and give a bit of context to some things but is nowhere near as necessary as Nier 1. D3 is a pretty divisive game. A lot of people hate it, but I love it in spite of its many issues. But you can skip it with no problem.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Eh, maybe when I can get it for ten euros. I'm probably just tired of Souls-style games in general, I had no interest in Nioh either.

Dark souls 3 will make you sick of the souls series if you aren't, so if you already are then steer clear unless you start feeling more enthusiastic about it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Digirat posted:

Dark souls 3 will make you sick of the souls series if you aren't, so if you already are then steer clear unless you start feeling more enthusiastic about it

Yea, it was enough for me, too. I made it to the end and felt it was a good sendoff for the series, even if the ending/final boss felt incredibly tacked on for the sake of closing the circle. I don't think I've played it more than once all the way through, but I kinda want to now, since I feel as if I've forgotten huge chunks of the game. It was a good game, but I wouldn't call it mandatory playing for anyone who feels like they've already played enough Souls-like games (or don't like Souls games.)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Does Tomb Raider have those black distortion blocks during launch or did I gently caress up my installation somehow? The console threw an error during download but i think it was rest mode switch related.
p.s. tomb raider is a cool game, gonna play all three

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shy posted:

Does Tomb Raider have those black distortion blocks during launch or did I gently caress up my installation somehow? The console threw an error during download but i think it was rest mode switch related.
p.s. tomb raider is a cool game, gonna play all three

I never beat Tomb Raider 2013 on PC because the second to last room never loaded in properly and was missing textures and geometry. This happened on multiple saves, over multiple installs over 2 computers. I think the game just hates some people.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Hello everyone, I'm having fun with God of War and I am still unable to beat Yhorm in Dark souls 3. I'm starting to think that life is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Von Linus posted:

Hello everyone, I'm having fun with God of War and I am still unable to beat Yhorm in Dark souls 3. I'm starting to think that life is pointless.

Do you know the one stupid loving trick to beating Yhorm?