Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

abelwingnut posted:

just got my mini in green. the color’s much lighter than i expected. how are the other colors compared to the online photos? i would check them out at the store but covid and all.

The black one is more of a dark blue/purple in bright sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fedule posted:

Phone to phone setup. It's all but absolutely seamless. Copies all settings, profiles, customisations, everything. The setup will walk you through it.

The ONLY thing that I can pick as negative is that any app that is no longer available on the store will not transfer.

It will transfer the icon, but it downloads the app from the store to your new device, not transported off the old phone.

I had a very useful snow forecast app that is now gone :/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The blue iPhone 12’s is better than the pacific blue on the Pro’s.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Science Goy posted:

Based on the longevity of a typical pop socket, I would be concerned with breakage. A new pop socket is pretty cheap, but those style cases are pretty expensive to replace a few times a year...

I can't say I've ever had issues with the longevity of a PopSocket but those cases use the new style where the entire thing is replaceable. The case has the base built in but the accordion thing and the top of the PopSocket can be twisted out and replaced.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The blue is very nice.

The black 12/mini is the best blue though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are popsockets any good? I haven’t known anyone who’s used one and they seem like they’d be annoying to hold.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Snowy posted:

Are popsockets any good? I haven’t known anyone who’s used one and they seem like they’d be annoying to hold.

They're very good for improving grip.

Tend to wear down fast though, work kinda lovely with cases.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Fedule posted:

Phone to phone setup. It's all but absolutely seamless. Copies all settings, profiles, customisations, everything. The setup will walk you through it.

Just looked it up and yeah that sounds awesome, especially since I’m keeping this 7 as a backup phone anyways. Thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just out of curiosity is anyone using a screen protector nowadays. I really want to take care of this mini so I’m for whatever reason thinking between a case/protector or just going with a case and AC+.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I’ve used a leather case + glass screen protector for the last five years or so(6s plus, 8plus and 11) with good results - no breakage or significant scratches/dings. It keeps the thickness reasonably thin, and I’m fairly careful with my phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Just out of curiosity is anyone using a screen protector nowadays. I really want to take care of this mini so I’m for whatever reason thinking between a case/protector or just going with a case and AC+.

The reviews are saying that the iPhone 12 glass is more durable but I guess as a result more easy to scratch or scuff. Screen protectors get a big debate of yes and no here, I think it really comes down to do you want to keep your phone from getting scratched. I personally never minded the feel and recommend it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Skeezy posted:

can't remember which outfit did the test but they had to repeatedly drop the mini onto concrete from like 12' before the back glass gave way. the front was still pristine.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I haven't used a screen protector in ages. Probably 5-6 years or so. But my XS Max has dozens of microscratches all over the glass that was driving me absolutely insane so I forced myself to buy a AmFilm Glass Screen Protector, it was I think 10 bucks for 3 protectors. It installed crazy easily and I really like it. I can barely tell its there unless I'm swiping in from an edge or something.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Skeezy posted:

The blue iPhone 12’s is better than the pacific blue on the Pro’s.

LOL

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
:hmmyes:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Laugh it up but I really like the matte rails in that blue color. Also tbh it matches the blue Apple Watch.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Anyone have a recommendation for a silicone case other than the official one? I’ve been having some issues with the official one and corners of the phone popping out while it’s in my pocket.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Been hearing of the popped corners issue happening on the leather cases as well. Not seeing it with the 12 mini case but maybe ask Apple about a replacement?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a silicone case other than the official one? I’ve been having some issues with the official one and corners of the phone popping out while it’s in my pocket.

Not quite Silicon but I’m a big fan of Speck cases , specifically the Presidio. No issues with it on my 12 so far.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Snowy posted:

I gave the Oh Snap grip/stand a shot and really like it. They are only a few dollars more than a pop socket. It’s only 3 mm thick where pop sockets are 8 mm or so. It also has very strong magnets in it so you can attach it to anything metal, or the Oh Snap mount plates which are reusable. I put a mount plate on my nightstand so the phone won’t move while charging. They also make car mounts and table stands if that’s more your style.

I’ve never had a pop socket but use this thing more than I thought I would on the 12 Pro Max.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Sold my 11 Pro to a friend who was still on a 6, now I'm using a spare SE from work. Don't mind the size but the camera sucks compared to the 11pro.

Doesn't help that the estimated shipping date for my 12 Pro is saying like 2 weeks, just hope it's a bit quicker than that.....

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there some kind of delay with entering your passcode? I swear nearly every time I type my 6 digit code it doesn’t register an input. It’s done this on multiple devices and I’m starting to think it’s something the OS is doing.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there some kind of delay with entering your passcode? I swear nearly every time I type my 6 digit code it doesn’t register an input. It’s done this on multiple devices and I’m starting to think it’s something the OS is doing.

This was happening with my 12 Mini but the 14.2.1 update fixed it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I feel like it’s related to the animation of showing the lock screen. You have to wait for it to “settle” before you can start to type your passcode, or the first digit won’t register.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've had that happen for years, and then of course when it says incorrect passcode there's an animation/delay of the wrong code clearing out, which usually leads to another (or another four or five) incorrect attempts as I keep trying to key it in as quickly as possible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are there likely to be any non-carrier related deals on the 12 or is it just way too early for that to actually happen?

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Apple saying I have 5 days to get my phone mailed into them and I literally just got the trade in kit Thursday. :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got my 12PM in blue and this is quite a big phone! Hopefully the 800mhz T-Mobile 5G has better range out in the high desert than it’s LTE.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I actually have the “good” 5G in my area (mm wave I think?) but Verzion wants to charge me an extra ~$30/month to access it (the “nationwide” 5G is already included in my plan but largely unavailable in my area because I guess they are trying to build out mmWave coverage instead).
The problem is:
1. COVID so I’m always on home wifi and never go anywhere.
2. Coverage is terrible. Judging by their coverage map it really is street by street and doesn’t even cover my morning jog around the neighborhood. At the rate Verizon is going it will be a decade before there is any real coverage (don’t the towers have to be placed basically every ~500 feet or so?)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pulcinella posted:

I actually have the “good” 5G in my area (mm wave I think?) but Verzion wants to charge me an extra ~$30/month to access it (the “nationwide” 5G is already included in my plan but largely unavailable in my area because I guess they are trying to build out mmWave coverage instead).
The problem is:
1. COVID so I’m always on home wifi and never go anywhere.
2. Coverage is terrible. Judging by their coverage map it really is street by street and doesn’t even cover my morning jog around the neighborhood. At the rate Verizon is going it will be a decade before there is any real coverage (don’t the towers have to be placed basically every ~500 feet or so?)

Charge should be only $10, not $30, but still, you’re right even $10 is probably not worth it.

Weird on nationwide, most areas that have MM wave also have nationwide.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear Tim Apple,

In a future iOS could you have it if you long-press any app icon, there’s an option to clear notification badges? That would be neat.

No I’m not dealing with that thing where Mail.app claims you have an unread email even though you don’t and instinctively clicking it every five minutes, what makes you ask.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

fknlo posted:

Has anyone gone from the SE 2020 to the 12 mini? How do you like it? I think there's a good chance I finally switch from google fi after I learned they throttle you to 0.2 mbps if you hit the cap and I might as well take advantage of a black friday offer if I do it.

I did this. Love the taller better quality screen. FaceID is great except when out with a mask. Haven’t noticed any real difference in battery life. The wide angle lens seems unnecessary. Doesn’t feel any faster than an SE but that is a fast phone already. Very happy with my purchase and I was already very happy with SE.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

smackfu posted:

I did this. Love the taller better quality screen. FaceID is great except when out with a mask. Haven’t noticed any real difference in battery life. The wide angle lens seems unnecessary. Doesn’t feel any faster than an SE but that is a fast phone already. Very happy with my purchase and I was already very happy with SE.

Is the picture quality any better?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

nwin posted:

Not sure if it’s the better camera or the better screen but the HDR on some of my photos is really impressive. Like the bright sun is really very bright.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

12 mini is a huge upgrade from 8. Battery is very great, camera really great, the bezel-less screen is such a leap for me idk why I’d upgrade from this.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

jokes posted:

12 mini is a huge upgrade from 8. Battery is very great, camera really great, the bezel-less screen is such a leap for me idk why I’d upgrade from this.

13 Mini Pro.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Charge should be only $10, not $30, but still, you’re right even $10 is probably not worth it.

Weird on nationwide, most areas that have MM wave also have nationwide.

Maybe it is only an extra $10 but Verizon’s app is so terrible (probably on purpose) that I can’t figure out how to just add it to my plan (or even browse other plans). It wants to just recommend a new plan to me that has it included but is an extra $30/month.

But yeah even for $10 a month it’s not worth it currently.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe a 120Hz screen would encourage me but probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

nwin posted:

I went from a XS to a 12 and I do not miss the 2x zoom as digital zoom is quite good and the image quality overall is significantly less noisy across all conditions. IMO the XS camera was worse than the one in my 7.

The wide angle is useful for fitting in big group photos or landscapes.