Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It joins them even if that’s selected. It just doesn’t notify me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It joins them even if that’s selected. It just doesn’t notify me.

it'll do that for "known" networks. you can toggle off auto-join in their individual connection details.

i'm not sure why you don't want to just turn wifi off tho

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oneiros posted:

it'll do that for "known" networks. you can toggle off auto-join in their individual connection details.
You mean....every single public WiFi network I ever walk or take the train through? I just got home from a trip to the store and I was watching it connect to wifi networks left and right.

Is there something really screwy going on here?

Edit:

Oneiros posted:

i'm not sure why you don't want to just turn wifi off tho
because it turns itself back on the next day. And it tells me it will.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it possible this is Japan specific stuff? I heard that both the hardware and iOS are slightly different in Japan due to local regulations and stuff.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean....every single public WiFi network I ever walk or take the train through? I just got home from a trip to the store and I was watching it connect to wifi networks left and right.

Is there something really screwy going on here?

Edit:
because it turns itself back on the next day. And it tells me it will.

if it's connected to them before then it'll auto-connect to them again until auto-join is turned off or they're "forgotten". unfortunately, you can only turn off auto-join or "forget" the networks if they're actually in range and appear in the list of networks so that sucks. i guess resetting network settings would also work but that clears everything.

if you turn off wifi from settings (instead of control center) it shouldn't reenable itself the next day at least.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Only if you turn it off in the command centre. If you go to settings it should stay off. :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oneiros posted:

if it's connected to them before then it'll auto-connect to them again until auto-join is turned off or they're "forgotten". unfortunately, you can only turn off auto-join or "forget" the networks if they're actually in range and appear in the list of networks so that sucks.

if you turn off wifi from settings (instead of control center) it shouldn't reenable itself the next day at least.
Jeez. So I need to do that really fast over and over again while I whiz past each WiFi area on the train?

I didn’t know the switch in the options menu was different than the one you get when you swipe up. These were all things that I couldn’t figure out how to google at all. It seems like no matter what keywords I chose, it would come up with 1 million pages about what to do if your phone DOESN’T connect to public WiFi, so I was getting really frustrated.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Jeez. So I need to do that really fast over and over again while I whiz past each WiFi area on the train?

I didn’t know the switch in the options menu was different than the one you get when you swipe up. These were all things that I couldn’t figure out how to google at all. It seems like no matter what keywords I chose, it would come up with 1 million pages about what to do if your phone DOESN’T connect to public WiFi, so I was getting really frustrated.

sorry, i keep ninja editing crap in; Reset Network Settings should nuke all known wifi connection details (along with any other custom network config you've setup, so beware) and let you toggle off the global auto/ask-to-join stuff before you head out again. it's a heavy-handed approach, but it might work for you.

also, the wifi toggle in the control center only temporarily disabling wifi was a real dumb change apple did a while ago and it confused the hell out of a lot of people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I turned off my Wi-Fi in the options menu and about a minute later it immediately told me that I should turn it back on to improve location accuracy. Is it going to ask me that periodically forever?

Edit: is Apple responding to some series of complaints from people who turned their Wi-Fi off and then forgot about it, burned through their whole data plan by accident and then blamed Apple, or something like that?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 21, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope. Most of us don't have every wifi in the country in our connection history. I only have five networks in my list and those are the only ones my phone automatically connects to.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

In the states most people have unlimited data but we still use Wi-Fi. Get the apple support app to search their knowledgebase or read the iPhone user guide since you aren't great at googling. It will answer all of your questions dude. Android allows you to toggle off WiFi from the drop down completely but iOS does make you go into settings

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'd be shocked if most people in the us had "unlimited" mobile data, even among iphone users. but yes, the design decisions make sense when you consider that they are intended to ensure that people are connected via the "best" channel as seamlessly as possible.

of course the world doesn't always operate the way apple thinks it should. this is obviously a fault in the world.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I do think it’s not uncommon to turn off the WiFi for some random reason (like the ISP is down) and then forget to turn it back on and burn through your data accidentally.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You are all WiFi-ing wrong.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

I do think it’s not uncommon to turn off the WiFi for some random reason (like the ISP is down) and then forget to turn it back on and burn through your data accidentally.

Yup. So turning off WiFi from control center only toggling off for a day makes sense.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

WiFi in Japan has always been terrible, so it makes sense to frequently not want to use it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If I were to put a loaded shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger whenever there's a free Wifi hotspot, I'd probably live to the ripe age of 120. Even the loving McDonald's here only gives you an key, that lasts an hour, if you order something.

Also, I'm sure glad Wallonia delayed 5G deployment indefinitely because of some radiation woo-woo.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Don’t some carriers set your phone up to auto-join their public WiFi hotspots? I seem to remember back when I was on AT&T that the “attwifi” hotspots were set to auto-join without me having done anything. Maybe it’s something like that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last time I checked attwifi was still a special hotspot but you could go into the settings and it had a special toggle to tell it not to connect to it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is a WhatsApp question, but it involves iPhones, and I'm in a weird and suboptimal spot and I want to know if there's theoretically an optimal outcome or if I'm just gonna have to lose a week's history somewhere.

The situation:

1) iPhone 11 had my complete chat history on it. It has never used WhatsApp's iCloud backup.

2) I got an iPhone 12 mini. It rules! I set it up using phone to phone. Now the 12 has my complete history and is my current WhatsApp phone. The 11 is no longer current but still has its data. Neither phone uses WA iCloud.

3) It is a week later. Irritatingly my 12 mini has (???????????) which caused moisture(?) to get under the camera lens somehow. It must go in for repair. I do a full backup of my 12 mini to my Mac and wipe it. Possibly this was the point where I should have done a WA backup, but I didn't.

4) Now I'm back on my 11 and everything's as it was. It's now current again but that week (week 1) is missing. I'm about to be without my 12 for presumably another week (week 2), depending on how fast Apple turn around whatever it is they're doing.

5) I am currently doing a WA backup from my 11. It is stuck at 8%. This is infuriating (I am signed properly in to iCloud. I have enough space in my iCloud. I am connected to power and WiFi. I've used various blunt hacks to cancel and retry the backup and it always gets stuck at the exact same point every time. Ideas?).

6) Eventually my 12 (or a new one) will come back and I will swap back to it. If I do a phone to phone, I will lose week 1 forever. If I restore from my backup, I will lose week 2 forever.

I am not a huge baby and will survive losing one of these weeks, but I would like, somehow, to consolidate the two WA states. Is it possible? Even if it's a *slight* pain?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 21, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

How are people feeling about the MagSafe puck after a week or two? Any meaningful difference from Lightning cable or a Qi charger?
I got an ESR puck with not-MagSafe but compatible magnets (I think I linked it earlier), it's ok. In general the thing I like is that either the magnets are weak enough or the puck is heavy enough that it works like a regular Qi puck, I can just take the phone off without lifting the puck.

The issues I have are with the raised rubber ring around the sweet spot, the friction of it makes it harder for the magnets to slide the phone into place. Like if you’re close enough it’ll work, but it’s definitely a struggle against the friction. The other problem is the size of the puck vs the camera bump, it makes it a little harder to tell where the center is cause the edge is overlapping with the bump (might not be an issue on the regular/Max 12s though).

The magnets are enough to give you a feel for where the sweet spot is, but those two little details make it a little more annoying to get into place. Got a bumper case coming in soon which will probably change the dynamics a bit cause the ring and the camera bump shouldn’t matter at that point.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fedule posted:

This is a WhatsApp question, but it involves iPhones, and I'm in a weird and suboptimal spot and I want to know if there's theoretically an optimal outcome or if I'm just gonna have to lose a week's history somewhere.

The situation:

1) iPhone 11 had my complete chat history on it. It has never used WhatsApp's iCloud backup.

2) I got an iPhone 12 mini. It rules! I set it up using phone to phone. Now the 12 has my complete history and is my current WhatsApp phone. The 11 is no longer current but still has its data. Neither phone uses WA iCloud.

3) It is a week later. Irritatingly my 12 mini has (???????????) which caused moisture(?) to get under the camera lens somehow. It must go in for repair. I do a full backup of my 12 mini to my Mac and wipe it. Possibly this was the point where I should have done a WA backup, but I didn't.

4) Now I'm back on my 11 and everything's as it was. It's now current again but that week (week 1) is missing. I'm about to be without my 12 for presumably another week (week 2), depending on how fast Apple turn around whatever it is they're doing.

5) I am currently doing a WA backup from my 11. It is stuck at 8%. This is infuriating (I am signed properly in to iCloud. I have enough space in my iCloud. I am connected to power and WiFi. I've used various blunt hacks to cancel and retry the backup and it always gets stuck at the exact same point every time. Ideas?).

6) Eventually my 12 (or a new one) will come back and I will swap back to it. If I do a phone to phone, I will lose week 1 forever. If I restore from my backup, I will lose week 2 forever.

I am not a huge baby and will survive losing one of these weeks, but I would like, somehow, to consolidate the two WA states. Is it possible? Even if it's a *slight* pain?

Can/Did you not restore your 12 mini's backup to your 11?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

astral posted:

Can/Did you not restore your 12 mini's backup to your 11?

For the time being I didn't consider that but it would probably be a decent way to cut the losses here.

E: On closer inspection, I cannot restore the 12 onto the 11 because the 12 was running 14.2.1 and the 11 is running 14.2, and for reasons known only to Apple that update doesn't seem to be available to non 12 iPhones.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 21, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
haha incidentally I did a restore on the 11 from a backup from this afternoon (unrelated to above concerns) and now it's stuck in an Apple Symbol Reboot Loop, haha :shepface:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fedule posted:

E: On closer inspection, I cannot restore the 12 onto the 11 because the 12 was running 14.2.1 and the 11 is running 14.2, and for reasons known only to Apple that update doesn't seem to be available to non 12 iPhones.

That sucks.

Fedule posted:

haha incidentally I did a restore on the 11 from a backup from this afternoon (unrelated to above concerns) and now it's stuck in an Apple Symbol Reboot Loop, haha :shepface:

That sucks even more. DFU mode time?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Three weeks with my SE and I can say l love downgrading from my 6s+ sent back my 12 pro What a great cheap phone. Now I want to be on the official SE train. If they release an X size SE I’ll buy it happily in 3 years (my guess is it will be iphone 12 size, but still.) For 99% of what I think people use phones for, this device for $450 is just such a good value.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

astral posted:

That sucks even more. DFU mode time?

Looks like that about pulled it back. No idea what happened.

So yeah I'm stuck with the 11 I have until Apple deign to release 14.2.1 for non-12 iPhones. It looks like my simplest case will be, if that happens promptly, to restore that to the 11 if the update ever comes out, otherwise I'll be picking whichever week's messages I value less, unless there really is a good way to consolidate WA backups, which I'm given to understand there isn't unless I'm missing something.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Has anyone gone from the SE 2020 to the 12 mini? How do you like it? I think there's a good chance I finally switch from google fi after I learned they throttle you to 0.2 mbps if you hit the cap and I might as well take advantage of a black friday offer if I do it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

fknlo posted:

Has anyone gone from the SE 2020 to the 12 mini? How do you like it? I think there's a good chance I finally switch from google fi after I learned they throttle you to 0.2 mbps if you hit the cap and I might as well take advantage of a black friday offer if I do it.

I went from an iPhone 11 to a 12 mini and love it. Every day, the smaller size and weight offer me some convenience that went out the window when phones stopped fitting in the palm of your hand. I don't need a screen any bigger than this on my phone, but that's subjective. Battery life has stabilized on the lesser side of normal after the first week or so.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey all, so in a wild turn of events, my grandfather is taking my old 11 Pro Max.

He has, notoriously, been bad with breaking phones. I'm looking to buy him the best Otterbox and then, I guess, just power out with the best glass screen protector I can get. What are my options here? Planning on just making a trip to BestBuy since I'm going to see them tomorrow, but if it's something I have to order, I can just put it off for a few days.

I was also thinking of one of the Otterboxes with a PopClip, but I don't know if it'd be good for him. His hands are monstrous. Like, they make apples look like pop rocks. Would the PopClip be useless for him?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

enojy posted:

I went from an iPhone 11 to a 12 mini and love it. Every day, the smaller size and weight offer me some convenience that went out the window when phones stopped fitting in the palm of your hand. I don't need a screen any bigger than this on my phone, but that's subjective. Battery life has stabilized on the lesser side of normal after the first week or so.

These are my exact thoughts as well. I was worried about the battery as I have been working from home and use my phone as a phone a lot. I have had no issues. No need to top off as of yet. Usually end the day around 20%, and with “heavy” use.

Form factor is amazing. I will never go back to a bigger phone. This thing is perfect.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey all, so in a wild turn of events, my grandfather is taking my old 11 Pro Max.

He has, notoriously, been bad with breaking phones. I'm looking to buy him the best Otterbox and then, I guess, just power out with the best glass screen protector I can get. What are my options here? Planning on just making a trip to BestBuy since I'm going to see them tomorrow, but if it's something I have to order, I can just put it off for a few days.

I was also thinking of one of the Otterboxes with a PopClip, but I don't know if it'd be good for him. His hands are monstrous. Like, they make apples look like pop rocks. Would the PopClip be useless for him?

You're better off getting him a Defender case.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You're better off getting him a Defender case.

They sell the Otterbox Defenders with PopClips now.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

They sell the Otterbox Defenders with PopClips now.

Oh dang, it's been a while since I got an Otterbox. That's cool. :aaaaa:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Based on the longevity of a typical pop socket, I would be concerned with breakage. A new pop socket is pretty cheap, but those style cases are pretty expensive to replace a few times a year...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fourwood posted:

Don’t some carriers set your phone up to auto-join their public WiFi hotspots? I seem to remember back when I was on AT&T that the “attwifi” hotspots were set to auto-join without me having done anything. Maybe it’s something like that?
That seems possible. My last iPhone with the same carrier was like this too.

I reset my network settings so maybe that deleted it?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just ordered an iPhone 12 mini to replace my iPhone 7. Was wondering is there a way to backup my settings without having my photos on iCloud? I use a different service for that but the description for iCloud backup says photo library but when you turn it on it only has an option to back up now. I just want all my apps and settings so I don’t have to mess with that when I get the new phone.

What’s the best way to do this?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Social Animal posted:

Just ordered an iPhone 12 mini to replace my iPhone 7. Was wondering is there a way to backup my settings without having my photos on iCloud? I use a different service for that but the description for iCloud backup says photo library but when you turn it on it only has an option to back up now. I just want all my apps and settings so I don’t have to mess with that when I get the new phone.

What’s the best way to do this?

Phone to phone setup. It's all but absolutely seamless. Copies all settings, profiles, customisations, everything. The setup will walk you through it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just got my mini in green. the color’s much lighter than i expected. how are the other colors compared to the online photos? i would check them out at the store but covid and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

abelwingnut posted:

just got my mini in green. the color’s much lighter than i expected. how are the other colors compared to the online photos? i would check them out at the store but covid and all.

The blue and red are gorgeous

Absolutely the bees knees