Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
I have a simple modest proposal. Give the Kurds 100 billion dollars of modern weaponry and let them bring peace to the region like they did under Saladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

DrProsek posted:

If the thread will indulge a little more crystal ball gazing, any predictions on what the Assyrians, Yazidis, and Turkmens will do should Kurdistan officially declare independence? My prediction: Assyrians and Yazidis, as they are ethno-religious minorities, support becoming part of Kurdistan as the best of the three new nations in terms of stability, and being the least likely to attempt to genocide them. The majority of Turkmen meanwhile stay a part of Iraq and do not join ISIStopia. This prediction is based on :butt:.
The Yazidi are Kurds.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rosscifer posted:

I have a simple modest proposal. Give the Kurds 100 billion dollars of modern weaponry and let them bring peace to the region like they did under Saladin.

Saladin founded his dynasty (which stated falling apart as soon as Jerusalem was conquered basically) on the broken kingdoms of his many Muslim neighbors, aside from making temporary peace with Richard he wasn't exactly a peacenik.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
If the boundaries in the region are drawn more according to ethnic/religious compositions, what will be the next step? Local cold war?

I suppose what I'm asking is - war is a horrible means of population control. In a cold war, one can also expect people to try to 'breed out' their enemies. What is the solution for the region that will essentially make people try to want to live for themselves, reduce the population/stress on the environment, etc.?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

meristem posted:

If the boundaries in the region are drawn more according to ethnic/religious compositions, what will be the next step? Local cold war?

Starvation of the Sunni population because it's all on lovely land.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Svartvit posted:

The Yazidi are Kurds.

A good chunk of Yazidis consider themselves a distinct ethnic group and refuse to identify as Kurdish. There are a couple of other ethno religious groups like the Shabak and Zaza who are also resistant to being included under a single Kurdish umbrella.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

Starvation of the Sunni population because it's all on lovely land.

They're not starving now, and last I checked it wasn't because Malaki was shipping them free food.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Roland posted:

They're not starving now, and last I checked it wasn't because Malaki was shipping them free food.

Intra-state trade is much different from interstate trade, especially if you've explicitly redrawn these borders so you don't have to deal with those other guys.

Most of the oil is not in the Sunni region either:

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 28, 2014

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/06/iraq-army-launches-offensive-retake-tikrit-201462872244724634.html

The Iraqi Army, supported by heavy armored divisions and Shiite militias, has launched a massive offensive to retake Tikrit and have gained some ground inside the city. Reports are saying that some neutral Sunni tribes have switched allegiance to the government and are supplying intel to Iraqi forces due to looting and executions by ISIS and their pals.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The latest report is that the Iraqi Army has stopped because the city is encircled with mines.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

suboptimal posted:

The latest report is that the Iraqi Army has stopped because the city is encircled with mines.

I wonder if they mean those enormous, city block-sized mines we have seen.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Martin Random posted:

Turkey is starting to make noises that it is willing to accept the existence of an independent Kurdish state on its borders. This is pretty big and promising news for the Kurds. Not so promising for the continued existence of the nation of Iraq. The language of inevitability is starting to snowball with regards to eventual partitioning.

I Guess Turkey suddenly realizes that a buffer-state comes in handy now that ISIS is expanding.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sergg posted:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/06/iraq-army-launches-offensive-retake-tikrit-201462872244724634.html

The Iraqi Army, supported by heavy armored divisions and Shiite militias, has launched a massive offensive to retake Tikrit and have gained some ground inside the city. Reports are saying that some neutral Sunni tribes have switched allegiance to the government and are supplying intel to Iraqi forces due to looting and executions by ISIS and their pals.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28077425

Iraq crisis: Tikrit rebels 'push back Iraq army'

Iraqi government forces trying to retake the city of Tikrit from Sunni insurgents have pulled back to a nearby town amid fierce clashes, reports say.

Government troops launched an assault on the city on Saturday with tanks, armoured vehicles and air support.

Eyewitnesses say both sides suffered heavy losses and that the army had to pull back to Dijla, 25km to the south

lol

so what happens when ISIS takes Baghdad?

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp
I think Iran should take over parts of Iraq and Syira. They are the most stable country in the middle east. In which I mean their government and institutions are the strongest.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
There's an obvious reason for Turkey to support an independent Kurdistan within Iraqi territory. Let's call it the 'Israeli-transfer ideal'. You have a state already, outside of Turkish borders. Go there if you want a state. Will be easier to shut down Turkish Kurd independence if all Turkish Kurds have the right to become nationals of another state.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The PKK-Turkey conflict is also a different beast compared to a few decades ago. Besides, Realpolitik sometimes makes you choose between two unappealing options, tolerating a Kurdish buffer state may be preferable for Turkey in this situation.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28077425

Iraq crisis: Tikrit rebels 'push back Iraq army'

Iraqi government forces trying to retake the city of Tikrit from Sunni insurgents have pulled back to a nearby town amid fierce clashes, reports say.

Government troops launched an assault on the city on Saturday with tanks, armoured vehicles and air support.

Eyewitnesses say both sides suffered heavy losses and that the army had to pull back to Dijla, 25km to the south

lol

so what happens when ISIS takes Baghdad?

BBC is late to the party, that's yesterdays news, apparently the Iraqi military went back in today and have been doing better.

https://translate.google.se/transla...%2Far&sandbox=1

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The latest video from ISIS - The End of Skyes-Picot, in English!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyM0_sv5h88

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

BBC is late to the party, that's yesterdays news, apparently the Iraqi military went back in today and have been doing better.

https://translate.google.se/transla...%2Far&sandbox=1

Wouldn't trust anything the government is saying, TBH. WaPo and wire services have said in last couple hours that the army has retreated. That link does appear to be correct in observing that they're still holding the university grounds, though.

Also, chances are increasing that ISIS will formally proclaim a caliphate soon.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently Iraq received a party of 5 Su-25 for CAS from Russia, in addition to some number of Su-27 fighters. Among all the ISIS hullabaloo, Russia is establishing a neat coalition of client states in Iraq-Iran-Syria. Obama needs to hurry up and go bombin', or Maliki might manage to hold out with all the foreign support coming from not-America.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pycckuu posted:

So apparently Iraq received a party of 5 Su-25 for CAS from Russia, in addition to some number of Su-27 fighters. Among all the ISIS hullabaloo, Russia is establishing a neat coalition of client states in Iraq-Iran-Syria. Obama needs to hurry up and go bombin', or Maliki might manage to hold out with all the foreign support coming from not-America.

Thought they got Su-24 Fencers, according to a RT article (and I don't see why they'd lie), or did they get those *as well* as a bunch of Frogfoots and Flankers?

I know they already are rocking Mi-35 and Mi-28 (which are probably a whole lot more useful than Flankers for this fight).

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Pycckuu posted:

Who's training them? It's not like ISIS aren't used to combatting a professional airforce...

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Russia definitely appears to be angling for influence across the whole of the Shi'a Crescent. Should things shake out well for Syria, Iraq and Iran with Russian backing, what might be NATO's take on Russian backed states all along Turkey's border?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

This is surreal to watch.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Annnnnd they've done it. Baghdadi's caliphate is officially declared, per Adnani. Will leave this to better analysts to sort out. Two things that appear certain 1. It's now just the Islamic State, not ISIS and 2. This claim in theory trumps all other claims to jihad, meaning Zawhiri and all branches of AQ owe allegiance now to Baghdadi (according to the Islamic State, that is).

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 29, 2014

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pimpmust posted:

Thought they got Su-24 Fencers, according to a RT article (and I don't see why they'd lie), or did they get those *as well* as a bunch of Frogfoots and Flankers?

I know they already are rocking Mi-35 and Mi-28 (which are probably a whole lot more useful than Flankers for this fight).

There is a video of a Su-25 being unloaded that a guy posted in the Eastern Europe thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zr3fnVXC4U

Media reported earlier that they bought some Su-27s from Belarus, but Belarus is denying it. CNN reports that there is a "contract" for 25 warplanes for example. Also, unless the flankers are one of the "modern" modifications, they will not be able to engage ground targets with guided weapons. It would make more sense for Iraq to purchase ground attackers/bombers anyway since ISIS doesn't have any air assets.

Also, Iraq reportedly already lost at least 2 Mi-35s.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Who's training them? It's not like ISIS aren't used to combatting a professional airforce...
Supposedly Iraq operated Su-25s before so they either have the pilots or the means to train them already. I doubt Russia is sending pilots in addition to the planes, but you never know. Also fast moving ground attack planes or medium/high altitude bombers are much harder to shoot down without anti-air missiles, and I don't know if ISIS managed to capture any of them yet.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

MothraAttack posted:

Annnnnd they've done it. Baghdadi's caliphate is officially declared, per Adnani. Will leave this to better analysts to sort out.

ISIS will now be known as "The Islamic State" according to their announcement. Also, all Jihadist organisations are now demolished, and their former members must pledge allegiance to the Islamic State (or else, I assume).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

ISIS will now be known as "The Islamic State" according to their announcement. Also, all Jihadist organisations are now demolished, and their former members must pledge allegiance to the Islamic State (or else, I assume).

Ramadan Kareem, y'all!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hong XiuQuan posted:

There's an obvious reason for Turkey to support an independent Kurdistan within Iraqi territory. Let's call it the 'Israeli-transfer ideal'. You have a state already, outside of Turkish borders. Go there if you want a state. Will be easier to shut down Turkish Kurd independence if all Turkish Kurds have the right to become nationals of another state.

There's also the option they have to permanently cede some small amount of Turkish land to the Kurds in exchange for getting the rest of them to move in there.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pycckuu posted:

There is a video of a Su-25 being unloaded that a guy posted in the Eastern Europe thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zr3fnVXC4U

Media reported earlier that they bought some Su-27s from Belarus, but Belarus is denying it. CNN reports that there is a "contract" for 25 warplanes for example. Also, unless the flankers are one of the "modern" modifications, they will not be able to engage ground targets with guided weapons. It would make more sense for Iraq to purchase ground attackers/bombers anyway since ISIS doesn't have any air assets.

Also, Iraq reportedly already lost at least 2 Mi-35s.

Supposedly Iraq operated Su-25s before so they either have the pilots or the means to train them already. I doubt Russia is sending pilots in addition to the planes, but you never know. Also fast moving ground attack planes or medium/high altitude bombers are much harder to shoot down without anti-air missiles, and I don't know if ISIS managed to capture any of them yet.

Mercenary/"Advisor" pilots are a thing, so I guess there's always that route to take while they train up some pilots.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Brown Moses posted:

An odd question but what are they likely to be called by the wider world?

Calling them The Islamic State is likely to be offensive and detrimental to the vast majority of far more decent Muslims out there but at the same time that is what they're calling themselves.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here's the relevant part of the Islamic State's English press release:

quote:

Therefore, the shūrā (consultation) council of the Islamic State studied this matter after the Islamic State
– by Allah’s grace – gained the essentials necessary for khilāfah, which the Muslims are sinful for if they
do not try to establish. In light of the fact that the Islamic State has no shar’ī (legal) constraint or excuse
that can justify delaying or neglecting the establishment of the khilāfah such that it would not be sinful,
the Islamic State – represented by ahlul-halli-wal-‘aqd (its people of authority), consisting of its senior
figures, leaders, and the shūrā council – resolved to announce the establishment of the Islamic khilāfah,
the appointment of a khalīfah for the Muslims, and the pledge of allegiance to the shaykh (sheikh), the
mujāhid, the scholar who practices what he preaches, the worshipper, the leader, the warrior, the reviver,
descendent from the family of the Prophet, the slave of Allah, Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Awwād Ibn Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Alī
Ibn Muhammad al-Badrī al-Hāshimī al-Husaynī al-Qurashī by lineage, as-Sāmurrā’ī by birth and
upbringing, al-Baghdādī by residence and scholarship. And he has accepted the bay’ah (pledge of
allegiance). Thus, he is the imam and khalīfah for the Muslims everywhere. Accordingly, the “Iraq and
Shām” in the name of the Islamic State is henceforth removed from all official deliberations and
communications, and the official name is the Islamic State from the date of this declaration.

We clarify to the Muslims that with this declaration of khilāfah, it is incumbent upon all Muslims to pledge
allegiance to the khalīfah Ibrāhīm and support him (may Allah preserve him). The legality of all emirates,
groups, states, and organizations, becomes null by the expansion of the khilāfah’s authority and arrival of
its troops to their areas. Imam Ahmad (may Allah have mercy upon him) said, as reported by ‘Abdūs Ibn
Mālik al-‘Attār, “It is not permissible for anyone who believes in Allah to sleep without considering as
his leader whoever conquers them by the sword until he becomes khalīfah and is called Amīrul-Mu’minīn
(the leader of the believers), whether this leader is righteous or sinful.”

For the TLDR crowd:

1. ISIS' shura council believes that the legal conditions regarding the establishment of a Caliphate have been met.
2. "Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Awwād Ibn Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Alī Ibn Muhammad al-Badrī al-Hāshimī al-Husaynī al-Qurashī" is the name of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, who is now the leader of the Ummah (global community of Muslims, particularly the Sunnis.)
3. All Muslims are required to pledge bay'ah (allegiance) to him.
4. ISIS has dropped the last "IS" from its name- it's now just the Islamic State.

This is Serious Business, and it's really going to be interesting to see how all of the other jihadist groups (i.e. Al-Qaeda Central, AQAP, JN, etc) react to this. Baghdadi et al just threw down the gauntlet, let's see who picks it up.

Edit: Another relevant bit-

quote:

As for you, O soldiers of the platoons and organizations, know that after this consolidation and the
establishment of the khilāfah, the legality of your groups and organizations has become invalid. It is not
permissible for a single person of you who believes in Allah to sleep without having walā’ (loyalty) to the
khalīfah. If your leaders whisper to you claiming it is not a khilāfah, then remember how long they
whispered to you claiming that it was not a state but rather a fictional, cardboard entity, until its certain
news reached you. It is a state. Its news will continue to reach you showing that it is a khilāfah, even if
after time.

IS just declared all other jihadist organizations abolished.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 29, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

"Those terrorists"

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Probably just ISIS or ISIL still since no one is going to recognize their new country.

edit: or "The Group Formerly Known As ISIS"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

suboptimal posted:

IS just declared all other jihadist organizations abolished.

:munch:
Anyone want to take bets on how long until the circular firing squad starts?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing that by being THE Islamic State its telling Iran to 'Join or Die'.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

"I tried to warn you bro! I caused told you about caliphates dog!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

McDowell posted:

I'm guessing that by being THE Islamic State its telling Iran to 'Join or Die'.

Given how they've treated Shi'a Muslims so far, I don't think they'll bother with the "Join or" part of that statement.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dr. Tough posted:

Probably just ISIS or ISIL still since no one is going to recognize their new country.

edit: or "The Group Formerly Known As ISIS"

Haven't they changed the name of the group though, so they would just call the group IS even if the state their named isn't recognized.

Although just listening to Al Jazeera now, which are says they are now naming themselves the Islamic Caliphate not the Islamic State which sounds like another ISIS/ISIL translation thing happening. I'm sure this will be clarified soon... Maybe.
s
Edit: AJ now just said they are calling themselves Islamic State. I guess AJ is just using them interchangeably at the moment, so whatever.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brown Moses posted:

"And the message to the people in the West: just keep giving it and we will take, keep taking, in'shallah... look how much money America spends to fight Islam, and just ends up being in our pockets!"

"We have helicopters, we have planes, we have Hummers... in'shallah, it's only a better future for us in the waiting."

:rip: old thread title.

e: I wonder if it's too much to hope that they took the captured border guards outside before they blew up the border station.

• Locked thread