Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SettingSun posted:

Is Tam Tara really the only place to get Mind Blast? I could swear there were Piscodemons somewhere else in the game.

Tam Tara HM and the S rank hunt for South Shroud. I think the first boss of Amdapor Keep also uses it.

Mainly you want to get it from TamTam normal because it's required for the job quests early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I'm sure if the S-rank Mindflayer spawned and you still didn't have Mind Blast, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Although it's very likely the mob would die before it got a chance to use it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think the S-rank prefers to use Mind Melt, and it's not likely to be easy to get a hunting group to throttle the fight until a Mind Blast goes off.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The one clever thing about BLU: you can learn White Wind from the expected source, even though you'll never need to due to the totem.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Something in this game casts White Wind?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes, though in practice, it acts more like Transfusion.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SonicRulez posted:

But you're playing it. And so are lots of other people. Whoops, turns out that means it's a success. Nobody at Square will ask or care why you're playing it. See also: Eureka. Hate playing content is the exact same as playing content.

That sounds like a really good way to dumpster your own game.

Also eureka is really popular in Japan, that’s why you keep getting it. It’s an extremely weird comparison to make.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is running the highest level available dungeon over and over close to HoH or PVP in terms of exp gain?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Is running the highest level available dungeon over and over close to HoH or PVP in terms of exp gain?

Far more, with rested XP/armory/etc you get close to 1/2 to a 1/3rd of a level.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bolow posted:

Far more, with rested XP/armory/etc you get close to 1/2 to a 1/3rd of a level.

For emphasis, the only reason HoH/PvP even approach dungeon levels of XP is because with queue times you can easily get 2x or even 3x HoH/PvP runs in for the time it takes to do a single dungeon.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

so after sorting out my account last night I played for.. maybe an hour, and I think I remember why I stopped. Playing a PLD is awful, they do gently caress all damage for the purposes of questing, and tanking is extremely confusing in this game compared to wow.

Is there a class I should play instead which is fun to play and does damage? I'm about level 50.5 in PLD and 15 as a WHM - and 1 in practically everything else.

Aside: how do you level jobs now? is it just chain running dungeons?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

EponymousMrYar posted:

For emphasis, the only reason HoH/PvP even approach dungeon levels of XP is because with queue times you can easily get 2x or even 3x HoH/PvP runs in for the time it takes to do a single dungeon.

It's also completely mindless and bumps you up to 70, which is novel for a bit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tithin posted:

so after sorting out my account last night I played for.. maybe an hour, and I think I remember why I stopped. Playing a PLD is awful, they do gently caress all damage for the purposes of questing, and tanking is extremely confusing in this game compared to wow.

Is there a class I should play instead which is fun to play and does damage? I'm about level 50.5 in PLD and 15 as a WHM - and 1 in practically everything else.

Try Red Mage or Samurai, they both start at 50.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cabbit posted:

Try Red Mage or Samurai, they both start at 50.

Is there a requisite job requirement to get to those classes? I used to understand the class system had a job requirement (ie, used to be glad 30 / whm 15 to start as being a PLD)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

tithin posted:

Is there a requisite job requirement to get to those classes? I used to understand the class system had a job requirement (ie, used to be glad 30 / whm 15 to start as being a PLD)

Nope! Get to 50 on one combat job, have Stormblood.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 24, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

tithin posted:

SAM and RDM can be unlocked at 50 with no other class requirements. The base jobs also no longer have the subclass (like 15 cnj) to unlock.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tithin posted:

Do roulettes for a bunch of daily xp, run 5 dungeons a week/commend 5 people for weekly challenge log xp, do beast tribes while you queue (especially over 50), then chain run your highest level dungeon or do Palace of the Dead

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Something in this game casts White Wind?

The add in Halicarnassus savage does but that’s not what people are talking about

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Enkidu casts it in the second Greg fight, if you do enough damage to Greg.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also eureka is really popular in Japan, that’s why you keep getting it. It’s an extremely weird comparison to make.

Don't hate-play content you don't like and then whine about it is the point here, bud. Just don't play it.

Eureka is pretty popular outside Japan too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The solution is to do a Dragon Quest event where all the enemies in Eureka are Dragon Quest enemies and call it Goo-reka.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"You would leave the defense of Ishgard to sellswords?" said the leader of the Crystal Braves, indignantly and obliviously.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

Don't hate-play content you don't like and then whine about it is the point here, bud. Just don't play it.

Eureka is pretty popular outside Japan too.

Yeah I feel like some internet “gamers” really need to find a few more hobbies. Hate playing poo poo and whinging about it constantly on the net is so tedious to sift through.

Anyway I caught up to 4.5 last night, going from start to finish and ending on the Ghimlyt Dark after a couple of months was a real fun experience and I’m pretty hyped for SB2

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I don't know how to break this to you man but a poo poo load of people outside Japan also play Eureka. It's why it's usually active as hell.

Eureka is a success. I don't like it much, but it's time to move on on that point lmao.

You know the idea of "the appropriate market price is what people are willing to pay"? Same idea applies here. Turns out people were willing to pay the price of Eureka.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

This argument was cool in Pagos when everyone thought that was the bullshit Japan wanted.

It was even cooler when the Japanese players thought it was westerners wanted

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

"You would leave the defense of Ishgard to sellswords?" said the leader of the Crystal Braves, indignantly and obliviously.

"My responsibility is first to Limsa Lominsa, then to the Alliance, and only then to the rest of Eorzea as circumstances permit. If you can't understand that, then you don't deserve a seat at this table."

When the story remembers she exists, which is rare, Merlwyb is great.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Cythereal posted:

"My responsibility is first to Limsa Lominsa, then to the Alliance, and only then to the rest of Eorzea as circumstances permit. If you can't understand that, then you don't deserve a seat at this table."

She's an rear end in a top hat and I'm not particularly fond of her.

Shame the Maelstrom has all the good glamours though; till sea swallows all!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I mean as long as you don’t pay too close attention to her being a colonialist warlord driving the natives from their home :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
somebody spitepost their 49/49 spellbook w/ perfect blue achievement with the unironic sentiment of "BLU is fine" so we can all be spared the endless whining, thanks

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean as long as you don’t pay too close attention to her being a colonialist warlord driving the natives from their home :v:

Nobody ever remembers that for all Nanamo has done for the Ala Mhigan refugees, beast tribes are still totally banned from even entering Ul'Dah, like the Goblin merchants and Qiquirn.

So Merlwyb does have that

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cabbit posted:

She's an rear end in a top hat and I'm not particularly fond of her.
This is clearly internalized misogyny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, there are a bunch of Qiqirn in Thanalan that eat people or sell them to the Amalj'aa for money.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, there are a bunch of Qiqirn in Thanalan that eat people or sell them to the Amalj'aa for money.
There are a bunch of Hyur and Lalafell doing that too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

holy poo poo i haven't seen you in this thread in a while, i thought you quit :v:

and yeah, :same:

Well I kinda did. Last year I decided that my posts ITT were extremely bad so I just stopped posting as a new years resolution. The Eureka happened and it sucked so there wasn't much for me to do except raid log, and then my long-time static leader kicked me out because he's a horrible manchild with serious emotional issues and a ton of friends who all enable him. So yeah I pretty much quit for the last few months!

Glad everyone here is still having fun though (I hope).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

p.s. Orbonne Monastery was really fun and I cried a little at the end :qq:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh. Gotta warlord something.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is clearly internalized misogyny.

did merlwyb effectively utilize girl power by genociding kobolds?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The leaders of Eorzea are all trash (except Baemeric).
Nanamo - Lets a bunch of billionaires horde all of the nation's wealth while people starve in the street. Also is a Monarch.
Kan-E-Senna - Abducts children "with special abilities" so they can be turned into soldiers to protect her and her property.
Merlwyb - As noted above, is a colonialist warmonger who murders innocent "lesser beings" for their land and walked into the easiest burn Varis has ever delivered as a result.

In conclusion, Gaius did nothing wrong and Eorzea would be a lot happier if he were its ruler.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

did merlwyb effectively utilize girl power by genociding kobolds?
Merlwyb is the new Riot Girl copyright 1990 Pepsi-Cola and she represents the modern woman of the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, but that's not why they did it. They barred beastmen from Ul'dah to keep goblins out so as not to threaten the Syndicate's stranglehold on the city's commerce.