Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Per the sahagin beast tribe quests, the sahagin also constantly encroach on limsa since their spawning grounds were destroyed. Limsa's stuck between two grumpy beast tribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And it's always been pretty explicit that it wasn't Merlwyb ordering attacks on the kobolds, but just Limsans, mostly ex-pirates, doing it on their own and sparking wider conflicts. Merlwyb disapproves intensely and tries to rein in her people, but neither is she willing to stand by and let the sahagin and kobolds slaughter her people.

Trying to exert the level of control over all the settlers on Vylbrand that it would take to prevent that sort of thing would turn Merlwyb into a tyrant, and given the nature of most Limsans they'd probably ignore her or spark a civil war if she tried.

Merlwyb by all indications doesn't seem to actually have very much authority. She commands the loyalty of the Maelstrom, the Yellowjackets, the Knights of the Barracuda, and the Gentlemen Rogues, but it's not clear how much of that is legal authority and how much is force of personality on her part. People seem to be happy to follow Merlwyb because her policies and leadership have made Limsa Lominsa prosperous, but it's a recurring thing in quests around Limsa that many people think she's soft and naive with her talk of diplomacy and peace, especially with the kobolds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm close to having everything so it's good to see I'm not the only broken person here. :shepface:

I'm missing the special cheevos including Perfect Blue, 5 Carnivale clears, and the Garuda/Titan/Levi spells.

Perfect Blue sounds like a pain in the rear end to get, mainly because of the Angon phase.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Perfect Blue sounds like a pain in the rear end to get, mainly because of the Angon phase.

That part isn't that difficult really, the Burn cast is very slow and if you quickly line him up you can hit both the boss and the spear with a drill cannon line.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 23, 2019

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

Monathin posted:

It's been a hot second but there's at least one FATE chain that goes into detail about the breaking of the peace treaty and claiming that the Kobolds aggressed first doing it. Whether you wanna go hunting for that lore is another story.

Also Limsan is basically an island with only so much room to grow, running into its maximum sustainability even without the fact that the Sahagin get uppity about any sort of fishing that they don't clear and Limsa constantly being on turf war with the Kobolds. Merlwyb ain't a saint but a lot of people here like to call her a tyrant when 1) the situation is aittle mpre complex but 2) your introduction to Limsa is through Yshtola who readily admits she's biased and hates the place.

In conclusion Eorzea is a land of contrasts, thank you
My understanding is that the peace treaty didn't really establish clear lines of division either, just a fairly vague "you have the north and I have the south" which left the door wide open for future conflicts, especially with the food and resource constraints.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Meicyn posted:

My understanding is that the peace treaty didn't really establish clear lines of division either, just a fairly vague "you have the north and I have the south" which left the door wide open for future conflicts, especially with the food and resource constraints.

The Cataclysm and the Sahuagin wiping out a settlement to claim for their replacement breeding ground probably didn't help much

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that’s warcraft’s word, here in anime land we use another four-syllable word for “enormous disaster” that starts with C and it’s COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

World War Mammories posted:

that’s warcraft’s word, here in anime land we use another four-syllable word for “enormous disaster” that starts with C and it’s COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

This word ... is cEureka

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The secret to Perfect Blue is skipping the second set of Angons with Final Sting. The real killer is Charybdis + Plaincracker. Also forgetting to sheathe your cane after the Repelling -> Spikes switch and then ruining everything because you punched the boss in the face.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 23, 2019

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

jokes posted:

This word ... is cEureka

:thurman:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Monathin posted:

In conclusion Eorzea is a land of contrasts, thank you

I like the lore of this game because it isn't a story where everybody is shades of gray so much as it's a story where conflicts often come down to both sides having a point. They may not always have a good point, but I can generally see where all the major villains are coming from. The Kobolds and Sahagin are in the wrong for summoning their planet-killing gods to slaughter people who quarrel with them, but there's a lot of pirates who aren't ready to come to heel in Limsa and they aren't improving things.

The problem is that they need a bigger island and since the WoL can't fix that by collecting piles of dung, the story can't spend too much time on it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

The problem is that they need a bigger island and since the WoL can't fix that by collecting piles of dung, the story can't spend too much time on it.

You clearly aren't thinking big enough.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

SonicRulez posted:

I like the lore of this game because it isn't a story where everybody is shades of gray so much as it's a story where conflicts often come down to both sides having a point. They may not always have a good point, but I can generally see where all the major villains are coming from. The Kobolds and Sahagin are in the wrong for summoning their planet-killing gods to slaughter people who quarrel with them, but there's a lot of pirates who aren't ready to come to heel in Limsa and they aren't improving things.

Yeah, especially in Limsa's case both the Sahagin and the Kobold can be boiled down to "we want all of [the surrounding waters/the land] because our god demands such tribute", which you can at least see why Limsa is bristling against said declarations. But you're right, there's a lot of pirates who will take matters into their own hands because, y'know, they're pirates.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The Sahagin and Kobolds have given me more mounts than Limsa, therefore they are the more correct party in this conflict

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Veev posted:

They keep bringing him back to make him look good and it just makes me dislike him more and more.

Look, if you'd just grow up you'd realize that we need a big strong capitalist like Lolorito to make the serious, hard decisions.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Are squadron dungeons worth more exp than non first LLDR of the day dungeons?

If you're a DPS, most certainly. You can run a command mission just in the time it would take for your queue to fire otherwise, and it's less stressful.

Tanks and healers it's probably less clear cut. Chances are the DF dungeon is better in terms of real EXP, but I'd say that over time the command missions might win since you can stop and have a drink or chat with friends without ruining everything, and you don't risk stupid pubbie drama; put it all together and you get a process you're less likely to burn out on.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If nothing else, Lolorito taught Nanamo how to play Ul'dahn politics to her advantage.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Trasson posted:

If you're a DPS, most certainly. You can run a command mission just in the time it would take for your queue to fire otherwise, and it's less stressful.

Tanks and healers it's probably less clear cut. Chances are the DF dungeon is better in terms of real EXP, but I'd say that over time the command missions might win since you can stop and have a drink or chat with friends without ruining everything, and you don't risk stupid pubbie drama; put it all together and you get a process you're less likely to burn out on.

Yeah there have been times while leveling tanks where I just haven't wanted to deal with real people and squad dungeons are the perfect solution to that.

Stone Vigil is still good XP even in the low 50's.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lolorito is a slimy piece of poo poo, but at least he's pretty open and honest about it. He doesn't really go around trying to convince everyone he's a good guy, he's just some dude who's all "yep, I like money. Sometimes getting more money helps other people out, whatevs"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Trasson posted:

Also, if you're just queueing leveling roulette without the once-per-day bonus, you can easily get Sastasha on your LV50+ job. Sure, it'll be easy, but the XP is going to be really underwhelming without the bonus. If you're a tank, you can solve that by queueing a high-level dungeon and it'll pop instantly anyway, because tank, but if you're DPS, that queue's going to be an eternity, so you're better off going squad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

dolphinbomb posted:

Lolorito is a slimy piece of poo poo, but at least he's pretty open and honest about it. He doesn't really go around trying to convince everyone he's a good guy, he's just some dude who's all "yep, I like money. Sometimes getting more money helps other people out, whatevs"

Also the primary comparison for his archetype is Gegejuru. Freakin' Gegejuru in Costa Del Sol.

It's hard to beat Gegejuru in a 'filthy capitalistic pig' race. Really hard.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

isk posted:

Nope! Get to 50 on one combat job, finish The Ultimate Weapon, have Stormblood.

You don’t need the middle part. I had already picked up Samurai and RDM before I ran Praetorium for the first time for The Ultimate Weapon. Ran it as a SAM, in fact.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Veev posted:

All we have is the devs commenting that they made Eureka for a very select group of people, and were surprised when different people were playing it than than just that group, which is the explanation why pagos was so bad and also a very confusing statement on many fronts.

Eureka shares more in common with the hunt than it does FFXI. If you like the hunt except it's in one zone, you will probably like Eureka.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ugato posted:

You don’t need the middle part. I had already picked up Samurai and RDM before I ran Praetorium for the first time for The Ultimate Weapon. Ran it as a SAM, in fact.

Neat! Updating

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

isk posted:

Neat! Updating
Yeah, with the leveling bonuses from Ala Mhigan Earrings and the Road to 60 on small servers you can become a SAM or RDM somewhere around Coerthas.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also the primary comparison for his archetype is Gegejuru. Freakin' Gegejuru in Costa Del Sol.

It's hard to beat Gegejuru in a 'filthy capitalistic pig' race. Really hard.

Gegeruju is basically just Hedonism Bot from Futurama, only even more self-indulgent.

That scene of the catgirls glaring at him until he paid them extra was great, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

La machiniste adorable

edit: just realized I caught her mid-blink. La machiniste defonce

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Who do I have to kill to get dye channels that won't make half my gear brown or beige when I try to dye it orange? Because I'll do it, I will.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Eureka: still bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Doomhammer posted:

Who do I have to kill to get dye channels that won't make half my gear brown or beige when I try to dye it orange? Because I'll do it, I will.
Just try out different gear. Also I strongly recommend Millicorn Yellow as an orange. Also reds and blues make great accents with it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I would love to be able to apply multiple dye colors to different parts of gear too, and the client can probably support it fairly easily from what I've learned on the modding discord (besides having to modify what parts of the gear color palettes get dyed with which slot, of course). The big problems for getting there would probably involve having to store the extra dye data for every piece of gear (and from live letters they're very stingy with how much data they'll throw around for anything because of how often they persist player data).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Verranicus posted:

Eureka: still bad.

Wrong.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Doomhammer posted:

Ugh, yeah. Grabbed the alliance caster set from ghymlyt and it looks pretty good! ... Until you go to dye it and 90% of it winds up washed out and pastel. I don't mind rocking pink and all but I was trying to be a red mage here.

It'd really be better to just leave sections unchanged if they'd wind up being that far from the dye color.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This game triggers FOMO in me worse than any social media or any other MMO. There's just so much I could be doing. Triple Triad! Fishing! Chocobo racing! Gold Saucer! Gardening! Cooking! All the jobs! Materia! Retainers! Logs! Leves! Raids! Trials! Fates! Dungeons! Treasure Hunts! PVP!

Which is great! But drat. I guess if you have a normal life at all you just have to resign yourself to not experiencing certain parts and concentrate on really enjoying a few bits.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I decided to read up on Tactics. :toot:

I thought Argath was a major villain, but apparently he's just some bratty rear end in a top hat who dies in Chapter 1.

I see now that all of his battle quotes are basically him spitting venom about peasants, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought Argath was a major villain, but apparently he's just some bratty rear end in a top hat who dies in Chapter 1.

I see now that all of his battle quotes are basically him spitting venom about peasants, though.
His name is Argus in the original US release, and he's a pretty memorable villain even though he dies early. He really underlines the class issues (that the story quickly abandons in favor of a complex fantasy plot because this is Final Fantasy, not Ogre Battle).

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The thing is that while he might only be in the first and shortest chapter of the game, he's highly memorable and his actions have immense repercussions (you can draw a direct line from Argath's actions to Delita becoming king). Also "bratty rear end in a top hat" is the understatement of the century.

Tactics in general is great for memorable characters that don't actually stick around too long. Argath, Gafgarion, and Milleuda are all every bit as compelling as Delita, Wiegraf, and Alma.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nthing what the above 2 have said - Algus helps set the tone for the game, especially when it comes to Delita's motivations and machinations. His attack on Fort Zeakden is a HOLY poo poo moment when experienced live and unspoiled.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

His name is Argus in the original US release, and he's a pretty memorable villain even though he dies early. He really underlines the class issues (that the story quickly abandons in favor of a complex fantasy plot because this is Final Fantasy, not Ogre Battle).

Agreed, but he's Algus in the original release. I still can't get used to that "Argath" business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Arugasu Sadarufasu