Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking of Darkside, I've just gotten the dark knight in Final Fantasy Dimensions and I am quite impressed with how well they handle it. First of all, dark knights seem to have the highest attack power out of any of the jobs available so far. They get a variety of dark sword abilities, including the basic ones to sacrifice HP for a powerful physical attack or a multi-target magic one. He also has Last Resort, which inflicts Doom on the user but drastically increases all stats until expiration. I am fairly certain that there are more that can be learned later, but I don't know as I still haven't gotten around to spoiling myself on all the abilities yet.

This game is definitely a full, proper Final Fantasy, although I'm sure I'll get sick of the default "mountain" tileset for dungeons before this is all over. Definitely get it if you're in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'd love to, as soon as they get off their asses and put it on the Play Store. :negative:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Bongo Bill posted:

Speaking of Darkside, I've just gotten the dark knight in Final Fantasy Dimensions and I am quite impressed with how well they handle it. First of all, dark knights seem to have the highest attack power out of any of the jobs available so far. They get a variety of dark sword abilities, including the basic ones to sacrifice HP for a powerful physical attack or a multi-target magic one. He also has Last Resort, which inflicts Doom on the user but drastically increases all stats until expiration. I am fairly certain that there are more that can be learned later, but I don't know as I still haven't gotten around to spoiling myself on all the abilities yet.

They get two more Dark Blade abilities (one fairly useless, one amazing), and one more passive if you haven't gotten it yet (I can't remember if you get it before or after Last Resort).

If you're thinking of keeping a Dark Knight around for endgame, train him up in Ninja as well. Dark Blade is subject to Dual Wield, but the HP-sacrifice effect of Darkness and Onyx Wave only proc once, so you're getting two simultaneous attacks for the price of one.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 24, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Dimensions sounds like a really cool game but as someone who does not own a smartphone/tablet I'll probably never get the chance to play it. Is there an iOS emulation scene?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm playing FF9 for the first time and having a surprisingly tough time, I've just reached the end of Disk 1, it really seemed to ramp up in difficulty around the Grotto. My main problem was that I had no way of healing apart from Potions, since Dagger leaves. I'm still not sure if I'm enjoying the game itself though, the battles are way too slow for my taste.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Belzac posted:

Dimensions sounds like a really cool game but as someone who does not own a smartphone/tablet I'll probably never get the chance to play it. Is there an iOS emulation scene?

I bet it will get some form of 3DS/Vita port eventually, ala The After Years.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I'm playing FF9 for the first time and having a surprisingly tough time, I've just reached the end of Disk 1, it really seemed to ramp up in difficulty around the Grotto. My main problem was that I had no way of healing apart from Potions, since Dagger leaves. I'm still not sure if I'm enjoying the game itself though, the battles are way too slow for my taste.

The slow battles is the most common complaint that I hear. Unfortunately, the only thing I can recommend is speeding up your emulator if you're using one. I've honestly never found the battles to be slow though.

As for the healing problems, did you grab Quina? You can get him/her at the marsh and it makes that point a bit easier since you have 4 party members instead of 3. You can also teach Freya Reis's Wind which puts Regen on your party making healing a little better. I mostly stuck with potions for that entire part of the game and thought it was more effective.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

If you go get Quina you can learn White Wind from the Zuu around Cleyra, pretty soon after Gizamaluke's Grotto.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zuu_%28Final_Fantasy_IX%29

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Bongo Bill posted:

This game is definitely a full, proper Final Fantasy, although I'm sure I'll get sick of the default "mountain" tileset for dungeons before this is all over. Definitely get it if you're in this thread.

I played through the Prologue of Dimensions and somewhat agree with this statement; it's definitely a game I want to play (it even looks pretty on an iPhone, and the music is great), but it's not a game I want to pay $30 for. Last year over Christmas, Squenix had a sale on all their games in the App Store, so I'm gonna hold out until the end of the year to see if there's another sale.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
By the way, what's up with SE and their unwarranted hate for Android devices? :mad:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Captain Vittles posted:

I played through the Prologue of Dimensions and somewhat agree with this statement; it's definitely a game I want to play (it even looks pretty on an iPhone, and the music is great), but it's not a game I want to pay $30 for. Last year over Christmas, Squenix had a sale on all their games in the App Store, so I'm gonna hold out until the end of the year to see if there's another sale.

I'm not saying that's a bad idea, because spending less money is always a way to go, but if you're thinking Dimensions isn't worth thirty bucks simply because it's an iOS game, well:

I've logged almost 60 hours and still haven't actually beaten it yet. Maybe three of those hours were spent doing AP grinding. It's certainly a full-assed game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Krad posted:

By the way, what's up with SE and their unwarranted hate for Android devices? :mad:

I heard that they have their own Android store in Japan, so all of their Android releases are timed exclusives for that platform. Except the store doesn't exist in other regions so it's just a pointless delay because who gives a gently caress about countries that aren't Japan, right?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Shaezerus posted:

I'm not saying that's a bad idea, because spending less money is always a way to go, but if you're thinking Dimensions isn't worth thirty bucks simply because it's an iOS game, well:

I've logged almost 60 hours and still haven't actually beaten it yet. Maybe three of those hours were spent doing AP grinding. It's certainly a full-assed game.

My desire to not pay $30 is mostly on principle (it's on my phone!) but you're making a compelling case...

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Harlock posted:

To the guy playing FFVI, you should get Water Rondo, because Mog's dances are the best.
Already did! I've beaten this game many, many times on the SNES, but not on the GBA. I just really want to see the new content. I hear good things about this game's new stuff, unlike, say, Chrono Trigger DS.

Speaking of remakes, I have the complete edition of Final Fantasy IV for the PSP. Outside of the sprites, does it have anything to offer that the GBA and DS versions don't? So far, I've liked the GBA version the best since I like controlling the final lineup. I mean, I plan to sit down and get through The After Years eventually, but I've already lost count of the number of times I've beaten the first game. So it'll need a lot more than nicer sprites for me to play it yet again.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

CloseFriend posted:

Already did! I've beaten this game many, many times on the SNES, but not on the GBA. I just really want to see the new content. I hear good things about this game's new stuff, unlike, say, Chrono Trigger DS.

Speaking of remakes, I have the complete edition of Final Fantasy IV for the PSP. Outside of the sprites, does it have anything to offer that the GBA and DS versions don't? So far, I've liked the GBA version the best since I like controlling the final lineup. I mean, I plan to sit down and get through The After Years eventually, but I've already lost count of the number of times I've beaten the first game. So it'll need a lot more than nicer sprites for me to play it yet again.

The original game just has nicer sprites and another slightly cleaned up translation. No extra content you haven't seen before.

Play the interlude, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shaezerus posted:

The question is, is it a worthwhile full-rear end game? There are tons of games that are long, but the lovely kind of long. Without doing any of the side stuff, FF8 can still be like 20-30 hours. On the other hand, it's FF8.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Boy, Dimensions sure looks like it'd be fun, even if I still think the sprites are terrible. I'm due for a phone upgrade in November, so hopefully SE will toss the game up in their stupid separate Android store by then. I'm still stuck in the non-smart phone era at the moment.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Roboto posted:

The original game just has nicer sprites and another slightly cleaned up translation. No extra content you haven't seen before.

The interlude's like an hour or two of gameplay with nothing important story-wise that doesn't pop up in The After Years, other than to half-assedly explain a villain's appearance.

But yeah, the PSP version is simply the GBA port with better graphics and a couple new features. The main draw is the new graphics and The After Years, and how big a draw that game is depends on whether you love FF4's gameplay or story more.

Also, Dimensions needs to come the gently caress out on Android already god drat it's the only game I'm really looking forward to right now.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

The White Dragon posted:

The question is, is it a worthwhile full-rear end game? There are tons of games that are long, but the lovely kind of long. Without doing any of the side stuff, FF8 can still be like 20-30 hours. On the other hand, it's FF8.

Well, I'm enjoying it, which is good enough for me. :v: In all honesty, though, this game really does feel like it's a lost relic from the SNES-era Final Fantasy set, given a graphical polish for iOS. As in, this could just as easily have been FF5 if it were thought up back then. Not necessarily replace FF5, just... slipped in between it and 4.

Dimensions is part nostalgia trip with its style, part genuine fun via tinkering with its Job system. The only gripe I've got about it is regarding the encounter rate (good lord is it jacked up high), but the game features an auto-battle setup so it doesn't launch into outright painful levels by way of "Tap screen endlessly to win."

Mister Roboto posted:

This is horrible advice. Interlude is roughly three hours of retreading on After Years's retreads and goes so far to make After Years's plot even worse because its attempt to compound upon a hanging plot point is done so poorly that it actually digs more holes than it fills.

Pick up FF4 Complete Collection because you like FF4, not because you want to play Interlude, is what I'm saying. If you absolutely must see Interlude, I suffered through it for you.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 25, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mega64 posted:

But yeah, the PSP version is simply the GBA port with better graphics and a couple new features. The main draw is the new graphics and The After Years, and how big a draw that game is depends on whether you love FF4's gameplay or story more.

An interesting point about The After Years is that it was written by Takashi Tokita. Who basically wrote FF4. Which means TAY is the ideas he didn't use in FF4 20 years ago.

A lot of people didn't like FFTAY's overall story, but it legitimately came by the original writer...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Roboto posted:

An interesting point about The After Years is that it was written by Takashi Tokita. Who basically wrote FF4. Which means TAY is the ideas he didn't use in FF4 20 years ago.

A lot of people didn't like FFTAY's overall story, but it legitimately came by the original writer...

Part of that is 75% of TAY's story being recreated scenes from FF4.

I don't know what the hell happened with that game. For example, the Mysterious Girl is set up like Golbez. Constant powerful presence, constant successes against the heroes, and so on. But while we slowly learned Golbez's true intentions as the game went on, and while we saw glimpses of Golbez being more than generic hammy villain #84, the Mysterious Girl's purpose is not revealed until literally right before the final battle.

That's really my main beef with The After Years. There is no loving plot until right before the final dungeon. FF4 steadily revealed more and more information as you progressed until you go to this crazy new place and finally learn the truth of what's going on. Here, stuff is happening, the various characters deal with their own problems caused by the antagonists, but we have no idea what the antagonists plan to do. They're just bland, one-dimensional characters taken to their extremes. The Mysterious Girl literally has no personality, and the others are over-the-top in their sole motivations.

It's like Tokita missed all the subtleties that made the original work so drat well. He also ruined a few characters by dumbing them down and making them act more pathetic (though he makes up for it by making a few more characters complete badasses), particularly the original female characters. Everyone's stupid when it's convenient for the plot.

Some of the smaller stories work pretty drat well, like the Yang/Ursula and Palom/Leonora tales, but the game does a poor job giving a driving purpose behind the overall narrative other than sucking Cecil's dick because OMG he's the loving greatest. FF4's story is goofy when you really look at it, but it doesn't matter because of how well it's executed. The After Years also has a goofy story, yet it doesn't really work as well because the villains suck and the characters are often dumb and the game recycles so many drat scenes from the original that it becomes comical, at least until the game tries to be self-aware about it.

At least it's fun.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Basically while After Years has some great concepts (Palom and Kain's deals in particular), the game's overall story and characterizations are mishandled to such a degree that it becomes simply infuriating to deal with, and outright offensively dumb at other times.

Interlude makes this even worse I cannot possibly emphasize that enough. It somehow makes this worse when added to full consideration.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

On the other hand, it has my favorite Final Dungeon of the series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Shaezerus posted:

Well, I'm enjoying it, which is good enough for me. :v: In all honesty, though, this game really does feel like it's a lost relic from the SNES-era Final Fantasy set, given a graphical polish for iOS. As in, this could just as easily have been FF5 if it were thought up back then. Not necessarily replace FF5, just... slipped in between it and 4.

What I've been saying is that in an alternate universe it could've been Final Fantasy 6. It plays like a combination of 4 and 5 but with better balance, and it riffs on world-building elements from the first five games. It's a throwback the way 9 was, but far more authentic because it's all in 2D. All that's missing is blue magic. If you like classic Final Fantasy, then you will like Dimensions, because Dimensions is a game that was successfully designed to be similar to, and enjoyable for the same reasons as, classic Final Fantasy.

It is unlike FF4 TAY in that it does not consist of recycled dungeons inappropriate for the current party, no story content is outright reused, there are no loser characters, and, at least as far as I've seen, it never uses a plot device as extraordinarily stupid as a sailboat running out of fuel. There is the question of whether you'd be irritated or charmed by cheesy 16-bit melodrama, of course.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Bongo Bill posted:

there are no loser characters

Gotta hand it to Glaive for giving it his all in that regard, though.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Alba's pretty obnoxious as well. If fact, Dimensions' cast is one of the weakest in the series. That's okay though because they're mostly just place holders for different job classes.

And all the guest characters are pretty cool and memorable which helps make up for it.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Bear Sleuth posted:

Alba's pretty obnoxious as well. If fact, Dimensions' cast is one of the weakest in the series. That's okay though because they're mostly just place holders for different job classes.

And all the guest characters are pretty cool and memorable which helps make up for it.

I'm going to have to say that Rad is the weakest character in the series, and yet somehow my favorite.

Forever a Dragoon~~

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So I'm hearing that Dimensions is a worthwhile purchase from you guys?

I'll have to borrow my brother's iPad to play it, so would it be worth the effort?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shaezerus posted:

Still going to wait until it's either on Vita/PSN/3DS or on sale for about half price. It might be a full game but so are the various FF games they put out on iOS at a lower price.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm going to have to say that Rad is the weakest character in the series, and yet somehow my favorite.

Forever a Dragoon~~

I make Rad a Ninja, because Ninja are Rad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The Grotto is actually a difficulty spike for a couple of reasons:

No White Mage, Healing is expensive at that point, Quina is optional and you might not have him so you're a party member down

Gizamaluke is pretty hard too but at least there's a save point right before him. Throw a Tent at him at the beginning of the battle and it has a chance to cast a bunch of status effects on him which really helps.

If it makes you feel better most bosses die too fast after this point, you'll just sit there stalling until you can steal everything off of them sometimes.

I like the game a lot but the battles have such an annoying lag time. The only FF game I remember where you can give all 4 of your teammates commands, then all 3 enemies do something before they move and the commands aren't even relevant anymore.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Grotto is actually a difficulty spike for a couple of reasons...

I will agree with this. The first three times I tried to play through IX as soon as I hit the World Map I got real bummed out because my party was getting destroyed. What I did this last time (when I finally beat the game), was just stick close to the entrance to Alexandria since there is a shop right inside that can sell you tents, and level your guys up three or four levels until those pink flying dragons don't cause such a problem. Continue to go back inside and heal as needed.

Also, as mentioned, get Quina as your healer. He/She isn't terrible, and the White Wind move you can learn helps a lot until Dagger is back.

Voila. The rest of the game was a cake walk for me until the end of Disk 3.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So apparantly a common enemy in the Necrohol of Nabudis can drop the Maximillian, the second best Heavy Armor in the game.

So now I have a Heavy armor with 58 defense before Draklor Laboratory.

Edit: And a second one just dropped. :psyduck: I wasn't even chaining the things so I literally got two 1% drops within half an hour of eachother.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 25, 2012

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

So apparantly a common enemy in the Necrohol of Nabudis can drop the Maximillian, the second best Heavy Armor in the game.

So now I have a Heavy armor with 58 defense before Draklor Laboratory.

Edit: And a second one just dropped. :psyduck: I wasn't even chaining the things so I literally got two 1% drops within half an hour of eachother.

FFXII is about a broken as games get when it comes to getting equipment early. You can also steal the best Mystic helm from the Dead Bones in Nabreus, the Staff of the Magi from Oversouls, and get a bunch of poo poo like Black Masks and Defenders from weaker enemies in Nabreus. This is to say nothing of what you can get from Lhusu with the Site 11 Key (Dragon Whisker and Scathe :aaaaa:) or the loving Seitengrate.

Really if you bother to go through one or two tedious things like Dustia chaining and a bit of item farming you can break the game's difficulty curve over your knee. I personally think the people who do things like get the Arcturus before Raithwall are more than slightly autistic but the point is that you can do it if you want which is drat cool.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh I knew about getting Arcturus way early, but didn't bother. I'm assuming that something like that is best done for Weak Mode.

I didn't know about getting super mystic helms and a Staff of the Magi though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Necrohol in general is a lot scarier than many of the places after you gain access to it. It feels like it's supposed to be a tough optional area, and I don't see what's weird at all about broken gear coming from it. Those little goblin things are motherfuckers unless you just blow them up with ice magic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I was doing fine until I accidentally spawned Helvinek. Then whoops it wiped out Party A thanks to Disablega and spamming -ga level elemental magic and I nearly killed Party B.

I only survived by running out of the room (did you know Helvinek will chase you through areas? :suicide:), setting the battle speed to lowest, and taking advantage of the fact that items have no charge time to heal up, then when Helvinek showed up again I moved back to the previous room. I used up all my Potions and Hi-Potions. (I keep a stock 99 of them)

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
More Final Fantasy VI Advance questions!
1. Does this game have a better place to grind EXP than the forest near Gau's dad's house? I always had better grinding there than anywhere else.
2. I noticed Cactuar, Leviathan, and Gilgamesh have levels in the 90s when you fight them. Do I need to get all the way up to Level 99 to not get my rear end handed to me with the new content? (I ground like a fiend, so I just got the Falcon and I've already hit the low 40s, but it's made me pretty tired of grinding.)

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I was doing fine until I accidentally spawned Helvinek. Then whoops it wiped out Party A thanks to Disablega and spamming -ga level elemental magic and I nearly killed Party B.

I only survived by running out of the room (did you know Helvinek will chase you through areas? :suicide:), setting the battle speed to lowest, and taking advantage of the fact that items have no charge time to heal up, then when Helvinek showed up again I moved back to the previous room. I used up all my Potions and Hi-Potions. (I keep a stock 99 of them)

Oversouls chase you between rooms too. This means you can chain them like Dustia to get the Staff, and the Oversouls you kill this way for some reason don't count towards spawning Helvinek (who normally appears after you defeat 6 Oversouls). The Staff of the Magi will definitely benefit your Black Mage though, with its crazy MAG boost and elemental powerups, so go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Early Necrohol is a place where having a Time Mage shines in IZJS- slap an Indigo Pendant on your TM and the Baknamys and Elvorets can all be Warped at pretty much a 100% success rate. You still need to be strong enough to take on the Oversouls and Helvenik if you do this, but I found it easier than trying to collect loot while being hunted by seven hundred monsters that can tear me a new one.