Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Springer's proponents have highlighted his ability in the era of President Donald Trump to provide his own funding for a campaign and to connect with working-class voters familiar with his television show and history in Ohio politics.

Well, it's not like there's another popular Democrat who c-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmILsVduhY&t=5s

Oh that's right, she doesn't toe the party line too good.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The stuff about low emotional intelligence as a predictor for criminality is completely accurate. Amateur phrenology :rolleyes:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4525433/

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
It's great that Liberal Democrats like to throw out knowledge of a complex issue and look smart about it. Now what are you going to do in people's day to day lives to solve it? The answer is usually loving nothing unless the donors allow it, so if you're low income like alot of African-american families, loving nothing but more prison. Which the donors allow, because they're in the prison business.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hmmm yes America has a huge nationwide slave labor industry that's especially concentrated in the former Confederacy because Americans (and disproportionately African Americans) have the highest prevalence of """low emotional intelligence""" in the world.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

The stuff about low emotional intelligence as a predictor for criminality is completely accurate. Amateur phrenology :rolleyes:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4525433/

Why defend Hillary on this? At the very least, the optics are so atrociously bad she should be banished from politics forever.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I always hate when they go with the virtuous governor cop out character

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

MooselanderII posted:

At the very least, the optics are so atrociously bad she should be banished from politics forever.

Thankfully, even people in the Democratic party are getting sick of her poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

*observes house slaves polishing the silver*
:abuela: "At first I was frightened to be in their presence, but then I realized that they are here because of their low emotional intelligence which is a perfectly fine reason to use them for free labor! ...Odd, you seem very concerned about this situation for some reason, I assure you I am in no physical danger, we are very strict!"

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

No man everything is great with the democratic leadership!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my loving god. 'Low emotional intelligence', what a stupid loving moron.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The desire to act violently against those who disrespect you, is not because of an intrinsic character failing. It's a requirement and product of an 'honor culture', where one's word/honor/face must be protected at all costs, because it is the only thing that keeps you safe long term.

Honor cultures are the product if an environment without the rule-of-law, and you see them literally everywhere where the rule of law is weak. In this case, it's because african americans can't actually trust law enforcement, because its hostile to them.

It has absolutely nothing to do with 'emotional intelligence', and everything to do a reaction ti the environment they find themselves in.

That someone this stupid got the crown of 'black people's candidate', is loving mental. That her followers would attack Sanders on racism is loving disgusting.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 7, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Haha that nefarious racist Hillary KKKlinton agrees with those establishment researchers that deficits in emotional intelligence are correlated with violence. How can that idiot racist not recognize the deficits are cultural, not emotional?!? (But the cultural deficits aren't their fault! The white man just hasn't provided them the right environment to develop a non-criminal culture!)

You are making this way too easy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
why are you defending someone who used domestic slave labor? like whats the point

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Haha that nefarious racist Hillary KKKlinton agrees with those establishment researchers that deficits in emotional intelligence are correlated with violence. How can that idiot racist not recognize the deficits are cultural, not emotional?!? (But the cultural deficits aren't their fault! The white man just hasn't provided them the right environment to develop a non-criminal culture!)

FYI Sean Hannity quotes belong in the RWM thread.

Or is this David Duke. Either way this isn't the right thread for it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

:eyepop:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"A $15 minimum wage and breaking up too-big-to-fail banks won't solve racism!"

*a system of actual racialized slave labor continues to exist in America*

"Don't blame this on racism, the slave race obviously have genetically deficient brains!"

:abuela:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

I straight up don't believe that absolute poverty has any meaningful relationship to racism, since otherwise Asian-American people and white people would be the least racist and black and American Indian people would be the most racist.

I want to respond to this part real quick because what you said here actually doesn't logically follow. There can be multiple factors that make one more or less likely to be racist. For example, being white is obviously a major (probably the most major) contributing factor towards being racist* (specifically in the context of American/Western society, of course), but that doesn't mean that poverty isn't also a contributing factor. If poorer whites tend to display more racism than richer whites, that still means there's a correlation. I definitely know that there's a relationship between level of acquired education and racism (which probably also at least partly explains any relationship between income and racism), and that also supports my more general point that racism isn't indicative of some fundamental intrinsic moral/ideology deficiency and that that it can be influenced on a societal scale through changing peoples' environments (for example through making higher education cheaper and more accessible). This doesn't many all, or even most, people can be persuaded to stop being racist - especially if you're just talking about a limited time frame - but it does mean that such changes could end up being political relevant in the long-run and that it doesn't make sense to just write people off as beyond help.

By the way, I've tried looking up data on this but Google is not cooperating and keeps giving me a bunch of articles showing how racism causes minorities to have lower incomes (rather than talking about a link between income and racism). I found one article mentioning a positive relationship between lower education and lower income and racism, but it didn't give specific numbers.

*And honestly I would be very curious to know if other races, like Asian-Americans, actually are much less racist against black people (just as the most obvious example) once you adjust for income/education.

edit:

Brainiac Five posted:

The thing is, Ytlaya, is that I don't put what people say as more revealing of their thoughts than how they act. I believe that unconscious actions and framings are important rather than irrelevant. So I can say, "reparations", or "forcible integration of housing", and you can say that you agree with those things, but if your first example of antiracism earlier was colorblind rising-tide-lifts-all-boats policies, then I won't find it credible that you do. In addition, if you say at one point that people shouldn't be bound by what is considered possible, and then at another point say that reparations are impossible, that also damages your credibility. I am using "you" as a general term here.

Yeah, but I and at least some of the other people in this thread don't say that stuff like UHC or a $15/hr minimum wage is particularly effective as a specifically antiracism policy. It would certainly help black people, but it wouldn't do much to fight racism or fix existing inequality (or at least it will never be capable of fully addressing it). As for why people are talking more about stuff like $15/hr or UHC, well, those things are actually being given political attention (and at the very least, mainstream Democrats sure as hell aren't doing any better than the "Sanders wing" when it comes to proposing stuff like forcible housing integration or reparations!).

That being said, your general point about people not focusing as much on policy that would actually significantly help to fight the effects of racism is entirely accurate, but I think part of what bugs me is that everything you're saying is also true for the non-leftist Democrats/liberals. I don't really see them proposing anything distinctly different or better on this front, so it seems weird to focus almost exclusively on ridiculing leftists for a mistake mainstream liberals are also making.

Brainiac Five posted:

Furthermore, as I don't have anyone willing to engage in lengthy apologetics on my behalf, whereas everyone arguing against me does have multiple persons willing to do so, putting forward positive proposals would be an inane idea even if you fuckers didn't make endless GBS-quality posts about how much you hate me and want me to... well, you don't actually believe in political revolution, so I guess you want me to vaguely suffer in the way y'all want "Wall Street" to suffer.

To be fair, you're at least as aggressive towards other posters, often including ones that don't have any sort of specific feud with you and haven't said anything particularly inflammatory.

One thing I will admit, though, is that I do tend to be considerably more lenient towards the leftist equivalent of some of the worst liberal posters. When someone like Tight Booty Shorts or Crowsbeak or whatever makes some dumb post I tend to internally think "ugh" and just ignore it. I could give some rationale about being more concerned about mainstream views because they hold political power, but honestly I think it's just because I naturally react more poorly to insults aimed at me/my political views. I guess there really isn't much of an excuse for that, though I think it's something most people do.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 7, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VitalSigns posted:

"A $15 minimum wage and breaking up too-big-to-fail banks won't solve racism!"

*a system of actual racialized slave labor continues to exist in America*

"Don't blame this on racism, the slave race obviously have genetically deficient brains!"

:abuela:

- Hillary Rodham "Superpredators" Clinton

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Phil "Goldman Sachs" Murphy won the New Jersey Democratic gubernatorial primary.

:negative:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

JeffersonClay posted:

No one said anything about a 'cultural deficit'. Honor culture =/= culture, it's just the established sociological term for what is being described. Google it.

You really are a joke.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

FYI Sean Hannity quotes belong in the RWM thread.

Or is this David Duke. Either way this isn't the right thread for it.

Tell Rudatron, that's his argument.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Reopening this thread was a mistake.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Tell Rudatron, that's his argument.

It's really not tho

You're portraying his argument the way Sean Hannity would portray it.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 7, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Do you guys think the way certain posters will take an argument and twist it is something that naturally happens in their minds or do you think they're doing it on purpose? There are examples on both sides of the closing of this thread and of course other threads in the forum that just... it feels like trolling or a hosed up debate tactic, but sometimes I wonder. Ever since the 2016 elections it's been very common.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

rudatron posted:

No one said anything about a 'cultural deficit'.

JeffersonClay did, actually. In his attempt to strawman your argument, he revealed way more about his attitudes than anything.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

No one said anything about a 'cultural deficit'. Honor culture =/= culture, it's just the established sociological term for what is being described. Google it.

You really are a joke.

Having googled it, Honor culture = culture (duh), and honor culture is posited to explain violence among white southerners because of their Scotts-Irish cultural heratige. It's dumb, but the way you've mangled it is dumber.

Now you google "emotional intelligence violence".

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

JeffersonClay did, actually. In his attempt to strawman your argument, he revealed way more about his attitudes than anything.

What strawman? He said black people are violent because their honor culture makes them that way.

And now the thread is back to accusing the people calling out racism as the real racists. Y'all are terrible at this ID politics thing. Maybe that's why you hate it?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
When you google something it's often best to click the button next to the one labelled "I'm Feeling Lucky".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Weird how the governor's mansion of an overwhelmingly majority-white state has a slave labor force consisting almost exclusively of African Americans, what an odd and highly phenotype-specific plague of """"low emotional intelligence""""

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Weird how the governor's mansion of an overwhelmingly majority-white state has a slave labor force consisting almost exclusively of African Americans, what an odd and highly phenotype-specific plague of """"low emotional intelligence""""

actually it's the whites who are savages and therefore their murderers aren't to be trusted to be trustees

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/wiggyslice/status/872254677353734144

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/871908375436693504

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Futuresight posted:

Do you guys think the way certain posters will take an argument and twist it is something that naturally happens in their minds or do you think they're doing it on purpose? There are examples on both sides of the closing of this thread and of course other threads in the forum that just... it feels like trolling or a hosed up debate tactic, but sometimes I wonder. Ever since the 2016 elections it's been very common.

This is now political discourse.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hillary Beauregard Clinton.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wait are people seriously closing threads because they're too upset to read peoples' posts?

because lmbo you loving dweebs

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nonsense posted:

Hillary Clinton.

Is good.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

dont even fink about it posted:

Wait are people seriously closing threads because they're too upset to read peoples' posts?

because lmbo you loving dweebs

Nah I phrased that badly. I meant examples existed in this thread both before and after it got closed and reopened by a mod (at least I think it was this one, either this one or the left wing media one), and that there are also examples of course in other threads of this twisting of arguments.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly wish Nina Turner would run. I heard her speak during the primaries and she had it really right.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JeffersonClay posted:

The criminal system is fine, it merely targets inferior people with criminal tendencies, it is not significant that they also predominantly fit certain other criteria.

Also I own slaves and rationalize why it's fine by focusing on some dubious psychology "research" about the inferiority of the Oriental mind people unsuitable for anything but subservience and jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
With all the defense of Hillary having slave labor i'm seeing on twitter, i'm beginning to doubt we can even call Democrats socially liberal Republicans anymore

Words have no meaning and nothing matters.

• Locked thread