Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Discendo Vox posted:

link please, not because of fetishes but because I didn't know there was a doctors thread.
Over in the Goon Doctor the residency/specialty thread is kind of the general doctor thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You’re the one who said pediatricians feel different

Like, they definitely need to be reported. Would a law student.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The guy apparently wears diapers to class and his ENTIRE Twitter is devoted to diaper fetishism and saying he’s going to medical school and some combination thereof. He talks about prescribing diapers and laxatives.

It’s really :stare: how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Discendo Vox posted:

Reading this modest proposal in the law questions thread is just deeply disturbing. I pray this guy doesn't have venture capital. I was expecting a, uh, bit more familiarity with, um, anything involved when he said he was doing this.

It's interesting because he's trying to automate what is essentially word of mouth referrals. But with absolutely no finesse or any idea of any deeper understanding of anything whatsoever besides Big Data Number mumbo jumbo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
He’s totally clueless about a hundred or so variables in the legal system that cannot possibly be adequately accounted for by a beep boop Lawbook.com algorithm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 13, 2021

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I might have some equity left that I can liquidate to invest. lmk

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Oh boy, it's going to be a fun summer wondering if you did enough to put yourself in a position to get an offer from OCI. Have you nailed down this summer yet?

I went to law school with the intention of being a public defender. This summer I am working at a Colorado public defenders office.

I don't think I'm bitch made like toona but I guess we will see

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I went to law school with the intention of being a public defender. This summer I am working at a Colorado public defenders office.

By and large, they are a really good bunch of folks with a good organization behind them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

I might have some equity left that I can liquidate to invest. lmk

How about bitcoins but for lawyers?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Come to california, as far as I know, we pay pds way more than elsewhere. More than enough to make up for col differences too.

If you're a 1l, try to do your summer here. Also no one but sf and santa clara counties give a poo poo about grades here.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 7, 2018

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

nm posted:

No joke, friend from first day of law school is now a crypto currency lawyer in San Francisco. So apparently that’s a thing.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Vox Nihili posted:

But seriously, if he popped a 170 hes basically a classic splitter and could potentially scrape his way into Northwestern, Cornell, University of Texas, or UCLA and coast to a miserable 3 or 4 year long biglaw career. I believe.

Yeah that was me. Probably could have used that site to bargain for more money but I am stupid and I make I impulsive decisions.

echopapa posted:

You want to practice law someplace warm, you say?

I know an island where you’ll never be bored, and where there are plenty of Chinese girls who would love to marry a Canadian.

Speaking of Impulsive, you never mentioned Chinese girls before. Will keep this in mind. Maybe I can keep up my mandarin and be a lawyer after all.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He thinks because he was able to earn a 3.0 in undergrad he will now miraculously get a top 25% in law school.

Vox Nihili posted:

But seriously, if he popped a 170 hes basically a classic splitter and could potentially scrape his way into Northwestern, Cornell, University of Texas, or UCLA and coast to a miserable 3 or 4 year long biglaw career. I believe.

haha oh man i wasn't gonna post much in this thread until i passed the bar but this is so familiar-sounding that i think i have a moral obligation

get money, we have somewhat similar academic resumes and reasons for coming to law school (money, variety of work, suitable skillset). i'm staring down the barrel of a miserable 3 or 4 year long biglaw career to pay down my debt, because i am competent enough at the work of law but also lazy. i'm lucky, in that respect; several of my friends at school failed to get jobs out of OCI, and their past year has been steady trickle of interviews and declining mental health as they've flown all over the nation so they could get rejected by firms. and we're in what most people would probably consider a better starting point, based on what you're saying about where you plan to go to school. there are success stories but they're mostly sociopaths or people with actual work ethics. don't go to law school.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
This has been powerful and compelling stuff everyone. I appreciate the few naysayers as much as the overwhelming positive feedback on both law school and practice. It all will be taken under consideration as I evaluate whether my exceptional talents and "work smart not hard" philosophy will translate to prosperity in the legal field. I'm at least leaning back towards Canadian schools for future employment potential (though a Guam job would be extremely tempting).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re: good outcomes from Biglaw:

After 5 blissful years out of the profession, which I mostly spent selling techy things to lawyers, my latest job change has finally had something magical happen: from the end of this month I’m moving to a senior business role at a headline client of my old (NYC) firm. One of my former clients ended up becoming a VP there and wants me to handle their global partnerships.

The good: junior partner level pay plus attractive stock options in a really exciting tech company, and what sounds like an actually interesting, challenging role with the cooler sort of international travel. It’s a real job that isn’t being a lawyer. Plus, client entertainment from my former partners.

The bad: The reason I know this guy is he’s ex private equity and I’m p sure he hired me in part because he assumes I’ll be as cool with working every god damned second now as I was when I was a senior associate. Also, even the cooler sort of business travel still sucks.

But it’s a role I would never have got close to without biglaw or, I dunno, spending 5 years in consulting. So I’m feeling a lot rosier about all those years turning SPAs after midnight right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GET MONEY posted:

This has been powerful and compelling stuff everyone. I appreciate the few naysayers as much as the overwhelming positive feedback on both law school and practice. It all will be taken under consideration as I evaluate whether my exceptional talents and "work smart not hard" philosophy will translate to prosperity in the legal field. I'm at least leaning back towards Canadian schools for future employment potential (though a Guam job would be extremely tempting).

Few naysayers? Overwhelming positive feedback? Are you being sarcastic or are you really that dense?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you being sarcastic or are you really that dense?

Yes

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Flutieflakes017 posted:

No joke, friend from first day of law school is now a crypto currency lawyer in San Francisco. So apparently that’s a thing.

that might wind up being me, unironically, except that I still hate law and will do everything I can to avoid it

don't go to law school

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

GET MONEY posted:

"work smart not hard" philosophy

So someone should probably explain the concept of "billables" to you too, huh. Especially since this is usually shorthand for "I'm lazy but do enough to scrape by". No judgement, that's fine in a lot of jobs, but in my experience that's often what it means.

Not unrelated but a friend of mine who graduated this year with me is working at a medium sized firm and regularly puts in 12+ hour days. Within the last few weeks she had a literal 22 hour day. She then had work the next day. If you're not familiar with law and legal hierarchies you really need to understand how they work too, although I'm willing to accept this may vary by region (but I'd bet it probably doesn't vary that much). Where I am, the legal profession is incredibly hierarchical, comparable to the army (according to friends of mine with experience in both). If you can't handle being bottom of the pecking order, having to hold your tongue around stupid ideas that you know are moronic, and staying back for no reason other than your Principal is still around, don't even consider law for a single second.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Flutieflakes017 posted:

It no jokes is. I'm getting an increasing frequency of cold calls/emails from recruiters looking for people to "transition into" the "tech transactions/privacy space." Cap markets work is already enough not-my-thing, why would I do it for shadier clients with the SEC and CFTC breathing down their necks?

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

GET MONEY posted:

I would echo what everyone else here has said that unless you can get into Harvard, Yale or Stanford you're probably better off staying north of the border. The law societies up here seem to be more effective in their trade guild role in that they more effectively restrict the supply of lawyers by limiting the opening new law schools so we don't seem to have the same scale of issues as Americans do with an oversupply of lovely lawyers from lovely schools. That said, I have known people who had great difficulty getting articles which is a terrifying thought. I think there are articles in the lawyer magazines that could tell you more about the chances that you won't get a job or be allowed to practice law. The only person I knew from my class who didn't get articles, or who really struggled, was terrible and the biggest rear end in a top hat I've ever met in my life so your mileage may vary.

I can say that I went to the University of Toronto (supposedly the 'best' law school in Canada, if you ask our recruiters) and I think I only had a 170 on the LSAT. Maybe less than that, I honestly can't remember. But, I had a ~93% average in undergrad. Clearly they care more about grades than LSAT scores.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Actually a good niche to get in to. All kinds of securities and tax unresolved issues, plus sweet sweet fraud.

I follow crypto and block chain cases for my firm. Ask me anything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a body stuck on this submarine that I can't get rid of. What's a blockchain solution for this problem?
Use bittorrent to plant plant private keys on someone's computer to prove they own the body and a detailed diary of how it was done.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a body stuck on this submarine that I can't get rid of. What's a blockchain solution for this problem?

edit: unrelated question, but would you hold this bag for me for a quick second?

Form an LLC for the submarine and call it Blockchain whatever and then you’ll get lots of investment dollars for a quality legal defense and/or some Russian mob fixers.

I’ll need a $100k retainer to hold that bag.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Actually a good niche to get in to. All kinds of securities and tax unresolved issues, plus sweet sweet fraud.

I follow crypto and block chain cases for my firm. Ask me anything.

Yeah, completely agree. He gets to do alot of interesting work for a variety of clients-- some of which are this close to getting popped by the SEC! Just think about the phrase "partner in San Francisco based cryptocurrency firm" for a moment and imagine the angry spergs he works for though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Yeah, completely agree. He gets to do alot of interesting work for a variety of clients-- some of which are this close to getting popped by the SEC! Just think about the phrase "partner in San Francisco based cryptocurrency firm" for a moment and imagine the angry spergs he works for though.

I just pictured the Pied Piper lawyer from Silicon Valley. Seems like an acceptable trade off.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

nm posted:

Come to california, as far as I know, we pay pds way more than elsewhere. More than enough to make up for col differences too.

If you're a 1l, try to do your summer here. Also no one but sf and santa clara counties give a poo poo about grades here.

The thought has certainly crossed my mind. I miss living by an ocean. I'll keep your recommendation in mind for next summer if my eyes are still a-wandering

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I had a client ask me to hold on to his/her drugs for him/her.

He/She was genuinely surprised that I said no and asked him/her to come back when not carrying.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Gleri posted:

I can say that I went to the University of Toronto (supposedly the 'best' law school in Canada, if you ask our recruiters) and I think I only had a 170 on the LSAT. Maybe less than that, I honestly can't remember. But, I had a ~93% average in undergrad. Clearly they care more about grades than LSAT scores.

Sadly, UofT already dinged me. Stupid GPA focus -- almost anyone can get great grades with enough time invested. In the real world there's a limited amount of time to invest, so what good is GPA as a measurement? But I digress

Whitlam posted:

So someone should probably explain the concept of "billables" to you too, huh. Especially since this is usually shorthand for "I'm lazy but do enough to scrape by". No judgement, that's fine in a lot of jobs, but in my experience that's often what it means. [...] Where I am, the legal profession is incredibly hierarchical, comparable to the army (according to friends of mine with experience in both). If you can't handle being bottom of the pecking order, having to hold your tongue around stupid ideas that you know are moronic, and staying back for no reason other than your Principal is still around, don't even consider law for a single second.

Let's say this is an accurate characterization. Are there many chances to find efficiencies in practice? Right now, if anything is extremely routine I figure out how to automate it and not tell anyone my job's being done by a button and a script. Is this going to conflict with the 2700 annual billable hours model of big law litigator? Otherwise it doesn't sound too different from any large corporate career and it would be nice to be surrounded by more cynical and depressed personalities.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GET MONEY posted:

Sadly, UofT already dinged me. Stupid GPA focus -- almost anyone can get great grades with enough time invested. In the real world there's a limited amount of time to invest, so what good is GPA as a measurement? But I digress

Let's say this is an accurate characterization. Are there many chances to find efficiencies in practice? Right now, if anything is extremely routine I figure out how to automate it and not tell anyone my job's being done by a button and a script. Is this going to conflict with the 2700 annual billable hours model of big law litigator? Otherwise it doesn't sound too different from any large corporate career and it would be nice to be surrounded by more cynical and depressed personalities.

i want to frame this whole post

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
This is amazing and why I read your thread despite my eyes glazing over for 95% of posts.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GET MONEY posted:

Let's say this is an accurate characterization. Are there many chances to find efficiencies in practice? Right now, if anything is extremely routine I figure out how to automate it and not tell anyone my job's being done by a button and a script. Is this going to conflict with the 2700 annual billable hours model of big law litigator?

Well, your options when you do that as a litigator are to tell someone what you’ve done and then you’ll get a pat on the back and some more work to fill your newly freed time, or to lie on your time entry about your billable hours and commit both an ethical and legal violation.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalman posted:

Well, your options when you do that as a litigator are to tell someone what you’ve done and then you’ll get a pat on the back and some more work to fill your newly freed time, or to lie on your time entry about your billable hours and commit both an ethical and legal violation.

it's cool to look at that and go 'oh right, this is how all these startups just blatantly commit fraud and think nothing of it'

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Get Money, google “bimodal distribution law salaries.”

Also definitely go to a poo poo tier law school in Southern California (a market that attracts top law students nationwide) and keep posting in this thread please, thanks

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

GET MONEY posted:

Please note that the poster you're quoting, who did attend UofT, says they only got 170. Your score isn't as exceptional as you think. Law schools could probably fill half the class straight up with scores like yours or better, so of course they look at grades too. The LSAT isn't a reflection of anyone's ability to do well at law school or in legal practice, it's a glorified and very basic reading/logic test.

But all that aside, you best be prepared to give up your career for this: http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ian-mulgrew-legal-aid-less-than-minimum-wage-prominent-lawyer-complains
. I know you think you'll beat out the hundreds of law students who work harder than you, are smarter than you, more articulate than you, more experienced than you, and went to better schools than you seem to be able to get into. I'll grant that's a possibility. But if it doesn't happen that way, and you do pass the bar and find articles/an associate position, you're also competing with them for the same jobs. You might get to be those idiots on Suits, but you're far more likely to live like season one of Better Call Saul.

GET MONEY posted:

Hahahaha no. I work in the nichest of niche panda law areas dealing with the same reports by the same experts across the table from the exact same Crown counsel in the same tribunal more than a hundred times a year and it terrifies me to think of what would happen if I attempted to automate any part of my practice outside of keeping a database of client information. Every file is completely unique and putting one through a machine is just begging for a malpractice claim.

The only thing routine about legal practice is ending every conversation with a client and thinking "poo poo I better send them a letter documenting that I told them not to do a stupid thing that I know they're going to do anyway because if I don't they're going to sue me for not telling them the thing I just told them," so I guess you could automate your phone to call up a new document in Word as soon as you hang up I guess.

Never forget clients will completely disregard the artisan-researched bespoke hand-crafted creative lateral-thinking legal solution that you would love to come up with, poo poo the bed, and then tell you that you put the poo poo there.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 7, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

GET MONEY posted:

loving hell, divide 2700 by 365.

Actually, gently caress it, let's be lenient and divide 2400 by 360. You get 6.6.

If you are in biglaw (or anything that has more than 10-12 lawyers, really), your amount of billed hours has to even out around that number.

Most of the time 1 hour billed amounts to about 1.3 - 1.5 hours of actual work, because believe me there's a lot of poo poo you have to do that you simply cannot bill, because of one of three reasons: a) it's unethical, b) the client will see that you spent 15 minutes writing a two-sentence email (even though you actually did, because you must think though every loving word in every loving email you send to literally anyone) and won't come back, or c) you'll spend more time putting the entry into whatever billing software the firm is using than you've spent actually doing that thing.

Multiply 6.6 by 1.5. That's 9.9. This is the average amount of time you'll spend working per day... except this doesn't take into account the slower weeks when you are only able to bill like 25-30 hours, this doesn't take into account some of the holidays when you won't do a lot of work, this doesn't take into account the occasional weekend (you're not gonna get every weekend, but you'll still get some weekends, or at least Saturdays off). This doesn't take into account the loving commute.

When they say that if you're a biglaw associate you can't have a life outside of being a biglaw associate, this is not a figure of loving speech. This is literally, literally loving true. Automating poo poo is both a malpractice claim waiting to happen AND a way to fail to meet the billable hours requirements.

Don't. Go. To. loving. Law. School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

LeschNyhan posted:

Please note that the poster you're quoting, who did attend UofT, says they only got 170. Your score isn't as exceptional as you think. Law schools could probably fill half the class straight up with scores like yours or better, so of course they look at grades too. The LSAT isn't a reflection of anyone's ability to do well at law school or in legal practice, it's a glorified and very basic reading/logic test.

There's 8000 LSAT takers in Canada every year, so even generously a pool of 20000 applicants means only 600 excel at reading/logic, the most essential of skills? There's like 6 really portable schools in Canada tops, each taking 300 new JDs/year SHOULD mean plenty of room for the geniuses first and still some spots for normies with cool life stories.

That article is very interesting though. Seems like the market incentivizes rapidly opening files and finding the best way for the client to rush to trial -- beat the case quickly, get it out of their life. Ten a month would be $9000, does a PD really need more than 16-20 hours per client open to close? It's still difficult to tell whether actual lawyering is mechanically routine or impossibly unique; either would be bad, both together would be intriguing.

Also sounds like cases should be distributed not so experienced lawyers can cherry pick but using data on case success rate vs close time.

edit: further research on LSS Tariffs suggests there could be a lot of optimal strategies, like rushing to contest fitness and mental health at $450 each/half day? When it says half day that time is likely not all in court doing lawyer stuff on that case, right? I can be waiting for the judge or w/e and still be on a laptop working on cases 2-10?

Alexeythegreat posted:

When they say that if you're a biglaw associate you can't have a life outside of being a biglaw associate, this is not a figure of loving speech. This is literally, literally loving true. Automating poo poo is both a malpractice claim waiting to happen AND a way to fail to meet the billable hours requirements.

This sounds like a terrible life and the flashbacks to using some mandatory antiquated time tracking software are legitimately terrifying. But if the actual work is research and synthesis and writing, not just meetings and waiting around, it might be worth grinding it out on the right side of the bimodal income charts for a time.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 7, 2018