Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For those who have used the aluminum watches, how have they held up? I have no interest in a cellular version so I'm checking them out. At $329 who gives a poo poo if they get banged up a bit I suppose, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:same: I wonder when they’ll announce the plans.

They already have wearable covered in their plans; looks like T-Mobile is $10/month line charge. I think Verizon is $5.

edit:

Jose Oquendo posted:

For those who have used the aluminum watches, how have they held up? I have no interest in a cellular version so I'm checking them out. At $329 who gives a poo poo if they get banged up a bit I suppose, right?

My release-month Series 0 Sports aluminum still looks new.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've had an aluminum for 2 years that I've banged against rocks on hikes and been in a big car accident with and there's just a tiny chip on the rim of the display. It's plenty durable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've had an aluminum for 2 years that I've banged against rocks on hikes and been in a big car accident with and there's just a tiny chip on the rim of the display. It's plenty durable.

Thanks guys. I think that's what I'll do. I can still use my link bracelet since I think it's way more comfortable than the sport band.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Alternatively, I've had an aluminum for 1 year which I haven't taken near rocks but has several scratches and chips along the sides (none on the display fortunately). Probably from banging it against doors and tables. My next one will definitely be stainless steel because the chips do bother me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LPG Giant posted:

Alternatively, I've had an aluminum for 1 year which I haven't taken near rocks but has several scratches and chips along the sides (none on the display fortunately). Probably from banging it against doors and tables. My next one will definitely be stainless steel because the chips do bother me.

The stainless steel ones scratch pretty easily though. I guess it comes down to if chips or scratches bother you more.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

The stainless steel ones scratch pretty easily though. I guess it comes down to if chips or scratches bother you more.

Says who? I've been rocking my SS S0 since it came out and its drat near flawless. Screen too of course.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Honestly, the watch as phone feature might become a huge selling point. What turned someone I know off on the original was that she thought she could leave her phone at home while she went for walks and receive calls on her watch. Was extremely disappointed that wasn't the case.

Personally, I don't need a new one my Gen 0 is trucking along just fine but I want one...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
They don't have any kind of trade-in program to go from a Series 2 to a 3, right?

I'm perfectly happy with my 2, but if it'd be cheap enough to swap it, I might consider it. Otherwise I'll wait another generation or two if I have to pay full price.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

They don't have any kind of trade-in program to go from a Series 2 to a 3, right?

I'm perfectly happy with my 2, but if it'd be cheap enough to swap it, I might consider it. Otherwise I'll wait another generation or two if I have to pay full price.

You can sell it for a decent amount still

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I must have that red dotted crown.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I must have that red dotted crown.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I guess I'm the only one that thought a red dot was tacky and unusual. Why red? Because apples are red? Why not a choice of colors?

Edit: does look good on that gold Edition, though. I'll reserve judgment.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Everyone remember when there was a mini freak out with the Apple nerds when Tim Cook had a custom stainless steel Apple Watch with the red crown from the Apple Watch Edition? I'm stretching with the word interesting but it is kind of interesting that Tim Cook apparently wanted the red crown from the Edition bad enough that he had a custom one made and now all the cell models have it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

mattfl posted:

You can sell it for a decent amount still

Yeah, I'm just not a big fan of selling things myself, I'd rather just take it to a store that will buy it. I traded in my 6+ at Apple towards my current watch, and I'd rather get less for it than deal with the hassle of selling it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna have to take a real look at the watch cell plans. $5 I'd do it but for $10? Eh probably not.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Where are people even getting pricing figures? Based on other brands? The wording on the A3 section of the Apple Site makes it seem it will be free with your carrier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

Where are people even getting pricing figures? Based on other brands? The wording on the A3 section of the Apple Site makes it seem it will be free with your carrier.

That's not what was said during the presentation. He said each carrier has a plan. I highly doubt it's free.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Says who? I've been rocking my SS S0 since it came out and its drat near flawless. Screen too of course.

SS microscratches pretty easily, but the space black ones with their tDLC coating are invincible and can even scratch the sapphire screen.
I'll be upgrading my S2 to an S3 for that wireless charging, looks like I'll have LTE...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jose Oquendo posted:

RIP Space Black SS + Link band. The best Watch.

That sucks. The new stainless steel models are cellular only. No wifi only models.

You can probably still buy the band separately. I know I'm keeping mine. Get one off EBay though, they are too insane for full price.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

that's sharp as hell. I'm sure that gold color must be an extra $700 though.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

GoldfishStew posted:

Various news sites state that carriers will charge the regular device fee ($10) on the watch like they do with the iPad.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I think that is a previous Edition watch, comparing it to a about to be current aluminiuym model, comparing how the red dots are the same.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

I guess I'm the only one that thought a red dot was tacky and unusual. Why red? Because apples are red? Why not a choice of colors?

Edit: does look good on that gold Edition, though. I'll reserve judgment.

I think the red looks dumb, especially on the SBSS. Fortunately I can probably buy a replacement dot to cover it up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pzy posted:

I predict an LTE Apple Watch demo involving a lady on a paddleboard on Lake Tahoe, weather permitting

:aaa:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have the black SS. Whatever they put on the outside layer makes it nigh indestructible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“FCKGW”" post="“476335380”"]
:aaa:
[/quote]

Was that Lake Tahoe?:aaaaa:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pzy posted:

I predict an LTE Apple Watch demo involving a lady on a paddleboard on Lake Tahoe, weather permitting

You did pretty good, Phil.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Gonna have to take a real look at the watch cell plans. $5 I'd do it but for $10? Eh probably not.

One day a month get dunkin donuts coffee instead of starbucks coffee. There, now you can afford $10/mnth instead of $5! :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was that Lake Tahoe?:aaaaa:

They didn't say where but it sure looks like it!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 13, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

One day a month get dunkin donuts coffee instead of starbucks coffee. There, now you can afford $10/mnth instead of $5! :)

lol turn your $400 watch into a $640 one.

Also I doubt it's going to be a straight 10 or even 5 I'm sure there are going to be taxes and fees added on to that poo poo.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I'm trying to catch up on the Aluminium/stainless steel debate.

It seems like stainless is more expensive. By a lot. I like the look of black SS with the Milanese loop, but am I right that I can get a black Aluminum and an aftermarket black loop and end up paying like half as much?

I mean if I am getting a $1200 phone what's 800 more for a watch?

(And however much for the power may and loving ear pods)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I dunno but it's $1300 for the 42mm ceramic white :saddowns:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So there's no way to get a stainless steel S3 without the cellular chip? I really don't give a poo poo about being Dick Tracy or whatever.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I will sell you my basically mint sssb

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I just don’t understand the rationale.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultimate Mango posted:

I'm trying to catch up on the Aluminium/stainless steel debate.

It seems like stainless is more expensive. By a lot. I like the look of black SS with the Milanese loop, but am I right that I can get a black Aluminum and an aftermarket black loop and end up paying like half as much?

I mean if I am getting a $1200 phone what's 800 more for a watch?

(And however much for the power may and loving ear pods)

Yes, but there's a bit of color mismatching. The black Milanese loop is pretty much black, with black stainless steel lugs. (It's really like a really, really dark gray, just a smidge from black.) The space gray aluminum is... well, gray. However, the screen is black, so it all kinda works out OK in my eyes.

The black stainless steel lugs match the space black stainless steel body perfectly.

The SS models also have a sapphire screen and ceramic back. Up to you if those differences are worth that much more.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Well I sell you my current watch to help pay for a new LTE one

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

GoldfishStew posted:

I will sell you my basically mint sssb

how much and what series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Anyone know if there's been any improvement with AirPod connectivity in watchOS 4? As it is right now (series 1) half the time I have to reboot the phone to get it to properly "see" the AirPods. Admittedly this is really only purposes for me seeing the battery percentage on my watch but i still like that little icon.

• Locked thread