Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

First job? MSQ and roulettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leveling roulette is a good source of exp, if limited to once a day.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Alliance and trials roulette are also really good, for post 50 leveling. PvP too if you want Even More exp

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I'll finish this up then and not finish. I need to get from 64 to 70. What is the best way to do this?

Leveling roulette, MSQ roulette, Alliance raid roulette, daily hunt marks, highest SB dungeon you can do. Trials can be a quick shot of XP but sometimes you get stuck on a story boss.

For alts - add SB beast tribes and Heaven-on-High (maybe for mains too?).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homeless snail posted:

Alliance and trials roulette are also really good, for post 50 leveling. PvP too if you want Even More exp

Wait pvp gives real exp and not just meaningless pvp levels?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Frontline roulette does

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Wait pvp gives real exp and not just meaningless pvp levels?
Yeah. PVP has static stats and different skills, but gives normal XP and tomestones and such for your job. There's also a lot of good cosmetic rewards from the PVP marks too and honestly they're pretty cheap, a week or so of a single frontline roulette a day is enough for a full glamour set even if you lose every match. It's honestly not bad unless you just hate PVP on general principle.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm late but lol at people playing this game and skipping anything

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A PVP loss gives you like maybe 5% of a level, a win is 10% maybe? it scales really really weird, though.

When the Rival Wings update comes out, it'll be a good way to grind up a class while working towards the mount.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

The Shame Boy posted:

OTOH there are times i really wish this game had a /sigh command. I'd buy that emote immediately at whatever price it was

/upset and /shrug are actually just sighing

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Verranicus posted:

I'm late but lol at people playing this game and skipping anything

i skip your lovely posts

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I was in a Dun Scaith earlier today and it was absolutely horrible. Wipe on Deathgaze, wipe on Scathach, and three wipes on Diabolos Hollow, followed by vote abandonment. Spent a good 80 minutes or so on the bulk of that poo poo. It was like running the content the way it was back at 3.5 once again, where everyone was poo poo at DPS.

I did get one good laugh out of it all, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxzoDqXy_M

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Deathgaze still feels really tough for latency reasons. Loads of people die on the death draw-in thing just because of server ticks. It's been at least a year since I've seen anyone wipe to any other boss first-hand but Deathgaze is always a disaster.

Same with Construct 8-- and honestly I think that without latency weirdness both Suzaku and Seiryu would be easier than any given 24-man boss.

Edit: Also, to weight in, I think it's fine to feel impatient or even stressed with the preponderance of MSQ cut-scenes and thresholds in this game, and I don't think it's the same thing as not being charmed with the setting or the world. I personally really enjoy the story but I also have fun immersing myself in the little details of the game that have nothing to do with Hydaelyn and the Ascians and whatever else, and I definitely think you can love one without loving the other.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 1, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Control Volume posted:

After titan you run face first into the garuda scientists asking for a dozen different kind of useless crystal

That's why I don't hate Titan, because it's a lot of running around and stuff to get together some dudes/undergo a test to make sure you're ready for Titan. And Titan was the first boss with an instakill move.
And as tests go, putting together you're own last meal/victory feast is pretty good.

Then Garuda happens and it's like 'GDI you are yanking my chain after the first lot of crystals I know which ones we need and you want me to get a fourth batch now?'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As someone who likes very long jokes where the joke is usually on the person telling it I appreciated the punchline to the Company of Heroes questline

There is no punchline to the crystal poo poo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's why I don't hate Titan, because it's a lot of running around and stuff to get together some dudes/undergo a test to make sure you're ready for Titan. And Titan was the first boss with an instakill move.

Its just a coincidence that the tests to make sure you can handle Titan also let the guys testing you eat a kickin rad feast

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

ARR is a huge stinker. All of it. There's nothing to salvage from it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Cappy posted:

mlyp

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blockhouse posted:

As someone who likes very long jokes where the joke is usually on the person telling it I appreciated the punchline to the Company of Heroes questline

There is no punchline to the crystal poo poo

This. Titan may not have had a great payoff but it was a simple setup that worked. Crystals is just a waste of time.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The punchline to crystals should have been CId saying “oh hey you’re back I already figured it out we don’t need that after all” after you went through hell to get the right flavor of crystal for the whole thing.

Just like really drive home that the WoL is the big stick they hit things with and not a mover and shaker in their own right.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This is already better than the heavensward line

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Captain Cappy posted:

Its only claim on being meritous is that it's the result of like 5 years of development then 2 years of repair/refitting to turn it into a passable game. If you appreciate that part of it, play it.

But if you only care about if it's fun or good, it's not. Just buy the jump potion you'll save money, time, and frustration. It might have been fun and good when it was relevant, but now it's just an absolute slog.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Captain Cappy posted:

Lol, okay.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think this goes to show just how terrible 1.0 must have been if 2.0 was considered fun and good at the time. I liked 2.0 for the most part when I played it, but I also hadn't played a whole lot of MMOs before so I didn't really mind how slow it was. I made a new character a while ago because I wanted to be a catboy but I didn't want to use my fantasia. I'm still level 17 because I just can't make myself go through everything again.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
ARR is 100% worth it just for the last story quests before Heavenward leading into the expansion because holy poo poo coming from WoW I wasn't expecting that in the slightest and it set up the best expansion. I'm really hoping they match that spectacle for the second part of the 4.5 quests because God drat based on what we know about SB2 they have the opportunity for some crazy poo poo

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
When yoship realized that eureka is more popular than he expected, he's dying to find out how far he can push the players so they're adding new game + to let you replay the 2.x content

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

2.0 MSQ has always been slow, but it seems a lot slower now that it's just the first step before 2.x, 3, and 4.

Most content in 2.0 outside of the fetch quests holds up pretty well, IMO. There are plenty of flaws, but I still find the ARR dungeons, trials, crafting etc. to be enjoyable and worthwhile, and I enjoy the time I spend leveling my other classes about as much as I enjoy the time I spend doing end-game stuff.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Think of it like an internship. 2.0 is you being a brand spanking new Scion PA. Go get Minfilia some coffee. Go take some paperwork down to Titan to get it signed. Go take Cid's airship to get it detailed. You gotta put in the time to do the crap intern fetch quests before management trusts you enough to go out and start saving the world.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Where do minimum ilvl Coils and Hildibrand fall on this metaphor?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hildi is you being sent out to get a box of grid squares and blinker fluid.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Vadoc posted:

Hildi is you being sent out to get a box of grid squares and blinker fluid.

And somehow returning with them.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
wow is just not fun right now and I have canceled. Is it a good time to try this game out? good first page write up and some interesting videos out there but nothing super new.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
user/post combo.

Also, "unlimited" free trial goes up to level 35, which is basically a tutorial but it'll give you a feel for how the game plays. It's probably as good a time to start as any.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
There's an unlimited time trial that caps you at 35, which should be enough to decide whether you want to dive in or not.

My usual group has a bunch of WoW refugees; they got super mad at WoW's last expansion, tried ff14 out since a couple of us were playing it and pestering them to jump in and they loved it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

warcraft_boyfriend_99 posted:

wow is just not fun right now and I have canceled. Is it a good time to try this game out? good first page write up and some interesting videos out there but nothing super new.

We're very close to the end of the patch cycle for this expansion, and the next expansion drops in early summer. I'd say it's a great time to try it out, because if you like it, you're gonna be riding a big hype wave into the release of 5.0 soon.

Also yes, do the free trial.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just be aware that the first part of FFXIV combat and mechanics is super baby mode, and probably beneath your ability and 1.5s GCD-tuned internal clock, because it's Japan's "babby's first western MMORPG".

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just be aware that the first part of FFXIV combat and mechanics is super baby mode, and probably beneath your ability and 1.5s GCD-tuned internal clock, because it's Japan's "babby's first western MMORPG".

Once you get to end-game, though, a lot of classes, I have heard, are actually faster than anything in WoW, so...

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Try and roll on a preferred server for that sweet sweet boosted xp. With realm roaming coming not much reason not to unless you really really wanna hang with buddies in the world itself (you can still queue with anyone on the data center)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah when you hit max level, most classes really have more like a 1.25 second base gcd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Violently Car posted:

Once you get to end-game, though, a lot of classes, I have heard, are actually faster than anything in WoW, so...

I played feral druid in WOTLK (which was arguably one of the most complicated specs in WoW, and had a 1s GCD). Playing Bard, especially in multi-target situations, makes my head spin. And I'm only in the mid-60s, so I'm still missing an important proc ability.

On the other hand, Red Mage feels relatively sedate. There's not nearly as many OGCDs to weave or buffs/debuffs to track, and most of the decisionmaking is relatively straight forward.

So it's kind of a choose-your-own-adventure deal.