Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tef posted:

anyway like not that anyone cares but if you want the edited verison of my point https://programmingisterrible.com/post/176657481103/repeat-yourself-do-more-than-one-thing-and i literally wrote it down elsewhere

but tef, i don't want to think, i just want to write code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
tef was making a good point the whole time and you could smell the misconstrusion of it two threads away

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Samuel Johnson posted:

Defending the r-word is the last refuge of the edgy jagoff

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Brain Candy posted:

but tef, i don't want to think, i just want to write code

that's fine, write code in order to think about it, then change it as you understand what you're doing, it's cool

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

using the phrase “R word” like it was nothing is cultural appropriation and offensive:

“SV may be a little bit ‘TechBros before Negros’ but we smart and 95% white people have our own single-letter slur word so those blacks can’t have it that bad”
- you, literally

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tef posted:

that's fine, write code in order to think about it, then change it as you understand what you're doing, it's cool

no no, i want rules so i get it exactly right the first time

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

jit bull transpile posted:

tef was making a good point the whole time and you could smell the misconstrusion of it two threads away

buried in a shitton of angry rhetoric eh anyway let's talk about computers: they're bad

oh and welp we got a live one

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Brain Candy posted:

no no, i want rules so i get it exactly right the first time

copy what other people have done and hope they solved the same problems you have?

most of the time that means you want a job customising wordpress installs, or being a database janitor

there's stronger rules the more you move into a relatively slow moving domain, if that helps

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tef posted:

copy what other people have done and hope they solved the same problems you have?

most of the time that means you want a job customising wordpress installs, or being a database janitor

there's stronger rules the more you move into a relatively slow moving domain, if that helps

but tef, how will i know that i deserve my figgies if i don't write everything myself?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Max Facetime posted:

using the phrase “R word” like it was nothing is cultural appropriation and offensive:

“SV may be a little bit ‘TechBros before Negros’ but we smart and 95% white people have our own single-letter slur word so those blacks can’t have it that bad”
- you, literally
Yes. I'm sure your concern in this matter is 100% genuine.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Brain Candy posted:

but tef, how will i know that i deserve my figgies if i don't write everything myself?

that's why i said to become a dba, then you get the money for not writing code but carefully nodding and putting an index on things

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like how pretty much everyone came together in the end to agree that bad abstractions are bad

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tef posted:

that's why i said to become a dba, then you get the money for not writing code but carefully nodding and putting an index on things

i don't know tef, i don't think unicorns need dba's. i want to work on something exciting! and new!

then i could use a framework. that's not writing much code right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tef posted:

Hey have you been watching me

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I delete more abstractions I've created than I keep

I'm not sure what that means

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like how pretty much everyone came together in the end to agree that bad abstractions are bad

and all we needed was another two+ pages of people talking past each other

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Thermopyle posted:

it means that most of the code you've written is poo poo. welcome to the club.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i work in the dreamworld of no-abstraction-land and hoo boy does it suck

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Max Facetime posted:

- you, literally

do you throw a fit any time someone says "the f-word"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Thermopyle posted:

it means you delete abstractions that you didn't create? some kind of negative abstraction...

joking aside, I get this. I feel like most of my ambitious attempts don't work and I revert back to doing the most direct thing

but I guess sometimes doing the direct thing is not immediately obvious when writing code, you design abstractions to help you figure out the solution for the problem?

oh god I'm rambling vague programming self-help insight, I'm turning into tef

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

since all code is an abstraction I love deleting abstractions

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Max Facetime posted:

- you, literally

first of all, i'm literally black so lol at trying to race shame me, but second of all you are picking possibly the world's dumbest hill to die on: someone else's use of a slur that they already apologized for using.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

it’s hard to disagree with most of your points Ted, because they’re pretty general dare I say abstract observations about terrible programming, but preaching at everyone like you’re the one who’s got it all figured out and everyone else doesn’t just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. none of what you’re saying is even controversial or original

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

reading most of what you’ve put out there, I really wonder why you choose to do this as a profession (are you working?) I feel disillusioned doing this poo poo too but I’d like to think if I reached your level of disillusionment that I’d look for some other type of work

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think, for me, the big insight is that we often spend too much time thinking about the structure and organization of our code before we even have a program that does anything. It's more important to write something that works well and fault tolerantly and then look for areas where the organization could be improved. Yeah, that might be harder at times, but you now have a working state to check against for regressions so you know if your more structured refactor is OK or making things worse.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

we often spend too much time thinking about the structure and organization of our code before we even have a program that does anything. It's more important to write something that works well and fault tolerantly and then look for areas where the organization could be improved.

who can disagree with this statement? my point is that this is not a big insight hell this HOT TAKE applies to just about any creative discipline... musicians go through this, writers go through this, artists go through this, etc. a lot of them grow out of it and a lot of them don't

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

part of the problem is that in some sense it's hard to learn from others' mistakes. experience is the best teacher and guess what a ton of poo poo heads are experiencing these things for the first time all at once, but there's also a bunch of them that never escape the terrible pit and we have to work with them every day. it's exhausting but hey what are you going to do, manual labor?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

BREAKING NEWS "conventional wisdom" in $DISCIPLINE can be misapplied/misconstrued/whatever, and often is. now I'm going to tell you why you're a fuckin idiot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why did you light the stymiesignal

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AWWNAW posted:

who can disagree with this statement? my point is that this is not a big insight hell this HOT TAKE applies to just about any creative discipline... musicians go through this, writers go through this, artists go through this, etc. a lot of them grow out of it and a lot of them don't

I dunno, I think people start getting steered wrong from day one in cs degrees where half of what you learn is whatever is idiomatic in the language your department has picked and you start getting engrained into those patterns without even understanding why. Of course you're gonna be obsessed with beautifully organized hierarchies of types when all you do is write idiomatic oo Java throughout your education. I don't necessarily think the insight is important for junior programmers so much as educators and seniors who are mentoring young programmers. Senior programmers often also focus on code structure before function when reviewing junior code. I've been on the receiving end of that for sure.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

also, hell is other peoples code

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The amount of people arguing against tef in these very forums should show you how untraditional these ideas are.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

my hot take is that perhaps instead of fighting a losing battle against the plain as day inconsistencies and failures of how our work is carried out, we should be fighting against the hosed up system that screens out nearly everyone but the insufferable white men that could afford to go to college for computer touching. like everything else this problem is really just about white people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AWWNAW posted:

my hot take is that perhaps instead of fighting a losing battle against the plain as day inconsistencies and failures of how our work is carried out, we should be fighting against the hosed up system that screens out nearly everyone but the insufferable white men that could afford to go to college for computer touching. like everything else this problem is really just about white people

black people don't commit bugs and lovely abstractions?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AWWNAW posted:

My fist is in the air for ya brother

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

if you're going to indulge in f-word programming at least have the common decency to do it at home with your windows closed

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I think, for me, the big insight is that we often spend too much time thinking about the structure and organization of our code before we even have a program that does anything. It's more important to write something that works well and fault tolerantly and then look for areas where the organization could be improved.
On one occasion I had to have the whiteboard removed from the office of two guys because they easily did four times the amount of navel-gazing than actual work.

And the first thing they managed to produce was an ETL script that ran at ridiculously short intervals without checking whether the previous run had finished.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

black people don't commit bugs and lovely abstractions?

not that i've seen (says guy who's only worked alongside exactly one black person ever in past 18 years)

e: I can count the number of women of any color I've worked with on one hand too, and they're usually the best contributors on the team

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 8, 2018

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AWWNAW posted:

not that i've seen (says guy who's only worked alongside exactly one black person ever in past 18 years)

e: I can count the number of women of any color I've worked with on one hand too, and they're usually the best contributors on the team

restating your hot (warm?) take from another angle: I sincerely believe that software development is way more of a social challenge than a technical challenge so it's no surprise that rich arrogant white dudes with no concept of empathy are bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the engineering team i'm at is about 30% white

(its cuz it's 70% asian)

software eng was 95% white a few decades ago but now it's 60% in america, less white than the general pop, so the empirical thing to do is to go find out what asian dudes figured out