Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We need to airdrop copies of 'The Secret' on the third world, post-haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MothraAttack posted:

Nice burn. Speaking of self-proclaimed anti-imperialists, that reminds me of an NGO worker I know who said that she supports ISIS' destruction of colonial borders.

I think it would be fair to queue up the part of their propaganda video where they blow out people's brains with a suppressed pistol on your phone and be like "colonialist borders like this teenager's skull?"

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
It's weird. You'd think international humanitarian workers would be more understanding, but in my experience that hasn't been the case. I'm also reminded of a manager at a human rights NGO who, after the Ghouta gas attack, said it would be best if the rebels and Assad all just fought to the death, so that way there'd be no more al Qaida or Assad in Syria. I guess like anywhere, if something's not in your field of specialty, and you don't follow it regularly otherwise, your take on it might be off.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not sure how a self-proclaimed Caliphate is running counter to an imperialistic narrative...

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
It's pretty staggering how many friends of mine who are relatively progressive/left-leaning who have responded to this with "Let them kill each other". The US public seems to be utterly done with giving a poo poo about the Middle East.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

J33uk posted:

It's pretty staggering how many friends of mine who are relatively progressive/left-leaning who have responded to this with "Let them kill each other". The US public seems to be utterly done with giving a poo poo about the Middle East.

It is the option of self determination and democracy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Honestly, I doubt there's much else to be done. Arming different factions in a situation like this is just throwing fuel to the flame, and direct intervention basically never works. Supporting humanitarian and UN efforts in the region while hoping to hell that the Kurds manage to bloody ISIL's nose seems like the best course of action still.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whatever7 posted:

America has tons of gas and oil reserve. The reason Washington wants to keep buying oil from middle east because they need to do that to keep the USD as the oil currency/world currency.

And also because if we can drain other people's reserves first that's a better long-term outcome for us.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Nintendo Kid posted:

And also because if we can drain other people's reserves first that's a better long-term outcome for us.

It's not like you aren't drilling the poo poo out of your reserves too. You're just giving it away. Also Saudi Arabia has a looooot more oil than America.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just The Facts posted:

Outside powers haven't had much affect since WWII, at least in Sub-Sarah Africa. But, since they have no natural resources or strategic value, they've been left on own for better or worse, for the most part.

I know a lot of Angolans and Guineans who would disagree with you.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Just The Facts posted:

Outside powers haven't had much affect since WWII, at least in Sub-Sarah Africa. But, since they have no natural resources or strategic value, they've been left on own for better or worse, for the most part.

Did anyone actually really die in the Second Congo War? I didn't see any news reports covering it so I assume it was a relatively clean affair.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Letting this whole conflict go unchecked is probably not a great idea, although this is most likely what western powers will resign themselves to.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Factory posted:

Also Saudi Arabia has a looooot more oil than America.

The onlu source for those figures comes from Saudi authorities, who aren't exactly trust worthy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Friendly Factory posted:

It's not like you aren't drilling the poo poo out of your reserves too. You're just giving it away. Also Saudi Arabia has a looooot more oil than America.

We aren't though, we have a shitload more reserves that are untouched, despite the best efforts of oil companies.

For example, drilling into the oilfields on the Atlantic continental shelf is currently being held back until at least 2017, and will likely get another staying order at that point.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

J33uk posted:

Convenient, considering it was American hegemony that is making it possible. I assume you never talk to these arrogant assholes again?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I used to be friends with a bunch of Kurds who believed the Middle East will never run out of oil because of a passage in the Koran haha

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Miltank posted:

I used to be friends with a bunch of Kurds who believed the Middle East will never run out of oil because of a passage in the Koran haha

I've seen this from believers in abiotic oil claiming it was a "continuously-renewed wellspring" in that area.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Did anyone actually really die in the Second Congo War? I didn't see any news reports covering it so I assume it was a relatively clean affair.

Very low death toll. Lumumba and Sankara, the great elder statesmen, were summoned to negotiate a ceasefire between belligerents and it went pretty smoothly.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

MothraAttack posted:

It's weird. You'd think international humanitarian workers would be more understanding, but in my experience that hasn't been the case. I'm also reminded of a manager at a human rights NGO who, after the Ghouta gas attack, said it would be best if the rebels and Assad all just fought to the death, so that way there'd be no more al Qaida or Assad in Syria. I guess like anywhere, if something's not in your field of specialty, and you don't follow it regularly otherwise, your take on it might be off.

It's true, but I'm sure 50% of that is just because whatever idealism they had has been thoroughly beaten out of them.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

McDowell posted:

The onlu source for those figures comes from Saudi authorities, who aren't exactly trust worthy.

Nintendo Kid posted:

We aren't though, we have a shitload more reserves that are untouched, despite the best efforts of oil companies.

For example, drilling into the oilfields on the Atlantic continental shelf is currently being held back until at least 2017, and will likely get another staying order at that point.

Fair enough

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

Or, its a pan-Judeo Christian conspiracy. :clint:

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
The IF has developed it's own fire control system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcDL_Nqab-4

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Muffiner posted:

The IF has developed it's own fire control system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcDL_Nqab-4

What's going on in this video?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Kurtofan posted:

What's going on in this video?

It's a phone app which calculates firing trajectories for artillery.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Miltank posted:

Well, they're not wrong; humans will have exterminated themselves long before the oil is out of the ground.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well that and the oil needs to be actually affordable and worthwile to get out of the ground. So if global warming doesn't get us, the cost of oil certainly will.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ThirdPartyView posted:

Not sure how a self-proclaimed Caliphate is running counter to an imperialistic narrative...

IS wants to draw borders in the Middle East that are not the borders drawn by the departing colonial powers. Ergo, imperialism: destroyed.

I guess if you look at it as "local imperialism is preferable to European superpower imperialism" it makes a little sense, but at best you could call that a very small improvement, and then the whole 'killing innocent people' thing should make them pretty unsympathetic but I guess pretty borders matter more than civilian lives to some people :shrug:.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The borders drawn by colonial powers are fake and should be destroyed. The problem is that ISIS is the one doing it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anti-imperialists generally think there's only one country who's imperialism matters.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

Anti-imperialists generally think there's only one country who's imperialism matters.

Would you consider yourself a pro-imperialist?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Volkerball posted:

This is true if we're talking about Maoist Third Worldists; it is not true as a general statement.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
What should the borders look like?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xandu posted:

I think that's for the people living there to decide, not invaders, whether they're extremists from Syria or pith helmets from Europe.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Well if you're going to claim they're fake and wrong, what exactly is wrong with them?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Xandu posted:

That map from V2 with IS colors all over Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Xandu posted:

Well if you're going to claim they're fake and wrong, what exactly is wrong with them?

Usually I think fantasy redistributions have a Kurdish state in the north, A Shia State in the east/baghdad, and then the rest is a Sunni state. Something along those lines, anyway. The Kurds almost always get their own state out of it, though.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Xandu posted:

Created for the benefit of foreign administrative and political ease rather than by local administrative and political desire? That doesn't mean another more local force redefining them is going to be better though.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xandu posted:

The people living inside them are engaged in a three-way civil war.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Usually I think fantasy redistributions have a Kurdish state in the north, A Shia State in the east/baghdad, and then the rest is a Sunni state. Something along those lines, anyway. The Kurds almost always get their own state out of it, though.

And that could definitely be done, but I don't think we can really claim there is a historical basis for doing so. For much its history, Iraq was ruled as one part of a large empire. There was an interesting split between Basra and Baghdad (and later on Mosul), but the concept of Iraq is not really new to the 20th century.

edit: Kurdish separation with Sunni/Shia powersharing seems much more plausible. I don't see the Sunnis wanting to give up on Baghdad, even if they barely live there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MothraAttack posted:

Nice burn. Speaking of self-proclaimed anti-imperialists, that reminds me of an NGO worker I know who said that she supports ISIS' destruction of colonial borders.
Can you clarify whether she meant "I support ISIS due to them destroying colonial borders", or "I support ISIS destroying colonial borders, I just hope it'll be over quickly and then see the most extreme factions fight each other so relatively chill people can start to rebuild". Because it kinda seems like that's the only way the place can ever move forward. Some United Arab Federation uniting the various Arab states probably wouldn't be such a bad thing, as long as it's not the Third Caliphate.

Xandu posted:

And that could definitely be done, but I don't think we can really claim there is a historical basis for doing so. For much its history, Iraq was ruled as one part of a large empire. There was an interesting split between Basra and Baghdad (and later on Mosul), but the concept of Iraq is not really new to the 20th century.
One part of a large empire is very different from being just on its own. Historically, I don't believe the place has been independent and united that much. But yeah, making Iraq part of a larger whole might make the internal divisions much less relevant. That's still removing colonial borders though.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 12, 2014

• Locked thread