Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I disclosed nothing, especially things for which I was not caught and the SOL had expired.

Also remember today is admin professionals day, make sure you take care of your staff or there will be six more weeks of discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Abugadu posted:

...and figured McDonald's Cashier wasn't a suit and tie profession. It was grimace inducing.

I never realized that's how the Fry Kids were made.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 25, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I disclosed all the stuff FL asked about. My biggest C&F issue was I didn’t explain why I was unemployed and not a student for the 5 months after I was involuntarily separated from the military and when I started school.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I disclosed everything but it was all pretty vanilla. They cared more about my three speeding tickets in an eight year span than they did about me getting fired from a bank for being a careless teller. I had to write an essay explaining why I was speeding and my plan of action for not doing that in the future. The bar is a middle school vice principal.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nm posted:

Plus it got dumped because while judges hate lawyers, they love the gently caress out of law students.

Counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/tUkEq0taWg0

(not a real judge, yeah yeah, so sue me in People’s Court)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/tUkEq0taWg0

(not a real judge, yeah yeah, so sue me in People’s Court)

Fake judge
Also, I wasn't an rear end in a top hat (to the judge).

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Also remember today is admin professionals day, make sure you take care of your staff or there will be six more weeks of discovery.

Guessing outside counsel is going to send... cookies? Cupcakes? Fruit basket?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

When I was in college I got collared for pissing on a bush while walking home after a party, well away from the public road. Some real crime fighters, the cops at my school. I don't know what they actually charged me with but it was just a ticket basically. I went to court and threw myself on the mercy of the judge, who when my case was called looked at me, smiled, and said "Littering?" I said something like "You know how it is, what man can honestly say he hasn't used a tree in a moment of necessity?" And he laughed and said "Sorry, I don't have any discretion on this one."

But I reported it as "littering" or something, I don't even remember. Didn't seem to bother C&F. They didn't seem to care about my "disorderly conduct" infraction either (same dumbass PD arrested me for throwing an rear end in a top hat out of a party at my house and yelling at him to gently caress off rather than me and my friends giving him the rear end-kicking he deserved). But I reported both.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I disclosed everything but it was all pretty vanilla. They cared more about my three speeding tickets in an eight year span than they did about me getting fired from a bank for being a careless teller. I had to write an essay explaining why I was speeding and my plan of action for not doing that in the future. The bar is a middle school vice principal.

Tennessee looked back 10 years, right? I remember having to look up all the places I lived in Italy, and it was a pain bc I moved every few months.

My background check at the IRS was way easier than the bar app was.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The bar required more detail than a federal security clearance investigation.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

TheMadMilkman posted:

Tennessee looked back 10 years, right? I remember having to look up all the places I lived in Italy, and it was a pain bc I moved every few months.

I don't remember, but probably. At the time 10 years would have covered me back to minority and I was even more of a square before I was 18.

Amazon was great for address history. I think I left off the place I lived in the Netherlands though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When I was in college I got collared for pissing on a bush while walking home after a party, well away from the public road. Some real crime fighters, the cops at my school. I don't know what they actually charged me with but it was just a ticket basically. I went to court and threw myself on the mercy of the judge, who when my case was called looked at me, smiled, and said "Littering?" I said something like "You know how it is, what man can honestly say he hasn't used a tree in a moment of necessity?" And he laughed and said "Sorry, I don't have any discretion on this one."

But I reported it as "littering" or something, I don't even remember. Didn't seem to bother C&F. They didn't seem to care about my "disorderly conduct" infraction either (same dumbass PD arrested me for throwing an rear end in a top hat out of a party at my house and yelling at him to gently caress off rather than me and my friends giving him the rear end-kicking he deserved). But I reported both.
Mine was just a ticket, no court. $75. Might as well have been a parking ticket.

Oddly, the patent bar was much more picky. I had to file a loving FOIA request to get my records from the local police to prove that I had paid the fine or whatever.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

TheMadMilkman posted:

Tennessee looked back 10 years, right? I remember having to look up all the places I lived in Italy, and it was a pain bc I moved every

Same but China. It was a pain to find the addresses themselves and I couldn’t decide if I should write out the Chinese characters or the English transliterations which were really long and just look like strings of consonants.

Dumb arcane process

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Friend of mine is going back to school and while filling out her fafsa found out her husband has been hiding a bank account from her that has over a half a year of her salary in it. When asked about it, he just leaves the room and shuts the door. I see fun times in the future.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

TheMadMilkman posted:

New York did something similar. I forget exactly *what* I disclosed for the month sleeping in my then-girlfriend's dorm room when I moved to Ireland at first, but I know I disclosed something.

The bar was about as onerous as my DoJ background check, though more transparent and easier to get answers to clarification/scope questions - or maybe there's just enough of us in New York that bar staff are actually equipped to answer you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
from kansas's response brief in voting rights case

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 25, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Probably not.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Probably not.

I'd definitely include that in the reply

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

In the interests of judicial economy.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
CITE

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What the gently caress, you people had to go through inquisitorial hell just to get a license to practice? Jesus. Sounds pretty unreasonable. All I had to do was get officially vetted by the police for honorable and lawful conduct. It's much more fun when it's the police doing it.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Well these ARE the best people, if they think something's not worth arguing I'm sure they're right.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

JohnCompany posted:

Well these ARE the best people, if they think something's not worth arguing I'm sure they're right.

Not even the best people. Kansans.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
A judge hit new levels of petty for me today.

I went to a neighboring county. They like local lawyers and love to hometown people. At this point, I'm wise to a lot of lovely tricks judges pull to make you look bad in front of clients.

My favorite is "Counsel, state your bar number."

Anyway, I go in and knock out a prove-up.

The judge frowns, and asks "Counsel, is this your signature?"

"Yes, your honor."

"Please print your name next to it."

My signature is above my loving signature block. With my information on it.

"Yes, your honor."

Then I get lectured as to how this is fraud prevention.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

CaptainScraps posted:

I went to a neighboring county. They like local lawyers and love to hometown people. At this point, I'm wise to a lot of lovely tricks judges pull to make you look bad in front of clients.

"Yes, your honor."

"Yes, your honor."

Counsel, how big u dicc?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I had to submit additional documentation for the year between undergrad and law school I was working at my dad's lumber mill. Also for the semester I was in another university due to Katrina.

Delayed my swearing in by a month waiting to be cleared.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Y'all were too honest

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

"Yes, your honor."

"Yes, your honor."

Stay out of Malibu

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Texas bar asked about crimes in the past 10 years. I started law school in year 7. I just waited until the ten years was up to file the application. 😎

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

What is this? I’ve never seen it as part of appearances, but if asked I would just say it. Is this a trick question in Texas? Something to make you look inexperienced?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What is this? I’ve never seen it as part of appearances, but if asked I would just say it. Is this a trick question in Texas? Something to make you look inexperienced?

Had it done. In Texas District Judge it means: "who the gently caress are you?, why are you in my court?, and why did you take a job from a local bar member?"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, it's just to make you look stupid in front of your client.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Abugadu posted:

...denied on the basis that she was a presumed alcoholic.

I mean, if she’s not before practising for a couple of years, there’s a good chance she will be after.

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Same but China. It was a pain to find the addresses themselves and I couldn’t decide if I should write out the Chinese characters or the English transliterations which were really long and just look like strings of consonants.

Dumb arcane process

Just joined a Chinese company and I feel the pain on this one. There’s a country which loves itself some bureaucracy.

E: when I sat the Hong Kong bar, my first application form was rejected because I had changed the font size in the footnotes of the form (to make a bit more space on the page).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

Had it done. In Texas District Judge it means: "who the gently caress are you?, why are you in my court?, and why did you take a job from a local bar member?"

Ah. I might get a little “so where are you from?” or “pronounce your name for me” or “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you here” poo poo but I’ve never seen the bar number used like that.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I had a judge call me the wrong name repeatedly last week. I gave up after the third time.

Jokes on him because he'll be dead soon.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
In my career I’ve had several judges show contempt for me in the courtroom (“son, are you even old enough to practice law?”), but nobody has ever asked me for my bar number. If they did I would probably recite the first four numbers, then haltingly start listing random letters, and then shriek “the jig is up [client]. RUN!!!” And sprint out of the courtroom.

You’d probably get held in contempt but it would be worth it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I tried to tally it up and I think I've had a case in about 11(edit 16 or 17, jesus) different counties and I've maybe been hometowned once in my life and it was in loving Brazos County where I'm from and first started practicing.

Ok, here's the list - 21 Counties:
- Denton
- Collin
- Cooke
- Montague
- Hunt
- Wise
- Kaufman
- Dallas
- Tarrant
- Johnson (No Court)
- Parker
- Brazos
- Washington
- Burleson
- Victoria
- Travis (No Court)
- Harris
- Fayette
- Pecos (No Court)
- Midland
- Matagorda (Filed - no Court appearance yet)

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 26, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I've never been hometowned, but did get to hometown a state AG once or twice when I was a PD. It was fun.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Are Texas counties as big as I assume? That sounds like a ton of travel

Funniest home towning I've had happen was the old idiot firm I worked at siloed different cases between different practices, which meant two lawyers in the same room sometimes who didn't have each others cases. Other guy was super late and the judge made me get up and start arguing contested motions I'd never seen on cases I'd never seen in areas of laws I'd never seen . Lost em all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Are Texas counties as big as I assume? That sounds like a ton of travel

Funniest home towning I've had happen was the old idiot firm I worked at siloed different cases between different practices, which meant two lawyers in the same room sometimes who didn't have each others cases. Other guy was super late and the judge made me get up and start arguing contested motions I'd never seen on cases I'd never seen in areas of laws I'd never seen . Lost em all!

If I drove from Denton to Kaufman to Matagorda to Pecos to Midland to Wise, back to Denton - a loop that would encircle all the counties on the list - it would take about 23 hours