Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

Still moving around, eating more, drinking more, seems alert and aware, broke out of the cage earlier today.... still has the power of Satan on her side.

Never forget it's a female dwarf, they are as resilient as they are malicious. :) Hope things turn out okay for her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

UGH and now mine is acting weird. Doesn't want a treat (what the HELL), and she's all lying in a corner avoiding me and Billy so you just know something's up.

I guess since Billy's been doing okay I guess it was time I was due another vet bill. Yay for another night of worrying :smith:

edit: I gave her some of Billy's GI meds and considering the merry chase that went on beforehand I can safely rule out that there's anything wrong with her back or legs at least. But the way she plops over on her stomach is all wrong. And she pissed in the corner where she was sitting for a while.

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 20, 2012

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
:(

I hope that she is okay. Once I thought that Bitsy was sick but I was just freaking her out. After giving her the meds give her a bit of quiet time maybe?

Good luck, I hope that everything is okay with her. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk (talking helped me feel better about the Bitsy stuff when it was first blowing up).

bunny hugs.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Well today she is absolutely fine and back to eating normally (with psychotic enthousiasm) so I guess she just liked freaking me out right before bedtime, the rear end in a top hat. She's also the "don't feel like getting up, nothing wrong with pissing right here or anywhere else I feel like" kind of rabbit so that shouldn't have been taken as that much of a warning sign. The power of Satan always prevails.

It is incredibly worrying to see her being a bit sick though. I'd almost forgotten that horrible gnawing gut feeling and not being able to think about anything else. Plus the wondering if it was somehow due to something I did wrong. I hope Bitsy makes a good recovery too, dealing with a sick rabbit is a real fucker.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy didn't seem that interested in her medicine or the Critical Care. I'm hoping that it was because her gravol was wearing off though. She's still drinking a lot of water and when I picked her up she peed on me. I managed to move her so that she peed onto the towels that I have everywhere but what the gently caress little lady??

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

luscious posted:

Bitsy didn't seem that interested in her medicine or the Critical Care. I'm hoping that it was because her gravol was wearing off though. She's still drinking a lot of water and when I picked her up she peed on me. I managed to move her so that she peed onto the towels that I have everywhere but what the gently caress little lady??

Any chance you accidentally pushed on her bladder? You can force pee out of rabbits by pushing/squeezing on them a certain way.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Pig Boots posted:

Any chance you accidentally pushed on her bladder? You can force pee out of rabbits by pushing/squeezing on them a certain way.

nope. She was probably just angry / frightened or something. She hasn't been eating the CC but I have been able to get her to eat herbs. She is still drinking a lot of water though. I'm going to consider this one of those "two steps forward and one step back" things.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Tsjoe pissed on my neck once. Their reasons for going to the bathroom on you are not to be understood.

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js55S72p0Hg

Don't let your rabbits listen to Bjork.

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012

alucinor posted:

That's actually what I use but not everyone knows what those are. ;) I never heard of 'em before I moved to the midwest.

Rabbits aren't like rodents who want to chew wood all the time. In the wild they certainly don't chew down trees or anything! Most rabbits will chew in the course of their normal destructive foraging behavior, but it's not their favorite activity like digging and running are. If he's chewing on the bars, that's probably loneliness rather than repressed wood-chewing desire.

Easy enrichments:
Phone book (good for digging at as well as tearing with his tusks)
Cardboard box to hide in/hop on
99 cent plastic baby keys to jangle/throw
More running time
Digging box (rubbermaid container with a hole cut in the side, half full of pelleted litter/hay)
Big pile of hay to dig through
Handful of pellets scattered on the floor/in the litterbox so he has to search for them instead of sticking his face in the bowl
A friend (don't do this till he's neutered even if the friend is neutered!)

the phone book idea is awesome! he doesnt chewthe bars unless the cats walk by. the cats are terrified of him but he jsut wants their attention and friendship! I think he has a pretty good schedule. in the morning we hangout for 30min and i put him outside for the day (pending weather) i dont give him free run yet until he gets fixed.. but when i come home we play on the couch until he has an accident pretty much. hes only in his big indoor cage at night and less evening.

he has to eat the little pellets.. in a bowl because he cant grab them otherwise :(

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012

DS at Night posted:

Never forget it's a female dwarf, they are as resilient as they are malicious. :) Hope things turn out okay for her!

soooo my bunny is a pure bred polish dwarf. hes got a ear tat and everything. what is everyones opinions and or tips with those? hes a little terror sometimes but i love him ^.^

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

luscious posted:

nope. She was probably just angry / frightened or something. She hasn't been eating the CC but I have been able to get her to eat herbs. She is still drinking a lot of water though. I'm going to consider this one of those "two steps forward and one step back" things.

Ahh, okay. Your post just gave me flashbacks to accidentally making my sick rabbits pee while manipulating them to provide medical care. Guess she was just pissed off, then!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Pig Boots posted:

Ahh, okay. Your post just gave me flashbacks to accidentally making my sick rabbits pee while manipulating them to provide medical care. Guess she was just pissed off, then!

literally! She's mean to me :( I feel really bad for her right now though because she keeps on flopping herself into their waterbowl. She can't drink out of it but I can't take it away because he's too stupid to figure out the water bottle :downs:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lagos posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js55S72p0Hg

Don't let your rabbits listen to Bjork.

Ahaha that caught me by surprise!

Nice to see a rabbit with plenty of bounce in her. :)

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
We went through a bout of GI stasis this week with Freya. She developed some kind of blockage and stopped eating so we brought her to the vet right away. She was treated quickly and I went home with a bit more critical care and some medicine and she recovered before the next morning.

Here she is recuperating :3:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

AHHHHhhhhh it's shedding time, I have two rabbits now who are shedding, everything I own is covered in hair. Hair in my breakfast. Hair in my nose. Hair. HAIR.

Of COURSE now is the best time to be extra cuddly! Don't be shy guys! I think there might not be hair in my left ear yet so go ahead and crawl all over me.

beautifck posted:

soooo my bunny is a pure bred polish dwarf. hes got a ear tat and everything. what is everyones opinions and or tips with those? hes a little terror sometimes but i love him ^.^

I can only speak for dwarfs in general, not Polish ones, but don't expect them to ever stop being a terror. Enjoy!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So the bun we picked for Charlie to play with and be a companion is all of a sudden being terribly aggressive to Charlie. Bugsy is, from what I can tell, a young French Lop. We had him desexed last Friday, and he seems to have calmed a bit, but still lashes out whenever Charlie is near. What can I do to help socialize him?

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 25, 2012

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
It takes about 30 days before the hormones get out of his system enough to not be a dick. Keep them separate in adjacent rotating cages for a month (I have a detailed post somewhere way upthread, also see the advice here). Try again in 30 days.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

DS at Night posted:

AHHHHhhhhh it's shedding time, I have two rabbits now who are shedding, everything I own is covered in hair. Hair in my breakfast. Hair in my nose. Hair. HAIR.

Of COURSE now is the best time to be extra cuddly! Don't be shy guys! I think there might not be hair in my left ear yet so go ahead and crawl all over me.

I loved when my rabbits used to shed, and the ceiling fan would SOMEHOW get hair all over the scented candles I used to use. Best smell ever is brown sugar, cinnamon, and burnt hair. :I

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You own rabbits and that sounds suspiciously like complaining. The rabbits don't like complaining.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

AAHhhhh now that one rabbit is better it's time for the other one to get really really sick. :smith: Billy's chronic GI problems, that same poo poo. At this point I'm an expert at manhandling some meds and food into him, but it just sucks SO HARD to see him moping around not eating/pooping and obviously being in pain. Hang in there buddy it'll get better :(

At least I got him to eat some dill so woop woop to that.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Awww. I hope he gets better quickly. I worry that with all the attention that I'm giving Bitsy I might miss something being wrong with Paterson. He seems to be okay but a little bit grumpy. I guess that he does care about me afterall.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
How can one small rabbit (She's at most 3lbs) create so much poop in 12 hours? Yesterday afternoon, I cleaned her cage out, vacuumed it, and the apartment, and after getting home from work, there's now like a veritable carpet of poop everywhere! Harriet, you are a poop machine!

Also, she is apparently a private detective now too.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet, you are a poop machine!

Welcome to the wonderful world of bunnydom

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

luscious posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of bunnydom

I don't remember my previous ones pooping this much!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
For the second morning in a row, Cilantro has not eaten her breakfast immediately. I've given her a 1cc dose of Reglan each morning but I'm going to stay home until noon to keep an eye on her....

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I hope everyones bunnies feel better because I have some good news! Bitsy is starting to show physical recovery.

This was her last week:

She couldn't stand and would spend her time mostly rolling over and flopping around trying to stand and trying to walk.

This is her today:

Before today, any time that she tried to drink out of that dish she would flop into it and end up stuck in the bowl grooming herself. It was really funny and really sad at the same time.

I am so pleased with the results that I am seeing from the Panacur. I know that it is possible that she will take a step back with her results but I know that she is getting better and I know that it is working out.

So basically: GET PANACUR IF YOUR BUNNY HAS HEADTILT. Do not allow no for an answer!!!!! I still haven't gotten the results from the bloodtest back and the Panacur wasn't supposed to be given to me (thank god for accidents dispensing medication....) and you can't get it without getting an rx from a vet up here. gently caress that!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Aw Paterson's trying to keep her steady with his ear.

Yes Billy's probably getting better too. He ate some greens and crapped all over his cage so I'm taking that to be a good sign. He's still spending a lot of time in the litterbox looking annoyed so it's not all good but with him it never is.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Came home to a cleaned breakfast plate and poops in her litter. She ate most of her dinner but didn't clean her plate like usual. I gave her a half dose of Reglan this morning so I'll give the other half tonight before pellets.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

omg bunny drama it's time for you to end!

So Bitsy is doing better but today when I got home I noticed that her eye is inflamed. Not like, hugely, but it is red and the tear duct is a bit bigger than it should be. So I guess we will be off to the vet tomorrow for some drops!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Enthusiastic breakfast eating achieved!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Is it the eye on the side of her face that's facing downward all the time? If so it might be easily fixed once her head tilt resolves itself.

pseudonordic posted:

Enthusiastic breakfast eating achieved!

Yay, here as well! Billy's back to his old self.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

No it's her open eye :(

vet is fully booked today and they don't have an emergency option. Wtf?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I had to fight with the vets all loving day but finally got it:

makes her sound so dainty..

luscious fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 28, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I recently acquired a rescue bunny and currently she's temporarily being housed in a cage until the 8th. She's let out several times a day, but I still can't help but feel she could benefit from more stimulation in the cage as well. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for treats, toys, chews etc? Once the 8th rolls around she's going to a 10' x 10' pen but I don't want a grouchy, cooped-up bunny till then. I would let her roam a larger space constantly but she's still getting used to being handled so I don't want to upset her by holding her if she doesn't want to be held (I'm already learning just how hard a bunny is to deal with when they want to do something and you won't let them). Although the change of scenery/owner has probably made her pretty grouchy too. :shobon:

Here's a picture of her from the rescue:

She's a Holland lop mix, but seems bigger than I was expecting a Holland mix to be (close to 8 pounds, but I'd have to weigh her to be certain).

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

alucinor posted:

Easy enrichments:
Phone book (good for digging at as well as tearing with his tusks)
Cardboard box to hide in/hop on
99 cent plastic baby keys to jangle/throw
More running time
Digging box (rubbermaid container with a hole cut in the side, half full of pelleted litter/hay)
Big pile of hay to dig through
Handful of pellets scattered on the floor/in the litterbox so he has to search for them instead of sticking his face in the bowl
A friend (don't do this till she's neutered even if the friend is neutered!)

She's cute, looks like my Dodger. Good on you for rescuing her.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks :3: I tried the phonebook idea as well as a big pile of hay because she digs quite a bit. I have never seen an animal destroy a phonebook so quickly. :ohdear: It was kind of terrifying and then she flopped onto the defeated enemy and nibbled some hay. Seems to be doing well, only thing of immediate concern is that I need to clip her nails. There's a bunch of floof on her feet though and she's kind of squirmy, so I'm debating between doing it myself and having the vet do it when I visit next week for a checkup on her.

E: and also to see how much it would be there to have her spayed.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Have the vet do it the first time so you can see how it's done. Most vets will show you and may even help you do one foot so you get a feel for it.

Start saving for a spay; it's typically in the $300 range. You might get lucky and get a quote for $50, might be $500+. But it's not optional for girls - something like 80% of intact non-breeding does get uterine or ovarian cancers. EVERY female over age 5 that I've ever taken in, in 12 years of rescue, had had a tumor found at spay. With most, removal of the tumor was enough to prevent more widespread cancer and they've lived to 10+ years; with a few, the cancer had already metastasized out of the reproductive organs and into the lungs and GI organs. That was hard, those rabbits died at <7 years and I had to have them euthanized when their lungs/GI system became too cancer ridden for them to survive.

And make sure your vet does a complete ovo-hysterectomy, and doesn't just remove the uterus - one vet at a shelter down in NC (who shall remain nameless) has been doing the latter for 5+ years and surprise, adopters report that those does are highly aggressive and hormonal and die early of ovarian cancer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
When should I get Harriet spayed? She's only 5 months old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

AAAAAAARGH those floppy eared fuckers managed to get into a bunny proofed area and ate my favourite poster. Like they actually managed to unhook part of a specially made fence to protect the cupboard from them. They've been working at it for almost a year now and had to destroy several other items keeping them from their prize but they finally made it. Not even the pile of large bricks I added to try and reinforce the bunnyproofing could stop them.

THOSE ASSHOLES.