Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Brown Moses posted:

While the world is focused elsewhere, it looks like Assad is back to gassing toddlers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIAlfjqdRXk

Jesus loving christ, I need to learn not to click these links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
One somewhat noteworthy thing that happened today was IS driving the regime out of Palmyra's oil fields. Palmyra itself is pretty isolated so this isn't a huge strategic coup beyond getting control of more oil resources, but it's probably the biggest blow that the IS has ever struck directly against the regime.

http://news.yahoo.com/jihadists-seize-syria-gas-field-near-palmyra-140803695.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

New Division posted:

One somewhat noteworthy thing that happened today was IS driving the regime out of Palmyra's oil fields. Palmyra itself is pretty isolated so this isn't a huge strategic coup beyond getting control of more oil resources, but it's probably the biggest blow that the IS has ever struck directly against the regime.

http://news.yahoo.com/jihadists-seize-syria-gas-field-near-palmyra-140803695.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Supposedly this picture is of the dead regime soldiers from the operation. Shami Witness is claiming it's 170+, so it's probably like 40.

:nms:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsxRQpjCcAEjdKM.jpg:nms:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Today is a horrible day.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Supposedly this picture is of the dead regime soldiers from the operation. Shami Witness is claiming it's 170+, so it's probably like 40.

:nms:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsxRQpjCcAEjdKM.jpg:nms:

I follow that guy too. It's like speaking to a 16 year old COD junkie, but this time with actual bullets and bombs. Morbidly fascinating.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aurubin posted:

I follow that guy too. It's like speaking to a 16 year old COD junkie, but this time with actual bullets and bombs. Morbidly fascinating.

It's so weird watching him and his cohorts going off on "fanboys." Like jihadists laughing at n00bs and telling them to lurk moar.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SBJ posted:

Today is a horrible day.

Little else really needs to be said.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007
All of this instantaneous access to information and all we can really do is watch it happen.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'm hoping we get to watch IS and Israel put their dukes up.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Brown Moses posted:

While the world is focused elsewhere, it looks like Assad is back to gassing toddlers

I want Assad, Al-Baghdadi, and Netanyahu to have a shittiest-person-in-the-middle-east bowl.

Like great, you gas your citizens by the hundreds- but have you used flechette rounds in densely-populated Urban areas? What about Crucifixion? And then all the panel members hold up cards numbered one through ten.

e: why not throw Al-Sisi and Maliki in there while we're at it, turn this into a proper brouhaha.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 18, 2014

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

illrepute posted:

I want Assad, Al-Baghdadi, and Netanyahu to have a shittiest-person-in-the-middle-east bowl.

Like great, you gas your citizens by the hundreds- but have you used flechette rounds in densely-populated Urban areas? What about Crucifixion? And then all the panel members hold up cards numbered one through ten.

e: why not throw Al-Sisi and Maliki in there while we're at it, turn this into a proper brouhaha.

What's the prize for winning? A reserved spot in the frozen depths of the 9th circle of hell right next to Lucifer himself?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

illrepute posted:

Surely the House of Saud can send a representative as well

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

New Division posted:

Surely the House of Saud can send a representative as well

Aw christ, you're right. This list just keeps on loving growing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
al-Bashir counts.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Now why are we leaving the UAE and Bahrain out of this party of vileness and poo poo.

e: Qatar, too.

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 18, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Brown Moses posted:

More info on this? Jesus Christ, gently caress today.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

More info on this? Jesus Christ, gently caress today.

Just your daily chlorine bomb in Hama. This one was in Kafr Zita.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Volkerball posted:

Just your daily chlorine bomb in Hama. This one was in Kafr Zita.

The Assad family sure does love Hama!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

SBJ posted:

Today is a horrible day.

We currently have:

- Civil war and downed airliners in East Ukraine
- Horrible civil war and chaos in Syria
- Horrible civil war and chaos in Iraq
- Government collapse and incipient civil war in Libya
- Palestinians enduring their annual pointless massacre by the Israelis

Am I missing anything? Newspapers and websites would really need to have multiple front pages to properly cover all of this poo poo that's happening at once.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:stonk:

quote:

Partisangirl ‏@Partisangirl 46s

A hope a dream and a prayer for a world without an apartheid state like #Israel and without a place like #Kafranbel in #Syria . #Gaza

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Umiapik posted:

We currently have:

Am I missing anything? Newspapers and websites would really need to have multiple front pages to properly cover all of this poo poo that's happening at once.

Um, the Phillipines got hit by a typhoon that killed several dozen people today, and it's poised to hit China next (where rain and landslides have already claimed dozens of lives); Pakistani government paramilitaries were attacked by unknown insurgents, with eight fatalities, threatening the further destabilization of a nuclear power; the US stock market hit a downturn as a result of the bad news and poor commercial performance - including Microsoft firing 18,000 workers - and there is some concern that the international markets are due for a bubble-pop; in "you're never truly safe" news a French high-speed TGV, thought to be one of the safest forms of travel, collided with a regional passenger train, causing two dozen injuries; Floridan authorities are apparently reporting an outbreak of a painful disease carried by mosquitos, known as chikungunya, which has been terrorizing residents of tropical countries and causes untreatable arthritis-like symptoms. And that's just international news, I'm sure that I could come up with more on a non-specific/regional level. There's always a murder spree somewhere or a neglected population that is dealing with poverty and starvation. Today kind of sucked, but bad news happens every day. I find that it helps to just keep everything in perspective.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 18, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also, thousands of Syrian refugees have cancer and other chronic diseases that require expensive treatments, and since the UN has only received like 30% of its requested funding, they have to play triage by paying for treatment facilities that can save thousands at a time, but can't deal with more serious, longterm issues. These people are basically being left to die.

http://time.com/2956794/cancer-takes-a-toll-among-syrian-refugees/

You can donate to the UNHCR here.

http://donate.unhcr.org/international/general

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kaal posted:

Um, the Phillipines got hit by a typhoon that killed several dozen people today, and it's poised to hit China next (where rain and landslides have already claimed dozens of lives); Pakistani government paramilitaries were attacked by unknown insurgents, with eight fatalities, threatening the further destabilization of a nuclear power; the US stock market hit a downturn as a result of the bad news and poor commercial performance - including Microsoft firing 18,000 workers - and there is some concern that the international markets are due for a bubble-pop; in "you're never truly safe" news a French high-speed TGV, thought to be one of the safest forms of travel, collided with a regional passenger train, causing two dozen injuries; Floridan authorities are apparently reporting an outbreak of a painful disease carried by mosquitos, known as chikungunya, which has been terrorizing residents of tropical countries and causes untreatable arthritis-like symptoms. And that's just international news, I'm sure that I could come up with more on a non-specific/regional level. There's always a murder spree somewhere or a neglected population that is dealing with poverty and starvation. Today kind of sucked, but bad news happens every day. I find that it helps to just keep everything in perspective.

You forgot that at least 14 Tunisian soldiers have been killed in a militant attack near the Algerian border with at least 20 others wounded

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 18, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

That actually came out Wednesday, but yeah that's definitely some bad news.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

don't forget the ebola epidemic in west africa

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Relevant: http://youtu.be/g0SvNTcZ6gU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Any more info on the report on IS using chemical weapons at Kobanê?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Zohar posted:

Any more info on the report on IS using chemical weapons at Kobanê?

Nothing I've seen beyond the quote from the canton Health Minister in the KT article that was posted earlier and a statement from a YPG spokesmen who referenced "germ agents" being used. It is possible ISIS are using chemical weapons but the YPG have claimed some pretty wild things in the past, a couple of months back they where accusing Turkey of carrying out artillery/air strikes against their troop placements to assist the ISIS advance further west (never saw any evidence to back these statements up).

In related news, there have been reports of hundreds of Kurds crossing the Turkish border into Syria after the PKK put out a call to arms a few days ago. Here's some video of a night-time crossing that's been circulating

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Umiapik posted:

We currently have:

The airliner that was shot down had many high level researchers and advocates in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

ChaosSamusX posted:

The airliner that was shot down had many high level researchers and advocates in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

And something like 80 children. Enjoy your weekend. :suicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ChaosSamusX posted:

More than hundred of top-level AIDS researchers, if I am not mistaken.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh cool I was wondering how this whole thing could become more horrible :smith:

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

kalstrams posted:

More than hundred of top-level AIDS researchers, if I am not mistaken.

that's somewhat exaggerated.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

At least we got that going for us. :smith: I have not read news for today yet so my number comes from initial claims yesterday.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Camp Speicher, the base the Iraqi Army has been using to coordinate their attemts to retake Tikrit has fallen to ISIS.

This is really bad. ISIS is claiming to have taken out a large number of helicopters and piolts in the attack, and like the article liked above points out, it will now be much more difficult for the Bayji oil refinery, located to the north, to hold out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ISIS gave an ultimatum to Mosul's Christians a little bit ago. Convert to Islam in 24 hours, leave, or die. Cute.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think leaving is the sensible option. It is probably a trap though ISIS will probably just kill them as they are leaving.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

I think leaving is the sensible option. It is probably a trap though ISIS will probably just kill them as they are leaving.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but they do this all the loving time. If ISIS views you as an enemy and you're being allowed to leave their territory for whatever reason, you better be running.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Volkerball posted:

ISIS gave an ultimatum to Mosul's Christians a little bit ago. Convert to Islam in 24 hours, leave, or die. Cute.

I saw multiple reports that they had re-instituted jizya, actually. You can stay if you pay the tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fool_of_sound posted:

I saw multiple reports that they had re-instituted jizya, actually. You can stay if you pay the tax.

"Death to the infidels!"
"Psst... you know we can make a lot of money off them right?"
"No wait! Come back!"

• Locked thread