Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

TetsuoTW posted:

How did you manage to post this from the 1970s? You know South Korea's been a first-world nation for a couple of decades now, right? It's not some backwater assfuck stilt-shack nation.

It surprises me how many people think this, when Seoul is one of the largest growing cities in the world. Saerom (Where a lot of these animations go to) is a massive arthouse, and it isn't because they treat their people like crap.

I got to meet the heads behind Dora the Explorer (who also worked on Avatar and Animaniacs) when they did a presentation for the kids at Yongsan, because one of the teachers knew one of the art directors at Saerom and asked her to bring them on post for the school. Jeff DeGrandis, by the way, is an awesome guy in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Banksy thinks it and he is the only guy who is not in the pocket of BIG ANIMATION, except when he is.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

How did you manage to post this from the 1970s? You know South Korea's been a first-world nation for a couple of decades now, right? It's not some backwater assfuck stilt-shack nation.

The per hour wage for animators in Korea doing all the work for most shows (background painting, keys and inbetweens, clean up, etc) is lower than what interns just starting out get paid in my area to create stuff that gets shipped to them. The only exception I've found is the studios with heavy foreign influences on them, or are new companies like Studio Mir. (edit- I wasn't trying to imply they're a backwater country or industry when they're literally better at every step of animation than we are at this point)

I probably wrote that way too bitchy but something like Bee and Puppycat does not need to be outsourced on cell animation when it literally adds nothing. You don't even see film grain or anything that makes cell animation worth doing like studio Ghibli. It's ridiculous.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, comparing wages across countries is only valid if you account for the cost of living and purchasing power of each currency. The cost of living in Korea is significantly cheaper than America for almost every city save the Seoul GMA, which is more expensive than New York for some reason, you butthurt nerdlord.

edit- props for finding a totally not racist way to complain about outsourcing though!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Reddart: Karma Come to Life

Someone has decided to go one step further than making shirts with stupid memes on them. They are painting :reddit: comments on things now with possible shirts in the future.

The Idea posted:

Reddit can be a blackhole. So many people (80+ million unique users per month). So much content. And, so many opinions. For Reddit connoisseurs, they navigate it seamlessly while contributing to the dialogue. For a fair number of other people, it can be quite challenging to find what you are looking for.

So why not extract the wisdom and LOLs and great one-liners from your digital persona and transfer them to your everyday life....hence, Reddart! Michael and Brad have scavenged the depths of Reddit (subreddits that I am even scared to hear about!) and found a solid list of posts to kick off this venture. We're going to start small with paper goods (stationary, posters, etc.) and apparel and expand as redditors demand. The design will be a mix of modern, digitally crafted designs and hand-painted creations.....all centered on the witty, wise, sarcastic or generally entertaining posts of Reddit.

As you can see from these early mockups, the original Redditor who posted the phrase is highlighted on each piece. Some will be hand painted, such as the "everything saved will be lost" one above. Others will be digitally-generated like the "just because you have a history...." one below. We're not recreating the wheel, just giving new life to some great messages that are already out there!

"Reddit connoisseurs"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

contrapants posted:

Reddart: Karma Come to Life

Someone has decided to go one step further than making shirts with stupid memes on them. They are painting :reddit: comments on things now with possible shirts in the future.

"Reddit connoisseurs"

Hang in there baby
- Weedlord Bonerhitler

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, comparing wages across countries is only valid if you account for the cost of living and purchasing power of each currency. The cost of living in Korea is significantly cheaper than America for almost every city save the Seoul GMA, which is more expensive than New York for some reason, you butthurt nerdlord.

edit- props for finding a totally not racist way to complain about outsourcing though!

Reasons why outsourcing isn't always a great idea: development cost is bound to fluctuations between different currencies, language barriers and export/import taxes for non-domestic goods.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hang in there baby
- Weedlord Bonerhitler

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

madeupfred posted:

Reasons why outsourcing isn't always a great idea: development cost is bound to fluctuations between different currencies, language barriers and export/import taxes for non-domestic goods.

Neat, thanks!

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Neat, thanks!

Don't act like the only reason people would be against THE GLOBAL MARKET is racism, and cut the passive aggressive bullshit.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TetsuoTW posted:

Hos come so many goons work there then?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Usually a contract is worked out in advance that negates the issue of currencies changing relative values.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The per hour wage for animators in Korea doing all the work for most shows (background painting, keys and inbetweens, clean up, etc) is lower than what interns just starting out get paid in my area to create stuff that gets shipped to them. The only exception I've found is the studios with heavy foreign influences on them, or are new companies like Studio Mir. (edit- I wasn't trying to imply they're a backwater country or industry when they're literally better at every step of animation than we are at this point)

I probably wrote that way too bitchy but something like Bee and Puppycat does not need to be outsourced on cell animation when it literally adds nothing. You don't even see film grain or anything that makes cell animation worth doing like studio Ghibli. It's ridiculous.

NO ONE uses cels anymore, and you are just showing your ignorance by harping on about how using "cells" is stupid, because they're not doing that.

A cel is a sheet of celuloid or acetate onto which the outline image is applied (usually by some form of photocopying from the hand animated drawing) and onto which artists then apply actual paint. Even Studio Ghibli stopped using cels about half way through Princess Mononoke, in 1997 (some of that flim is cels, some is the drawings scanned into a computer and coloured digitally because they ran out of time). Disney's last cel based film was The Little Mermaid. The only people actually making cels these days are doing reproductions for the collectors market, not actual production art.

It sounds like RDK do their initial animation on paper then scan it into a computer and colour/composite it digitally. This is a completely valid and extremely common way of doing animation in the modern world and as previous posts have said, it's what the RDK artists are good at and is quicker and easier for them than doing the drawings on a cintiq. They COULD buy a cintiq for every single animator and spend a bunch of time retraining them on the new kit and getting them to the point where they are as fast and skilled as they were on paper, but WHY? They're already fast and skilled using a technique that works perfectly well. It ain't broke. It doesn't need to be fixed.

As for wages, Korea isn't a third world country, the options aren't work in an animation sweat shop or starve in the street.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Nov 15, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

madeupfred posted:

Don't act like the only reason people would be against THE GLOBAL MARKET is racism, and cut the passive aggressive bullshit.

as soon as that's the go-to talking points for the rectal pontifex at fox news i'll change my tune

ps blow me you randroid gently caress

also in this case horrible smutbeast is very obviously racist so gj on that reading comprehension homie

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also the South Korean Won to USD exchange rate is really really stable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

as soon as that's the go-to talking points for the rectal pontifex at fox news i'll change my tune

ps blow me you randroid gently caress

I'm a little confused here. Given the fact that you seem to love free trade and outsourcing, wouldn't that make you the 'Randroid'?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tortuga posted:

Hos come so many goons work there then?
It's full of Asian women and they're full of delusions?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fatkraken posted:

NO ONE uses cels anymore, and you are just showing your ignorance by harping on about how using "cells" is stupid, because they're not doing that.

Also, I highly doubt you'd see any sort of film grain anymore, even on totally hand-drawn productions. Film projection and distribution is basically all digital now and only getting moreso. There's really no reason to photograph a drawing with a film camera when it could be scanned with better quality.

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Nov 16, 2013

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

SaviourX posted:

Oh hay, just to show how terrible IGG still is, one of their featured things in the latest newsletter is that junk science calorie counter thing. Which is well overfunded. gently caress this earth.

In the old days you at least needed a bottle of snake oil separate rubes from their cash. These fuckers have no product and never will. And holy hell the amount of uncritical publicity they're getting for it. The magic food science laser phone is now a lifesaver!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/tellspec-food-scanner/
http://tellspec.com

isoprenaline has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Nov 17, 2013

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1302528630/masters-of-anatomy

MASTERS OF ANATOMY
*does not actually contain masters or anatomy*

Basically seems to be a kickstarter selling a book full of OCs that this guy recieved for free from artists that wanted to contribute, and has greatly exceeded it's goal.

Honestly some of the art is pretty good, I guess i'm mostly concerned about it's title.

cmykJester has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Nov 17, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

A Master of Anatomy book without input from Rob Liefeld? No sale, Kickstarter. :colbert:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
YKS posted this gem of a kickstarter last night. It basically boils down to, "pay me for waiting in line to buy a game console that I could have ordered and gotten from an online purchase!"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Noyemi K posted:

YKS posted this gem of a kickstarter last night. It basically boils down to, "pay me for waiting in line to buy a game console that I could have ordered and gotten from an online purchase!"

This could've been a semi-interesting premise if he expanded to other tech launches that draw lines (iOS device refreshes, etc)- even if that gets done to death by every local news channel every time a new iPhone comes out.

Who am I kidding- watch the video. This is just an unwashed weeaboo masturbating over the Xbone.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If your project is for a film, "documentary," whatever, and you demonstrate right in the pitch video that's supposed to sell us on why the world needs your video-making talents, and you don't have the first idea about lighting, framing shots, capturing audio, the rules of editing, etc... I don't know, you should be lowered feet-first into a volcano.

I mean I get if your Kickstarter is for bespoke oven mitts or your great idea for a truck-bed-liner or whatever you might not be able to make Scorsese up your pitch video, but if you're alleging to be working actual "documentary" maybe slouched, badly framed, in a poorly lit room isn't the way to go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Otisburg posted:

If your project is for a film, "documentary," whatever, and you demonstrate right in the pitch video that's supposed to sell us on why the world needs your video-making talents, and you don't have the first idea about lighting, framing shots, capturing audio, the rules of editing, etc... I don't know, you should be lowered feet-first into a volcano.

I mean I get if your Kickstarter is for bespoke oven mitts or your great idea for a truck-bed-liner or whatever you might not be able to make Scorsese up your pitch video, but if you're alleging to be working actual "documentary" maybe slouched, badly framed, in a poorly lit room isn't the way to go.

To take this one step further, you definitely shouldn't bill your employment as "independent documentary filmmaker."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Otisburg posted:

But this isn't just about paying for his xbox, he has stretch goals! Such as a sequel called Why We Do Coke and Why We Do Coke Off A Hooker's Tits

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Why We Do Coke and Why We Do Coke Off A Hooker's Tits

I would donate to those

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

I really got the feeling that standing in line for the newest Xstation is the closest thing this person has to friends. And. I don't understand why he thinks is this unique to games or interesting at all. Companies hype poo poo to get people to buy poo poo. Stupid people wait in line to buy poo poo. The end.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

:nws:http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/doubleclit-here-vagina-trackpad:nws:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

That's... unpleasant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Not to mention created by what's clearly a bro's bro.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Alan Smithee posted:

Not to mention created by what's clearly a bro's bro.
The creator is a woman (not that this is any less weird)

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
"You are a super dog who owns a specially designed helicopter."

A game being made by four guys who have apparently not played a video game since 1984.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

It got cancelled practically the minute you linked it!

Edit: Reads basically like that John Videogames kickstarter strip from PA. I did not know people like that existed.

chucklefucks posted:

We gathered in early May and began our ‘garage’ project. The project involves four eager guys and from then on, we have been working our butts off to create a game that will meet our and of course your standards. Our main goal is to create a game that will not only be very addictive, but will also look fantastic with a huge variety of levels, great music, in-game features, etc. … We cannot emphasise enough how strongly we believe that the FlyingPat will be a really good game.

The very idea of the game is so perfected and thought out that we are confident that this will also be the case with its realisation! But in order to make it all possible and in order for the project to thrive in its full glory, we woulad need your help.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Nov 19, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

It looks like funding was canceled right after you posted this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

contrapants posted:

It looks like funding was canceled right after you posted this.

Aw no, now we'll never have a shot at getting these super sweet pledge rewards:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Goddamnit goons this is who we should have funded not Dubious Dogs.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Helicopters are totally flown with a steering wheel.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Noyemi K posted:

It got cancelled practically the minute you linked it!

Edit: Reads basically like that John Videogames kickstarter strip from PA. I did not know people like that existed.

The got this far without comparing themselves to any other video games. I wonder what changed today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Slovenian Jerkoff posted:

Who are we?

We are 4 highly zealous guys, who are eager to succeed and penetrate the game industry.
:heysexy: