Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

Finn isn't Superman. He's just a guy.

Finn had the power to save millions of people.

This does a lot to support the interpretation that the film is about finding a daddy who will take over, and free you from responsibility.

greatn posted:

Tell me what bit of tactical realism Finn could have employed to have any effect whatsoever in saving lives in the Hosnian system from the Starkiller.

Maz has a direct radio connection to the Resistance. There could be evacuations, at least.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This does a lot to support the interpretation that the film is about finding a daddy who will take over, and free you from responsibility.

Source or explain your bullshit claims or be silent boy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

How exactly?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

greatn posted:

How exactly?

By warning Poe, Han or whoever else is in earshot.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

greatn posted:

How exactly?

By telling everyone on the junkyard planet he crashed on about it, obviously.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

One of the more bizarre things about Finn's characterization is that, despite his supposed background as a brainwashed-from-childhood nameless soldier, he emerges from the First Order as a fairly well-adjusted, self-aware, quip-spouting adult who likes to say "woo" while shooting TIE fighters and have a good time. Sure, he struggles a bit with being courageous, but there is never any question as to his ability to tell right from wrong. His past is never engaged with other than him being a source of plot-convenient intelligence and when he gets his schoolyard revenge on Phasma for being a big mean bully.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One of the more bizarre things about Finn's characterization is that, despite his supposed background as a brainwashed-from-childhood nameless soldier, he emerges from the First Order as a fairly well-adjusted, self-aware, quip-spouting adult who likes to say "woo" while shooting TIE fighters and have a good time.

The film is extremely explicit about the fact that the new-generation Stormtroopers are not their old ones. Ren even comments about how they should have used a clone army and we see multiple cases of Stormtroopers demonstrating actual personality. (Daniel Cragtrooper making a snarky comment at Rey, the Traitor trooper betraying obvious anger, the two who just turn around and walk away when Ren is attacking.)

It is not bizarre because it is supposed to be intentional that these stormtroopers are not the flawless obedient soldiers that the First Order ones despite Hux's protests. Finn is just part of that. Phasma and Hux think they are perfectly obedient soldiers or should be. Phasma and Hux are explicitly wrong. Like Ren is trying to imitate Darth Vader and failing, the First Order is attempting to be the Empire but are not as capable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ImpAtom posted:

The film is extremely explicit about the fact that the new-generation Stormtroopers are not their old ones. Ren even comments about how they should have used a clone army and we see multiple cases of Stormtroopers demonstrating actual personality. (Daniel Cragtrooper making a snarky comment at Rey, the Traitor trooper betraying obvious anger, the two who just turn around and walk away when Ren is attacking.)

It is not bizarre because it is supposed to be intentional that these stormtroopers are not the flawless obedient soldiers that the First Order ones despite Hux's protests. Finn is just part of that.

I'm not talking about finding it strange that he's not an obedient soldier, what's weird is that someone with his background would take off his helmet and immediately become Nice Guy Finn who provides comic relief and loves his friends, rather than seeming at all like someone who was taken from his family and raised as a child soldier by crazy fascists. The ridiculously traumatic backstory is just never addressed. He's out, so he's fine/Finn!

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 4, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He was a grown adult during the clone wars. So he's at least 60 years old.

He was at least 100 during A New Hope. Wookiees live a very long time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm not talking about finding it strange that he's not an obedient soldier, what's weird is that someone with his background would take off his helmet and immediately become Nice Guy Finn who provides comic relief and loves his friends, rather than seeming at all like someone who was taken from his family and raised as a child soldier by crazy fascists. The ridiculously traumatic backstory is just never addressed. He's out, so he's fine/Finn!

Why do you assume that other Stormtroopers aren't like that? I mean at bare minimum we can say that there are Stormtroopers who consider his betrayal to be a real personal offensive thing and not just a minor thing. Riot Trooper Dude wasn't just going after the traitor he wanted to beat the poo poo out of him with his stun baton.

It is absolutely clear that Finn has a sense of empathy that his fellow soldiers don't but that doesn't mean they don't joke around or laugh or things like that. We're shown that they are loyal to the First Order but that doesn't mean they're humorless drones.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ImpAtom posted:

(Daniel Cragtrooper making a snarky comment at Rey, the Traitor trooper betraying obvious anger, the two who just turn around and walk away when Ren is attacking.)
These displays of personality are in-line with First Order dogma and indoctrination, though. Of course the First Order would teach their subordinates to hate any traitors of their glorious cause and to be contemptuous of "uncivilized" proletariats, particularly if they're prisoners of war. Finn doesn't do anything like that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Finn is affable and well-adjusted because this is Star Wars, not Beasts of No Nation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

These displays of personality are in-line with First Order dogma and indoctrination, though. Of course the First Order would teach their subordinates to hate any traitors of their glorious cause and to be contemptuous of "uncivilized" proletariats, particularly if they're prisoners of war. Finn doesn't do anything like that.

Finn has an empathy they don't and chooses to reject his education. You can argue that it needs to be justified (and maybe it will) but people who reject brainwashing from childhood actually do exist even in the real world. The argument that he is brainwashed doesn't work because we're already shown that the First Order brainwashing is, at minimum, flawed and imperfect. The mere fact they have regular reeducation implies that Finn isn't the first. He's just the only one who pulled off an escape. (That we know of at least.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 4, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's one of those things that can be really tricky to balance without being too melodramatic, especially in a modern fast-moving film like TFA. He does exhibit some traits (imperial bigotry and awareness of his own mortality), and it's important to note that the opening scene was literally his first real combat engagement. What also helps is that he's playing escapism for a large part of the film; he's not FN, hosed up stormtrooper, he's Finn, aloof rebel gunner!

I imagine it will be addressed in the next film, now that the "big bang" of establishing the modern SW film style has finished, and they can start digging into more development.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its more like an intergalactic roadside truck stop diner to me. All that was missing was a big electric sign showing space-diesel prices.

Yeah, considering Han was fine with sending off friends to weird aliens for work, it seems obviously less seedy than other Cantinas; just pilots gon' be greasy and weird in a tiny bar on an undeveloped planet.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I think Finn being raised as a stormtrooper is what contributes to his comic relief, a lot of which is not understanding social cues. Things like grabbing Rey's hand, blatantly asking if she has a boyfriend, using her face to climb on, "I'm a big deal in the Resistance," that thing with Han Solo shaking his chin at something behind him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

By warning Poe, Han or whoever else is in earshot.

Poe: With him for five minutes while they are being chased by Tie fighters and shot down.

Han: Certainly could have told him about it, but how would this have saved anyone's life? Starkiller base fired a couple hours later. Assuming Han Solo could contact the Hosnian system, that they would even believe anything he said, or believe the First Order has such a weapon is one thing, I wonder how the hell they would do any semblance of an evacuation in such a short period. All that's assuming the Falcon has decent long range communications in the first place.

Of course all of that is also assuming he even knew they planned to blow up the Hosnian system in the first place, which there's no reason he would. He knew they had this terrifying weapon which is why he wanted to run, he may have had no idea what they were going to do with it.

"Solo, they've got a weapon that can destroy whole systems, we've got to evacuate everywhere!"

"What do you mean everywhere?"

"EVVVVERRRYYYYWHEEEEEEERRRRRRE!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soggy Cereal posted:

I think Finn being raised as a stormtrooper is what contributes to his comic relief, a lot of which is not understanding social cues. Things like grabbing Rey's hand, blatantly asking if she has a boyfriend, using her face to climb on, "I'm a big deal in the Resistance," that thing with Han Solo shaking his chin at something behind him.

I took his holding her hand as him outwardly projecting his desperate need to protect someone after he had just been part of a massacre even if he didn't shoot. The same as him immediately running to rescue her even though she didn't need it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly Finn's awakening didn't feel like it was due to morality or anything like that, it felt like almost everything occurring to him at once either due to his friend's death or due the force basically awakening him. (There is a sound effect that sounds a lot like the one when Rey starts full on Forcing when he takes off his helmet.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I saw Finn wanting to hold Rey's hand as him needing comfort, a subversion of gender roles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought that was way more about Rey.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

greatn posted:

"Solo, they've got a weapon that can destroy whole systems, we've got to evacuate everywhere!"

"What do you mean everywhere?"

"EVVVVERRRYYYYWHEEEEEEERRRRRRE!"

Alternately: "Wait... you guys didn't know about the superweapon? How the hell do you not know about the superweapon! It's all anyone ever talks about! Do you also expect me to tell you that cats exist? ...Please tell me you know about cats."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

I thought that was way more about Rey.

It's both. Finn at first projects masculinity by instinctively wanting to protect Rey when he sees her under attack. This is immediately subverted when Rey demonstrates that she's well capable of taking care of herself. The dynamic shifts to Finn wanting comfort and protection from Rey, and her being initially unwilling to give it because she's the rugged, self-sufficient masculine figure in their relationship.

Also, it's cute and funny.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm pretty sure the Resistance knew that the Starkiller existed already, anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BrianWilly posted:

I'm pretty sure the Resistance knew that the Starkiller existed already, anyway.

I mean who could forget that The Starkiller Kid that helped Han, Chewie, and the cast of Bucky O'Hare reenact Seven Samurai+1?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jimm_Doshun

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jimm_Doshun

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

Thank God we have Maz Kanata here to save us, meticulously designed and committee-approved to be so bland, anodyne, and completely lacking in any sort of unique cultural signifiers that no one could possibly mistake her for a caricature of anyone or anything.

Memorable character.

(Also, she actually might be a racist caricature after all. I'm not sure where the Internet's planning to land on this one. I'll keep you guys posted.)

I love this. Maz doesn't offend anyone with outdated racial stereotypes (ala Jar Jar) so shes a lame and uninspired.

You're white aren't you?

porfiria posted:

She's Chinese.

Is that what "the internet landed on"? Someone will be pleased.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 4, 2016

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Yaws posted:

I love this. Maz doesn't offend anyone with outdated racial stereotypes (ala Jar Jar) so shes a lame and uninspired.

You're white aren't you?

She's Chinese.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just like Donna Chang.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yaws posted:

You're white aren't you?

What you need to understand is that George Lucas, by including egregious racial and cultural stereotypes in his films, is bravely tackling racism head on, while J. J. Abrams, by casting a woman and a black man as his leads but not having any of his aliens display offensive cultural signifiers, is the true racist.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Phylodox posted:

What you need to understand is that George Lucas, by including egregious racial and cultural stereotypes in his films, is bravely tackling racism head on, while J. J. Abrams, by casting a woman and a black man as his leads but not having any of his aliens display offensive cultural signifiers, is the true racist.

That's what big budget sci-fi movies need. A rich white guy clumsily addressing racism in the most inelegant way possible. It's like Lucas told the voice actors to be as racist as possible.

Don't worry, we're being subversive!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Yaws posted:

Is that what "the internet landed on"? Someone will be pleased.

I'm having trouble following this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

JJ Abrams may have cast a black and a woman, but Lucas MARRIED a black woman, beat that!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Resistance took moral advice from Mitch McConnell. What does this say to you, SMG?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

I'm pretty sure "Magical Negro Chinaman" counts as offensive cultural signifiers.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Han says she's been running the place for a thousand years or something.

I had assumed he meant in space years.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

computer parts posted:

I'm pretty sure "Magical Negro Chinaman" counts as offensive cultural signifiers.

Oh, absolutely, I agree. But there aren't any of those in The Force Awakens.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

Oh, absolutely, I agree. But there aren't any of those in The Force Awakens.

An ancient wise woman who's familiar with the religion of the Space Buddhists and imparts wisdom onto the (white, for Rey) protagonist. Nope, nothing there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

computer parts posted:

An ancient wise woman who's familiar with the religion of the Space Buddhists and imparts wisdom onto the (white, for Rey) protagonist. Nope, nothing there.

A wizened old woman who teaches and inspires.

That's the real life Maz Kanata. Total racial stereotype.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

A wizened old woman who teaches and inspires.

That's the real life Maz Kanata. Total racial stereotype.

She looks less orange than in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

computer parts posted:

She looks less orange than in the movie.

She's currently weaning herself off the Minute Maid OJ. She had to drink several gallons before her scenes to get the skin tone just yellow enough, so people can brand her as a racist caricature. To avoid the crashing withdrawal symptoms of going cold turkey, she's working herself down to a juice box every couple of hours.

• Locked thread