Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Meridian posted:

So, with the game now F2P, is there any reason to pick up the $20 starter pack on steam if I wanted to check the game out?

If you plan to only stay in the free tier, then its not really worth it due to its most noteworthy items of value are for skill training. With the limited skill set you are going to remain as an Alpha after the first 30 days, its kinda wasted effort. Other items are super cheap in game and any good corp you join will give you the skill books and hulls you need.

Plus if you have happened to have never played EVE before and don't have and idea as to what you want to do in the game... don't put money into it yet.

If you think you'll subscribe for a significant amount of time, maybe then the starter kit is worth it for the game license, the 30 of days game time, and Prototype Cerebral Accelerator (two week skill booster, only good for new accounts), but even then only buy this if it is on sale. (Steam and Amazon will sometimes have it one sale at about $5, everyone once in a while Amazon will have it for $1. Premium Edition sometimes is on sale at 50% off, notable items is the 1 PLEX and 750 Aurum.)

Otherwise save $5 and choose just a one month sub for 14.95 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan
Also of note, if you ever ended up wanting to use multiple characters at the same time, Steam limits you to just one EVE account. (i.e. can't pay for subs for multiple accounts, or buy in game items like PLEX for other accounts.)

While are not impossible to over come this restriction, still a big PITA to resolve.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
While you can only have one account linked to steam all of the restrictions are gone. You can create a legit CCP account using steam auth.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pale Peril posted:

Also of note, if you ever ended up wanting to use multiple characters at the same time, Steam limits you to just one EVE account. (i.e. can't pay for subs for multiple accounts, or buy in game items like PLEX for other accounts.)

While are not impossible to over come this restriction, still a big PITA to resolve.

Don't think I will ever go that far with it. Always wanted to check it out and seems like one of those games I can have going in the background while I do other things.

Thanks for the warning though.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
*flexes posting fingers*

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im posting here because i saw the other thread is locked

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

eonwe posted:

im posting here because i saw the other thread is locked

It is now unlocked :D

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
grath has been solo roaming around in his marauder and taking on 10 man gangs (winning repeatedly), I'm wondering how long until it becomes a one-man caused evacuation of weaker alliances

also yesterday I wanted to drop a big thing on a kronos which was hazing our renters, but dys0n managed to get 20 blops there first

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Landsknecht posted:

grath has been solo roaming around in his marauder and taking on 10 man gangs (winning repeatedly), I'm wondering how long until it becomes a one-man caused evacuation of weaker alliances

Man, that's impressive. I wouldn't even dare to try going around in a ship this expensive seeking trouble. My most expensive solo PVP-ships so far have been my Pilgrim and a Typhoon I wanted to set on fire. (I was too lazy to transport it to a market for selling.)

And then a Gila and an Orthrus really did set my Typhoon on fire.

Based on this I'm like the Anti-Grath. :v:

This makes me wish I had more time these days for PVP. For some reason EVE and PVP always end up falling down my list of priorities. :smith:

Wealthy Aristocrat
Dec 12, 2016

Pale Peril posted:

If you have a CCP/Eve Account can you link it to Steam later on? Or do you have to create the account through steam the first time?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Libluini posted:

Man, that's impressive. I wouldn't even dare to try going around in a ship this expensive seeking trouble. My most expensive solo PVP-ships so far have been my Pilgrim and a Typhoon I wanted to set on fire. (I was too lazy to transport it to a market for selling.)

This makes me wish I had more time these days for PVP. For some reason EVE and PVP always end up falling down my list of priorities. :smith:

grath could've bought a titan with the isk he's lost on marauders/implants though

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Grath already has his Titans.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Landsknecht posted:

grath could've bought a titan with the isk he's lost on marauders/implants though

Eh, if you do solo PVP for long enough, you get numb to losses. If I had Grath's money, I'd dumpster Marauders and expensive implants all over the place, too. In my case, my Pilgrim and the (medium) Halo-clone attached to it is as expensive as it gets.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

also yesterday I wanted to drop a big thing on a kronos which was hazing our renters, but dys0n managed to get 20 blops there first

should have dropped on dys0n IMO

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

should have dropped on dys0n IMO

if i would drop a nyx on dys0n avery would drop his titan on me and who'd win there???

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Landsknecht posted:

if i would drop a nyx on dys0n avery would drop his titan on me and who'd win there???

Avery would die to a titan rat after killing you

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

iospace posted:

Avery would die to a titan rat after killing you

those things are pretty cool actually, and the 240m is a nice reward for having a supercarrier around

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Libluini posted:

Grath has another advantage besides skill and a very expensive ship: many of the gangs he potentially encounters, who could definitely kill his marauder, will run away instead because they know who he is and are afraid he'll drop a titan on them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Grath loves his Marauders. He'll sometimes let other people come help or will be in at least the same region as them and you can get some good fights. There was one night where someone booshed his sieged marauder into another fleet/gang and he was able to just rack up kills because they didn't know what was happening.

He's also been known to entosis in one just to bait out a fight from someone.

Klyith posted:

Grath has another advantage besides skill and a very expensive ship: many of the gangs he potentially encounters, who could definitely kill his marauder, will run away instead because they know who he is and are afraid he'll drop a titan on them.

Except that Grath has never done that to anyone, which is why when they freak out and go "oh god he'll drop a titan" it's both funny and sad.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Wealthy Aristocrat posted:

If you have a CCP/Eve Account can you link it to Steam later on? Or do you have to create the account through steam the first time?

I think you have to create it through Steam to have it linked.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

necrotic posted:

I think you have to create it through Steam to have it linked.
The Steam launcher is the same as the standalone launcher with the exception that when Steam launches it, the Steam-linked account shows up. You can use that launcher to add any of your non-Steam EVE accounts as well (and use the launcher independently from Steam without that account).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I thought he meant attach Steam SSO to an existing eve account, not the launcher (which clearly shows a way to add other accounts).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

necrotic posted:

I thought he meant attach Steam SSO to an existing eve account, not the launcher (which clearly shows a way to add other accounts).

Ohhh, sorry.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Yeah you can't put a non-steam account into the steam store purchasing system, which means that if you want to buy eve stuff through steam you have to make a steam eve account. As opposed to amazon, which can be linked to generic eve accounts and even to multiple accounts.*

But the only reason to have a steam eve account these days would be if you were a hat mogul or someone that has lots of disposable steambux. Eve is useless for steam sales, they haven't done anything through steam that you couldn't get just as good elsewhere, not for years now. The only thing they put on sale are the starter packs (which are terrible value when not on sale and only so-so at 50% off, and can only be bought with a new account in any case), and plex (which are discounted the same as CCP's store is).

*it's potentially worth it to do this in advance, seeing as how amazon has had pricing errors on plex and aurum in the past and having the account ready to go saves you one step in the rush to buy plex for a buck fifty.

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

Hi,
guys there was an awesome tool once which allowed you to select a certain part of the current window, which showed even when alt tabed and stuff.
Extreemly usefull when ratting or doing stuff with multiple accounts, u could browse webs and still see "local" or something like that :/

None remembers it's name ?

found, ONTOPREPLICA.

If someone didnt knew try it it's awesome )

Denis fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 6, 2017

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Isboxer can do the same but with more boxes and multiple clients if you are looking for more

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Klyith posted:

Dropping titans on people is underrated...

People scatter when they see a bus named I SHOOT BLUES :unsmigghh:

Wealthy Aristocrat
Dec 12, 2016

Klyith posted:

Yeah you can't put a non-steam account into the steam store purchasing system, which means that if you want to buy eve stuff through steam you have to make a steam eve account. As opposed to amazon, which can be linked to generic eve accounts and even to multiple accounts.*

But the only reason to have a steam eve account these days would be if you were a hat mogul or someone that has lots of disposable steambux. Eve is useless for steam sales, they haven't done anything through steam that you couldn't get just as good elsewhere, not for years now. The only thing they put on sale are the starter packs (which are terrible value when not on sale and only so-so at 50% off, and can only be bought with a new account in any case), and plex (which are discounted the same as CCP's store is).

*it's potentially worth it to do this in advance, seeing as how amazon has had pricing errors on plex and aurum in the past and having the account ready to go saves you one step in the rush to buy plex for a buck fifty.

Thank you for the advice.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Wibla posted:

Dropping titans on people is underrated...

People scatter when they see a bus named I SHOOT BLUES :unsmigghh:

yesterday some poor wormholes had their hole collapse next to our staging; we dropped 3 supers and a titan on a legion and a caracal

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

working mom posted:

Isboxer can do the same but with more boxes and multiple clients if you are looking for more

isboxer also costs :10bux:x5 a year right? OTR is free and works for lightweight use.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

necrotic posted:

isboxer also costs :10bux:x5 a year right? OTR is free and works for lightweight use.

Something like that, it does lower the computing power need of inactive clients as well which is nice but I'm not sure if it lowers ram need which is the most pressing thing imo for multi boxers. Does OTR let you interact with the smaller windows?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Denis posted:

Hi,
guys there was an awesome tool once which allowed you to select a certain part of the current window, which showed even when alt tabed and stuff.
Extreemly usefull when ratting or doing stuff with multiple accounts, u could browse webs and still see "local" or something like that :/

found, ONTOPREPLICA.

I use it so I can do more important things while ratting, like absolutely anything else

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

working mom posted:

Something like that, it does lower the computing power need of inactive clients as well which is nice but I'm not sure if it lowers ram need which is the most pressing thing imo for multi boxers. Does OTR let you interact with the smaller windows?

Sort of. I just have it activate the actual client when I click the preview. It's definitely not a competitor to isboxer.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

necrotic posted:

Sort of. I just have it activate the actual client when I click the preview. It's definitely not a competitor to isboxer.

But can you have it set so that you can see your f1 module and click it without needing to go into the client?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I think so. I haven't used it in a while but I remember a "Click-Through" option that may have done that.

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

saw pl leaving for Stain, wonder which side they will be joining.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Even odds they'll just drop supers on whoever they want until someone does something stupid, loses a Titan, then it's off to Tribute to practice for the AT.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

then it's off to Tribute to practice for the AT.

So much this!

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Denis posted:

saw pl leaving for Stain, wonder which side they will be joining.

lmao, where did you see this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Denis posted:

Hi,

found, ONTOPREPLICA.

CCP more or less declared this to be an EULA violation, in that incredibly weaselly way they do when they write the rule super-broad but then say they will selectively enforce it and won't confirm or deny any specifics.

The rule is that you can't use overlays that cut selected portions of an eve window and re-display them. CCP's semi-official tool, eve-o preview, is ok because it replicates the whole client screen. Ontopreplica is not because it can show just your local window or whatever.

IMO they were after isboxer much more than ontopreplica -- in particular the isboxer setups for bombing or whatever that make a mockery of their "no input broadcasting" rule. But anything that modifies the screen or sends input to eve is potentially bannable. OTR qualifies. Basically CCP seyz get a 2nd monitor.

(And the tools that read intel chat for you and do an alert when hostiles are nearby are ok.)

• Locked thread