Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sehvekah
Mar 14, 2010

I am not a clever pony
It took long enough, but someone finally made a mod that removes the whole forced family aspect of the plot.

Start Me Up - Alternate Start and Dialogue Overhaul

And yes, it also edits the dialogue to remove the references as well. Mostly. You're still looking for a missing kid, just not your missing kid. Also Codsworth took a few dings to more than just the old chronometer, apparently, as he still thinks the player is from his old family(though I kinda like this, a little bittersweet that he latches on to the first person in 200ish years that hasn't shot at him).

Still makes far more sense than to be gay/lesbian within days of seeing your spouse murdered, or spending months on random quests/another settlement needs your help instead of searching for your stolen baby.

I think I'm actually going to play through the main quest at least once now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
For fans of tweaked Survival play and/or Fallout of lore, this looked mighty interesting: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20724/

From the description, "Compared to other Overhauls, this mod isn't just a 'change a bunch of numbers' overhaul, JFO seeks to add in things to fill some voids as well as change things to be a lot better or to how it really should to be. You will have new ways of doing certain things, have things that felt meaningless before have better meaning, and things that really shouldn't be that way are no longer that way. In other words, this will be like FOOK, Project Nevada, and After War Nevada from Fallout New Vegas, or even Requiem from Skyrim."

Still in Alpha at the moment, and requires a new game.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I wish the Talking Deathclaws survived canonically after FO2 :smith:

Y'all need the Methclaw mod for New Vegas. Escaped Enclave "improved model" is now selling :catdrugs: at Quarry Junction.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyway, I still contest that Fallout 4 is just a much better Fallout 3, so if Bethesda raped your childhood they already did it several years ago with even shittier combat, a dumber main plot featuring a worse Brotherhood of Steel, and a DLC where you take over a spaceship with the help of a little girl :shrug:

Yeah, I think it was better than 3, which I couldn't even play a ton of. I even think New Vegas was better, but that some of the scavenging aspects and settlement building were really cool additions, and I am hopeful that with some improvements, Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 will be incredible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bicyclops posted:

Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 will be incredible.

I'm afraid that you have brain damage

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

:rolleyes:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like Fallout 4 and I enjoy it even more now that I know it makes nerds angry enough to go on 3 hour long rants :evilbuddy:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd love to play a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game that is even nearly as high quality as Witcher 3.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I need more posts to convince me if fallout 4 is good or bad.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

good, bad, bethesda is the one with the money

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Neither. It's just mediocre and disappointing.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What did you like the most about FNV or Skyrim/TES games?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It's a thoroughly enjoyable game with some flaws when it comes to the second half of virtually all of the questlines, and some annoying repetition when it comes to the radiant stuff (which feels more ever-present than before)8. It feels a little more half-finished than some of Bethesda's other games. Personally, I think the combat is quite good, the settlement and crafting aspects are addictive and fun, the Boston flavor and setting are great, and a lot of the sidequests, like the Silver Shroud or most of the ones that interact with robots, are a lot of fun. There are times when the world feels a bit too unpopulated due to using the generic "Settler" often instead of named NPCs. I think companions have improved over previous Bethesda games, both in terms of who you can select and in terms of the mechanics behind companions. The voice acting is the pretty standard Bethesda-fair, with minor improvements because they seemed to have found people who were decent at the local accent instead of asking them to do some kind of weird, generic medieval fantasy voice.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I'd love to play a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game that is even nearly as high quality as Witcher 3.

Apparently this means you have brain damage or something? I admit I've mostly lost the plot here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Magmarashi posted:

Apparently this means you have brain damage or something? I admit I've mostly lost the plot here.

Nah, Witcher 3 is a good well written game

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It's all about the frame of reference, it's bad if you expect a Fallout RPG, it's good if you expect a Borderlands/Minecraft hybrid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Witcher 3 is so far the best RPG of the 21st century, by far.

• Long and incredibly well-written story
  • Believable characters with different backgrounds, motivations and superb voice-acting
  • Shitload of side quests that have lots of variety and depth (especially compared to Fallout 4's repeatable grind quests)
  • Huge game world that is 3 times as large as FO4 and at least as detailed, if not more so
  • Lots of free post-release patches and DLCs, many of which given away for free (compared to Bethesda's nickel-and-diming)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like they are sufficiently different games that it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges really.

It did have way better writing quality though, both in the main story and in side quests.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Witcher 3 is definitely amazing (I just started playing it like a week ago after buying it forever ago) but it's not really hitting the same marks as Fallout 4, and arguably the actual non-quest exploration is just about the only thing F4 gets better, if only because Geralt moves like a drunk lumbering boat and just trying to click on the right thing in a cabin where a candle is next to some loot containers can be a nightmare.

The combat is also a lot better in F4, which is something I never thought I'd be saying about any Bethesda game, ever, but there it is.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're two completely different games of two completely different genres :psyduck:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Your Computer posted:

They're two completely different games of two completely different genres :psyduck:

That's true, I keep forgetting Fallout 4 is not a real RPG.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

The combat is also a lot better in F4, which is something I never thought I'd be saying about any Bethesda game, ever, but there it is.

I play a melee character and I have to disagree rather strongly.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Fallout 4 is good and fun until you come to a settlement or talk to an NPC or do a quest. There's a superhard core mod that rips all the story and quests out of New Vegas and turns into a hardcore survival simulator. I don't get the appeal for New Vegas; I know Fallout 4 has a sequel mod. Superhardcore survival has zero appeal to me, but I'd play a mod that ripped out the story and dialog and made the game just about dungeon diving and exploring.

I honestly have no idea why they went with a voiced protagonist. Like Bethesda's games are good in spite of their story and I've had fun with them because they kind of just let you mess around in their world(they're far preferable to Bioware's soap operas, at least).

Also the dialog wheel was terrible in Mass Effect and its terrible in Fallout 4. I truly don't understand that "innovation."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

prometheusbound2 posted:

I honestly have no idea why they went with a voiced protagonist. Like Bethesda's games are good in spite of their story and I've had fun with them because they kind of just let you mess around in their world(they're far preferable to Bioware's soap operas, at least).

Also the dialog wheel was terrible in Mass Effect and its terrible in Fallout 4. I truly don't understand that "innovation."

Fallout 4 started its development when Mass Effect was at the height of its popularity, which I am guessing is not a coincidence. They also said they hired the voice actors right away as soon as they had started work on the game so it's probably the 'ol sunken cost fallacy at work here.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
While the stories for Witcher games were always a big +, I always disliked the combat to the point I had to take regular breaks from the game. Also I think my PC is too old to run the W3 so I just read/watched the story instead.

As much as I like some of the FO4 characters and Serana is still one of the most fun companions in a Bethesda game, they can't touch Witcher's characters by a long shot.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Fallout 4 is good and fun until you come to a settlement or talk to an NPC or do a quest.

I was having a huge blast doing only settlements/building/exploring on my own without caring for factions or the like....

Then at level 46 I decided to start questing and the dreaded boredom reared its head again. If Skyrim had that settlement building stuff, I don't think I'd have ever stopped for FO4. Not the whole watch over 50 settlements - which gets old fast - but build a huge extensive one, that is.

The MSQ is really just abominable on second+ playthroughs. I never finished FH or NW because by the point it feels natural to go do them, previous quests just kill my enjoyment of the game.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 22, 2016

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
Chalk me up as another person who enjoyed Fallout 4. It's more fun to play than Fallout 3, and definitely has a more interesting story and set of characters. It's got problems, a fair few of them, but I think more of them are down to execution than concepts, and it's much easier for a studio to get better at the former than the latter.

I also think comparing it with The Witcher 3 can be tricky. The latter game truly is outstanding, and it's a bit harsh to have a go at any game for not being near to such a high watermark. And with regards to something as important as dialogue, The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are quite similar in design. One might use a wheel and the other a list, sure, but both summarise their dialogue entries and during conversations The Witcher 3 often presents you with 3 or fewer responses to choose from. I think its dialogue system has much more in common with games like Fallout 4 and the Mass Effects than it does with the Infinity games of old, or even New Vegas. The Witcher 3 is often quite economical in the choices it offers the player, the trick is that they do a very good job of making every choice interesting and well-written.

Veeta fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 22, 2016

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Settlement-building sucks, I hope Bethesda ditches it moving forward (they won't). If we're comparing Witcher 3 to Fallout 4, another W3 advantage is that it doesn't waste its time with lovely Minecraft

Also, Fallout 4's "improved" combat, while certainly improved by Bethesda standards, is still pretty crappy compared to almost any other game from the last decade with combat in it (except Fallout 3 and NV).

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Iron Crowned posted:

Fallout 5: the five stands for 5 dialogue options!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

Settlement-building sucks, I hope Bethesda ditches it moving forward (they won't). If we're comparing Witcher 3 to Fallout 4, another W3 advantage is that it doesn't waste its time with lovely Minecraft

The settlement building was entirely optional mang, you can literally ignore it forever and the game is otherwise unchanged

And to the contrary settlement building was cool as hell and they should actually add real quests and benefits to maintaining one beyond it looking cool

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Whoof... Got real NMA in here again. Fallout 4 is a good game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

It sounds like you didn't use the right combination of drugs/perks/murder knives

But it is a valid criticism, because melee and especially unarmed are woefully inadequate in F4, but you have a lot of different options and a lot of different perks and can end up being all manner of combat monster, whereas every play through of the Witcher 3 is going to have pretty much the same combat of a guy on the edge of a group of enemies plinking away with his sword, dodging around and throwing up that shield from start to finish. Like there's the obvious optimal route or there's playing on baby difficulty, whereas in F4 even in survival there's a lot of viable branches, even if most of them involve guns.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
in before someone accuses me of having a "meltdown"

Wolfsheim posted:

The settlement building was entirely optional mang, you can literally ignore it forever and the game is otherwise unchanged

And to the contrary settlement building was cool as hell and they should actually add real quests and benefits to maintaining one beyond it looking cool

That's such a cop-out--Bethesda clearly intended lovely Minecraft to be a major feature of the game, even if it's technically optional. "A massive chunk of the content in the game is lovely, but it's optional" is pretty a pretty lame excuse, mang. The radiant quests and the main story are lovely too, even if they're technically "optional"--should we just ignore those too?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Whoof... Got real NMA in here again. Fallout 4 is a good game.

nah

enraged_camel posted:

Melee combat was entirely optional mang, you can literally ignore it forever and the game is otherwise unchanged

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 22, 2016

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

in before someone accuses me of having a "meltdown"

That's such a cop-out--Bethesda clearly intended lovely Minecraft to be a major feature of the game, even if it's technically optional. "A massive chunk of the content in the game is lovely, but it's optional" is pretty a pretty lame excuse, mang. The radiant quests and the main story are lovely too, even if they're technically "optional"--should we just ignore those too?

nah

Melee combat was entirely optional mang, you can literally ignore it forever and the game is otherwise unchanged

Let me just say, nice meltdown. But also what I meant was you can remove settlement building entirely from F4 and it still has more/better content than F3 and its totally okay to hate both/Bethesda etc but it's still a complete game without it :waycool:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You could also argue melee/unarmed being totally anemic compared to guns is just a way of going back to the series' roots

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I hope settlement building is expanded and improved in future Fallouts. Would be sick in the next TES too

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I will say that Nick Valentine and Piper were my favorite characters in any Bethesda game, but I think there's a Peter Principle at work at their writing team. Emil Pag-something wrote the excellent Dark Brotherhood storyline, and then the main story of Fallout 3.

I think there's a certain irony there. Bioware is capable-or was capable-of good writing and storytelling, but they tried to do Skyrim in Dragon Age Inquisition. The open world parts were terrible, but the writing, story, and characters were-well not my cup of tea, but I could see how it would appeal to some.

Fallout 4 tried to the voice protaganists and emotional storyline, and its open world remained great, but holy crap was the story aggressively bad.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I lol'd when Piper was banging on the door to the mayor's office demanding to be let in, then got mad at me when I picked the lock

Wolfsheim posted:

Let me just say, nice meltdown. But also what I meant was you can remove settlement building entirely from F4 and it still has more/better content than F3 and its totally okay to hate both/Bethesda etc but it's still a complete game without it :waycool:

The game is already shallower than a puddle, removing a massive chunk of the content, however lovely, and not replacing it with something better wouldn't help it. And call me crazy, but I think game developers, even Bethesda, should aim higher than the bare minimum needed to make a "complete game" :thumbsup:

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 22, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone clearly didn't get the memo to quit gettin' mad at video games.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

It sounds like you didn't use the right combination of drugs/perks/murder knives

But it is a valid criticism, because melee and especially unarmed are woefully inadequate in F4, but you have a lot of different options and a lot of different perks and can end up being all manner of combat monster, whereas every play through of the Witcher 3 is going to have pretty much the same combat of a guy on the edge of a group of enemies plinking away with his sword, dodging around and throwing up that shield from start to finish. Like there's the obvious optimal route or there's playing on baby difficulty, whereas in F4 even in survival there's a lot of viable branches, even if most of them involve guns.

See, I had the opposite experience. The problem with melee builds in FO4 is not that they are inadequate. On the contrary, I simply crush everything I come across. Between X-04 Power Armor Mk VI and Super Sledge, I have yet to run across anything that is even remotely a challenge, including legendary deathclaws. I do play on "Very Hard" though, so maybe I need to bump it up to Survival.

The problem with melee in FO4 is simply this: it's boring as gently caress. You have a basic attack, a power attack, and a block (which is almost entirely unnecessary when wearing power armor). Fights are mostly about sprinting to an enemy, standing in place to trigger the damage bonus of Rooted, hitting them twice, then moving on to the next enemy until everything is dead.

I know a lot of people didn't like Witcher 3's combat, but I thought it offered plenty of tactical elements, as well as a need for preparation in advance using various oils (at least in higher difficulties). Sure you had your sword, but you also had a variety of spells (rooting enemies in place, setting them on fire, shielding self, etc.) as well as bombs and crossbow attacks. You could also dodge attacks in addition to parrying them, which offered additional mobility when needed. It's not a perfect system by any means, but it's also not dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Wolfsheim posted:

You could also argue melee/unarmed being totally anemic compared to guns is just a way of going back to the series' roots

Melee is the most op build if you get the right perks not sure what is trying to be said.

• Locked thread