Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

McDowell posted:

They're anti-moderns, so they don't really fit neatly into American left/right categories.

That said, one American political party is more anti-modern than the other.

ISIS could be described as post-modern, really. They're brutal terrorists appropriating social media and menes to impose an anachronistic medieval kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

whatever7 posted:

Iran really is the most progressive country in the Middle East with a working political system and a progressive society. I don't see much different between Iran's political system and the China's. Thanks to Bush getting rip of two of Iran's main foes Saddan and Taliban the US can't keep Iran down that much longer.

Just a quick reminder that Iran hangs people from construction cranes for being gay. Lebanon is by far the most 'progressive' country in the Middle East, followed by Turkey (morso pre-AKP).

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Count Roland posted:

I keep seeing this drive-by being called random.

When I first saw it, it was part of a BBC report. They said that the video showed ISIS (as they were still called at that time) setting up checkpoints and ambushing Iraqi soldiers on their way to reporting for duty. This was when they were first seizing Mosul. BBC said they had a list of names, and appeared to be following it. I've seen the clips taken out of this context many times to support the idea that these attacks are just random violence. Unless someone can correct me, it seems very targeted, and not random at all.

Alright, from a "gently caress them up on Christmas, Washington-Style," guerrilla warfare perspective I get that, but then why the MLG#360noscope$$$420$$$ video to glorify it? gently caress, why TAPE it? I mean, besides the very clear motivation to people not to help your enemies... well, thanks for helping me understand they're very good at using fear and propaganda, I guess.

:smith:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

ISIS could be described as post-modern, really. They're brutal terrorists appropriating social media and menes to impose an anachronistic medieval kingdom.

That is the funny thing about post-modernity, you can be both post and anti-modern. Or you could say that a complete rejection of modernity is one outcome of a post-modern mindset, using the tools available regardless of dissonance.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Also, at least on the legislative level and partly at the executive, Iran is multi-party even if a un-elected authority has effectively a veto. If anything Ahmadinejad was a boon to the neo-conservatives simply because he made Iran seem far more extreme than it really was and is.

From what I remember of my comparative government class in college, I was really surprised (especially learning this in the height of the bomb-bomb-Iran era in 2006) to learn the Iranian system of government/Majlis, when taken together, practically mirrored the American system of government. All you need to do is make the Supreme Court clerics instead of lawyers, and also give them the final say on legislation instead of the president. Boom, Iran. Funniest thing is the people in the US that are itching for war with Iran desperately want their system of government the most.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

S.T.C.A. posted:

Alright, from a "gently caress them up on Christmas, Washington-Style," guerrilla warfare perspective I get that, but then why the MLG#360noscope$$$420$$$ video to glorify it? gently caress, why TAPE it? I mean, besides the very clear motivation to people not to help your enemies... well, thanks for helping me understand they're very good at using fear and propaganda, I guess.

That's just transferred behaviour, though? ISIS feels like the perfect counterpoint to all those claims that violent video games don't make kids into aggressive adults. It turns out that, yeah, if the environment outside feels extremely close to what's in the game, the lines do kind of... blur. Fascinating, really.

I wonder if it's possible to engender empathy this way as well. Perhaps the solution to the I/P conflict is fifteen years of Facebook games featuring Israeli and Palestinians living peacefully side by side?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So... What happens if ISIS actually manages to take Baghdad and assume control of Iraq? Does Iraq get glassed by Israel or what?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheRamblingSoul posted:

So... What happens if ISIS actually manages to take Baghdad and assume control of Iraq? Does Iraq get glassed by Israel or what?

Not immediately, no, but yeah the end result is probably nukes fly, everyone dies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Not immediately, no, but yeah the end result is probably nukes fly, everyone dies.

Realistically wouldn't the surrounding countries just arm their boarders (except Syria who doesn't really have that capability at the moment), then put in some international sanctions in place occasionally condemn anything they do that happens to make it to the international news, but pretty much just let it play out. Pretty much just treat it as another North Korea.

I could see Iran, Russia, Turkey or the US arming rebel groups inside a IS run state, but would any of those countries have the political will for an actual invasion? (legitimate question, I really have no idea.)

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Chokes McGee posted:

My fear is that this ends up like the Taliban, where everyone goes, "Not my problem. :shrug:" until they, I don't know, harbor an international criminal when a major western power wants revenge or something.

I want to believe everyone will realize ISIS is a threat to all of them and smear them on the ground when/if Assad falls, but I somehow have my doubts. :smith:

This has got me wondering: What similarities are there between ISIS and the Taliban and Al Qaeda? Are any of which on speaking terms with each other (I know Al Qaeda isn't)?

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

McDowell posted:

That is the funny thing about post-modernity, you can be both post and anti-modern. Or you could say that a complete rejection of modernity is one outcome of a post-modern mindset, using the tools available regardless of dissonance.

Its not just the tools they use they, by being so gung-ho against "innovation" in their religion they have become on of the biggest "innovation" them selves.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
*edit: bugger how do I delete posts?*

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The US evacuated the Libyan embassy today amid rising militant violence.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Job Truniht posted:

This has got me wondering: What similarities are there between ISIS and the Taliban and Al Qaeda? Are any of which on speaking terms with each other (I know Al Qaeda isn't)?

I wouldn't think IS and the Taliban are on speaking terms at all. We know the split about leadership between ISIS and al-Qaeda occurred after ISIS tried to absorb al-Nusra. That pissed al-Qaeda proper off and Mullah Omar was always seen as the heir apparent to any officially sanctioned Caliphate that bin Laden wanted. Speaking of which, al-Qaeda just renewed allegiance to Omar.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Would it make any sense for any state to infiltrate IS given how open it is and probably lacks any good intelligence capability to detect spies? Or are their plans and assets pretty transparent that you wouldn't need to spy on them to get intel?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Concerning infiltraton of IS:

It is not quite as easy as one may think.

While basically anyone can become a rank and file ISIS dude, becoming a commander, or just a seargeant equivalent is a completely different story. If you came in from the "cold", you would have to do some pretty "intense" stuff to get enough brownie points to get there. Some stuff the Mudjahedeen demanded of Soviet infiltrators made pretty drat "tough" GRU agents flinch. IS is even worse.
Even if you are there, there is a big problem with relaying that information back to your superiors. To this, you have to add Arab cultural mores concerning information sharing.

The basic thing is, if they suspect an infiltrator, they have a couple of very legitimate ways to get him killed and not loose anything in exchange. In addition, there are the common issues with agents going native etc.

What would be the most "usefull part" to infiltrate are the areas of IS that communicate with supporters/temporary allies outside of IS. Like, the links with the Baath faction in Iraq. These are people that have sources, than have enough C&C capacities to communicate their findings, and that arent very expendable. Russia very likely has such sources, although these are more on the other side (Baath side in this case, easier to infiltrate, and if caught, the Russians could likely extract their spies with a ransom) of such contacts.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Would it make any sense for any state to infiltrate IS given how open it is and probably lacks any good intelligence capability to detect spies? Or are their plans and assets pretty transparent that you wouldn't need to spy on them to get intel?

At least with Iraq, I think the situation is more likely to be reversed. Lots of rumors of ISIS sympathizers or even members in mid and upper echelons of the ISF.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kustomkarkommando posted:

This propaganda video was posted a while back in thread, its an hour of them randomly executing civilians and giving speeches:

:nws:http://tune.pk/video/4157108/isis-documentary-isis-only-targets-soldiers-not-civilians:nws:

It got taken down from youtube, that's the only mirror I could find

Someone's been watching way too much Menace II Society and Boyz n the Hood.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

S.T.C.A. posted:

They taped it because it's good PR. It appeals to hotheaded Iraqi kids who don't like the government, which is good for ISIS, and it scares people who aren't hotheaded Sunni Islamists, which is also good for ISIS, at least in the short term.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
we should probably just put the ba'athists back in power. they did a ok job and its not like they can run the country further in the ground.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

goatse.cx posted:

we should probably just put the ba'athists back in power. they did a ok job and its not like they can run the country further in the ground.

Anything but Maliki would be better at this point.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Xoidanor posted:

Anything but Maliki would be better at this point.

Baghdadi?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I don't want to cause a debate or insult anyone but a few months ago, when Obama was considering an intervention against Assad, I and other posters told you that "the others" were far worse.

Assad as bad as he is, is considered in continental Europe as the only stable and not crazy-rear end motherfucker in the area, along with Iran. Putin is right when he says that the american foreign policy of the last 20 years has been run by incompetent idiots.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cippalippus posted:

I don't want to cause a debate or insult anyone but a few months ago, when Obama was considering an intervention against Assad, I and other posters told you that "the others" were far worse.

Assad as bad as he is, is considered in continental Europe as the only stable and not crazy-rear end motherfucker in the area, along with Iran. Putin is right when he says that the american foreign policy of the last 20 years has been run by incompetent idiots.

Yeah, because Assad isn't the one who started this whole mess, right? It was Assad protecting the country from ISIS from day one by shooting peaceful protesters.

Are you saying the legitimate Syrian opposition is crazy or has been crazy from the start?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 27, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cippalippus posted:

I don't mean to say I told you so, but my theory lead to the Islamic State taking over half of Iraq and a big chunk of Syria. Checkmate interventionists.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah, because Assad isn't the one who started this whole mess, right? It was Assad protecting the country from ISIS from day one by shooting peaceful protesters.

Are you saying the legitimate Syrian opposition is crazy or has been crazy from the start?

I am saying that americans are idiots and when it comes to foreign policy even a guy like Putin is better than them.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cippalippus posted:

To be clear were you in favour or opposed to intervention by Obama?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I was against it. Each and every american involvement in the middle east after the second world war has had long-lasting negative effects. In this specific case, Obama was going to bomb the only good guy in the area.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was right, see guys, told you so!

Assad isn't that bad!

Putin rules! America drools!

I think that's a BINGO for me.

Cippalippus posted:

In this specific case, Obama was going to bomb the only good guy in the area.

Please, please, please do a few hours of research and realize how utterly ridiculous and insulting this is.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cippalippus posted:

I was against it. Each and every american involvement in the middle east after the second world war has had long-lasting negative effects. In this specific case, Obama was going to bomb the only good guy in the area.

So if Assad were to have stepped down in the face of large protests instead of bombing and killing said protests do you think ISIS would be even stronger?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

It's funny until you realize that american interventions in the Middle East have only worsened the situation, and then you come to realize that Bush and Obama's only difference with Assad doesn't lie in their ability or will to do good deeds for the world, but simply in how they seized power.

As for Putin, you'd really be crazy to think he has caused less problems to the world than the last 13 years of american foreign policy.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

So if Assad were to have stepped down in the face of large protests instead of bombing and killing said protests do you think ISIS would be even stronger?

Assad stepping down has never been a serious option.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Calling Assad a good guy is ridiculous, but is he the lesser of two evils? How was Syria before their civil war started, I thought it was one of the better places in the Middle East?

The only good guys are certain parts of the Syrian opposition that are both weaker than ISIS or Assad. It will probably end very badly. :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mightypeon posted:

Concerning infiltraton of IS:

It is not quite as easy as one may think.

While basically anyone can become a rank and file ISIS dude, becoming a commander, or just a seargeant equivalent is a completely different story. If you came in from the "cold", you would have to do some pretty "intense" stuff to get enough brownie points to get there. Some stuff the Mudjahedeen demanded of Soviet infiltrators made pretty drat "tough" GRU agents flinch.

This. We're talking participating in rape, mutilation and probably even worse poo poo. It's not that there's not HUMINT agents willing to do it, it's that it's really hard faking being a nihilistic torture-executioner till you make it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cippalippus posted:

Funny that the "only good guy in the region" would rather bomb protesters than relinquish his dictatorial powers.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Please, please, please do a few hours of research and realize how utterly ridiculous and insulting this is.

Just because you don't agree it doesn't mean that it's true. I've been in Syria a number of times in the 90s, and the only reason why minorities weren't busy in the area's favorite hobbies (mass torture and murder) was the Syrian regime. Democracy simply isn't the best solution to every problem, and while Assad's Syria definitively needed modernization and better democratic participation of its people, throwing him out with a revolution was a bad idea from the first minute.

Now, wether you like it or not, he is effectively the good guy in the area.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cippalippus posted:

That isn't a response though. Assad created the civil war with his extremely brutal response to the protests and the civil war undeniably empowered ISIS given at that point they were a small faction in Iraq.

If Assad is a necessary and good guy then you really need to prove how a Syria without Assad would be in an even worse state now. Syria pulled out of Lebanon in the face of protests that had US backing and that multi-ethnic region, while certainly not in amazing shape, is far from an ISIS hell hole.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That makes little sense. While things were -stable-, the regime still carried out the murder, kidnapping and torture. What we're seeing in Syria would happen anyway, just instead of now, it would happen when an Assad died without having an heir palatable to the rest of the junta. It is not inherently worse or better that the destabilization happens now.

What IS bad is that the international community just funnels money and arms into the hands of psychos even worse than Assad, and that we can do something about.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If Assad is a necessary and good guy then you really need to prove how a Syria without Assad would be in an even worse state now.

This is a probatio diabolica at best and a futile waste of time at worst. You can't seriously make "what if" scenarios that aren't strictly fiction.

Tias posted:

That makes little sense. While things were -stable-, the regime still carried out the murder, kidnapping and torture. What we're seeing in Syria would happen anyway, just instead of now, it would happen when an Assad died without having an heir palatable to the rest of the junta. It is not inherently worse or better that the destabilization happens now.

What IS bad is that the international community just funnels money and arms into the hands of psychos even worse than Assad, and that we can do something about.

Do not overestimate Assad's crimes. His main crime, if we want to talk about it, is inheriting a brutal state and not doing enough to change it, but Syria as a whole was improving under his helm. Enough? Certainly not. But now there aren't other options on the table. Realistic options, I mean.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 27, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Suffice to say I disagree. Improvements in economy and infrastructure mean precisely gently caress-all if you can't say what you want without being disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

Do not overestimate Assad's crimes. His main crime, if we want to talk about it, is inheriting a brutal state and not doing enough to change it, but Syria as a whole was improving under his helm. Enough? Certainly not. But now there aren't other options on the table. Realistic options, I mean.

If only those pesky protestors didn't leap in front of those bullets! :argh:

• Locked thread