Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I have a tough decision to make.

I've got a $25 gift card for Gamestop. I can afford to get Wolfenstein TNO for Xbox 360 and be playing it right away, or I can get it for PS4 and be unable to play it for the foreseeable future since I don't have a PS4 and can't afford one right now.

What do I do? :ohdear:
If it's going to look amazingly better on PS4 I'd kinda want to wait I guess, but if it's only marginal then I can deal with "inferior" quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a $25 gift card for Gamestop. I can afford to get Wolfenstein TNO for Xbox 360 and be playing it right away, or I can get it for PS4 and be unable to play it for the foreseeable future since I don't have a PS4 and can't afford one right now.

If it's going to look amazingly better on PS4 I'd kinda want to wait I guess, but if it's only marginal then I can deal with "inferior" quality.

Well if you get it for PS4, its not going to have any quality considering that you can't play it. Just get it for PS3. It will probably be super cheap by the time you get a PS4 anyways.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Stealthed Zombie posted:

How's the length? I'm guessing standard 5-7 hour FPS or whatever most FPS's are these days?

Pre-ordered this on a whim yesterday when I saw I could get $10 Amazon Credit, and also it looks ridiculous.

At least ten hours, I'd say. 12-15 sounds like a good number for most people.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Xenomrph posted:

I think it would make most sense to put the money aside for a PS4 and play it in a month or two, but if that's not an option then just get a 360/PS3 copy.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Roman posted:

You killed Hitler (mecha-Hitler) in the first game. According to RTCW, Himmler took over.

Seems if BJ hadn't killed Hitler, the war would actually have ended sooner with Hitler shooting himself in the bunker instead. Nazi domination is all BJ's fault!

No, at the end of RTCW it cuts to himmler watching the boss fight. Himmlers aide informs him that his plane is ready, and that the Fuhrer is waiting. (This is definately right, I just beat RTCW about 5 minutes ago!)

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Please don't suck.

does anyone know where you can buy a digital copy of wolf 2009? Steam doesn't seem to sell it anymore.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any differences between the difficulties such as AI, etc, or is it a strict health/damage thing?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ShineDog posted:

No, at the end of RTCW it cuts to himmler watching the boss fight. Himmlers aide informs him that his plane is ready, and that the Fuhrer is waiting. (This is definately right, I just beat RTCW about 5 minutes ago!)

The continuity is a clusterfuck. The retcon video that Activision released alongside Wolf09 changes a lot of details of the previous games, but does at least include them in the timeline, at least in part. Hitler may or may not exist in this universe at this point, and nobody seems to be willing to confirm one way or another.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't even understand why there's any attempt at cross-game continuity at all. It's fun, brainless summer action game about killing nazis in the most glorious and violent ways possible. Every Wolfenstein game should end in the culmination of killing all of 1940s Germany's finest. Killing Hitler and every one of his major associates should happen at least once per game.

They should all exist in completely separate, parallel universes with their own timelines, the only similarities being that there are nazis and BJ Blazkowiczes in all of them.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 19, 2014

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I got the chance to play the Xbox 360 version today and it looks and runs fine but everything is incredibly muddy, the textures during the hub area are incredibly low res.

Get it for the 360, finish it then get it for the PS4 later on. It will probably be u$20-30 by then.

Edit: Here's some screenshots I took from my playthrough of the Xbox 360 version.

quote:

The continuity is a clusterfuck. The retcon video that Activision released alongside Wolf09 changes a lot of details of the previous games, but does at least include them in the timeline, at least in part. Hitler may or may not exist in this universe at this point, and nobody seems to be willing to confirm one way or another.

The current continuity is RTCW->Wolf09->TNO. Hitler is namedropped a few times in this game so he might be alive.

GUI fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 19, 2014

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I got 3 Steam keys from my GMG pre-order:

(1)Wolfenstein: New Order
(2)Return to Castle Wolfenstein
(3)A key that did not work

Does anyone know what this third, non-working, key is supposed to be?
Keep it handy for whenever we know something about a DOOM beta key redeeming event.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
We put up our soundtrack on spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/1plNiBcLcLXdC2wec2t2rX

Also we got these delivered to us today at work.

...just too bad I don't have an LP record player.

PAnick fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 19, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

I don't even understand why there's any attempt at cross-game continuity at all. It's fun, brainless summer action game about killing nazis in the most glorious and violent ways possible. Every Wolfenstein game should end in the culmination of killing all of 1940s Germany's finest. Killing Hitler and every one of his major associates should happen at least once per game.

They should all exist in completely separate, parallel universes with their own timelines, the only similarities being that there are nazis and BJ Blazkowiczes in all of them.

Crisis of Infinite Blazkowiczes is the next game. Where the Nazis try to cheat by pooling other universes Third Reichs together so that they can control the entire Wolfenstein continuity and the final boss fight is against the one thing that would be truly terrifying for any player, a Nazi Blazkowicz.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there any VPN fuckery I can do to play this early on steam?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Whoo! Unlocked in my region!

Now I sit and wait for over half an hour while my hard-drive and CPU have a seizure decompressing/decrypting almost 50gb of game. Probably the most CPU intensive game I own, and I haven't even played it yet.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

keyframe posted:

Is there any VPN fuckery I can do to play this early on steam?

Probably, I'm in the UK and my game is unlocking right now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, if by some chance yours is done downloading you can go for UK or whatever via VPN. Mine isn't even going to be downloaded until midnight, so why waste the effort?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bah, only getting a fraction of my usual download speed. No midnight nazi murder tonight. :smith:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Crabtree posted:

Crisis of Infinite Blazkowiczes is the next game. Where the Nazis try to cheat by pooling other universes Third Reichs together so that they can control the entire Wolfenstein continuity and the final boss fight is against the one thing that would be truly terrifying for any player, a Nazi Blazkowicz.

But by evil alternate universe law, wouldn't that make Mecha Hitler the good guy who teams up with you?

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Dominic White posted:

Not even the question about development time/team size? I know the AAA games biz can be secretive, but surely not THAT secretive.
Sorry for late reply.
Actually Bethesda policy states that I'm not allowed to say anything about team size, so yeah it's that secretive. :D

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

feraltennisprodigy posted:

At least ten hours, I'd say. 12-15 sounds like a good number for most people.

Is that both paths or just the one?

Are the paths different enough storywise to justify 2 playthroughs?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Quick trip report: Not sure if it's because I got an i5-3550 and not the recommended i7, or because I have an AMD card (Which the idtech 5 engine had some problems with in RAGE), but the performance is not that good. Maybe 20-30FPS, even on low settings at 720p, and very noticeable texture pop-in everywhere. Disappointed.

(Full specs: i5-3550, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7870 with 3 GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TaurusTorus posted:

But by evil alternate universe law, wouldn't that make Mecha Hitler the good guy who teams up with you?

Nah, you can just have Hitler be a man that never bothered with art school and when into practical art, Mechanical Engineering! He has a full beard and you can buy upgrades from him, but you'll never really hear his full name so Bethesda can pretend they're not confirming or denying he's there. He's just "Mechanic" in the magical dimension traveling Duckula Wolfenstein Castle.:ssh:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

GreatGreen posted:

I never thought about it but now that I've read this post I realize it's true.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Remember, this is iD tech, so it's OpenGL, so AMD is going to run it like crap/crash until they can hack together working drivers. Nvidia owners should have far less issues.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Remember, this is iD tech, so it's OpenGL, so AMD is going to run it like crap/crash until they can hack together working drivers. Nvidia owners should have far less issues.

Wunderbar.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Here's a review, breaking the embargo, albeit the reviewer bought the game.
http://www.spawnfirst.com/reviews/wolfenstein-new-order-review/

They gave it a 8/10 There are story spoilers in the review though if you're wary of that. The reviewer liked the stealth gameplay to boot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Second update: The performance became much better once you're out of the initial ten-minute airplane section. No idea why they didn't optimize the heck out of your first encounter with the game.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Progress report: you can still eat dog food, GOTY

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PAnick posted:

Also we got these delivered to us today at work.

...just too bad I don't have an LP record player.

:drat: Any way for the plebes to get those? :ohdear:

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
So, the Wolfenstein 2009 didn't exist, right?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kresher posted:

So, the Wolfenstein 2009 didn't exist, right?

This is a direct sequel. Caroline Becker is alive but in a wheelchair, and Deathshead is scarred (but happy) after you blew up his zeppelin.

Okay, first thoughts on the game. Started on Hard mode (5 settings - Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard):

Gonna be using a gamepad for this one, because the analogue cover system is sweeeeeeet. Hold LB to make the movement stick change posture. Everything from laying nearly prone to stretching high, and leaning at different angles.

Looks really pretty. This mid-range PC (i5-3570k, 660ti, 8gb RAM, old HDD) is handling it fine at Ultra detail, although not quite hitting 60fps solid. I could drop an option or two down and sacrifice very little prettiness though.

Health bar is segmented, at least on this difficulty. You heal up to the nearest 20%, but that means you can still get caught down at 20hp. You can overheal past 100, but it drains down at a slightly slower rate than you regen up.

Hard mode is pretty tough! I've died a few times already. Underestimate grunts at your peril. They tend to chew through me pretty quick.

There's a couple of alternate routes in the first level alone.

BJ is a poetic sadsack.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rookersh posted:

Is that both paths or just the one?

Are the paths different enough storywise to justify 2 playthroughs?
If you get to kill Nazis, that alone is enough to justify a second playthrough. :colbert:

Crabtree posted:

I have a book where this basically happens, except it's all-out war between every timeline where the Nazis won WWII vs every timeline where the Roman Empire never fell.

You know, the two most common alt-history cliches. :v:

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Dominic White posted:

This is a direct sequel. Caroline Becker is alive but in a wheelchair, and Deathshead is scarred (but happy) after you blew up his zeppelin.

I couldn't stand the game back when it was released, so I don't recall any of the characters you just mentioned.

I will just pretend that 2009 never happened.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
If this game is well received, Machine Games should have a shot at fixing the new DOOM's troubled development. They can finally tie in the DOOM marine as a Blazkowitz by making the cyberdemon from the Wolfenstien RPG a monster that fucks with each generation of the Blazkowitz family as a plot point for all I care.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I am very excited for this game. I have probably put well over 365+ days of my life into playing just Quake and Doom. I have played a lot of Wolfenstein as much but it isn't my go to FPS. I could go into a rant about how all newer story based first person shooters are bad but it is way beyond that at this point. I just hope this is a good loving run around and kill everything game that I've been waiting a very long time for (I didn't much care for the new shadow warrior or ROTT).

The initial trailer looked so good and made it appear that the story is going to be pretty half decent. The gameplay looks phenomenal and I can't wait to try this on my computer I just built a few months ago. The only part that sucks is that it isn't out yet and I got to wait to play it some more. Good to see it is getting good reviews.

Very excited for Doom as well but well the movie and Doom 3 happened since so I have a hard time believing they can go back to doing what made the original so great. It isn't hard really guys. It is not that loving hard to make a good first person shooter and it is the most infuriating thing on the planet that no one can get it right.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Is this game out in any VPN-able regions? I've got my 40 gigs of preload ready but I'd like to be able to play some today before having to sleep.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ I unlocked connecting to UK on a VPN.

--

I just finished the intro and started the game proper. Game is legit amazing so far, loving every second of it.

Gotta say those are some of the best directed/acted cutscenes I have seen in a long while. Usually I would mash whatever key I can to skip the cutscenes in games but I find myself looking forward to the next cutscene in this game to see where the story will go.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 20, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mushball posted:

If this game is well received, Machine Games should have a shot at fixing the new DOOM's troubled development. They can finally tie in the DOOM marine as a Blazkowitz by making the cyberdemon from the Wolfenstien RPG a monster that fucks with each generation of the Blazkowitz family as a plot point for all I care.

Where would Commander Keen fit into this timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Scissorfighter posted:

Is this game out in any VPN-able regions? I've got my 40 gigs of preload ready but I'd like to be able to play some today before having to sleep.

UK should work.

• Locked thread