Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Should I start live-watching and live-posting or are the first 13 minutes absolutely plot critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its still weird that they have Gabriel Macht's dad on the show seeing as they have almost exactly the same voice.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Litt just Litt up himself, glorious stuff.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
That was literally some of the worst green screen I've ever seen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone should have sat the director of that episode down and explained that they can't have that shot because it looks like garbage.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Someone should have sat the director of that episode down and explained that they can't have that shot because it looks like garbage.

Yep. I still can't believe they used it:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

At least Jessica's wardrobe is still killer?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Haha, yeah that stuck out to me too. Is it really cheaper to do that than to find a random rooftop in New York that'll let you shoot there? Or are they filming in vancouver or something and that isn't practical? They have so many dang location shots at restaurants and different courtrooms, etc., that you'd think they could find a halfway decent roof.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I haven't watched the episode yet, but why is there rail tracks on a roof?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Or are they filming in vancouver or something and that isn't practical?

Bingo. They really should have just dropped the shot altogether.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Haha, yeah that stuck out to me too. Is it really cheaper to do that than to find a random rooftop in New York that'll let you shoot there? Or are they filming in vancouver or something and that isn't practical? They have so many dang location shots at restaurants and different courtrooms, etc., that you'd think they could find a halfway decent roof.

That kind of shot would have been really impractical to do actually on a rooftop. It's such an unnecessary shot too. We don't really need an establishing shot to show they're on the roof, we already know Jessica and Harvey go up on the roof for serious talks.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I remember shots of them talking at the roof at night and they didn't look bad at all, to my recollection. Bad form suits, bad form!

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

blunt posted:

Bingo. They really should have just dropped the shot altogether.

They actually shoot in Toronto, but still... The shot was unnecessary.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

xzoto1 posted:

Amazingly bad, someone must have been drunk on the job while greenlighting this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

Amazingly bad, someone must have been drunk on the job while greenlighting this.

It could be worse, the CGI shot of somebody rowing away from shore on Turn was amazingly bad. Too bad the show isn't more poprular because it would be easier to display what I'm talking about.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I haven't watched the episode yet, but why is there rail tracks on a roof?

My guess would be for the window washers' apparatus.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

xzoto1 posted:

lol This looks like Babylon 5

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Harvey looked like he was redhead in that scene, I'm assuming because of the tweaking they had to do to get the green-screening right.

Or wrong, in this case.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

USA has always had lovely greenscreening but goddamn, how hard is it to just think of another place to have that meeting.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Schiavona posted:

USA has always had lovely greenscreening but goddamn, how hard is it to just think of another place to have that meeting.

Should've just had it in a restaurant like every other meeting.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What I found funny is how the hell Jessica walked there in heels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New episode tonight: "Fork in the Road" aka another flashback episode!
Harvey and Louis travel to see a client to whom they have deep ties and Harvey takes advantage of the issue to force Louis and Mike to confront their trust issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the pop culture references.

Also past Donna's hair, yowza.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So it looks like it's back to the status quo: everyone's friends again (until they're not), Louis does exactly everything that Harvey wants as long as he can have his crumbs (what was even the point of making him name partner?), and Mike's future at the firm is safe (until someone else inevitably doesn't remember him from Harvard).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That is definitely Suits' biggest flaw. They love their status quo.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
This episode clearly built the foundation for the coming Specter/Litt v Pearson fight. Important scenes were Rachel/Jessica at the end, establishing that Rachel will be at least partially loyal to Jessica, Harvey/Jessica establishing that Harvey places honor over the good for the firm, Luis/Harvey in the restaurant, hinting at the idea of them working together to get something from Jessica (and Hartman).

With respect to status quo: They can't resolve the Mike situation because he is a main character (arguably THE main character) of the show and his situation is unsolvable without him exiting the firm/show.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I personally felt like the episode established that Louis is an intrinsically untrustworthy person, who might seem like he's looking out for you but is actually just looking out for himself.

Which is actually something we already knew, but now we know it was also true whatever-many years ago that flashback took place.

Also, my money is on Robert Zane being this latter half's villain, which is why they bring up the point of Rachel being his daughter and Jessica "totally not hiring you because of your dad".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

muscles like this? posted:

That is definitely Suits' biggest flaw. They love their status quo.

Isn't that pretty much the case for every show on USA?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

With respect to status quo: They can't resolve the Mike situation because he is a main character (arguably THE main character) of the show and his situation is unsolvable without him exiting the firm/show.

They already did with the hacker girl and then they staunchly ignored it. It's 2015 and he's registered as legit in the database, if it weren't for plot contrivance no one would ever know.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hardman is still :smugbert:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I personally felt like the episode established that Louis is an intrinsically untrustworthy person, who might seem like he's looking out for you but is actually just looking out for himself.

Which is actually something we already knew, but now we know it was also true whatever-many years ago that flashback took place.

Also, my money is on Robert Zane being this latter half's villain, which is why they bring up the point of Rachel being his daughter and Jessica "totally not hiring you because of your dad".

As if Louis didn't do what Harvey would've done if the tables were flipped. Fair and square my rear end. Louis wanted to team up and Harvey was the first one to jump ship and then after he stabs Louis in the back he's like "yo bro I'll make you partner once I'm partner ok!" Too bad he didn't have that conversation a week before.

Anyway I agree that this is all leading to Jessica's downfall.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 14, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Xoidanor posted:

They already did with the hacker girl and then they staunchly ignored it. It's 2015 and he's registered as legit in the database, if it weren't for plot contrivance no one would ever know.

He was added to the Harvard law school database, but has neither a high-school diploma nor a college degree, both would be required before he even can start in Harvard. Additionally no one in Harvard knows him nor does he know them, which is a problem if you work for the firm "that only recruits from Harvard" and seems to be one of the more high profile NY law firms.

They Harvey pointed out to him last season that he could move somewhere else and no one would ever find out about his secret but in the "high stakes" world of Spector, Pearson, Litt he is always in danger to get exposed.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

There are only 3 episodes left in the season. My guess is that they will have a rather minor threat to the firm coming up to solidify the new Troika at the head of the firm.

Preview spoiler

I could see Harvey and Louis being far more attached to Donna as a person than Jessica, leading to a rift in the firm that will be explored in the next season. Zane could act as Jessica's ally (some kind of merger again) in the fight.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You need a college degree to get into Harvard? How did the creator of Facebook do it? I want to say he was in his early twenties at Harvard. So not enough time to have a degree from elsewhere?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

You need a college degree to get into Harvard? How did the creator of Facebook do it? I want to say he was in his early twenties at Harvard. So not enough time to have a degree from elsewhere?

The Juris Doctor is a graduate degree.

As for the people that think Jessica is going out, do you really think Mr. Loyalty Specter is going to backstab her?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

He attended Harvard College not Harvard Law School, big difference. The one is a college the other a law school (graduate program) for which you need a college degree.

Edit: beaten

Ernie. posted:

As for the people that think Jessica is going out, do you really think Mr. Loyalty Specter is going to backstab her?

They are investing a lot of scenes into the "rift" between Jessica and Harvey. If Harvey gets to the point where he has to decide between Jessica and Donna (or Mike) he would backstab Jessica in a heartbeat.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 14, 2015

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Haven't seen the latest episode but I'm guessing Jeff Malone will erupt and put the nail in Jessica's coffin after he figures out how deceptive she's been to him.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

They are investing a lot of scenes into the "rift" between Jessica and Harvey. If Harvey gets to the point where he has to decide between Jessica and Donna (or Mike) he would backstab Jessica in a heartbeat.

What scenes are those? The one where Donna, 6 years ago, tells her she doesn't have Harvey's back? Well that's because earlier in the episode Jessica was badgering Hardman about their financial report. I thought the whole point of that sequence between Jessica and Donna is that we understand how patient Jessica was.

Also, this latest episode started with Jessica telling Harvey to make it up with Louis, which he did. If the producers wanted to introduce a rift there, he could have argued it for the first 10 minutes of the episode or something.

edit: I've proven oblivious before to things shows try to hammer home, so I'm open to being wrong, but it just feels like I might be right this time?

Peta posted:

Haven't seen the latest episode but I'm guessing Jeff Malone will erupt and put the nail in Jessica's coffin after he figures out how deceptive she's been to him.

This is likely, but I still don't see a way for Harvey, as he is characterized right now, to actually let Jessica take the fall. Christ, we had a whole episode about him defending his chauffeur.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 14, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

The Juris Doctor is a graduate degree.

Yes, after she throws him under the bus first.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Ernie. posted:

This is likely, but I still don't see a way for Harvey, as he is characterized right now, to actually let Jessica take the fall. Christ, we had a whole episode about him defending his chauffeur.

I think it's possible given the right circumstances that he could see her as a selfish/megalomaniacal detriment to the firm; in this case loyalty to the firm trumps loyalty to Jessica because plot.

DBZFIGHTERS
May 23, 2008
Did I miss something about Katrina? Why did she need Rachel's help to get a new job when Lois could have hired her back as named partner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jessica said he couldn't have Katrina back.

• Locked thread