Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I like the big dumb things too much to eat them.

Me too normally but he was Gill hooked.

It looks like their blood clots when they're in the water but a gill has to be a death sentence, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Coat the squid bits in batter, bread crumbs or marinate as appropriate and grill, BBQ or fry at a high temp for just a minute each side, or stuff the hoods or put chunks in a stew or soup or whatever and cook low and slow until it's tender. It can be a good idea to soak larger squid in milk or something overnight to help tenderise them.

Trout are pretty tasty as far as freshwater fish go, especially if they have been eating a lot of minnows. Stream trout that eat a lot of insects haven't tasted as nice in my experience. There's a bunch of different ways of cooking them but smoking them is pretty amazing. If you have redfin perch/English perch around they are very nice too.

I am a few hours too far south for native trout, but they do stock a lot around here. I do fish for them but usually throw them back or give them to whomever is around. This year I am gonna skip fishing for the trout and instead focus on fishing for the bass who are hopefully eating the trout. I got this dumb thing;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5fiY0l-io
And plan on hitting the stocking areas the morning after and try to get some fat girls to bite.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Me too normally but he was Gill hooked.

It looks like their blood clots when they're in the water but a gill has to be a death sentence, right?

The internet is of a mixed mind about that, but bass apparently have a really small amount of blood in them and can't deal with losing much. There are like bass-medicines you can use to save them but they all seem to require a live well to hold the bass in while it works. English carp guys seem to be the most conservation-obsessed and you can buy like a disinfectant to put on the hook-wound and like a slip-n-slide device to gently slip your fat fish back into the canal in comfort.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I ate a 2lb bass and it was pretty good, man. It was very clean and light.

Every time I go bass fishing it's typically from the shore so I never bring a cooler with me so I don't have anywhere to store the fish. Plus, my backpack + 2 rods is typically enough to hike around with for me.

I want to eat some bass pretty bad though, I've never tried it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Trout are pretty tasty as far as freshwater fish go, especially if they have been eating a lot of minnows. Stream trout that eat a lot of insects haven't tasted as nice in my experience. There's a bunch of different ways of cooking them but smoking them is pretty amazing. If you have redfin perch/English perch around they are very nice too.

Yeah I love trout, soooo good. The smoked trout at Trader Joe's is actually delicious, albeit expensive. As for stream trout, the stocked rainbows that I catch up in the Sierras are pretty delicious. Coat em in dixie fry or whatever and get some crunch on them babies.

bongwizzard posted:

I am a few hours too far south for native trout, but they do stock a lot around here. I do fish for them but usually throw them back or give them to whomever is around. This year I am gonna skip fishing for the trout and instead focus on fishing for the bass who are hopefully eating the trout. I got this dumb thing;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5fiY0l-io
And plan on hitting the stocking areas the morning after and try to get some fat girls to bite.

The Tactical Bassin' guys are huge on big swim baits, if you haven't watched their stuff on YouTube I highly recommend it.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 1, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

The Tactical Bassin' guys are huge on big swim baits, if you haven't watched their stuff on YouTube I highly recommend it.

Yea, they are great. Like 99% of fishing youtube crap is, well, crap. It is nice to find good info and good production values.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I never know how big to go for artificials, especially since I'm mostly fishing shallow canals or golf course ponds, not deep lakes.

I usually fish worms or seniors,but I recently picked up some KVD 1.5 crankbaits with a Bass Pro gift certificate. These things are great, especially the shad and bluegill patterns. If you get one, do plan on replacing the hooks though. I had a snakehead snap one of the hooks in half. I may try one of the larger sizes next.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Any of you guys have some favorite YouTube fishermen? I tend to enjoy a YouTube fishing channel until the Googan Squad shows up, as they always tend to do.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I like Gene Jensen a lot.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I like 'extreme Philly fishing' , but only because he's right in my area and we fish a lot of the same spots. If this was not the case I'm pretty sure I'd find him unbearable

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I got skunked surf fishing on Saturday, but it was nice to get out in the waves. I need to get better at reading the water; I don't think I'm finding the troughs between the breakers where they like to hang out. I'm going razor clamming next weekend and my buddy and I are going to try again to get some red tails. This is quickly becoming obsession for me: they're delicious, the season is year round, and the limit is ten per day. The day I limit I will open some nice whiskey or something.

So to cleanse the bad taste of getting skunked on Saturday, on Sunday morning I went back to my pier at Green Lake and caught hella bass again. It was wet but not cold, and I caught so many small bass that I didn't bother recording most of them.

This smallmouth fought really hard. It was barely dawn so the pic sucks, but the fish was gorgeous.

This motherfucker. This motherfucker here. 11.5", 22oz. Washington has a cutoff where you're allowed 5 to keep bass per day, but only if under 12" except one of them (and only one) can be over 17". This one just barely counted, and I'm eating this motherfucker for dinner tonight.

I totally understand Bongwizzard's disinclination toward eating bass, but my lake is lousy with them and I fish to fill the freezer as much as I fish for sport. The little ones go back to get big, and the big ones come home with me. Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake? I've only done so by accident, but I'd love to make city trout a regular part of my diet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I got skunked surf fishing on Saturday, but it was nice to get out in the waves. I need to get better at reading the water; I don't think I'm finding the troughs between the breakers where they like to hang out. I'm going razor clamming next weekend and my buddy and I are going to try again to get some red tails. This is quickly becoming obsession for me: they're delicious, the season is year round, and the limit is ten per day. The day I limit I will open some nice whiskey or something.

So to cleanse the bad taste of getting skunked on Saturday, on Sunday morning I went back to my pier at Green Lake and caught hella bass again. It was wet but not cold, and I caught so many small bass that I didn't bother recording most of them.

This smallmouth fought really hard. It was barely dawn so the pic sucks, but the fish was gorgeous.

This motherfucker. This motherfucker here. 11.5", 22oz. Washington has a cutoff where you're allowed 5 to keep bass per day, but only if under 12" except one of them (and only one) can be over 17". This one just barely counted, and I'm eating this motherfucker for dinner tonight.

I totally understand Bongwizzard's disinclination toward eating bass, but my lake is lousy with them and I fish to fill the freezer as much as I fish for sport. The little ones go back to get big, and the big ones come home with me. Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake? I've only done so by accident, but I'd love to make city trout a regular part of my diet.

Hit me next time you go to the coast for surf perch. You should really be finding a squid spot. The action is pretty good right now.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake? I've only done so by accident, but I'd love to make city trout a regular part of my diet.

I think it depends on where the trout are cruising. When they're shallow, I know people slay them on the 1/32 mini jigs out here. Carolina rigs are popular, too.

All of my successful trout fishing has been fishing for stocked rainbows up in the mountains, I didn't even realize trout fishing was a thing in San Diego until the end of the last season.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake? I've only done so by accident, but I'd love to make city trout a regular part of my diet.

If using bait I use either worms, crickets, mudeyes or yabbies under a quill float. If using lures a pink tassie devil is the bees knees:

They're 13g so you can cast them a long way and cover a lot of ground
I know some people who target trophy trout and they use a black and gold Diawa double clutch 95

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The little ones go back to get big, and the big ones come home with me. Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake?

You actually want to throw the bigger ones back to spawn as they have the best success rates. If you wanna eat them like 12-15" is the sweet spot in terms of growing a fishery.

I have a ton of luck fishing for stocked trout with small inline spinners and 1/4oz lipless crankbaits. Most guys around here go after stockers with powerbait but I find that too dull and usually do well enough on lures to keep myself entertained. I swap out to single hooks on both as trout never seem to calm down and I got myself hooked to a rainbow once where we each ended up with three treble points in us. Blade bats should also work and offer a smaller profile than even a 1/4oz lipless.

I went out this morning and worked a pond for like 5 hours and only got a pair of small bass to show for it. I teamed up with another pond regular and together we ran through most every presentation out there and neither of us did well. It is maddening when I can't find a pattern. The pond was low and there was a ton of almost emergent grass beds, but even fishing them hard was a bust.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

You actually want to throw the bigger ones back to spawn as they have the best success rates. If you wanna eat them like 12-15" is the sweet spot in terms of growing a fishery.

Dang, exactly the size that WDFW won't let me take! Well poo poo, I want to be responsible and ethical while still eating my catch when possible. I'm going to send them an email and see what they suggest. Green Lake appears to be a healthy fishery but I don't want to do anything to gently caress that up. And that sucks about your slow day at the pond, man. Given your love of bass and your desire to surf fish, though, you should make it a point to catch a striper when you get the opportunity. You'll be able to feel good about eating it, too.

LingcodKilla posted:

Hit me next time you go to the coast for surf perch. You should really be finding a squid spot. The action is pretty good right now.

I got to talking with a dude on the pier Sunday morning and he said that the public pier at Edmonds is hot poo poo for squid from like 8-11pm, so I'm definitely going to check that out. I also notice that it's a short distance from the ferry to Harper Pier, so that's actually on my radar also.

And thanks for the trout recommendations, all. I've tried power bait and marshmallows and that kind of poo poo in the past, but I must not be doing it right. I have a two rod endorsement so I could have a passive rod fishing one way while I actively fish a lure with the other, but that always winds up being way more work than I think it will. What that probably means is that I'm a whiny bitch who needs to practice more.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dang, exactly the size that WDFW won't let me take! Well poo poo, I want to be responsible and ethical while still eating my catch when possible. I'm going to send them an email and see what they suggest.

If there is a management plan in place then just do what they say, most spots around me are managed to remove small/medium bass, your lake seems to be all about that trout;

If they are managing for trout then getting rid of bigger bass makes sense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

If there is a management plan in place then just do what they say, most spots around me are managed to remove small/medium bass, your lake seems to be all about that trout;

Something to do with the weather being better for trophy trout I'm sure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4598601/carponizer-2018-calendar-unveiled-showing-topless-women-proudly-posing-with-massive-fish/

Would be ideal if it wasnt goddamn carp. Gross.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

My first thought was, I'm so confused, why carp? They must be from the UK.

*scrolls down and sees the link to amazon.co.uk*

Okay that makes sense. More like, United Karpdom, am I right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

My first thought was, I'm so confused, why carp? They must be from the UK.

*scrolls down and sees the link to amazon.co.uk*

Okay that makes sense. More like, United Karpdom, am I right?

Brits are weird.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

If there is a management plan in place then just do what they say, most spots around me are managed to remove small/medium bass...

This reminds me of ol' Juanelo, he's always talkin about taking the little bass cause the biologists tell him to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RAQ2LYqe0

He makes some heinous looking food, lol.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

This reminds me of ol' Juanelo, he's always talkin about taking the little bass cause the biologists tell him to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RAQ2LYqe0

He makes some heinous looking food, lol.

Low-Carb Fish Cakes a New Way (with the usual horseplay)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Low-Carb Fish Cakes a New Way (with the usual horseplay)

Squidding sucked in Kitsap tonight. Caught 6 in 90 minutes. Just barely enough for 2nd dinner.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Poms are hosed in the head when it comes to carp

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I actually met an English carp fisherman at my dumb little neighborhood pond the other day. He had like three 9 foot long poles on a holder and the most complicated folding chair I've ever seen. We chatted for a little bit, he was a nice guy and spoke longingly about the Tidal Basin near the mall in Washington DC, which apparently is a world-class carp fishery.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Thank you for pointing this out! I've come around to your way of thinking about the bass, though. The bass tasted alright, but fighting it was more fun. The trout get stocked every spring, so unless the bass eat all of them I'm going to toss them back. There are supposed to be channel catfish in there also, so I'm going to try to get into that. Monster carp, too. You'll occasionally see eastern European or Asian dudes fishing for carp in there. You don't even need a license for it. They are supposed to be really fun to fight so I wouldn't mind catching one, but I'd never go full-English about it.

Speaking of carp, I buy a lot of tackle and lures from China through AliExpress and eBay, and virtually every item description has the word carp in it somewhere. Sometimes they misspell it as crap and that makes me smile.

Also the 7-Eleven near the north end of Green Lake sells fishing tackle, which amused me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Carp are great fun to catch, they go pretty hard. It's the culture of course fishing that is a bit weird. Forget all the expensive gear, accessories, hair rigs, boilies and disinfectant for their lips before you release them, I just use a basic 1-3kg trout rod rigged with what we call a blackfish float (any float will probably do however) and a size 10 hook. Worms or canned corn for bait, although bread works amazingly well if it's a pond where people feed the ducks, just try to make sure your bait is sitting deep enough to avoid the ducks or you'll catch them too. Scatter some creamed corn or breadcrumbs around to get the carp feeding and if they're around you should get onto a few.

On this setup a 50cm carp is an absolute blast to hook up, and in a suburban lake where people are throwing heaps of bread to the duck they'll get much much bigger than that.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Uh speaking of Carp I just saw a 2 to 2.5 foot Koi in my lake/pond/river thing. It was loving hilarious, I have no idea how that thing lasted so long. It hangs out at the top of the water and I followed it for around 10 minutes. You can see it from like 50 feet away, I lost it and refound it 3 times

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Uh speaking of Carp I just saw a 2 to 2.5 foot Koi in my lake/pond/river thing. It was loving hilarious, I have no idea how that thing lasted so long. It hangs out at the top of the water and I followed it for around 10 minutes. You can see it from like 50 feet away, I lost it and refound it 3 times

Was it like this?

People throw unwanted pet goldfish in lakes and ponds and they can grow enormous. They're horribly invasive and can out-compete with native fish pretty easily.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bow fishing is a thing. Just sayin'

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Man, around here I think an Osprey or a blue heron would get a goldfish almost instantly.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It wasn't a goldfish it was most def a Japanese Koi. I'm not exaggerating when I said I was following it for around 10 minutes. It was crazy as hell. I'm shocked it's alive because I see Hawks or falcons once a week and herons every few days.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/medias.photodeck.com/71889138-6817-436a-8711-b07cf884c08d/Koi_01-2_uxga.jpg

It had an orange face and fins, white body, black spots.

After I posted my first comment I went back out on the water and saw it again lol. I put my Carp setup in the water and then shamefully took it out because I realized that thing doesn't need to be hassled by me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of invasives, I got my first snakehead today!

Went on a little hike/fish outing today and walked by this nice little marsh and made a few casts with a Ned rig. At first I thought I had hooked a pickerel as I could feel it thrashing and spinning underwater, I was shocked as hell when I got him up. Like, sure, the marsh is next to one of the best snakehead rivers in the area, but it wasn't at all on my mind.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Speaking of invasives, I got my first snakehead today!

Went on a little hike/fish outing today and walked by this nice little marsh and made a few casts with a Ned rig. At first I thought I had hooked a pickerel as I could feel it thrashing and spinning underwater, I was shocked as hell when I got him up. Like, sure, the marsh is next to one of the best snakehead rivers in the area, but it wasn't at all on my mind.

What did you do with it?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah man, solid question up there. What'd you do with it? I've heard that they're delicious!

Is that the sprayed grass color? That poo poo looks so sexy, the purple and green sold me.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was trying to think of something to do on my birthday. I'm kinda weird because unless something is done on my ACTUAL birthday, it has no significance to me as a birthday celebration event. Maybe I'm not that weird, but my wife sure thinks so. Although, this is coming from a family who will celebrate a birthday 2 months after it happens and think nothing of it. Maybe I'm the normal one?

ANYWAY, I decided I wanted to go fishing on my birthday. I was going to go bass fishing or something, but then I realized that bass fishing kinda sucks in the winter (birthday is in December). THEN I realized that the winter is MFin' trout season! I think I'm going to rent a cabin for a night at a nearby but distant mountain type lake all by myself, eat some horrible man type dinner that will consist of nothing but sausage & bread, and then get up at 5 AM to go trout fishing the entire next day. I'm pretty excited. I don't know why I'm giving this very Cool Story Bro here on this forum, but dammit, if someone will appreciate the idea they will probably be a reader of this thread.

Long story short, I'll probably stop drinking now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

I was trying to think of something to do on my birthday. I'm kinda weird because unless something is done on my ACTUAL birthday, it has no significance to me as a birthday celebration event. Maybe I'm not that weird, but my wife sure thinks so. Although, this is coming from a family who will celebrate a birthday 2 months after it happens and think nothing of it. Maybe I'm the normal one?

ANYWAY, I decided I wanted to go fishing on my birthday. I was going to go bass fishing or something, but then I realized that bass fishing kinda sucks in the winter (birthday is in December). THEN I realized that the winter is MFin' trout season! I think I'm going to rent a cabin for a night at a nearby but distant mountain type lake all by myself, eat some horrible man type dinner that will consist of nothing but sausage & bread, and then get up at 5 AM to go trout fishing the entire next day. I'm pretty excited. I don't know why I'm giving this very Cool Story Bro here on this forum, but dammit, if someone will appreciate the idea they will probably be a reader of this thread.

Long story short, I'll probably stop drinking now.

But that actually is a cool story?

I'm going to Hawaii for the third year in a row for work and I think this time I'm finally gonna go on a bottom fishing trip to catch some strange in November.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Which island? I've been to Kauai maybe 18 times, please say Kauai.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

LingcodKilla posted:

But that actually is a cool story?

I'm going to Hawaii for the third year in a row for work and I think this time I'm finally gonna go on a bottom fishing trip to catch some strange in November.

You're going to eat tropical fish? I wouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Yeah man, solid question up there. What'd you do with it? I've heard that they're delicious!

Is that the sprayed grass color? That poo poo looks so sexy, the purple and green sold me.

I was about 5 miles from my car at that point so I lovingly tossed him back into the marsh. Despite 10 years of doomsday predictions and poisoning ponds, my state's DNR has yet to produce a single report showing any actual damage caused by snakehead populations, so I don't feel particularly pressed to kill them.

I believe the lure color is "Green-Pumpkin-Goby".