Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The script works in a 80’s horror comedy adventure movie kind of way, it feels right, with some stuff feeling a bit out of place. The Predators motivation always kind of sucked from the get go, but I could let it go if the film was better.

I blame Fox more than Shane. It may have been too ambitious for him, but I feel like if he was left alone we would get a movie that may not have totally worked but was something at least.

I love Predators because it knows what it is despite it’s flaws. It is what it is. Not what some studio wanted it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Fart City posted:

The weird thing is that the script was dicey as gently caress, but you could still see how it could have resulted in a decent movie through production. The total lack of confidence just kills it. It doesn't commit to anything, and as a result just falls apart. If it had just gone full tilt boogie weird with predator monkeys and poo poo, it would have at least given it a sense of identity. The thing that sucks is that Predator is like, pretty close to a perfect movie. Predator 2 is super oddball but like a warm blanket to watch. Everything afterwards has just kind of meandered. Lean into the weirdness!

I'm really skeptical that it could ever have been a nice "Predator" movie. Those sketches and the Predadogs work well enough in some kind of Species or Life kind of way where some unknown organism starts to go amok and only a band of misfit PTSD/psych hold soldiers can stop it. The autistic son on the run from some government shadow man is just Mercury Rising or The Client and that's all bad in all ways. The bad Alien vs worse Alien is just AvP without the contrast. And the comedy element is is a buddy cop movie with a scifi edge. I think there's a slim chance that Shane might have made a pretty fun 80s nostalgic horror comedy but the moment he wanted it to be a Predator movie it was probably doomed.

Like Sodomy Hussein said...

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's very obviously about five unfinished scripts mashed together.

I think the part that sinks it from ever being a good "Predator" movie is the conceit that he's hunting the best of the best. In the first, it's roided out soldiers. Second, it's supercops from an late 80s-90s timeframe where cops were "cool" and were badass. Third is handpicked grabbag of badasses from many genres of film. This one, it's a psych ward and he's not even hunting them so it's completely lost the plot. The script can't even reconcile that which is why the "helpful" predator skins someone when he lands. Like they had the wrong script and had to dress it up with Predator tropes to justify the title.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I thought the first few minutes, where it seemed like this would basically be Predator + Narcos was an awesome concept for a Predator movie. Hot climate, hunting in an harsh environment, etc.

Should have kept it simple.

Violator
May 15, 2003

One of the weirdest things for me was how bland the movie looked. You’ve got Larry Fong (Kong Skull Island, BvS, Watchmen, 300, etc) shooting it and it comes out looking like a TV show filmed in Canada?

Reminds me of Seamus McGarvey and how visually boring the first Avengers was compared to his beautiful work in Godzilla.

Edit: It all looked so cheap. Like the Predator mask literally looked like light plastic and the kid duct taped it to his head. Not exactly the battle armor one would expect. And if it’s supposed to be some space age light weight material, there’s way of visually demonstrating that so it doesn’t look cheap.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finally got around to watching this, and... I enjoyed it up until the third act. It took a total nosedive from there IMO. I knew they reshot the third act beforehand, but I didn't think it was going to be so noticeable. Like, one minute they're in this rock canyon area with a crashed ship, then they're in a forest getting slaughtered one by one. It's not just the location change that was jarringly apparent, but the tone as well. Studio meddling was evident throughout the movie, too. I really wished Shane kept the "good predators" in the final cut. I would much rather have a bad directors vision than some butchered studio mess like the version we got. It's a shame, because there were some really good moments in here.

I'm also surprised how a lot of you seem to hate Predators (2010). It's easily the best one since the first, it had a solid tone, and the Predator designs in that one were SICK. The production values never felt cheap, and it had a great cast. Goggins and Fishburne were the obvious standouts, but Brody and the girl held up well IMO. Predators also had a twist I didn't see coming, which was the Topher Grace serial killer reveal. I suspected something at first, but that actor was really good at playing a nerdy dweeb so I just forgot about it.

My question is: why the gently caress did they make The Predator instead of a sequel to Predators? Critics and enough fans seemingly liked it, and the Predator planet opened up all kinds of interesting possibilities for sequels - what about a human resistance type thing? Or what about other different kinds of aliens who are being hunted as well? Or different geography on the planet? What a loving wasted opportunity.

Slutitution fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 3, 2018

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Slutitution posted:

I'm also surprised how a lot of you seem to hate Predators (2010). It's easily the best one since the first, it had a solid tone, and the Predator designs in that one were SICK. The production values never felt cheap, and it had a great cast. Goggins and Fishburne were the obvious standouts, but Brody and the girl held up well IMO. Predators also had a twist I didn't see coming, which was the Topher Grace serial killer reveal. I suspected something at first, but that actor was really good at playing a nerdy dweeb so I just forgot about it.

I think people were more underwhelmed by Predators than just flat-out hate it. While watching it I caught myself thinking "this is pretty cool, somebody should actually make this" - I had literally forgotten for a second that I was watching a real movie and not some proof of concept or fan film or something.

One more thing to point out that I think people kind of beat around the bush with because on the surface it sounds pretty lame: I think people intuitively took the title 'Predators' as a declaration that they were trying to make the 'Aliens' of the Predator series, a tall order made only more challenging because that probably means something different depending on who you ask. Fair or not, I think not only was Predators standing in Predator's shadow, but Aliens' (Aliens's?) as well.

Slutitution posted:

My question is: why the gently caress did they make The Predator instead of a sequel to Predators? Critics and enough fans seemingly liked it, and the Predator planet opened up all kinds of interesting possibilities for sequels - what about a human resistance type thing? Or what about other different kinds of aliens who are being hunted as well? Or different geography on the planet? What a loving wasted opportunity.

I always got the odd impression that the studio never had much confidence in Predators and only gave it the minimum amount of support necessary for a wide release film. I don't know if that's true but from the online chatter at the time I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I wonder if the movie they actually got wasn't what they had in mind when they have the greenl light and then figured it wasn't worth the effort to retool it (obviously they didn't go this route for The Predator).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The studio gave full control to Robert Rodriguez who got the film made for a small budget. I think it was like 40 million or something. Fox just let him and his crew run with it and what happened happened. I don't think Fox even touched it too much.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Best part of Predators is when we're faked out into think Adrien Brody and Friends are being hunted by a REAL predator after being previously faked out by the wink-wink praying mantis creature.

The "Predator" pulls the mask off, there's some kind of musical sting, and it's just Fat Laurence Fishburne giving us a gap-toothed mug.

This motherfucker's been living in the engine of some downed interstellar ship, is hunted mercilessly by a bunch of Super-Preds on gear who all exhibit clear signs of roid-rage, and he's still got enough on him for two winters, AND he even managed to kill one and pilfer its mask.

These Predators SUCK.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killing a Predator is super easy. Just get it to get cocky enough to want to kill you really slowly, and then blow it up when it gets close. They're really arrogant assholes at the end of the day, and that always kills them in the end.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I wonder if Fat Laurence Fishburne gives off a larger heat bloom on infrared. He was wearing pred-armor, though...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Best part of Predators is when we're faked out into think Adrien Brody and Friends are being hunted by a REAL predator after being previously faked out by the wink-wink praying mantis creature.

The "Predator" pulls the mask off, there's some kind of musical sting, and it's just Fat Laurence Fishburne giving us a gap-toothed mug.

This motherfucker's been living in the engine of some downed interstellar ship, is hunted mercilessly by a bunch of Super-Preds on gear who all exhibit clear signs of roid-rage, and he's still got enough on him for two winters, AND he even managed to kill one and pilfer its mask.

These Predators SUCK.

I thought the big joke about Fishburne’s character was that he survived a ton of hunts but then the movie end with another hunt beginning so turns out Fishburne’s character actually only been there for like 2 weeks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For what it’s worth, they did a prequel comic establishing that he genuinely had been there for years and years.

Incidentally the comic adaptation heavily downplays the apparent insanity he shows in the movie, and plays his character straight.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought the big joke about Fishburne’s character was that he survived a ton of hunts but then the movie end with another hunt beginning so turns out Fishburne’s character actually only been there for like 2 weeks.

He said he was there for alot of seasons and it is revealed he got by scavenging. Hard to say if he killed groups of people before or not because its not told.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

For what it’s worth, they did a prequel comic establishing that he genuinely had been there for years and years.

Incidentally the comic adaptation heavily downplays the apparent insanity he shows in the movie, and plays his character straight.

In the script he wasn't insane. He was very collected. I believe that was all Fishburn,

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

He said he was there for alot of seasons and it is revealed he got by scavenging. Hard to say if he killed groups of people before or not because its not told.

He def killed people. That fire trap was already set up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We're forgetting the other Fishburne possibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I thought Fishburne said "two or three cycles" and not seasons which going by when the next hunt starts at the end means he was really only there for like a day and half. :laffo:

One weird change in Predators was originally the woman was from Bolivia but they made her an IDF soldier instead which gave us the :wtc: moment of an IDF soldier being the one to first figure out they're not on earth because she saw combat in every jungle on earth and didn't recognize this one.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 6, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Important information being conveyed: Don't take Predators too seriously.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The movie, and the creatures in general.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wasn't Fishburne's character meant to be Danny Glover from the second movie but they couldn't get him?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

Wasn't Fishburne's character meant to be Danny Glover from the second movie but they couldn't get him?

I believe so, although they confirmed that they couldn’t get Glover early enough in production that the prequel comic didn’t need to be altered.

Speaking of failed casting, Robert Joy’s character in AvPR was originally going to be Adam Baldwin’s character from ‘Predator 2’.

And it’s been confirmed that the original ending for ‘The Predator’ was going to have Dutch inside that pod at the end of the movie, which got changed into the Predator Killer iron man suit.
But not only was it going to be Dutch, he was going to be wearing breathing apparatus that looked.... familiar:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq5QUEUlO5g/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tsg3eukrwkia

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq3GJm3l0Jd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=c172hnocbsr2

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I have no idea what the angle is there :iiam:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Me neither but that would've so much better than a knockoff Iron Man suit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I have no idea what the angle is there :iiam:

What do you mean? It’s just a facehugger-shaped mask as a wink to the AvP stuff.

That said, there already was an AvP shout out in ‘The Predator’ - Lex’s “Alien tail” spear is in one of the glass cases at the Stargazer facility.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can only imagine the lol that Arnie's script-reader had at that one.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean? It’s just a facehugger-shaped mask as a wink to the AvP stuff.

That said, there already was an AvP shout out in ‘The Predator’ - Lex’s “Alien tail” spear is in one of the glass cases at the Stargazer facility.

I mean like why would it be facehugger shaped? Why would Dutch be wearing it in a pod? Why would the predators make a face thing that mimics their most difficult hunt? I don't get what the angle for having that be a "wink & nod" given we have never seen anything like that?

I don't mind direct shout outs (like the tail in this, or the Xenomorph head in Predator 2), but I guess what I mean is I don't see how that doesn't just open all sorts of doors we know won't be answered that they surely didn't think very hard about.

vvvv THAT TOO IS THERE TIME TRAVEL NOW?! At the end of AvPR we get that mention that Yutani is still it's own company chasing the shadows of whatever Weyland and his company found in AvP1.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 6, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why would it have the W-Y symbol on it if it came from Predators lmao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Why would it have the W-Y symbol on it if it came from Predators lmao

Not only is that fine but it should have been one of the absolute fuckin ownage helmets from the end of Alien 3. Facehugger coming at me from the right? gently caress NO

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apparently in the original ending, it wasn’t a Predator pod with Dutch in it, it was some sort of human-made thing. The WY logo was a Fox mandate, according to ADI, the people who built the prop.
Arnold turned down the role because it was only a cameo and he wanted a starring role.

Edit- this news blurb has more about the facehugger mask:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2018/12/03/behind-the-scenes-images-of-a-face-hugger-inspired-breathing-mask-for-alternate-ending-of-the-predator/

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2018

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Don't take Predators too seriously.

Xenomrph posted:

and the creatures in general.
I now want...
The Eric Andre Show but Predators.

"Ladies and gentlemen! A queen alien! Queen alien."
screeching
"I no longer am a fan of this bit."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Middle of the interview Hannibal ha as chest burster pop out of him

We’ll be right back

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The chestbuster puts on a straw boater and says: "Who killed Hannibal?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The chestbuster puts on a straw boater and says: "Why would Ripley do this?"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N58PkPAQzA

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

I'm glad they scrapped the Weyland stuff. It's just too explicit of a shout-out in my opinion. The Weyland Corporation is the secondary antagonist of the Alien series; it would have been too much. Plus, if they did go through with it, the internet would explode with people asking if the AVP films are still "canon" along with constant questions about a xenomorph appearing in a future Predator film.

The Alien tail spear from AVP was much a much more classier and subtle wink to those films.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The tail spear still prompted people online to ask if the AvP movies are “canon” again anyway. :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Someone should insert the scene from the end of A|V:R where the guy gives Mrs Yutani a suitcase with predator stuff into all of the alien and predator movies.

Like in AVP1 he gives her a giant suitcase with the tail spear in it

The Predator has a suitcase with the autistic kid inside.

In Aliens the suitcase has Jonesy in it.

Ect ect

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1072933830841888768

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1074408217348694016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh man I just watched this(it's up for rent now) and holy poo poo that "what are you?" callback was the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen, and that's saying something because the sequel hook scene was almost just as lame. But the "what are you?" scene is a prime example of when a reference is awkwardly inserted into a movie to the point where the only way it really makes sense is if the character has actually seen the original film.