Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Wikipedia posted:

The Predator is a 2018 American science fiction action film directed by Shane Black and written by Black and Fred Dekker. It is the fourth installment in the Predator film series (the sixth counting the two Alien vs. Predator films), following Predator (1987), Predator 2 (1990) and Predators (2010). Black had a supporting role in the original film, while John Davis returns as producer from the first three installments. The film stars Boyd Holbrook, Trevante Rhodes, Jacob Tremblay, Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, and Sterling K. Brown, and follows a group of mercenaries who try to protect a small town from an invading group of Predators.

This was the first movie I've seen stone-cold sober in years and it was an absolute mess, but I still really enjoyed it. Discuss!

e:

General Dog posted:

Screen Rant has a pretty in-depth breakdown of what the reshoots probably changed

https://screenrant.com/predator-movie-reshoots-changes-shane-black-fox/

So yeah, this was a real hatchet job, although it seems like the movie probably had some pretty deep flaws from the start.

china bot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

how much is the autistic kid in it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

banned from Starbucks posted:

how much is the autistic kid in it

Quite a bit, but he’s actually far from the worst part of the movie, which is terrible btw

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
This is not a good movie, but it's fun. It's better than AvP Requiem which was both bad and not fun.

Really not a well made or well written movie though. But it's very fast and the actors are riffing their asses off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So this movie.

The first half is straight up almost the Predator movie of my dreams. It's got a lot of weirdly specific things I've always wanted to see (Predator space battle! Predator main character, kinda, Predator escapes out of a research lab and fucks everyone up!) And it was pretty drat fun for a bit. I love that Shane Black dialog.

Then the Predadogs show up and the whole movie loses it's mind in the worst way. Now not because of the dogs. I read the leaked script, I knew they were there, I knew one became their pet , but the editing just ceased to be competent or coherent. I have no idea what was happening for the next few minutes. It made me worry.

Then the third act kicked in. Whatever that was, it was real bad. It felt meandering, pointless, and just boring. And it kept going. I zoned out. Nothing was funny. Nothing was cool. And the ending was the dumbest poo poo, but not in a "I HATE THE LAST JEDI EUGHHHHHH" way, just...it was silly and I don't really get why it existed.

Not very good. Kinda bad. But the first half was rad though! And I love love loved the score. Thank gently caress Henry Jackman didn't gently caress around and do his own thing. You use those Silvestri cues. Don't you dare be stingy with that.

The only thing that disappoints me is simply that we won't get another Predator movie for a good while, and if we do, no one will take a chance on it. You ask why people aren't hyped as gently caress for a Predator movie, it's because you keep doing the same story, and that's boring as hell. The first half was some cool poo poo that would've made for a great film on it's own. But something got turbo hosed along the way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reposting my comment from the action thread here

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saw The Predator. It’s so incredibly loving dumb. It’s only saving grace is that it’s a short movie and it’s edited so bad that they just skip through all the bullshit and just jump from scene to scene to set piece to scene. Once I realized how disjointed it was I stopped caring and just starting taking each scene by itself and not worrying about shot like story progression. It started as one movie, then detours into an almost comedy then remembers it’s a Predator movie and just starts killing people, then switches to back to some dumb poo poo, then back to action that’s neither good or satisfying.

And the dialogue. Holy poo poo I can’t tell if it was just trying to be cool for the sake of it or if there was more to it but everyone sounds like they’re just equally half assing it and just taking the piss of their characters. There isn’t a single serious character in the movie and whole that may not be a bad thing it just doesn’t have the straight / serious guy to bounce the ridiculousness off.

There were a few parts I liked and I think there’s some cool ideas there that would have been better explored in another movie but all in all it was just real bad.

Thank you, Moviepass, for still being around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish that Fugitive Predator was the main character. That was a cool rear end chill Predator.

I lol'ed at the thumbs up

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

why is there a predator space battle? can you just spoil the whole thing i dont remember much from the horrible script i read 8 months ago. does the autistic kid still blow up a bullys house with his predator outfit?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The space battle, probably due to a ton of studio notes, is about the fugitive predator stealing an Iron Man esq Predator suit which will...uh...kill? a Predator? I guess? I dunno, logs, explosions and edged weapons seem to do alright. The battle is like 30 seconds long, but I liked it. It looked neat.

And yeah the kid does all of that. It's fine. I don't mind that. The autism thing should've been axed and the kid should've gotten Mummy Returns'ed where the device itself is what's causing him to read and use Predator stuff

The script was much better. I don't know what the gently caress was going on in third act was in this movie.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

For a second I really thought that the pod would contain something much cooler like arnold schwarzenegger either as a dutch clone or as a terminator

Overall I thought it was very okay for aping an 80s b-movie. The giant predator wasn't as awful as I thought it would be.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

does the autistic kid still blow up a bullys house with his predator outfit?

Yes and it is freakin hilarious. I enjoyed the movie a heck of a lot. Yeah it kind of loses it in the last act which is a bit of a mess but whatever it was fun

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I have no interest in seeing this, but is the trailer an accurate read of the movie? Because I think id rather be fired into the sun than see it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which trailer? There’s a kid and he does kid stuff but it’s not the whole movie.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oof, did that movie fall apart in the 2nd half. Other posters hit the nail on the head; the constant humor really fucks with the pacing and overall tone of the film. That, and it continues the unfortunate trend of sequels explaining more about the monster and dismantling a bit more of that mystique/horror factor.

Also I am sick and tired of the whole "character that is shown to be utterly capable and willing to rend their victims limb-from-limb suddenly decides to amble slowly towards the protagonists and gently toss them around" schtick; it was old in Terminator: Salvation and it's old here.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
It's very blatant that the scene with Shane Black's sex criminal friend was also Olivia Munn's introductory scene, so her character's arc gets hosed up from the start.

Also, I laughed when the kid blew up the 420 house and any time Sterling A. Brown did his weird "hahaha" laugh. I honestly laughed a lot during this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

china bot posted:

It's very blatant that the scene with Shane Black's sex criminal friend was also Olivia Munn's introductory scene, so her character's arc gets hosed up from the start.

Also, I laughed when the kid blew up the 420 house and any time Sterling A. Brown did his weird "hahaha" laugh. I honestly laughed a lot during this.

Same. It was just so ridiculously trash but some of the lines were good. “That’s not a predator” “That’s what I said!”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What in the world was up with the cut from the death of the big predator to the main character folding up his buddies' stuff in a hankerchief? It was the most jarring thing I'd ever seen, like the projector skipped ahead five seconds or something.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

General Dog posted:

What in the world was up with the cut from the death of the big predator to the main character folding up his buddies' stuff in a hankerchief? It was the most jarring thing I'd ever seen, like the projector skipped ahead five seconds or something.

Yeah, that was one of many times where it seemed like Black just forgot/failed to film something, a la The Snowman. Another thing from the third act: the kid uses a walkie-talkie to warn his dad about the ship's force field - when did the kid and the dad get those?

I would love to see a breakdown of what was (a) initial production footage, (b) reshot footage, and (c) new footage added in post.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The trailer has put me off this totally, glad I am not going to see it.
When the trailer is just lovely one liners with no tension built into it, they are hiding something.
There was no mood set in it, just generic action movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

china bot posted:

Yeah, that was one of many times where it seemed like Black just forgot/failed to film something, a la The Snowman. Another thing from the third act: the kid uses a walkie-talkie to warn his dad about the ship's force field - when did the kid and the dad get those?

I would love to see a breakdown of what was (a) initial production footage, (b) reshot footage, and (c) new footage added in post.

There's also jarring stuff like them leaving the military facility in a prison bus and arriving at the guy's house in an RV, or half of the team apparently leaving unseen during a fight, attaining a news helicopter, and then coming back in what seems to be 90 seconds. None of this stuff really matters, and if including more connective tissue would have meant blowing the movie's runtime out to 140 minutes then they made the right call in just cutting it, but boy is it a sloppy final product.

china bot posted:

Yeah, that was one of many times where it seemed like Black just forgot/failed to film something, a la The Snowman.

I thought that too, but for that specific instance, even if they didn't have the coverage they intended, they could have smoothed it out a lot just by fading out and fading back in rather than doing such a weird, hard cut.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 14, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

And what happened to Sterling K. Brown? Did his shoulder missile thing shoot him in the head? Why? Did he just gently caress up, or did the technology turn on him? Was that supposed to be Predator tech, or was it like an army knockoff of Predator tech?

Non-spoiler, it's the death of a major character that:

a) happens in a manner that has not been set up
b) is cut to and cut away from so fast that it's unclear exactly how or why it happened
c) is never acknowledged or commented on by any other characters

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Quoting myself from the action movie thread:

Fart City posted:

I’ve read in multiple reviews that the editing is like, significantly bad to the point of incoherence at times. One review in particular made mention of the death of a main character that happens so abruptly and with such little fanfare that it only becomes clear what happened later after the character just stops showing up in scenes, Apparently the editor comes from tv, and hasn’t worked with Black before, so maybe those are factors. But in all the reviews I’ve seen, the problematic and jarring editing has been called out (even in the more positive reviews).

Hoping to see the flick this weekend, but... I'm keeping expectations low.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fart City posted:

Quoting myself from the action movie thread:

Hoping to see the flick this weekend, but... I'm keeping expectations low.

Do yourself a favor and lower them further.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I was just popping in to ask if Sterling K Brown died. I was walking through my recollection of the movie and couldn't figure out what happened. Yeah, this is a mess of an edit job.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ape Agitator posted:

I was just popping in to ask if Sterling K Brown died. I was walking through my recollection of the movie and couldn't figure out what happened. Yeah, this is a mess of an edit job.

Yes they had a whole 12 frames of film showing it, please keep up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well well... this movie is a masterpiece! The leaks with the kid doing stuff with predator stuff takes a total of 10s and was over scrutinized.

I love when a universe is expanded and they add more things. This movie doesn't try to be smarter than you and plays to the strength of the genre, schlocky action at its best. With many great one liners to go around.

Predator space battle was interesting and quite short.
I liked seeing more of the inside of the ships.
The scientist lab had the alien tail spear from AVP.
The lab might of had the gun from AVP2 but I couldn't remember what it looks like.
Rag tag group all had their own personality.
Tall predator is strange but its not like Predators didn't start this idea. But super tall predator too big for buildings is really really strange but god drat he straight up murders some people.
Movie kinda just keep on moving, didn't really seem that slow.
Predator iron man suit to save the humans, I guess is a better ending than Shaw going off to meet the Engineers and then got killed off camera and never talked about again. It's not like predators is trying to be some kind of high art.

Paragon8 posted:

For a second I really thought that the pod would contain something much cooler like arnold schwarzenegger either as a dutch clone or as a terminator

I was hoping for the same thing.

General Dog posted:

And what happened to Sterling K. Brown? Did his shoulder missile thing shoot him in the head? Why? Did he just gently caress up, or did the technology turn on him? Was that supposed to be Predator tech, or was it like an army knockoff of Predator tech?

Non-spoiler, it's the death of a major character that:

a) happens in a manner that has not been set up
b) is cut to and cut away from so fast that it's unclear exactly how or why it happened
c) is never acknowledged or commented on by any other characters

It's called comedy, he was the guy in charge and trying to control everything. It was pretty ironic. You should try laughing sometimes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 14, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think it's usually considered an important part of joke structure to give the audience more than 0.1 seconds to absorb the punchline before moving on to something else

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Since when do Shoulder canons randomly fire in the direction you’re looking at?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Screen Rant has a pretty in-depth breakdown of what the reshoots probably changed

So yeah, this was a real hatchet job, although it seems like the movie probably had some pretty deep flaws from the start.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Since when do Shoulder canons randomly fire in the direction you’re looking at?

The kid did say it fires automatically when attacked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one was being attacked though.

“Hey!”

“Huh?”

Peeew

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

General Dog posted:

pro-click as gently caress, this explains a ton

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that’s a ton of content left of the floor. God drat, what a mess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disney will save the franchise!! :suicide:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

This is unintentionally the best comedy of the year. Holy cow what a mess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

This is unintentionally the best comedy of the year. Holy cow what a mess.

Nah, it's too self aware for that.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Really disappointing movie. Went in today for a matinee with the intention of wasting an hour and still bad. The kid was practically the best part. Editing was terrible. The score was good. Avoid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The score was so loving good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

General Dog posted:

Holy poo poo. No wonder it’s borderline incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ending talk: I was half expecting a really cynical ending and the predator killer be revealed to be a Xenomorph because why the gently caress not. The plot tells you that Predators are harvesting humans while they're still humans around so they can adapt to a heated (and uninhabited) Earth so they can move in. The "predator killer" does not help with that at loving all.