Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

finished it, really really good game. I think I'd have liked it to be a bit bigger with more to explore but you could ask that forever I guess, it's nice to have a compact game but sometimes between bosses and powerups it feels like there's not much room for the rest of the game to breathe lol

But at the same time those bosses are really good, final boss seemed impossible first couple of attempts, then I felt like I stood a chance, then on the fourth or fifth attempt I beat him easily and felt like a god. The perfect boss cycle imo

also lol I joked that Samus was Cell from DBZ now and then I saw the Metroid suit/hyper beam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

if you follow Dread speedrunning, it's gotten completely out of hand in a lot (I mean a dozen+ by now) of really unexpected ways, the latest of which is a technique called skewing, where Samus will face towards the screen and be able to charge a shinespark by running in place, which is used to skip the Gravity Suit by bypassing the Wave EMMIs water exit.

I've never seen more divine speedrunning motion, and peak year+ play will be unthinkable. The most intense part of this is how fast the breaks have been found and perfected by all the streaming runners and community adjacents. More and more every day; I've never seen anything like it. It has me praying for DLC of just huge shinespark and slide motion parks and boss challenges, it's begging for it and I want Metroid renaissance.

All the years of speedrunning Super Metroid et all was the speed boost for the shinespark that is Metroid Dread.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh. I just realized the guiding blue light-butterflies are probably meant to be a call to luminoths.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Finally played through the rest of Dread over the last few days. I wasn't hot on the first half of the game but it really started pressing my buttons around the time the X come into play. I'm a sucker for revisiting areas that have changes and Metroid hasn't really done that much before outside of the Primes. Definitely nothing on the level of Dread loving with the enemies on every single screen, the Artaria revisit etc. I'd be straight up lying if I said that Dread had anything less than the best combat and movement in the series. Tons of cool shinespark puzzles, the new and extremely improved speed booster was a blast to use. My favorite one was the one near the top of Hanubia that you have to shoot blocks out of the way, then cross bomb across a gap and finally drop a bomb right before you activate the upward ballspark. I think do think some of the really extended shinespark puzzles in Zero Mission are a little harder but these were great. Not a huge fan of EMMI, but now that I've played once they're basically just there, I don't think I'll die once to them on replays. Bosses are awesome across the board, and the final boss is phenomenal. Loved him. Wish there was more to part 2 of his encounter but it ending in one second was kind of the point. I still hate the animation of Samus charging her gun while it's pointed downward but that's really the only one I can't get over, most of the boss counters are really cool.

I still like Super more but it's a game I've played through over 100 times. This easily takes 2nd place for the 2D games.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

tuo posted:

Bring out/lock on the storm missiles as soon as the thing attaches it’s arms to the walls….it’s healing during this moment, and pretty quickly. If not attacked as soon as possible, the fight can take forever

ty for this advice. been playing OoT while dreading retrying the Z-57 fight another 20 times but lmfao I tried to do the shinespark quickie twice and missed both times but still managed to kill it earlier this evening after only like 10 more attempts. felt incredible lol

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beating it gave me that wonderfull, very loud "YEAH gently caress YOU" moment as soon as the death sequence started to play which I normally only get from chipping away that last pixel of the healthbar in Soulsborne games.

Dread owns.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol I was freaking out cause I had like no energy left due to loving up the shinespark twice and figured there was gonna be a final counter sequence for me to gently caress up

screw attack whips rear end just space jumping around everywhere lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

right arm posted:

screw attack whips rear end just space jumping around everywhere lol
For all the great Metroid inspired games out there I don't think anyone's ever managed to create a powerup as satisfying and game-changing as the screw attack

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

For all the great Metroid inspired games out there I don't think anyone's ever managed to create a powerup as satisfying and game-changing as the screw attack

yeah it's an excellent transition into the "ok solve every puzzle you haven't yet or go beat the game" stage of things. i don't ahve time to shoot enemies any more just jump through them!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Metroid has the courage to make you insanely powerful for the last 25% of the game, and it's a good rapid-pace feeling of going from a flippy mobile tank at start to a person-sized spaceship equipped with 20 death systems by the end

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Black August posted:

Metroid has the courage to make you insanely powerful for the last 25% of the game, and it's a good rapid-pace feeling of going from a flippy mobile tank at start to a person-sized spaceship equipped with 20 death systems by the end

This is exactly it, for all I love Hollow Knight for example, I've never got round to my replay of it because it never (iirc) has that kind of game-changing power-up. Sure you can go back through early areas much easier but it never has that catharsis wheels-off factor

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's like a goomba stomp that's always on.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Got a switch last Friday and have been playing the poo poo out of this, what a fun game.

Got to the last save point and spend the few playing sessions getting 100% items, time now to go fight the big bad having avoided any and all spoilers and get fuckin' wrecked left and right. Going to make an afternoon of it!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Update: drat, finally got it. I started celebrating too soon thinking I reached the cutscene and raven beak was beat, but it was another parry prompt and I missed it and got bitchslapped onto the ground and had to do another round of battle lol

I guess they’re setting up for a sequel with ADAM’s last message being a bit of a heel turn? I loved how they took care of samus’s evolution into Cell by just having the old-sage-but-really-X show up and make her normal in 2 seconds. Internal character conflict resolved! Thanks!! Bye.

12:12:15 to get 100%, took my tIme and got really lost just once or twice. What a fun game, glad I read this thread and heeded the hype

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fortaleza posted:

I guess they’re setting up for a sequel with ADAM’s last message being a bit of a heel turn?

the twist was you never spoke to adam in any of the uplink rooms it was raven beak the whole time

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

the twist was you never spoke to adam in any of the uplink rooms it was raven beak the whole time

oooooh that makes way more sense. Man that sailed right over my head for some reason.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Raven Beak is no gentleman, he never called Samus "Lady" when imitating Adam.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

I guess they’re setting up for a sequel with ADAM’s last message being a bit of a heel turn? I loved how they took care of samus’s evolution into Cell by just having the old-sage-but-really-X show up and make her normal in 2 seconds. Internal character conflict resolved! Thanks!! Bye.

Genuinely lold at this. It doesn't really matter at all but... what was the point

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Genuinely lold at this. It doesn't really matter at all but... what was the point
I'd say the same point as when in the ending of Prime MP pulls the phazon suit out of Samus: it allows the next game to start fresh without "having" to explain how she lost at least this one big thing once again. It's not great but I get it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

She didn't lose it. Quiet Robe's tribe has the ability to control metroids. She's in full control of her metroid powers now.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Evil Eagle posted:

She didn't lose it. Quiet Robe's tribe has the ability to control metroids. She's in full control of her metroid powers now.

drat, I forgot about that. That's badass if true and makes me more excited for a sequel.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

She only really lost control of them about 5 seconds before that though lol. Maybe a bit earlier if you count her absorbing the EMMI and going psycho mode on Raven Beak but honestly that all helped her more than it hindered so it felt more like instinct than losing control. Could maybe have used a bit more buildup but the abruptness of it was funny and worked for me . Honestly the whole ending and escalation was a completely perfect kind of stupid imo

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

yeah exactly, she also probably has some x parasite stuff assuming she didn't just gobble that up. she's more the universe's apex predator than ever

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

$10 down that next game Samus has the Metroid Suit for a super mode

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Black August posted:

$10 down that next game Samus has the Metroid Suit for a super mode

Amiibo required.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

Amiibo required.

lol!!!!

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
honestly the only issue i have with the game is you can’t skip the opening cutscene, goty

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MrQueasy posted:

Amiibo required.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what has nintendo actually gatelocked behind an amiibo anyway? it's like that one dungeon in twilight princess hd and a bunch of costumes or loot drops.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Metroid Amiibo has this jelly structure which is quite cool. It's nearly like that one He-Man toy but doesn't stink. And it gives you missiles.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Loadouts in Splatoon 2 were locked to amiibos which is stupid

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

what has nintendo actually gatelocked behind an amiibo anyway? it's like that one dungeon in twilight princess hd and a bunch of costumes or loot drops.

wolf in botw and fast travel in skyward sword i think. the wolf sucks rear end though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

wolf in botw and fast travel in skyward sword i think. the wolf sucks rear end though

I’ve got skyward sword and the amiibo and I’ve never once used it because it feels like you’re never more than 30 seconds’ walk from a fast travel point anyway, feels like it would take just as long to get up, find the amiibo, and scan it in as it would to just head to the bird statue anyway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tuo posted:

The Metroid Amiibo has this jelly structure which is quite cool. It's nearly like that one He-Man toy but doesn't stink. And it gives you missiles.

its a really cool amiibo. i have it and its required to unlock hardmode in metroid samus returns lol.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

if I get one amiibo it'll be the metroid one, I still love their design after all this time

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
got wave beam. i cannot be stopped

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
this final boss guy is pissing me off

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

mycophobia posted:

this final boss guy is pissing me off

he’ll probably take some tries but when you get it down you’ll beat him and barely get hit. really satisfying to learn the moves and how to dodge

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The only part of the fight I really hated was the giant ball of energy that pulses waves in the last phase. I'm just glad I got all the energy tanks lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kongming posted:

The only part of the fight I really hated was the giant ball of energy that pulses waves in the last phase. I'm just glad I got all the energy tanks lol.

figuring out that you could use a power bomb to blow the suns up was one of the most powerful gamer moments of the year for me