Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

trevorreznik posted:

Iowa, Wisconsin

It feels weird to call these two garbage.

Wisconsin set the Big Ten Championship Game scoring record when they ended up staggering in as the third place team when Ohio State and Penn State were....otherwise occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

It's hard to say, right? I mean, Michigan was good enough to blow out all those schools.

Like, Texas lost its star running back this season because he was playing in the 4th quarter against TCU because we weren't good enough to stomp the poo poo out of TCU and put in the bench by the 4th quarter, even though we probably should have been. Same story if we'd been playing Illinois? Probably ... but I dunno maybe not.

To be fair, Michigan barely survived against Indiana/Illinois last year
https://twitter.com/kylerrobbins/status/1594322637668638721

Sash! posted:

It feels weird to call these two garbage.

Wisconsin set the Big Ten Championship Game scoring record when they ended up staggering in as the third place team when Ohio State and Penn State were....otherwise occupied.

I suppose they're merely mediocre and feast on the true garbage teams in the big 10, then flail helplessly against good teams.

I think I'm just letting out a lot with the end of the big 10 west and all that it stood for (horrible football)

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

to paraphrase Spencer Hall on Fullcast After Dark "the most annoying thing with crazy Ohio State fans is...they're right...when they say 'Yeah Ryan Day's just never winning this game again' you kinda have to agree with them"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

To be fair, Michigan barely survived against Indiana/Illinois last year
https://twitter.com/kylerrobbins/status/1594322637668638721

I suppose they're merely mediocre and feast on the true garbage teams in the big 10, then flail helplessly against good teams.

I think I'm just letting out a lot with the end of the big 10 west and all that it stood for (horrible football)

I loving hate pick plays. So much more because the announcers always highlight them in replay as "brilliant play design" and it's very clearly just OPI every loving time.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Lady Radia posted:

the day haters are mind blowing to me

I can see it a bit. The Big 10 has been incredibly weak during Days stint at OSU and he’s had two insanely talented QBs, but in spite of that he keeps losing to his only real opponents. OSU is such a juggernaut at this point idk that it’s crazy for them to have wild expectations. They’ve been this good for decades now. I think the next two years playing in a real conference and with a real playoff will tell us a lot about Day as a coach. Personally I think he’s mediocre and won’t gently caress up OSUs juggernaut path while also not doing anything special in important games. Idk he’s like a modern Dabo, he’ll live and die by his coordinators and QBs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

knowing Day got fired from a job as an NFL QB coach makes Ohio State's current quarterback situation make a lot more sense

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

I loving hate pick plays. So much more because the announcers always highlight them in replay as "brilliant play design" and it's very clearly just OPI every loving time.

It's a lot like basketball to me, where the big name schools often just get to do what they want, confident that the refs will swallow their whistle at key moments. They KNOW it's an illegal play and they call it on purpose.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It's hard to say, right? I mean, Michigan was good enough to blow out all those schools.

Like, Texas lost its star running back this season because he was playing in the 4th quarter against TCU because we weren't good enough to stomp the poo poo out of TCU and put in the bench by the 4th quarter, even though we probably should have been. Same story if we'd been playing Illinois? Probably ... but I dunno maybe not.

See, i think Texas is good enough and it was the game plan and playcalling shifting too early with the leads they had. They kept the starters in and didn't keep the foot on the gas, which is like, what's the point? just put the drat thing to bed in the for good in the 3rd and then you can coast in the 4th and instead they'd try and sit on a lead to start the half which never really worked out for them and yet Sark kept at it. That's my largest gripe with him is that he didn't seem to learn from that week to week, like Mack hanging on to Greg Davis for a few seasons too many.

I've found peace with Sark -- the team has got better every year and I won't complain about 10+ win seasons. The team is fun to watch. I don't think he's a like, year in and year out competing for championships coach and that's got to be ok, very few are and very few teams are. I think the second half collapses in games this season are on him and just gotta roll with it as he's the best coach since Mack and has the team in a good place.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Alaois posted:

knowing Day got fired from a job as an NFL QB coach makes Ohio State's current quarterback situation make a lot more sense

Well, he didn’t get directly fired he just got fired along with Chip Kelly, who brought him on with the Eagles and then the 49ers. Though being a Chip Kelly acolyte probably doesn’t help his case much.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Neil Armbong posted:

See, i think Texas is good enough and it was the game plan and playcalling shifting too early with the leads they had. They kept the starters in and didn't keep the foot on the gas, which is like, what's the point? just put the drat thing to bed in the for good in the 3rd and then you can coast in the 4th and instead they'd try and sit on a lead to start the half which never really worked out for them and yet Sark kept at it. That's my largest gripe with him is that he didn't seem to learn from that week to week, like Mack hanging on to Greg Davis for a few seasons too many.

I've found peace with Sark -- the team has got better every year and I won't complain about 10+ win seasons. The team is fun to watch. I don't think he's a like, year in and year out competing for championships coach and that's got to be ok, very few are and very few teams are. I think the second half collapses in games this season are on him and just gotta roll with it as he's the best coach since Mack and has the team in a good place.

I think Sark has done a good job with the roster and Texas has the talent to compete, but Sark himself is near James Franklin-levels of horrific in-game coach and Texas won't win the big one with him in charge

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Who would they even target? They definitely would want to keep Hartline, dude just produces and croots the hell out of receivers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

The last 13 years have made me quite ok with a guy who can sometimes get us to this level and hopefully has a 7 or 8 win floor at all times. He seems to be an excellent game planner and a really bad in-the-moment decision-maker (see that goal-line stand for OU that cost us the game this year).

You ditch a guy like this at your own peril, Ohio State fans. Kirby Smart is like, the only time it has ever worked for a school to go "Sure, the team is very good under this coach, but it could be GREAT under a new guy".

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I think Indiana is set to benefit overall from the expansion just by escaping the B1G East. Between UM/MSU/PSU/OSU you have four programs who Indiana has collectively beat 6 times in the last two decades, three of which were Sparty in their various flop eras. Maryland is a peer program with a higher upside and even Rutgers is .500 against the Hoosiers.

Even adding the chance of playing UO/USC/UW is worth it, they’re getting one or two more winnable games each year.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I'll add to this the Kyle Shanahan/Mike McDaniel quick out motion that runs upfield as my "cheating that's called brilliant play design" pet peeve.

Also, I got a football recruiting mailer from Rose-Hulman lol.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who would they even target? They definitely would want to keep Hartline, dude just produces and croots the hell out of receivers.

Looking at the replies, the top three targets seems to be

1) Urban Meyer
2) Urban Meyer
3) Nabru Reyem

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

the day haters are mind blowing to me

If my father-in-law is any indication, Michigan Derangement Syndrome is very real and possibly terminal

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think Sark has done a good job with the roster and Texas has the talent to compete, but Sark himself is near James Franklin-levels of horrific in-game coach and Texas won't win the big one with him in charge

yeah, a more succinct way to state my thoughts. I think they could get to a championship, but won't be regulars at the playoffs.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

PostNouveau posted:

Kirby Smart is like, the only time it has ever worked for a school to go "Sure, the team is very good under this coach, but it could be GREAT under a new guy".

And that only worked because God hates South Carolina and we can't have nice things.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

yeah, a more succinct way to state my thoughts. I think they could get to a championship, but won't be regulars at the playoffs.

Right, the players could always overcome a bad coach if they get the chance.

Vince Young won a title with Greg Davis as his OC.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I can see it a bit. The Big 10 has been incredibly weak during Days stint at OSU and he’s had two insanely talented QBs, but in spite of that he keeps losing to his only real opponents. OSU is such a juggernaut at this point idk that it’s crazy for them to have wild expectations. They’ve been this good for decades now. I think the next two years playing in a real conference and with a real playoff will tell us a lot about Day as a coach. Personally I think he’s mediocre and won’t gently caress up OSUs juggernaut path while also not doing anything special in important games. Idk he’s like a modern Dabo, he’ll live and die by his coordinators and QBs
In the 4 full seasons since taking over for Meyer, Day has beat:
  • #25 MSU (34-10)
  • #13 Wisconsin (38-7)
  • #9 Penn State (28-17)
  • #10 Michigan (56-27)
  • #10 Wisconsin (34-21)
  • #20 Penn State (33-24)
  • #7 Michigan State (56-7)
  • #10 Utah (48-45)
  • #5 Notre Dame (21-10)
  • #13 Penn State (33-24)
  • #9 Notre Dame (17-14)
  • #7 Penn State (20-12)

He has lost to
  • #3 Clemson (23-29, NCG)
  • #12 Oregon (28-35)
  • #6 Michigan( 27-42)
  • #3 Michigan (23-45)
  • #1 Georgia (41-42, CFP)
  • #3 Michigan (24-30)

8-5 against the top 10 (7-3 in the regular season), 12-6 against the top 25 (11-5). 67% of the losses were 1 possession games compared to 25% of the wins. Undefeated by unranked teams.

Clemson, same period: 9-5 against top 25 teams, 6 unranked losses
Georgia: 20-2-1
Bama: 14-6-1
School Up North 9-7-0, 7-7-0 if we don't credit Jim with Moore's wins.
Frankenreilly: 7-10-2

12-6-0 stacks up incredibly well with what's generally viewed as the nation's top programs and the nation's top coaches. 2/2a with Bama.

To be clear, I'd love to see Day fired because aside from maybe Clemson, no program or fanbase has deserved getting Nebraska'd this hard since, well, Nebraska. But the concept of him as mediocre, a caretaker, triumphing over a cupcake schedule and incapable of taking Brutus to his deserved heights is ludicrous.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

DeBoer, 7-1-4 in the same period, would probably be the best plausible option but prying him away from the Dawgs isn't particularly realistic (and no one of his caliber would go to Ohio State without a Jimbo/Tucker deal if they shitcan Day after the past 4 seasons). Sticking in Seattle, maybe bringing Pete back to college?

After Day's replacement inevitably flames out, I think you're seriously looking at a mildly rehabilitated Scotr Frost or Jimbo. Or Hartline after at least marginal G5 success.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/TreyWallace_/status/1729263477980803112/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1729263477980803112&currentTweetUser=TreyWallace_

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

punched my v-card at camp posted:

I think Indiana is set to benefit overall from the expansion just by escaping the B1G East. Between UM/MSU/PSU/OSU you have four programs who Indiana has collectively beat 6 times in the last two decades, three of which were Sparty in their various flop eras.

And two of them were Penn State and Michigan knee deep in listless pandemic teams.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Almost makes me feel sorry for him.

Someone post how much he'll be getting paid so I stop.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Almost makes me feel sorry for him.

Someone post how much he'll be getting paid so I stop.

7M a year for 6 years, 75 percent guaranteed effectively.

I can't imagine what they were planning to pay Stoops he makes 9M a year at Kentucky.

Azrial fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 28, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Coaches to successfully use Indiana as a stepping stone job include... uh ... *checks notes*

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It is going to be weird if Houston gets Gary Patterson. I’d have to watch TCU Houston.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Azrial posted:

7M a year for 6 years, 75 percent guaranteed effectively.

I can't imagine what they were planning to pay Stoops he makes 9M a year at Kentucky.

My sympathy has vanished. He deserves Aggie.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i dont think i ever realized how much of an immaculate 70s Italian Guy Corso was

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Found the mold for Eric Stoltz’s latex facial prosthesis in Mask.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Alaois posted:

i dont think i ever realized how much of an immaculate 70s Italian Guy Corso was

Approaching Nunzio Campanile levels indeed

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Alaois posted:

Gerry Dinardo wasn't far behind.

Then there was that guy that had one of the better winning percentages in recent history that died of brain cancer.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

LeeMajors posted:

Found the mold for Eric Stoltz’s latex facial prosthesis in Mask.

what's he doing with the illinois football team

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Every Arizona space for the last week has been “Noooo Fisch is leaving!!!!!!” which is funny because I don’t see it anywhere out of the Arizona bubble…but those spaces are too nascent for me to tell them to chill.

Anyway it looks like he is about to get a giant extension even though the school is broke because they spent all their money on a bad bet on a second online school for some reason. That is gonna go over well once the “SPORTSBALL” crowd finds out but whatever I am happy.

https://x.com/jasonscheer/status/1729209427428044819?s=46&t=aKcI5w-ITyMblbTTR26ohw

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

whos that broooown posted:

Gerry Dinardo wasn't far behind.

Then there was that guy that had one of the better winning percentages in recent history that died of brain cancer.

Terry Hoeppner. Fun fact, its been 75 years since IU had a head coach with a win percentage over .500.

Their most successful coaches in the modern era all came from Miami of Ohio. John Pont took them to the Rose Bowl, Bill Mallory was good for many years and Hoeppner would have had similar success if his brain had not betrayed him.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

It is going to be weird if Houston gets Gary Patterson. I’d have to watch TCU Houston.

The street says he interviewed yesterday. Might be trying to get Willie Fritz in as well but the residual AAC guy in me says I sure hope not right now.

Obvious questions are me is how much does Patterson have in the tank? He obviously knows how to run a high end program but can he do it for the next five or so years without burning out again? What staff is he putting together? Is UH expecting a Kelvin Sampson sort of situation here? I know UH isn't going to be SMU in NIL and the portal, but is Patterson (who was vocally anti the portal at TCU) willing to at least try if UH is?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Rick posted:

Every Arizona space for the last week has been “Noooo Fisch is leaving!!!!!!” which is funny because I don’t see it anywhere out of the Arizona bubble…but those spaces are too nascent for me to tell them to chill.

I do wonder what would have happened if UCLA had pulled the trigger on firing Chip, seemed like that was a legit possible landing spot for Fisch. That or if Florida had fired Napier I guess.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
dudes are offensive geniuses when their 5*s are windmill dunking on directional schools but suddenly its a lot different when that talent disparity doesn't exist and there's a team on the other side of the ball that has watched more than 10 minutes of film.

this isn't just a Ryan Day criticism, you can level this at most programs and almost the entirety of the NFL. the coaching pool is full of absolute dogshit thanks to years of so many nepotism hires that it makes car dealership owners look diverse.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Building the roster to a point where you get to enjoy an obscene talent advantage over 90% of your schedule is the basic objective of college football.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Proud Christian Mom posted:

dudes are offensive geniuses when their 5*s are windmill dunking on directional schools but suddenly its a lot different when that talent disparity doesn't exist and there's a team on the other side of the ball that has watched more than 10 minutes of film.

this isn't just a Ryan Day criticism, you can level this at most programs and almost the entirety of the NFL. the coaching pool is full of absolute dogshit thanks to years of so many nepotism hires that it makes car dealership owners look diverse.

Its why more schools should just hire whoever wins their Madden E-Sports tournament, The Mike McDaniels method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Florida fired Corey Raymond and Sean Spencer, DB and DL coaches respectively.

Getting Raymond out of LSU was supposed to be napiers best assistant hire but that group has severely underperformed. DL has also been a complete non factor.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more movement, but it definitely speaks to a warm seat.