Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah the rotating head puppet things don't especially gel with anything else in the episode.

Unnecessary cruelty to children does seem pretty well in line with post-Brexit, post-Earthxit UK, though, you have to admit.

"Plastic-head terrors are go; right, cue the video of the evil little girl chanting a taunting rhyme"

"Is all this really necessary, Reg? We're already sending the kid off to hard labour"

"Shut up and accelerate the descent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RadioTimes/status/1789732555157078516

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Don't step on the hyperactive Roomba.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

So far we have lol what fart aliens, and bad Beatles but amazing alien. I think we are due for great Sci Fi idea that looks corny but is sold by performance.

I was about to say that's Jinkx Monsoon but Maestro might just be fantasy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Unnecessary cruelty to children does seem pretty well in line with post-Brexit, post-Earthxit UK, though, you have to admit.

"Plastic-head terrors are go; right, cue the video of the evil little girl chanting a taunting rhyme"

"Is all this really necessary, Reg? We're already sending the kid off to hard labour"

"Shut up and accelerate the descent"

We are a nation where the immigration minister ordered some Disney characters on the wall of an asylum processing centre painted over, so yeah, fair.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Sat down to watch this drop and had to skip the first episode 10 minutes in. I cannot do that baby-fake-talking-with-dubbed-voiceover thing. Absolutely insane choice to have that be the introduction to the new season.

The Devil's Chord—the polar opposite. Incredible!! Already loving Fifteen and the dynamic with Ruby Sunday. Jinkx Monsoon was born to be a camp villain and tore that role up. I'm already invested in the foreshadowed overarching plot after seeing Maestro tweaking to Christmas music.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Has anyone here tried the Doctors and Daleks RPG book?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I can't recommend doctors and daleks for D&D 5E but I can recommend the dedicated Doctor Who RPG system from the same publisher.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched Doctor Who in years, but I was bored. This guy rules. I'm all for the family friendly stuff. Halfway through the episode I wished my daughter was home so I could show it to her, but then I thought about all the past revival-era episodes I wouldn't want her watching. Whether they're inappropriate (cement face love life, or otherwise too scary/violent) or just the long runs of episodes that where whoever was running the show was too full of themselves and decided to make everything melodramatic and serious. Definitely going to watch Devil's Chord tomorrow and see what I think.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shneak posted:

Sat down to watch this drop and had to skip the first episode 10 minutes in. I cannot do that baby-fake-talking-with-dubbed-voiceover thing. Absolutely insane choice to have that be the introduction to the new season.

It's a good way of letting people check out if the show isn't for them though, because if you see that and go "gently caress yeah I'm in" then you're probably gonna enjoy most of Who.

I admire their dedication, even with the massive budget to build unique sets, to building a set that makes it look like they are filming in a quarry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I actually really like that that’s a physical set, and not the loving Volume.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm guessing this might be the budget episode for this series then.

Also I don't mind the Volume, they did cool stuff with it for Strange New Worlds that meant we got actual alien worlds and not the Vasquez Rocks. And don't get me wrong, I love the Vasquez rocks but I've seen them in Trek a lot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s always really obvious when they’re using it on SNW (with the exception of the engine room). There’s always something very unnaturally empty about the space they create.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2house2fly posted:

Trying to think of a good Capaldi scene to post a youtube video of as a lure. I think all my favourite scenes are too spoilery. Though in the case of one particular scene spoilers may not apply, as it had been described in detail seven years prior to airing.

The reveal of him taking of the mask in Deep Breath, while a spoiler, is probably the best intro to him.

"HELLO HELLO RUBISH ROBOTS FROM THE DAWN OF TIME!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The reveal of him taking of the mask in Deep Breath, while a spoiler, is probably the best intro to him.

"HELLO HELLO RUBISH ROBOTS FROM THE DAWN OF TIME!"

The explanation of the bootstrap paradox direct to camera is also a pretty good intro to him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I'm guessing this might be the budget episode for this series then.

Also I don't mind the Volume, they did cool stuff with it for Strange New Worlds that meant we got actual alien worlds and not the Vasquez Rocks. And don't get me wrong, I love the Vasquez rocks but I've seen them in Trek a lot.

There's a really good interview with Moffat out in which talks about them discussing how expensive some elements of the episode were gonna be and he switched into showrunner mode asking where else in the season they could pull resources from before remembering it wasn't his show.

Also some other nice Moffat related things in there, but not sure if they could as spoilers or not for the purposes of this thread.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My favourite bit of that article:

quote:

In the email, he was mostly just telling me the news. But because he’s Russell, he was getting excitable about it.

:3:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

It’s always really obvious when they’re using it on SNW (with the exception of the engine room). There’s always something very unnaturally empty about the space they create.

You're correct, I've seen the odd episode of SNW and it's not great to look at, and I've seen a lot of shows do it worse with the same tech.

IMO actors should have as much physical material to interact with as possible. It just results in better performances. The best use of Volume I've seen was in 1899, where the actors were allowed to physically interact with the walls, pulling parts of the horizon away, climbing inside the Volume walls, etc. Pretty good use of the tech's uncanny quality.

Also it just looked really nice in a way a lot of other productions (e.g. The Mandalorian season 3) just couldn't capture.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As with most filming tech, it’s all about the execution. Even within SNW there’s still plenty of scenes where their Volume equivalent is used really really well in a way that’s basically as seamless as you could expect.

Nothing will ever beat actually filming on location or building complex physical sets, but for shows that typically don’t have that kind of necessary budget or filming schedule available the Volume and its equivalents have still been godsends. I’ll happily accept the occasional wonky shot in exchange for everything else they can achieve with it.

That said, there’s absolutely zero excuse for mid-to-high budget movies using it. Just go outside or build a set!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What's Volume?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lammasu posted:

What's Volume?

It's a big room with really good screens for walls, so it's like acting against a greenscreen but the actors can see what they're acting against.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StageCraft

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lammasu posted:

What's Volume?

The LED walls that are meant to be the next big step up from green screen, since (when used properly) they allow actors to have some sense of what they're acting up against. Notably pioneered on The Batman and Dune by cinematographer Grieg Fraser.

Use since has been more spotty, since the rely on a different kind of production pipeline where decisions need to be made before the actors get in front of the camera (gasp!) rather than in post. If they don't you end up with poo poo like the rooftop scenes from Shazam 2. It can also look really small and cramped, since there's a limited amount of floor space, and the sets are nearly always these tiny circles with maybe a couple of market stalls or a dozen extras for a "crowd". E.g. Netflix's Avatar Thr Last Airbender.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really didn't enjoy 1899 overall, but I agree that the stuff they did with The Volume was really clever and made the moments where things seemed slightly off actually make sense.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Lammasu posted:

What's Volume?

knob on your tv that makes things louder

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

Notably pioneered on The Batman and Dune by cinematographer Grieg Fraser.

I agree with everything else you said, but I'm fairly sure it's usage in The Batman resulted in massive repaints in post because they changed things after filming.

Really it was pioneered by Jon Favreau for The Mandalorian and despite it's spotty usage in subsequent seasons it's use in Season One was really revolutionary.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Devil's Chord mp4s - click to view, unmute to hear!

https://i.imgur.com/kt4YfcD.mp4

♪ Doctor Who is the best, Doctor Who #1! ♪

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I agree with everything else you said, but I'm fairly sure it's usage in The Batman resulted in massive repaints in post because they changed things after filming.

Really it was pioneered by Jon Favreau for The Mandalorian and despite it's spotty usage in subsequent seasons it's use in Season One was really revolutionary.

Huh, I didn't know about the thing with The Batman, but I thought Fraser worked on those episodes from Mando Season 1 because of his familiarity with the tech on Dune Part 1, though I guess it was the other way around.

But yeah, you can do absolutely amazing things with the technology if you want, but it has strong limitations beyond the issue of budget and familiarization.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The best Volume sets, in my opinion, all have one element in common. They have good foreground set elements that completely obscure the seam between the screen and the ground. Often it's as a skyline through a window or some other heavily dressed environment. The best results seem to me to stem from a natural and immersive segregation of the foreground and background, rather than when they try to create a visible transition between the two.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Trying to think of a good Capaldi scene to post a youtube video of as a lure. I think all my favourite scenes are too spoilery. Though in the case of one particular scene spoilers may not apply, as it had been described in detail seven years prior to airing.

"Time And Relative Dimension In Space. It means life."

I always loved that scene.

But also, yes, the Bootstrap monologue is good too

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4SEDzynMiQ

Thoroughly enjoyable still.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Another reminder of the missed opportunity to use Capaldi riffing the theme for the entire intro, would've been awesome..

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Another reminder of the missed opportunity to use Capaldi riffing the theme for the entire intro, would've been awesome..

Along these lines, I thought they could have done more with Maestro loving with the credits during this week's episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Look, rocks!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQ-5fAshXA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Radio Times announced that Moffat is writing the Xmas EP

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not super spoilery, but posting this here just in case. Despite the clickbait headline (she absolutely is not "hinting at a return"), it reads to me like Carole Ann Ford hasn't been been asked to come back yet, for those speculating on Susan showing up. The character could always show up as another actor of course. I like how excited she is by the idea though:

Carole Ann Ford posted:

So the mind boggles with all the many ways Susan could come back, where and when. But I think she would love reuniting with her grandfather in his new form. Isn't Ncuti amazing!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the first three episodes of the new season with my mom. The first episode was okay, but for the second episode, Space Babies, it seemed like there was an awfully quick turnaround on the Bogeyman in that suddenly all those babies afraid for their lives were concerned with the Bogeyman's welfare. We were both wondering if we missed something. The educational software going haywire and making the Bogeyman (but not anything else) also seemed like a stretch. I know they were making a cringeworthy joke about the methane being emitted like a fart from the part of the space station that looked like cylindrical buttcheeks, but I don't believe methane would work as a rocket propellant to another planet in the same star system, either.

The third episode, The Devil's Chord, was great, and a lot of fun with all the music. The villain, the Maestro, reminded us of the witch Winifred Sanderson from Hocus Pocus (1993). I haven't watched Doctor Who since the first part of Capaldi, so I don't know what the Maestro being the daughter of the Toymaker means.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 15, 2024

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

galenanorth posted:

The third episode, Boom, was great, and a lot of fun with all the music. The villain reminded us of the witch Winifred Sanderson from Hocus Pocus (1993). I haven't watched Doctor Who since the first part of Capaldi, so I don't know what the Muse or whatever her name was being the daughter of the Toymaker means.

Its a reference to the Toymaker who was in the episode where Gatwa bi-generated from Tennant. So, just one episode back from the first one you watched.

The being an orphan and adopted and alone is all stuff from the Chibnall era, and I wouldn't recommend going back to watch that. But the Toymaker ep and really all the Tennant D+ specials are good and fun.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

galenanorth posted:

The third episode, The Devil's Chord, was great, and a lot of fun with all the music. The villain, the Maestro, reminded us of the witch Winifred Sanderson from Hocus Pocus (1993). I haven't watched Doctor Who since the first part of Capaldi, so I don't know what the Maestro being the daughter of the Toymaker means.

Wow, you snuck that edit in before I could even comment how confused the initial typo made me. I thought I'd missed Boom being released.

Would make sense - I have no short term memory anymore it seems. I watched the Crisis on Infinite earths pt 1/2 and was very confused at the cliffhanger ending (as I did not know there was a 3rd part either..) recently, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fil5000 posted:

It's a big room with really good screens for walls, so it's like acting against a greenscreen but the actors can see what they're acting against.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StageCraft

The visuals on the wall can also move in sync with the camera’s movement so that things like perspective and lighting stay “correct”. It’s a pretty clever piece of tech.