Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm on the fence about GoRider because, as far as I know, it isn't subbed yet. That makes watching things far harder, you know? I like understanding what they say!

TV-Nihon did the subs for it, so while yeah, it's TV-N, the subs are perfectly comprehensible.

I was really pleased with how they used Kenzaki in this, and I say that as someone whose favorite season is Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Thinking on it, I'd probably recommend Go-Busters over Go-Onger if you want something transformers-y. They're not really actually transformers, but it's somewhere in the same zip code.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FeatherFloat posted:

TV-Nihon did the subs for it, so while yeah, it's TV-N, the subs are perfectly comprehensible.

I was really pleased with how they used Kenzaki in this, and I say that as someone whose favorite season is Blade.

TV Nihon is the opposite of comprehensible, we are not having this goddamn discussion again

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

PMush Perfect posted:

Thinking on it, I'd probably recommend Go-Busters over Go-Onger if you want something transformers-y. They're not really actually transformers, but it's somewhere in the same zip code.

Not to mention that people generally love go busters unless they are so sentai obsessed that leather costumes instead of spandex is the most upsetting thing since sonic the hedgehog's arms changed color.
While go onger is generally seen as a boring and predictable season.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

FeatherFloat posted:

Yeah, TVN is the only source for it at the moment so that can be a dealbreaker for some people. But I understand enough Japanese to watch unsubbed movies and I didn't notice any glaring mistakes. Yeah the writing is stiff and awkward and TVN are terrible and I'd never recommend them over any other source, but I want to see everything. So for things like GoRider, or Rider #4 and the Genm specials, if the options are rolling the dice on TVN's quality or not being able to watch it at all, I'll take the risk.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

and the Genm specials

There's non-TVN subs for all but one Genm special (the Taiko no Tatsujin special), and if that's anything like the Ichigo Eyecon special, you're not missing out much

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

There's non-TVN subs for all but one Genm special (the Taiko no Tatsujin special), and if that's anything like the Ichigo Eyecon special, you're not missing out much

Oh, well dang shows what I know. Thanks! I'll have to track that down. I've only seen the first two, I wasn't aware that the last one was out let alone subbed. I never saw the Ichigo eyecon special either though, for some reason it has difficult to keep track of when and where these dang specials are released.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

No, you misread me, I meant that special's only been subbed by TVN. The first two do have non-TVN subs.

For what it's worth, this is the best thing about that one

https://twitter.com/SentaiFive/status/854836494506348544

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

No, you misread me, I meant that special's only been subbed by TVN. The first two do have non-TVN subs.

For what it's worth, this is the best thing about that one

Oh no, I read you right, I am just bad at specifying what I'm talking about haha. The first two sentences were about the first two specials and my intent to find the alternate subs, then I moved on to discussing my surprise that the 3rd special had been subbed at all since I wasn't aware of it before. Sorry about that!

Sadly the tweet video is blocked here, but from the text it sounds amazing. Hibiki's taiko was the best part of Decade so I imagine the same will hold true for these specials.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

TV Nihon is the opposite of comprehensible, we are not having this goddamn discussion again

Eh, even broken clocks are right twice a day. I'm not expecting them to make a trend out of their marginal success on goriders but in willing to acknowledge they did an okay job for once.

John McClane fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 20, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good news! TV JAPAN, a 24 hour premium channel in the US and Canada dedicated to Japanese programming, will be playing a Kamen Rider series starting on the 22nd!

Bad news! It's Wizard.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Quality... Please!

*Wizard sticks his hand in the portal, nothing comes out*

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
It's a Japanese language channel so it must be for expats.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
As a level XX Wizard hater: at least it's not Ghost.

Wizard is just stupid and stylish enough to possibly catch someone who is like "hey what's this Kamen Rider thing" while channel surfing, honestly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Caphi posted:

As a level XX Wizard hater: at least it's not Ghost.

Wizard is just stupid and stylish enough to possibly catch someone who is like "hey what's this Kamen Rider thing" while channel surfing, honestly.
I'll agree with that. As much as I hate Wizard, it is a very flashy, stylish-looking series with, if not good CGI, at least interesting-looking. Part of why it's such a tragedy how bad it is. The whole thing is really a monument to wasted potential. Still wish they'd used Drive instead, but whatever.

Edit I do have to admit the collectibles/"sentient toy cars" gimmick in Drive is really hard for a layman to take seriously, while Wizard's gimmick includes things like "It's a motorcycle that turns into a dragon!"

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit I do have to admit the collectibles/"sentient toy cars" gimmick in Drive is really hard for a layman to take seriously, while Wizard's gimmick includes things like "It's a motorcycle that turns into a dragon!"

Wizard's toy gimmick is definitely the easiest to take seriously out of everything Rider's put out in roughly a decade. The last five years alone have been video game cartridges wielded by doctors, eyeballs that summon ghosts made of coats, tiny sentient cars, samurai fruit padlocks, and then there's Wizard with magic rings.

It's a decent move to draw viewers in, but... it's Wizard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tiny sentient cars are the best

Toy cars crying in the rain

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nah, I think big name Japanese wrestlers hugging their child hood heroes is the best

https://twitter.com/burgersama/status/855255724393463810

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Shaezerus posted:

Wizard's toy gimmick is definitely the easiest to take seriously out of everything Rider's put out in roughly a decade. The last five years alone have been video game cartridges wielded by doctors, eyeballs that summon ghosts made of coats, tiny sentient cars, samurai fruit padlocks, and then there's Wizard with magic rings.

that's why you show Double

people are primed for Gaia Memories because the Switch just came out

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
I'm catching up on Ex-Aid, just finished ep 24.

So...Kuroto was Kira Yoshikage and Ren Amagasaki is the greatest being of all time, right? Like seriously, I think I dreamed him.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Please send help, I cannot stop marathoning Kuuga. I'm up to ep 11 already and having a blast, even if some of the drama can be really ham-handed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wizard peaked with Phoenix getting kicked into the sun.

Double had the best collectible gimmick. Gaia Memories are amazing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please send help, I cannot stop marathoning Kuuga. I'm up to ep 11 already and having a blast, even if some of the drama can be really ham-handed.

The fastest and easiest way to quit marathoning Kuuga is to finish Kuuga. -thumbs up-

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The fastest and easiest way to quit marathoning Kuuga is to finish Kuuga. -thumbs up-

I'm already up to episode 13, which is incredibly rare for me. I - I guess I'm gonna have to try to do this! Wish me luck!

Also - also also I took a breather from Kuuga's serious nature by letting myself get curious enough to watch Kyuranger (only what, ten eps so far?) so I could watch it along with everyone else, and... help I am charmed. I am super charmed. This show is dumb in gloriously fantastic ways, and yes, I know, get back to Zyuogher post-haste as that has the same vibe.

Also, Burkion: I'm back into Ultra Seven. Got in a weird mood yesterday, just blitzed eps two and three, and... it's cheesy old X-Files with bonus Kaiju fighting in the last half. As long as I have momentum to watch all of these toku shows, I'm gonna keep up with it! (And Nexus - Nexus I am coming for you, your summary looks like something I'll love, but I don't want to dig into you quite yet.)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shaezerus posted:

Wizard will never stop being disappointing. The costumes were so drat cool :negative:

But yeah. Wizard's toy gimmick is pretty reasonable. It's magic rings made from a hosed up glowing rock.

So is W's- like, Gaiamemories are pretty self-explanatory. It's a USB drive that you stick into a horrible Cronenberg socket on your body, and it downloads superpowers into you.

Fourze's toy gimmicks are pretty digestible, as well. They're little widgets that, at a glance, just look like junk from drawers in an electronics parts store, which is intended.

I agree with the general assessment of Drive and Gaim- there's a really thin line between "a collectible widget that's toyetic" and "oh it's literally a toy". Fruit-lock that transforms into a suit of armor just crosses that line, but Drive's are like, straight-up hot wheels cars. And I say that as somebody who liked Gaim and Drive a lot.

Ghost's worst sins include the clumsy rate of introduction of Eyecons like "WE GOTTA GET A NEW ONE EVERY WEEK GO GO GO". I think they were about on par with Fourze in terms of actual toy-likeness, though. It's just a weird widget with picture that flips inside it. And I liked the "jacket" aesthetic for the souls, in large part because it carried over into the monster design.

Ex-Aid's gimmicks are a unique edge case. They're obviously toys- it's a video game cartridge. However, even moreso than Drive, where it was convenient to disguise the Shift Cars as toys, everybody in universe agrees that their devices are definitely toys, or at least derived from them. Hell, the bad guys eventually market an evil Gashat to people as an actual video game-like product. This is in line with Gaim, somewhat, where Lock Seeds were distributed as "toys" in order to further a conspiracy, but differs slightly in the fact that all the Gashats were originally actual video games in the fiction, and the Gashacon Drivers are just somehow leveraging the powers of the Bugster Virus to project infected copies of those games into the real world as weapons and armor.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Wizard's rings are boring as hell though. There's no belt upgrades, just shinier rings. I think Gaim nailed it with the swapping faceplates so you can have your favorite rider on the belt, and the Kachidoki lock also being part of the Kiwami Arms configuration meant that the penultimate upgrade maguffin didn't lose its playability as it so often does. Especially when the final upgrade is the "all powers in one" variety.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm already up to episode 13, which is incredibly rare for me. I - I guess I'm gonna have to try to do this! Wish me luck!

Also - also also I took a breather from Kuuga's serious nature by letting myself get curious enough to watch Kyuranger (only what, ten eps so far?) so I could watch it along with everyone else, and... help I am charmed. I am super charmed. This show is dumb in gloriously fantastic ways, and yes, I know, get back to Zyuogher post-haste as that has the same vibe.

Also, Burkion: I'm back into Ultra Seven. Got in a weird mood yesterday, just blitzed eps two and three, and... it's cheesy old X-Files with bonus Kaiju fighting in the last half. As long as I have momentum to watch all of these toku shows, I'm gonna keep up with it! (And Nexus - Nexus I am coming for you, your summary looks like something I'll love, but I don't want to dig into you quite yet.)

Good luck man! And yeah that's the trick with UltraSeven- it's more about fighting random aliens of the week than it is about fighting monsters. Some episodes UltraSeven barely even appears

His series remains unique in that... in tokusatsu, they almost always ignore power differences. This guy is the monster of the week, so he must get a good fight scene, no matter how much stronger the heroes really, REALLY are. Even if the heroes could kill them in one shot with their finisher, they won't.

UltraSeven throws that out the goddamn window. If the thing he's fighting can't survive one of his finishers, that he will throw out at a moment's notice, they die and the fight is over. It just makes the big fights all the more impressive, for the time, because the big fights are against things that are equals to him.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DoctorWhat posted:

that's why you show Double

people are primed for Gaia Memories because the Switch just came out

OOO is the most OOOsome one to show on any network.

Burkion do you dig Ultraman Max? Looked cool to me, I hear it's one of the more formulaic ones at times though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

OOO is the most OOOsome one to show on any network.

Burkion do you dig Ultraman Max? Looked cool to me, I hear it's one of the more formulaic ones at times though.

Ultraman Max is the closest thing we get to an anthology show in the franchise.

I wouldn't' say it's formulaic though. The whole deal with Max is that it has a set cast of characters that are pretty light in terms of character depth, and every episode or every couple of episodes is some famous director or writer taking their own stab at Ultraman using them as a template.

So outside of, say, a new finisher being introduced and then being used periodically, there is virtually no continuity from episode to episode. Even in the original series, there was character development- not as much here. With the original series, there was this steady progression to the Science Patrol becoming more and more competent, creating stronger and stronger weapons, until they were finally able to stand on their own.

So Max is THE series to skip around on.

The two Miike episodes, 15 and 16, are really good and also utter opposites of one another.

So I'd recommend finding a good episode guide, finding what looks good to you, and diving in.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007/06/03/ultraman-max-official-episode-guide/

If you'd like a pretty indepth one

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, thanks! Coincidentally I was just looking into some Miike movies I haven't seen in other browser tabs, Deadly Outlaw Rekka etc. That guy is everywhere.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I FORGOT ABOUT OOO. OOO has arguably the *least* toyetic gimmick out of recent Riders, since that seems to be what we keep getting stuck on.

Like, out of the "talking belt" era, it's very low-key. They're just coins! Especially for the secondary rider, whose entire rider system is fully coin-operated, and he eats into his own paycheck by using precious Medals as ammunition :v:

It gets a little dicey in the final 25% or so, but I think it has one of the better "Rider loses much of his humanity as he stares into the void" arcs, and the final episode has really strong endings for the character drama arcs.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The draw to OOOs is the supporting cast, because nearly everyone else in the show that isn't Eiji, the main rider is fantastic. Although they do try and explain why he's so bland It's because of PTSD leaving him an empty shell, thus making him the perfect empty vessel for desire

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Eiji is actually pretty good for a "bland" rider. He's not stupidly idealistic and is capable of being clever, and a lot of situations were solved by his wits. Every motw was basically solved by understanding who made the monster and what they wanted. And it took a lot of work to reign in ankh and keep that truce.

Compare that to takeru "the KEY" tenkuji who never really thought throw anything and stuff just solved itself anyway because he universe loved him. Like when the monster actually had a civilian's mind, and he never figured that out and murdered it anyway but nothing bad happened. There's also the entire kouji and micchy situation to compare to, though that being infuriatingly naive was kind of a point.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I liked in OOOs that for like 70% of the series Eiji didn't know how to fight at all and he just swung around blindly.

Then once he got Tajador he just suddenly became a martial artist and it was weird.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love that OOOs just eschewed the idea of a final form all together.

Like okay sure we'll have the form that I guess is supposed to be important, but eh gently caress that, let's use the actually coolest one instead for the last fight.

It's what Double should have done, and the one thing Double failed at compared to OOOs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I love that OOOs just eschewed the idea of a final form all together.

Like okay sure we'll have the form that I guess is supposed to be important, but eh gently caress that, let's use the actually coolest one instead for the last fight.

It's what Double should have done, and the one thing Double failed at compared to OOOs

The actually coolest one is also the one with the most thematic significance in that fight, it's Ankh sacrificing himself for Eiji so they can kick the evil doctor weirdo guy in the nuts and save the world, giving up his own desires and benefit for someone else

Double didn't really have that because all of their forms were Shotaro and Philipe combined so you can do the ending with basically any form

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the biggest problem with the final form in w is that it didn't leave a body for akiko to struggle to drag away in the background

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm sorry, but I think this thread just implied that PuToTyra isn't cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's fine

It's nowhere near as good as TaJaDor though. That's just the best goddamn thing, especially the SIC version of the final TaJaDor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Stallion Cabana posted:

I liked in OOOs that for like 70% of the series Eiji didn't know how to fight at all and he just swung around blindly.

Then once he got Tajador he just suddenly became a martial artist and it was weird.

It made thematic sense, but it made for some of the worst fight choreography in the entire franchise(made worse by the show having really bad usage of it's gimmicks and some very noticeable budget problems as well)

• Locked thread