Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm the Ornstein wannabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pawl posted:

Crossposting from the sIgmar thread

hahaha that's awesome

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be a lot of salt with these Mariniest marines....

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The 40k thread is taking being entirely wrong about bigmarines very, very well.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pawl posted:

It's not "stealth squatting" because it is neither stealth nor squatting. Think of it like a soft reboot. You can still play your oldmarines, but don't expect any new stuff in that line.

The space marine range had become far too bloated and the designers probably felt constrained by the ever-expanding range. Working from a clean slate gives them more creative freedom.

Tomb Kings are still playable and are actually one of the best armies in AOS so I wouldn't consider them "squatted". They're even mentioned in the fluff a few times.

They just aren't making the models any more

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
You're still wrong no matter what thread you post in

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Is it wrong to be this right.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When you think about it, it's kind of a good thing really. Now when you are starting an army, you can decide whether you want to play one of the pivotal forces that is going to get a centerpiece in all the stories and new releases all the time, and start playing Sigmarines (or Bigmarines, if you're in 40k). But maybe that isn't for everyone! And now, if you're the kind of person who prefers to loiter on the sidelines of history and prefer the accomplishment of owning everything for a force instead of always needing that next release, you can go ahead and buy Tomb Kings (or Space Wolves or whatever for 40k). Sometimes it's easier being an NPC.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Ashcans posted:

And now, if you're the kind of person who prefers to loiter on the sidelines of history and prefer the accomplishment of owning everything for a force instead of always needing that next release, you can go ahead and buy Tomb Kings (or Space Wolves or whatever for 40k). Sometimes it's easier being an NPC.
More like "wish you could buy", right?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well I mean you can still buy them, just not from GW :v:

(I actually forgot that they didn't just stop updating them but also completely axed the entire lines as well)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TTerrible posted:

The 40k thread is taking being entirely wrong about bigmarines very, very well.

I dont know why you keep posting like this is a slam dunk own?

like I feel where your coming from, but I dont think anybody cares :/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Moola posted:

I don't think its a slamdunk own. I'm absolutely aware noone in the 40k thread cares.

I'm having my own little thing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh ok

keep on keeping on then friend <3

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
"haha skeletons"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress you say?!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Moola posted:

It's funny when people call you out for something and then it turns out you were right all along. I've been saying for a while now that bigmarines are part of their attempt to reboot the space marine line, and now it's looking like that was exactly their plan all along. It's not even a bad thing exactly; games get new models all the time, and sometimes they're not even the same size thanks to scale creep or other factors. The way they seem to be soft-rebooting them is a little weird though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i like big bois

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:rip: Manlet Marines

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Moola what do you think of this Eurovision entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1fN0R5vXY

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's funny when people call you out for something and then it turns out you were right all along. I've been saying for a while now that bigmarines are part of their attempt to reboot the space marine line, and now it's looking like that was exactly their plan all along. It's not even a bad thing exactly; games get new models all the time, and sometimes they're not even the same size thanks to scale creep or other factors. The way they seem to be soft-rebooting them is a little weird though.

Yeah, agreed. It feels like they don't want to piss people off who already have a million space barbies, so they're just tiptoeing around the issue with like a negative amount of grace.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The Bee posted:

Yeah, agreed. It feels like they don't want to piss people off who already have a million space barbies, so they're just tiptoeing around the issue with like a negative amount of grace.

Yup. The models are basically identical to what you'd imagine a "truescale marine" to look like, so it really seems like this is just how they want marines to look. Which is totally fine, since the old marines really didn't line up with the art depicting them. The soft-reboot is just hokey though, not least because it implicitly acknowledges that regular marines are supposed to look stumpy and that it wasn't just a series of unfortunate sculpting decisions.

A part of me wonders if they really want an AoS-style reboot of the setting but, due to the backlash from AoS, are just doing it gradually in a "boil the frog" scenario. That way, they can just say it's the story progressing along a particular path, even though 3 years later the setting might be all but unrecognizable.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yup. The models are basically identical to what you'd imagine a "truescale marine" to look like, so it really seems like this is just how they want marines to look. Which is totally fine, since the old marines really didn't line up with the art depicting them. The soft-reboot is just hokey though, not least because it implicitly acknowledges that regular marines are supposed to look stumpy and that it wasn't just a series of unfortunate sculpting decisions.

A part of me wonders if they really want an AoS-style reboot of the setting but, due to the backlash from AoS, are just doing it gradually in a "boil the frog" scenario. That way, they can just say it's the story progressing along a particular path, even though 3 years later the setting might be all but unrecognizable.

Exactly! They're also more elite statwise, come in smaller unit sizes, and are being used to replenish basically every legion. Their crunch matches the Space Marine fluff better, and in fluff they seem like they're basically the most efficient option. They also have special vehicles apparently, which is really weird for what is being called an extra unit choice or subfaction.

I don't think they want a full reboot, but between the Eldar renaming and now the Tau's new tactical apostrophe, I think we might be getting another round of extraneous renaming.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They're pretty clearly dealing with a huge investment that was made with the intention of Sigmarring the marine lines specifically (and 40k in general), but which the new management and their marketing research people obviously realised was a company threatening disaster waiting to happen.

You can't write off kits designed and moulds milled without significant loss and a huge gap in the sales schedule, so they're slotting them in as elegantly as they can. I'd be surprised if the traditional sized marines go away completely, any time soon but I can see them being winnowed down to the level of Chaos Cultists within the marine lists in the next few years.

The real question is how they handle the named characters. I wouldn't be surprised if in ten years time we have the same characters and suits of armour, but all at the Primaris size.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The real question is how they handle the named characters. I wouldn't be surprised if in ten years time we have the same characters and suits of armour, but all at the Primaris size.

I'm fully expecting them to write some thing about how they figured out a way to enhance the best marines into big marines.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I watched a game of AoS on youtube on MWG and I've realised what's striking me wrong with it - it really seems alot like MtG, X-Wing, etc. in a competitive scene - in the sense that you build these one-trick pony armies and hope to get your TRAP CARD ACTIVATED first to be able to completely win the game with some kind of alpha strike.

One list was all boar riders who can move 15" on the first turn in addition to charging/moving (i.e. turn 1 charge). The opponent was a Wood Elf list that put forests all over the board and then teleported all of their Tree giants and tree herders straight into the most fortuitous positions to capture objectives. Compare that to the old WD article from way back talking about the way a certain WD staffer enjoyed playing WHFB - avoiding netlists (tbh I think this was mid 90's so likely just avoiding 'competitive' lists), he would be playing with 'the same' army each week against various opponents in different scenarios to work out how best to use his units, be they advantaged or disadvantaged over the span of a multi-turn, multi-phased game.

Also, watching MWG trying to play Shadow War Armageddon and was aghast at the lovely rules I'd forgotten about when reminiscing about 2nd Edition. Long life Firefight (thank you dear goon, whoever pointed me in that direction).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So are BigTanks a thing alongside BigMarines?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They're pretty clearly dealing with a huge investment that was made with the intention of Sigmarring the marine lines specifically (and 40k in general), but which the new management and their marketing research people obviously realised was a company threatening disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not sure they needed a justification beyond, "The old Marine designs (which are broadly the same as the plastics that launched in 3e almost 20 years ago) are starting to show their age, and we wanted to create some new designs that better reflected the art that portrays them."

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Where have the trolls from the 40k thread gone?

*checks 40k thread*

Oh.

OH

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Not yet. Those are just Warhammer World exclusive kits for a pair of command tanks. Nothing new, they've been around for a while.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Is it just me or did they miss the opportunity to have a Stan Lee cameo Marine on that LR?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Safety Factor posted:

Not yet. Those are just Warhammer World exclusive kits for a pair of command tanks. Nothing new, they've been around for a while.

I like the name. Introducing the 2018 Rhino Primaris, rated #1 in safety over all minivans.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I like how the Rhino's name (Primaris) is the same as the name for the bigmarines. They could have maybe talked to the other departments to make sure they weren't reusing names for the same faction like that!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

I like how the Rhino's name (Primaris) is the same as the name for the bigmarines.

That's why I thought they were connected. I thought that was a BigMarine with BigHeadTorso mode.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Moola what do you think of this Eurovision entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1fN0R5vXY

its bad

but not nearly as bad as this song made by a dude I used to hang out with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdZ_C33IZU

worth a listen if you want a laugh, its bad

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Moola posted:

its bad

but not nearly as bad as this song made by a dude I used to hang out with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdZ_C33IZU

worth a listen if you want a laugh, its bad

Not fond of the vocals but it's actually not bad

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its loving terrible

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I barely pay attention, what's the deal with bigmarines?

Are there tons of marines being thrown up on ebay as we post?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
here have a better skeleton song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not gonna lie; bigly marines look good. If they had just come out and said - "This is what marines look like now! Enjoy!" - I don't think anyone would be mad. What am I saying, of course people would be mad :v:
Sort of like if Starcraft 2 was just an updated Starcraft 1, instead of what they ended up doing and well... I wouldn't even watch if there was no Tastosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'll paint some cool new bigmarines and also play with my old marines because I'm not a tantrum throwing toddler. I'm a grown up big man that collects miniature fascist supermen.

• Locked thread