Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean what are they going to do? Leave them on the floor. I'm sure people don't want to be tripping over a bunch of spare Data dick's all the time.

They could pile them up in a Rubbermaid like they did with B4 in Nemesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Man you lot are so grumpy. It's like the best time in literally decades for shows about cool space ship crews having cool adventures, with The Expanse being loving great, the best show on tv right now, Discovery being good and Picard show coming up and looking cool IMO. I hear Seth McFarlane has one as well for those who can tolerate his face and voice.

And all you can do is bitch and moan.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Good news for this guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All of those pointy-eared characters around Picard are apparently Romulans

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of those pointy-eared characters around Picard are apparently Romulans

For a second I thought one was DISCO :spock:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

marktheando posted:

Man you lot are so grumpy. It's like the best time in literally decades for shows about cool space ship crews having cool adventures, with The Expanse being loving great, the best show on tv right now, Discovery being good and Picard show coming up and looking cool IMO. I hear Seth McFarlane has one as well for those who can tolerate his face and voice.

And all you can do is bitch and moan.

The reason people aren't happy with that situation is that they don't consider Discovery a good show, and the Picard trailer doesn't look like a good show, and Expanse is a great show but doesn't scratch the Star Trek itch

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

The reason people aren't happy with that situation is that they don't consider Discovery a good show, and the Picard trailer doesn't look like a good show, and Expanse is a great show but doesn't scratch the Star Trek itch

It's always the same poo poo. If you don't buy into the hype you're grumpy or impossible to please or whatever the gently caress.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CJ posted:

Didn't he spend a few centuries in some basement in america at one point?

See, but he was turned off, so the program wasn't running.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tighclops posted:

It's always the same poo poo. If you don't buy into the hype you're grumpy or impossible to please or whatever the gently caress.

I like how a complaint against MacFarlane got tossed into a post about other people being needlessly cranky.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1152939303565025280?s=19

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway, the trailer got me thinking about Star Trek aesthetics and then I wondered: what would happen if they took the same approach to a Star Trek today that they did with TNG? The philosophy of TNG's set design was basically "a nice place to work, particularly in tech, but extrapolated toward the future." Most Treks after TNG tried to make the sets look more like a military submarine extrapolated to the future. The exception is Discovery, which in spite of everything else wrong with the show did have good set design sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptU5r4jlsI

You can't appreciate it in the show itself though, because of the camerawork, narrow depth of field, the glare it inherited from JJ Trek, and how aggravatingly bad everything happening on the sets is. The quality of the set design isn't really consistent either, but at least on the bridge - the most important place - it does have more of the quintessential Trek feel than the 2000s Treks did.

So you could use elements or principles from that when making the New TNG set. It would have to be brighter of course, but I like the idea of the lighting being more reactive so you can still get spacey dark shots sometimes. In emergency situations where you needed maximum power things would darken, which makes sense both for the mood and plot logic. Yes, I stole that idea from Yesterday's Enterprise. It would also be cool if the lighting was blue or pure white when it was "morning" and warmed to incandescent white or amber later in the day, since it would communicate the passage of time and also be real sci-fi based on how lights affect our circadian rhythms.

But getting back to the TNG philosophy, you'd probably be taking inspiration from silicon valley aesthetics. Maybe this

But with even more plants, kind of like those beautiful concept pieces for the TNG movie (can't remember which one).

You could also get into specifically "startup" aesthetics, with the uncovered ceilings, spot lighting, hardwood/weird-carpet-pattern floors, haphazard colors and thrown-together decor but I think that might be a bit much for what's technically a military vessel, plus some people have negative associations with these kind of places

But another place to look, especially for private quarters is modern luxury hotels

Even though it would be much smaller than that, and with ostentatious parts like the light fixtures being converted into more weird or sci-fi elements like they did with the ceiling of the TNG bridge. And just weirded up in general to find the sweet spot where it's exotic but still comfortable

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 21, 2019

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1152889561359572992

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
You can not tell me Dorn's not going to strap the forehead waffle again. He must be clawing at the production office's window like a cat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In more important news, a really interesting cut sequence was released today from the the deep space nine archives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblS6bef1Gg

I think this pretty strongly cements some of the most effective themes of the show, and it's too bad that they clearly just ran out of time :(

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 21, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jewel Repetition posted:

But getting back to the TNG philosophy, you'd probably be taking inspiration from silicon valley aesthetics.

Hold on, I thought you said you wanted to draw on nice places to work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

In more important news, a really interesting cut sequence was released today from the the deep space nine archives

link

I think this pretty strongly cements some of the most effective themes of the show, and it's too bad that they clearly just ran out of time :(

lmbo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hopefully they de-age AND re-age him so he looks like this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope the super-serious single-camera Picard character study show checks in with Grand Negus Rom.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Golden Gael posted:

Keeping all the Data parts in a drawer reminds me of Blade Runner 2049, don' they do that or something very similar?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I hope the super-serious single-camera Picard character study show checks in with Grand Negus Rom.

Deep Space 9? What's that?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So we don't even know it's Data though. Could just as easily be Lore or more likely B-4.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ asses

Maybe we’ll get Lore too. Gotta give Spiner a chance to do the other voice he knows how to do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pascallion posted:

Hoping Q shows up as his current age and it’s implied it’s just to tease Picard about growing old.

I was thinking about if Picard just wakes up like once every six months and heads out to his grapevines and Q is sitting on his porch dressed as Napoleon or whatever the gently caress, Picard facepalming.

Or if Q has gotten tired of loving with him and now just drops in occasionally to old dude chill out with him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jealous Cow posted:

Maybe we’ll get Lore too. Gotta give Spiner a chance to do the other voice he knows how to do.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lol @ fat data

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Croatoan posted:

So we don't even know it's Data though. Could just as easily be Lore or more likely B-4.

I mean, essentially it's both Data and B4, as far as anybody knows, unless there's some other explanation hidden up their sleeve -- not that I can really see how it would matter. I'm under the impression we're all using those names interchangeably.

I guess it's still a mystery why he's disassembled. (Unless I'm just totally forgetting how he was at the end of Nemesis... which is possible...) Maybe B4 had some wires crossed that kept him from being as good as Data. Maybe they said "don't blow up Romulus" and he heard "blow up Romulus" and so they took him apart after that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yo just saw the trailer and jesus christ please just make an excuse for old data, that was terrifying. There's a million easy ways to not do whatever the hell that was.

I was surprised by the trailer in general. I wasn't expecting it to be nu-style and actiony, especially since Picard was older and it sounded like it was going to be kind of lowkey. I liked Discovery (plus, it got the two bad first seasons out of the way and season 3 will be good in the traditional fashion) and it's designs, but it felt more like a movie than it did star trek in terms of cinematography. This seems to have that same thing. I think that anchors it to that feeling of Trek more so than just the designs and aesthetics of spaces.

Also, Picard is now a rogue pilot now and is involved with helping to protect a tiny girl with incredible strength and intelligence and tragic backstory? I did always want another season of Firefly.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jealous Cow posted:

I want to see an episode where Picard has to help the Wheelers.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jealous Cow posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I kept this secret for months and he just...EW’d it out.

To attempt some positivity, best things in DISCO:
1) The scene where Michael logics the computer into letting her out of the cell.
2) Michael’s hair
3) Pike

Seriously, though, I find SMG’s portrayal of Michael compelling, I’m just generally not impressed by the material.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Alex Kurtzman has no idea who Lore or Lal are.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblS6bef1Gg

Now that’s good television.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, essentially it's both Data and B4, as far as anybody knows, unless there's some other explanation hidden up their sleeve -- not that I can really see how it would matter. I'm under the impression we're all using those names interchangeably.

I guess it's still a mystery why he's disassembled. (Unless I'm just totally forgetting how he was at the end of Nemesis... which is possible...) Maybe B4 had some wires crossed that kept him from being as good as Data. Maybe they said "don't blow up Romulus" and he heard "blow up Romulus" and so they took him apart after that

Romulus was destroyed when Spock tried to use Red Matter to save the Romulans from their star exploding.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Davros1 posted:

Romulus was destroyed when Spock tried to use Red Matter to save the Romulans from their star exploding.

It was a different star that went supernova, and the shockwave traveled faster than light and was powerful enough to destroy star systems light years away because reasons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

^^^ asses

Lore's basically just Spiner being himself.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I kind of feel that I should re-watch Nemesis to prepare for Picard because I haven't seen it since it was first released and can't remember most of the poo poo that happened in it. I remember Tom Hardy and his bat-thing sidekick, some cool shots of Romulus, a holodeck scene where they are dressed as old timey sailors, and uh that's about it.

I do remember how bad it was though so maybe this isn't the best idea.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Old-timey sailors was in Generations, unless I've really blocked out Nemesis.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

marktheando posted:

I kind of feel that I should re-watch Nemesis to prepare for Picard because I haven't seen it since it was first released and can't remember most of the poo poo that happened in it. I remember Tom Hardy and his bat-thing sidekick, some cool shots of Romulus, a holodeck scene where they are dressed as old timey sailors, and uh that's about it.

I do remember how bad it was though so maybe this isn't the best idea.

Maybe this is their master plan. Make Nemesis an important touchstone for STP, so that fans gear up by watching the most dog poo poo terrible Star Trek of all time, making their own show seem like a masterpiece by comparison.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pascallion posted:

To attempt some positivity, best things in DISCO:
1) The scene where Michael logics the computer into letting her out of the cell.
2) Michael’s hair
3) Pike

4) Saru
5) Tilly (season 1, before the writers lost the balance and made her annoying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MorgaineDax posted:

Old-timey sailors was in Generations, unless I've really blocked out Nemesis.

poo poo that's right