Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yeah, the crowd is what ruins it for me. I want to hang out with actual car guys, not a bunch of whiny white self-absorbed Baby Boomers from north of 14 mile with just enough cash on their third mortgage to buy that '65 Mustang they've always wanted.

Anyway, content. Here's what I think about the crowd at Dream Cruise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Phone posted:

This morning's Jalopnik car ad is loving ridiculous:

I want it I want it I want it I want it

http://californiacar.com/hcity.htm

I had to go check this out, 100hp and 1,800lbs? That thing would be HILARIOUS to drive. I need this car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's 108hp + the 2.5 from the scooter, so technically 110.5hp. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DoesNotCompute posted:

I had to go check this out, 100hp and 1,800lbs? That thing would be HILARIOUS to drive. I need this car.
You'd have loved the old Citroen AX GTi, they were 100bhp in 1,800lbs. Less once bits started falling off. Nothing fancy, just a fuel-injected 1.4 in a very small, tinny car.

Have you seen the Smart ForTwo "off roading" advert that Jalopnik put up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dkjtQdJzI

While it's amusing, I now really want Fiat to respond with a Panda 4x4 one and a big dose of :smug:.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Not gonna lie, this gotta a good laugh out of me.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

So it can keep her rear end planted but what about the chin?

You till the field with it.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

meatpimp posted:

Not a) in the US, registered and legal or b) in that kind of shape. I was surprised at 20k, I thought it would be somewhat higher. Such an awesome little car (with bonus folding minibike!)

[...]

gently caress me, is that "turbo II" decal mirrored so people can read it in their rear-view mirror? Awesome.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Phone posted:

It's 108hp + the 2.5 from the scooter, so technically 110.5hp. :v:

DoesNotCompute posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but my father owns 3. Yes they are hilariously fun to drive. So much wheel spin all the time, Ive never seen my mother chirp the wheels so much. Ill snag some photos when I am up visiting in a fortnight.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
So I went to Taiwan for a couple of days, awesome place btw, highly underrated. Anyway, I saw a few cool cars (and a lot of ricers) there.

Old Mercedes limo

Lambo Gallardo, which seems common enough around the greater China region

But look closer! Behind the Gallardo, there is a new Beetle RSI! From what I read, the RSI wasn't the best hot hatch, but I still enjoy seeing an unusual car, especially in a random residential district in Taipei of all places.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TE37 SLs are neato and very much money. RIP Rotas you were cool but then you cracked on the Ring.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Just some cars parked outside an office in England:

Jalopnik have a 12000x3888 uncropped version too
:awesome:

I feel I must buy two more monitors and make this my background

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

JingleBells posted:

Just some cars parked outside an office in England:

Jalopnik have a 12000x3888 uncropped version too
:awesome:

I feel I must buy two more monitors and make this my background

I work at a print shop, and need to cycle the ink in our large format printer. Think I just found out my "test' print image. Awesome.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

zinc68 posted:

I work at a print shop, and need to cycle the ink in our large format printer. Think I just found out my "test' print image. Awesome.

I would LOVE a huge print of that picture. I have a weak spot for McLaren though.

Lately I've really been getting into turbocharged S2000s.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
All that work and crappy turbo destroying foam filters. :(

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Two turbos on an I4 ruined it way before. :ssh:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

DJ Commie posted:

All that work and crappy turbo destroying foam filters. :(

I thought foam filters were better than open element stuff like k&n, airraid, etc..drat, there goes any intake upgrade on my Jeep..

Here, have some awesomeness from my honeymoon in Gettysburg..

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Devyl posted:

Lately I've really been getting into turbocharged S2000s.

Octopus Magic posted:

Two turbos on an I4 ruined it way before. :ssh:

Cattiness aside, can anyone explain why one would want twin turbos on an I-4 application? Or is this just a "because I can afford it" showcar frivolity?

See also: content

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Stardotstar posted:

Cattiness aside, can anyone explain why one would want twin turbos on an I-4 application? Or is this just a "because I can afford it" showcar frivolity?

See also: content

As long as you use two smaller turbos on two cylinders each, you'll get pretty close to the same thing as one bigger turbo. But it's mostly just to say "Yeah well I have a twin-turbo S2000".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Stardotstar posted:

Two small turbos for reduced lag but still able to throw in more air than a larger single or could be set as sequential, with one small turbo for low revs and a bigger one for high revs. Twin turbos do work on an I4, but like anything you need to set it up right for the application you want to use it for otherwise of course it wont work. But that's exactly the same as any mods.

Now, what the comment about twin turbos ruining a I4 is utter rubbish and while most of the work on that car is good, it's a pity they havent got the air intake anywhere near right. That's gonna be breathing in a whole lotta hot air no matter how good or bad the filters are.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

No, I'm pretty sure it's dumpy lowered ShoW CaRZ logic, and would be better served by any modern single turbo setup.

It's not 1989 anymore. We have better tech than this.

Edit: Also foam filters are fine, but HKS has a pretty bad reputation.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 10, 2013

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Does this only apply to an I4 or is the Subaru twin turbo boxer total wank too?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Does this only apply to an I4 or is the Subaru twin turbo boxer total wank too?

Yes, but for other reasons than just that. The twin turbo Legacies have a really distinctive changeover period that's a lot like getting punched in the face on midrange and they're a nightmare to work on. They're also just not fast enough to justify the extra weight, expenditure and complexity.

Tons of them get imported here and then put up for sale basically immediately or are converted to single turbo if the owner is particularly bad with money.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 10, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Octopus Magic posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's dumpy lowered ShoW CaRZ logic, and would be better served by any modern single turbo setup.

It's not 1989 anymore. We have better tech than this.

Edit: Also foam filters are fine, but HKS has a pretty bad reputation.

But what about dual turbo Eagle Talons?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sudo Echo posted:

More cars should come with cooled glove boxes for drinks, that's loving awesome.

Toyota's had cooled center consoles for the 80 series, 100 series and 200 series Landcruiser's in the Sahara spec.

The 100 series will hold a two six packs of cans and get down to 0 degrees!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Multiple turbos are still a thing for diesel engines. GM has a twin turbo I4 in production right now.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Christ, just put a loving twin scroll on and call it a day.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Octopus Magic posted:

BMW has a similar setup on the 335D... it must be done for a reason.
drat things still have lag but I think it mostly comes down to the autotragic.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BlackMK4 posted:

I think diesel engines by their nature flow more air than an equivalent sized gasser?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Courtesy of imgur:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Multiple turbos are still a thing for diesel engines. GM has a twin turbo I4 in production right now.

Octopus Magic posted:

BlackMK4 posted:

No.

We have variable geometry turbos now, so it isn't a response/volumetric issue. What the setup in the GM picture is doing is exactly what a VGT does, just ten times more costly and complicated. I don't get it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

No.

We have variable geometry turbos now, so it isn't a response/volumetric issue. What the setup in the GM picture is doing is exactly what a VGT does, just ten times more costly and complicated. I don't get it.

I think multiple turbos will provide boost across a wider rpm range. A VGT is on variable on the hot side, it's still only got the airflow characteristics of one turob, this on the other hand can even take advantage of the magic of compound boost.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

I think multiple turbos will provide boost across a wider rpm range. A VGT is on variable on the hot side, it's still only got the airflow characteristics of one turob, this on the other hand can even take advantage of the magic of compound boost.

Yes, which would make sense for a petrol engine, but not a diesel. Diesels have such a narrow useable range that I don't really see the point. Even with petrol, cars like the 911 turbo indicate that having two parallel VGT's is superior to a sequential setup. I'm not really wording this very well but sequential turbos seem pretty dead in the water compared to VGT on a diesel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The 335D runs the small turbo until the big one is spooled, compounds, and then drops the small turbo off. I'd imagine a VGT setup still gives up bottom end versus a sequential setup... the 997TT definitely has some lag (at least with modded stock housing turbos).

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 11, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

Of course it's done for a reason, Twin scroll and VGT arent magic - they dont get over the fact a turbo only works within certain parameters for optimal effectiveness. A twin turbo or a super/turbo setup is theoretically a better solution and moreover obviously a better solution.

In practice of course, that not true - it's a complex and expensive to engineer one. When done right it works and works exactly as well as theory says it does. The downsides of weight, complexity and cost, with the fact you really need a lot of engineer time to get it right in the first place pretty much outweigh the advantages and why it's a rarely seen solution. Diesel throws in another parameter however that bends the equation back to at least "worth a look" - diesels can handle considerably more boost than a petrol motor and can work over a wider spread of boost ranges.

(This poo poo is obvious but I'll go through it anyway) So you go a big turbo to take advantage of the extra boost and have a laggy engine or a smaller turbo for a engine that responds from 1500 rpm but runs out of huff at 4000 - that's where the twin turbo setup is going to be worth it. And given on a diesel it's not going to be bothered by the kind of boost you would be kinda getting worried about in a petrol engine well..... it's now worth the time to engineer.

The only twin turbo diesel I've driven is an Amarok and I gotta say I was really impressed how well it worked. It felt more like a low revving V8 rather than a smallish I4.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cat Terrist posted:

Of course it's done for a reason, Twin scroll and VGT arent magic - they dont get over the fact a turbo only works within certain parameters for optimal effectiveness. A twin turbo or a super/turbo setup is theoretically a better solution and moreover obviously a better solution.

In practice of course, that not true - it's a complex and expensive to engineer one. When done right it works and works exactly as well as theory says it does. The downsides of weight, complexity and cost, with the fact you really need a lot of engineer time to get it right in the first place pretty much outweigh the advantages and why it's a rarely seen solution. Diesel throws in another parameter however that bends the equation back to at least "worth a look" - diesels can handle considerably more boost than a petrol motor and can work over a wider spread of boost ranges.

(This poo poo is obvious but I'll go through it anyway) So you go a big turbo to take advantage of the extra boost and have a laggy engine or a smaller turbo for a engine that responds from 1500 rpm but runs out of huff at 4000 - that's where the twin turbo setup is going to be worth it. And given on a diesel it's not going to be bothered by the kind of boost you would be kinda getting worried about in a petrol engine well..... it's now worth the time to engineer.

The only twin turbo diesel I've driven is an Amarok and I gotta say I was really impressed how well it worked. It felt more like a low revving V8 rather than a smallish I4.

I understand this - what I said wasn't meant to be taken literally. If you were in the US I'd give you a ride in a tuned 335D ;)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The difference is that a diesel has to deal with more airflow, a gas engine has a limited range of compression ratios that it runs at, with an upper limit determine by detonation. A diesel is running higher compression with no throttle, it's going to be flowing more air even if the rpm range is narrow

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I was visiting a friend's garage to pickup some parts for my car today, upon pulling up noticed he had his dust shelf of a 993 911 Turbo outside (they were moving cars to put mouse traps, haha.) I hadn't notice his license plate previously:

Then I noticed a new addition to the fantasy factory:

1 of 10 (I've been told) in the US. It will lead a life exclusive to the next season of Lotus Cup!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Regarding turbos, I did a writeup for my thread. Feel free to ask anything there:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post414450582

Short answer is twin turbos can be set up for a wide power range, or a buttload of power in a certain range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

thealphabetsez posted:

Then I noticed a new addition to the fantasy factory:

1 of 10 (I've been told) in the US. It will lead a life exclusive to the next season of Lotus Cup!
How many Lotus cars are there in America anyway? I'm at a military base within spitting distance from Laguna Seca and there's an orange Lotus of some sort floating around here, and I saw it on post today. The exhaust sounded pretty crazy.