Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Like, I don't feel like any rational person blamed GWB for 9/11; it's not his fault a bunch of terrorists did what they did. I just want to know if the anti-Hillary camp has any coherent justification at all.
Rational people do and should blame Bush for 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

article 1 section 2 of the constitution

Sorry, I should have clarified. I know that it is the way it is because it is written into the Constitution. I was more curious as to the reasoning behind it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

congress > president > senate > supreme court in order from closest to the electorate to furthest away, and it's baked into what their duties are and how long their terms are.

This was to keep things that the country needed but maybe people didn't like from being overruled by the whims of popular opinion.

Cool, thanks

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JerikTelorian posted:

I just want to know if the anti-Hillary camp has any coherent justification at all.

No.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

emdash posted:

as if to answer Pence saying there's too much discussion of institutional racism in policing: http://www.myajc.com/news/news/state-regional/ga-deputy-fired-for-racist-facebook-posts-targetin/nskWb/

continues at the link

I choose to write these off as exceptions that in no way reflect on the rest of policing in the US.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There typically is -- minority voters (who typically are lower income and don't get off for off-year elections as easily as general elections) have historically lower mid-term turnouts. Off-year elections also tend to have shorter hours, less early voting, etc etc which can effect turn out by people working shift work (e.g., largely lower income)

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2014/11/06/100627/why-young-minority-and-low-income-citizens-dont-vote/

Though as a counter point, I think 538 said that trend seemed to be changing in 2014's mid-terms.

Sean McElwee had a good post that discussed this at Demos - Why The Voting Gap Matters

nerdy but likable left-liberal guy you know from twitter posted:

After studying 30 years of data at the state level, William Franko, Nathan Kelly and Christopher Witko could not find any year in which low-income voter turnout was higher than high-income voter turnout.7 Recent research by Benjamin Page, Larry Bartels, and Martin Gilens suggests that the super-rich members of the top 1 and .1 percent turned out to vote in 2008 at a whopping 99 percent. This compares to only 49 percent turnout for citizens earning less than $10,000.8 In midterm elections, the voting gap is even more pronounced. In 2010, only 26.7 percent of citizens earning less than $10,000 voted, while 61.6 percent of those making $150,000 voted.9 Voter turnout is heavily biased towards high-income voters (see Figure 1).

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

In a just world "Gosh, why do we even have to bring up institutionalized racism?!" would be heralded far and wide as the worst thing Pence said at the debate.

I dunno, at least he's not getting off the hook with "that Mexican thing."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

JerikTelorian posted:

So, Benghazi is brought up all the time by the anti-Hillary crowd, but I've never seen any justification or argument about it, they just say "Benghazi". Do people have an actual narrative for why it is her fault, or is it just that she happened to be on the same planet when it occurred?

Like, I don't feel like any rational person blamed GWB for 9/11; it's not his fault a bunch of terrorists did what they did. I just want to know if the anti-Hillary camp has any coherent justification at all.

pretty much yeah, they bring up different things about the specifics of the attacks to baffle with bullshit, but it's mostly just that clinton was secretary of state when the attacks happened.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
In ye olden days, political campaigns were a means for the average voter to get drunk on a rich man's hooch. Two years was seen as the maximum tolerable dry period between campaigns.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

GalacticAcid posted:

Sean McElwee had a good post that discussed this at Demos - Why The Voting Gap Matters

Yep a lot of it has to do with the fact that getting time to vote in an off-year election is a lot harder for you when your poor and there's less mobilization, less early voting, and shorter voting hours.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Everywhere should do mail-in ballots like Oregon :colbert:

(it even comes with a pamphlet about all of the candidates and ballot measures)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

If Dems get 50 seats in the senate (+Kaine), would that be enough to get through all of Hillary's Supreme Court picks? or do they need a super majority?

As it stands, you need a supermajority in order to force a vote, which itself only requires a majority.

It only takes a majority to hold that you don't need a supermajority to force a vote though.

Procedure!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiohazrD posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. I know that it is the way it is because it is written into the Constitution. I was more curious as to the reasoning behind it.

The entire US system is based on avoiding large amounts of change. Since only a third of the Senate is re-elected at a time, even if you had a massive wave in one direction, it would be tempered.

Likewise, even though the House is elected every two years, if there's a massive wave but there's also a lot of backlash after they're in power, it's easy to get rid of them instead of waiting 4 years.

Magres posted:

These have been proven to increase midterm turnout, although they don't actually raise Presidential election turnout that much.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Its kind of fun explaining to dumbasses why this joke is not funny to people who don't know any better on Facebook.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Magres posted:

:agreed:

The post office should handle voting at least for federal elections, both by mail in voting and having walk up polls open for a week before the election cutoff date.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Magres posted:

:same:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Mail in voting is a huge pain in the rear end and I don't think it's shown to actually increase turnout.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Making election day a federal holiday, however.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Washington also has mail-in ballots.

Can confirm it is awesome. :hfive:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Magres posted:

I wish. In Texas you can only mail in your vote if you will be out of the country, really old, and some other bullshit. But expanded mail in ballot initiatives will die in any Republican controlled state, since making it easier to vote is more beneficial to Democrats.

I already can register to vote by mail! Just let me finish voting by mail!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/evale72/status/783735979492466692

Don't call them deplorables though! That's offsides!
i don't even get why that lady was yelling at her??? if that woman is bringing her kid to a trump rally, she's probably already in the pocket for trump.

Or did they just see a disabled kid and have a PTSD flashback about that time trump made fun of a disabled reporter

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I said base voters, not democrats in general. Grassroots activists.

Remember when Sanders lied to those very same grassroots activists and choose big money donations over them?

Because they certainly do and that's why his revolution fell apart.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Mail in voting is a huge pain in the rear end and I don't think it's shown to actually increase turnout.

What? How is having as much time as you want to vote from home and then dropping it into a mailbox a "huge pain in the rear end?"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WampaLord posted:

What? How is having as much time as you want to vote from home and then dropping it into a mailbox a "huge pain in the rear end?"

I should have been more clear -- it's a pain in the rear end administratively. (Disclaimer: I've spent a lot of time, including an entire year of my life, working in voting registration and elections.)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

i don't even get why that lady was yelling at her??? if that woman is bringing her kid to a trump rally, she's probably already in the pocket for trump.

Or did they just see a disabled kid and have a PTSD flashback about that time trump made fun of a disabled reporter

a significant portion of trump voters are just enraged and i'm sure at least one or two of them will automatically assume "disabled child in view -> paid for with my tax dollars -> yell at welfare queen"

people with anger problems and/or anxiety get set off over nothing, and trump is the anger candidate. moderate trump supporters who are turned off by this outrage definitely do not go to rallies so it's a self selection thing

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

How is it a huge pain in the rear end? Grab a pencil, take ten minutes to fill it out, and drop it in a mailbox on your way to work. It's like half as much effort as actually going to a voting place.

Regarding voting day as a federal holiday, a lot of places (especially lower income jobs) don't give workers the day off for federal holidays. Wouldn't it exacerbate the current problems where low income voters have way worse turnout than high income voters?

E: Oh okay administratively it's a pain in the rear end, fair.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yep a lot of it has to do with the fact that getting time to vote in an off-year election is a lot harder for you when your poor and there's less mobilization, less early voting, and shorter voting hours.

Actually, “Low voter turnout is a sign of a content democracy."

-Mitch loving McConnell

Also, Obama has expressed support for making Election Day a Federal holiday. There's a stalled Senate Bill introduced to that effect, introduced by a Senator Bernie Sanders.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magres posted:

Regarding voting day as a federal holiday, a lot of places (especially lower income jobs) don't give workers the day off for federal holidays. That would literally exacerbate the current problems where low income voters have way worse turnout than high income voters.

Yep, there's actually no mechanism by which the Federal Government can force people to take a specific day off. It's all tradition.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Making election day a federal holiday, however.

Making Election Day a federal holiday won't do poo poo outside of guarantee that the people who already vote will vote (or go on a 4 day weekend).

I mean, it's definitely an end goal, but there are steps in between that need to be enacted. For example, about 4 decades worth of deferred labor reforms.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Even if mail-in voting is a pain the rear end to administrate, having it give us a more fair democracy where you can't have your civic right to vote snatched away from you by your employer and your need to pay for food/rent seems pretty important to me.

Otoh I'm also pro compulsory voting (with an option, on the ballot, to abstain, it just means voting is opt-out instead of opt-in) and I'm guessing there are people who will think that's abhorrent (and I'm certainly interested to know why if anyone does)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember when Sanders lied to those very same grassroots activists and choose big money donations over them?

Because they certainly do and that's why his revolution fell apart.

That group is having some growing pains but a few of their candidates did win primaries.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Phone posted:

Making Election Day a federal holiday won't do poo poo outside of guarantee that the people who already vote will vote (or go on a 4 day weekend).

I mean, it's definitely an end goal, but there are steps in between that need to be enacted like about 4 decades worth of deferred labor reforms.

Making it a federal holiday and making a law that requires people give you at least an hour of compensated time to go vote. Also having "at large" voting areas near large population centers. With electronic balloting and digital voting records, there's no real reason to keep precinct oriented voting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Magres posted:

Even if mail-in voting is a pain the rear end to administrate, having it give us a more fair democracy where you can't have your civic right to vote snatched away from you by your employer and your need to pay for food/rent seems pretty important to me.

"Sorry (not sorry), but it looks like The Free Market decided that you don't get to vote. "

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Compulsory voting is the only way to increase voter turnout at this point. Making election day a holiday will just mean people will go on vacation and not vote.

Hell, I vote by mail so I don't have to deal with Election day.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I should have been more clear -- it's a pain in the rear end administratively. (Disclaimer: I've spent a lot of time, including an entire year of my life, working in voting registration and elections.)

Yea, you should have been more clear.

But also, tough poo poo. Deal with it, it's better for people.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

In regards to making election day a federal holiday, wouldn't that only benefit some people, while your average worker still has to work that day? Practically all retail employees wouldn't get the day off, that's for sure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

I entirely agree.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Yea, you should have been more clear.

But also, tough poo poo. Deal with it, it's better for people.

I am not sold that it is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/12/21/voting-only-by-mail-can-decrease-or-increase-turnout-wait-what/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ban campaigning more than a year out from an election.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Making it a federal holiday and making a law that requires people give you at least an hour of compensated time to go vote.

my workplace has posters in the break room about how we're entitled to 2 hours paid time off to vote. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Ban campaigning more than a year out from an election.

Seriously. This poo poo has just gotten exhausting, plus it's a waste of people's time.

• Locked thread