Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

For the record, I don't think they will fire Pederson if he loses, I mean I think they should. He's had plenty of time to put together 60 or so plays that Foles can run, especially when around half of them will be running plays. If he can't make a decent showing against the Falcons with a mediocre QB like Foles, at least enough to let the defense win the game, how can one make the argument that all of his success isn't due to Carson Wentz?

Because success/failure isn't determined by a single game?

Firing a coach for losing a single game is insanity unless something really egregiously dumb happened. Nick Foles being a sucky QB is what you have to work with and whether Pederson can get him to play not-lovely is almost entirely out of his control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Firing a coach for losing a single game is insanity unless something really egregiously dumb happened. Nick Foles being a sucky QB is what you have to work with and whether Pederson can get him to play not-lovely is almost entirely out of his control.

Especially with all the things that have come out with "hey we're looking at the tape and seeing what worked with him under Chip and pulling out some of those plays/verbiage"

Doug, from everything we've seen, has done his job regarding "putting him in a position to succeed" so no, he shouldn't be crucified if Foles plays like rear end

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

Well it wouldn't be one game. It would be three games, or at least 9 quarters, that the offense will have failed to perform.

And what would be the argument that any other coach in the league couldn't have gotten the same performances or better out of Wentz? And what's the reason for keeping the least experienced coach in the league around if he's just riding on the success of a prodigy QB?

(the only real reasons would be that they can't find a better candidate available and/or they can't find another coach weak enough to accept having no real power over player personnel.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Would be a shame if the eagles won the same amount of playoff games this year as the cowboys.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I thought NWP was joking but it now appears he is just generally batshit.

Tell me you're joking mate ?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It's important to keep in mind that Atlanta is a veteran team and in good health. Just look at how they handled the Rams, and Goff was healthy.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
One other thing: I personally don't like that the backup QB gets absolutely no snaps with the first team in practice. Obviously the starter should get the overwhelming majority of the snaps, but it seems sensible to give your #1 backup at least a little time in case disaster strikes.

But what does it say about Pederson that the only time Foles hasn't looked like complete dogshit this season was when he came in cold, fresh from his no-coaching-from-Pederson bubble. Is it unreasonable to think that Foles might have actually played better after a week of getting coached by Pederson while running with the 1s? against one of the worst defenses in the NFL in the Raiders?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Reminds me of my favorite quote about the Colts under Peyton Manning:

Ron Jaworski posted:

As we watched, we were surprised to see Manning taking virtually all the reps in the session. Jon [Gruden] asked Tom [Moore, the Colts offensive coordinator,] why he wasn’t giving some snaps to Peyton’s backups…He looked at us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, “Fellas, if ‘18’ goes down, we’re hosed. And we don’t practice hosed.”

e: It's not even crazy. The list of backup backup QBs that won a super bowl after the starter went out to a season-ending injury is basically just Plunkett and Warner. You want your first-team offense to be as good as it can be.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 8, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

One other thing: I personally don't like that the backup QB gets absolutely no snaps with the first team in practice. Obviously the starter should get the overwhelming majority of the snaps, but it seems sensible to give your #1 backup at least a little time in case disaster strikes.

But what does it say about Pederson that the only time Foles hasn't looked like complete dogshit this season was when he came in cold, fresh from his no-coaching-from-Pederson bubble. Is it unreasonable to think that Foles might have actually played better after a week of getting coached by Pederson while running with the 1s? against one of the worst defenses in the NFL in the Raiders?

You do it because you want your starter to be the best he can be and your backup exists only to not quit the season in shame.

Or you could just be the vikings and have your backup be better than the starter.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

El Patron posted:

I thought NWP was joking but it now appears he is just generally batshit.

Tell me you're joking mate ?

I was calling him "interim coach Doug Pederson" from the day he was hired. Yes, he won me over somewhat with wins, but I think it's reasonable to analyze his performance and question whether he's the best coach to lead this team in the future.

How many wins did Carson Wentz pull out of his rear end with crazy plays that few other QBs could have made? That's not coaching. That's QB talent.

And the "It wouldn't be fair to Doug" argument is meaningless to me. Would it be fair? No. But who cares? gently caress Doug Pederson. The team and the city owe him nothing. They gave him an incredible opportunity that nobody else would have ever given to him.

Ask yourself this: If the Eagles did fire him, do you think anyone else would give him a head coaching job? You're lying to yourself if you think they would. I doubt he'd get an OC job, which he only had in KC thanks to some classic Andy Reid nepotism. So yeah, if you have a coach that just won 13 games and he probably couldn't get another job in the NFL above the level of position coach, then I think it would be folly if you didn't replace him if the right candidate was available.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Reminds me of my favorite quote about the Colts under Peyton Manning:

e: It's not even crazy. The list of backup backup QBs that won a super bowl after the starter went out to a season-ending injury is basically just Plunkett and Warner. You want your first-team offense to be as good as it can be.

I understand this sentiment, and the corollary "If you have a QB controversy, you don't have a #1 QB", but if that's the philosophy you're going to go with, you don't bring in a backup on a 2 year, $12.5 million deal.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
what

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Yes, that's actually what Nick Foles makes. I assume he's the highest paid backup in the league, and he makes more than multiple starters, including Carson Wentz.

edit: reminder: The Eagles actually paid Chase Daniel $7 million a year because Doug just had to have him.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 8, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

I understand this sentiment, and the corollary "If you have a QB controversy, you don't have a #1 QB", but if that's the philosophy you're going to go with, you don't bring in a backup on a 2 year, $12.5 million deal.

It's 7.6M this year and it isn't the dumbest idea (Also, isn't signing Foles as backup and his contract on Roseman, the team's GM?). You are paying your backup to ideally get you through a stretch of 2-5 games where you have a non-catastrophic injury like a concussion, a broken collarbone, or a cracked rib and you need to not lose every single game over that time period. You do not plan for the backup being the guy to take your team to a championship when you lose the starter for a full year, though. There are worse positions to spend a few extra bucks on.

e: Also lol Foles makes more than Wentz this year

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's 7.6M this year and it isn't the dumbest idea (Also, isn't signing Foles as backup and his contract on Roseman, the team's GM?). You are paying your backup to ideally get you through a stretch of 2-5 games where you have a non-catastrophic injury like a concussion, a broken collarbone, or a cracked rib and you need to not lose every single game over that time period. You do not plan for the backup being the guy to take your team to a championship when you lose the starter for a full year, though. There are worse positions to spend a few extra bucks on.

e: Also lol Foles makes more than Wentz this year

I agree with all that.

But more to the heart of the matter, if the decision was up to you and you could replace Jason Garrett with Doug Pederson, would you?

Are there any Giants fans out there that would be excited about having Doug Pederson named to be your next coach?

Before you instinctively say no, I will point out that he did lead Calvary Baptist Academy to a district title less than ten years ago.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 8, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jason Garrett loving sucks, come on

Arent we the same posters that said Wentz would bust hard if he was on the Browns

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jason Garrett loving sucks, come on

Arent we the same posters that said Wentz would bust hard if he was on the Browns

If garrett was fired today, who the gently caress would the cowboys even be able to hire?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

They can hire me

4 verts all day, every play

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

" posted:

" post="480055150"]
If garrett was fired today, who the gently caress would the cowboys even be able to hire?

Idgaf it would be an improvement.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Can someone be probated for being a loving retard?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Believe me, you’d know

(Sorry it was teed up!)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm glad the NFC East remains fraudulent

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dec 4 2016 and still true as ever

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm deeply sorry about your fraudulent division

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

What is this, Nazi Germany?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Amy Pole Her posted:

Believe me, you’d know

(Sorry it was teed up!)

lol got em

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
As a Seahawks fan, who has been blessed with both great coaches and terrible coaches and has no dog in this fight, NotWearingPants is a loving retard.

Are you saying the whole team carried Pederson this year and last? If you're going to say that Pederson made Nick Foles worse through coaching, then you also have to give him credit for Carson Wentz being hot poo poo this year through coaching. He coached both of them. You cannot hand wave that away.

It is also entirely possible that Nick Foles isn't that good.

This is also his first head coaching stint - the team has gotten remarkably better his second year as a whole. Coaches also learn - not everyone is fuckin Jeff Fisher. If the team has gotten better under him and his coaching, if he loses a single playoff game after a fuckin' awesome year, you'd fire him? You dingus.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

Believe me, you’d know

(Sorry it was teed up!)

:negative:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Eagles own, Pederson is a good coach, Big Dick Nick will save us all.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Wentz should be cut as well if the Eagles lose. His irresponsible choice to run the ball and get injured robbed us of a sure Super Bowl victory. We aren't going to get over the hump without a more intelligent decision maker. Sudfeld is the future.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The best case scenario is that an unfortunate series of injuries causes the eagles to sign Kaep just in time for the NFCCG, which he wins handily, proving all doubters and haters wrong. Then he goes on to win the Super Bowl, kneels on the Lombardi trophy, and pisses on the flag as fireworks go off in the background.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

windshipper posted:

Are you saying the whole team carried Pederson this year and last? If you're going to say that Pederson made Nick Foles worse through coaching, then you also have to give him credit for Carson Wentz being hot poo poo this year through coaching. He coached both of them. You cannot hand wave that away.

It's not ever completely one or the other, is it?

There have been two things that have carried this team: defense and QB play. As a Seahawks fan, you may not be aware that Head Coach Doug Pederson has absolutely no power over the defense. That was given to Schwartz in its entirety. And the league is apparently so impressed with Pederson's work with Carson Wentz that the Eagles QB coach, John DeFilippo, is being considered for head coaching jobs, potential bypassing a step as an offensive coordinator entirely. Both of them may be gone next year.

Pederson was a safe choice at the time because they needed a coach and there weren't any great candidates available, so they went with someone who didn't have the resume to object to "We're giving you no power over the defense or player personnel."

And for the record, I think I'm the only Eagles fan here predicting an Eagles win over the Falcons? They should win. They are a much better team. And Doug Pederson should be able to put together 60 plays in the 5 weeks he's had since the Carson Wentz injury that do enough to not blow a game Jim Schwartz's defense will probably practically hand to him. But if he can't, are we expecting improvement as his key coaches begin to take jobs elsewhere? Or I guess we can just wait until Carson Wentz comes back and throws touchdowns from beneath a pile of defenders and say "Doug really designed the poo poo out of that play."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

And for the record, I think I'm the only Eagles fan here predicting an Eagles win over the Falcons? They should win. They are a much better team.

I love how quickly Eagles fans swung from talking about how Carson Wentz is an MVP QB who elevates the team (unlike noted 'only good because of team around him' QB Prescott) to talking about how Wentz is easily replaced by Nick Foles and the Eagles' team is too good to be hurt by the loss of Wentz.

For the record, I think the drop-off is pretty dire. Foles' only good performance was against the hapless Giants in a road game that felt more like a home game. Even with that game bolstering his stats, he's significantly less accurate with a major dropoff in yards per attempt compared to Wentz. The Eagles may still beat the Falcons, but it won't be because of Nick Foles' ability to step up and be a great quarterback after years of mediocrity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the falcons don't score any points the eagles have a chance

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

If you don't think Wentz is the legitimate league MVP, then you haven't watch Philly at all over the past few weeks.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

I love how quickly Eagles fans swung from talking about how Carson Wentz is an MVP QB who elevates the team (unlike noted 'only good because of team around him' QB Prescott) to talking about how Wentz is easily replaced by Nick Foles and the Eagles' team is too good to be hurt by the loss of Wentz.

For the record, I think the drop-off is pretty dire. Foles' only good performance was against the hapless Giants in a road game that felt more like a home game. Even with that game bolstering his stats, he's significantly less accurate with a major dropoff in yards per attempt compared to Wentz. The Eagles may still beat the Falcons, but it won't be because of Nick Foles' ability to step up and be a great quarterback after years of mediocrity.

Nobody is saying Wentz is easily replaced by Foles. Sure, some people were having fun hyping Foles, but it was obviously tongue-in-cheek stuff. But the Eagles are not without offensive tools without Wentz. They have a pretty good rushing attack and an RB in Ajayi who is averaging close to 6 ypc since joining the team. I don't expect them to beat the Saints (after the Saints beat the Vikings) but I think they have enough to beat the Falcons.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Football Outsiders says the drop-off in DVOA is about that of Rodgers->Hundley which seems right to me.

They still have the #1 defense which is why people are hopeful.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The D, plus a running game in the playoffs is sometimes worth more than a QB.

If Foles can at least play semi-decently and not turn the ball over we have a good shot.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Everyone always thinks they're special when they think the eagles will win when people are doubting them. There are other optimists, nerds.

At least our NFCE team made the playoffs after all!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Literally nobody is saying this. A handful of people have suggested that a win might still be possible with Foles at the helm because the D and running game are good. Many others are humorously suggesting that Nick Foles is a first-ballot hall of famer who will crush [insert opposing team here] because whiny posts about how we're probably hosed are unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is wisniewski healthy ?

• Locked thread