Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chadzok posted:

the optimist in me tells me that this is getting out ahead and pre-empting any potential fraud bullshit taking hold in our electoral/political system, but that voice is just a doubtful sounding whisper now

the optimist would be making a lot more sense if voter fraud was something we had any real issue with, but we plainly don't

it's just to make it harder for certain demographics to vote. not only will they not be able to legally vote, they'll get the financial punishment for not voting. win-win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's a fuckin American scam bro

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JBP posted:

It's a fuckin American scam bro

the 'australian way' is that participating in the scam is also mandatory

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hashy posted:

You're in a country that is testing full blown denialism as a covid strategy

93% of adults being vaccinated isn't working out for Ireland right now. They had 13 ICU beds available in the whole country yesterday and their cases are still going up.

Dropping the mask mandates at 90% is the dumbest loving thing. We might get away with it at first but I reckon we'll at least get a winter surge if we don't prepare for it with proper NPIs.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the icac hearing over gladys and daryl has been pretty fun so far and keeps getting better after lunch

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-28/nsw-icac-live-updates/100572290

quote:

GB: You don’t see it, I don’t want to argue with you, I just need to go and chill because you’ve stressed me out.

DM: Alright I'll go and chill, you just throw money at Wagga

GB: I'll throw money at Wagga, lots of it, don’t you worry about that.

GB: I'll throw money at Wagga you just have to do what’s right on your end otherwise you'l kill me

DM: No no its' fine I'm batting for ya. You just need to know what the right things are to throw money at in Wagga

GB: I already know, you’ve already told me the top three things

DM: You need to go and give them a stadium

GB: I'll do that, I'll do that too

DM: Well the bureaucrats knocked us all out

GB: But yes I can over rule them

gladys is back in for another round of testimony on monday. given that this is all just building to a recommendation from the icac, rather than any legal finding, i doubt any actual consequences will be forthcoming. but it's all a pretty wild look at how the corrupt sausage is made

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Phigs posted:

93% of adults being vaccinated isn't working out for Ireland right now. They had 13 ICU beds available in the whole country yesterday and their cases are still going up.

Dropping the mask mandates at 90% is the dumbest loving thing. We might get away with it at first but I reckon we'll at least get a winter surge if we don't prepare for it with proper NPIs.

I agree with your point that high levels of vaccination aren't enough and dropping mask mandates and NPIs is a bad idea, but we are hopefully in a better position w.r.t ICU beds than Ireland which has a notably dysfunctional healthcare system. They have half the ICU beds per capita than Australia and one of the lowest rates in the OECD.

We did poach a lot of their healthcare workforce, something like 300 Irish doctors move to Australia every year (they graduate 1200/year)

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Sierra Madre posted:

For anyone not aware:

What a baffling proposal. I mean, we know why this is coming up, but I can't recall any election in the last ten years where voter fraud was even discussed.

Oh for gently caress's sake. This poo poo not surfacing and being nearly impossible to implement is why I held up mandatory voting as actually a good thing.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
How do postal votes work under the proposed voter id requirements?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

I fully expect that within the decade we'll see the Coalition arguing we should remove mandatory voting.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

I fully expect that within the decade we'll see the Coalition arguing we should remove mandatory voting.

They have been low key arguing it since the '80s

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sierra Madre posted:

What a baffling proposal. I mean, we know why this is coming up, but I can't recall any election in the last ten years where voter fraud was even discussed.

I kept half an eye on the House today at work and apparently this was actually recommended by a parliamentary committee report (and is in place in a lot of European democracies, not just the US). But those committees are obviously half LNP in the first place and I don't find it hard to imagine this being pushed in the party room for the very same reasons the Republicans are so keen on it.

Labor, to their vanishingly rare credit, were extremely fiery about it today and explicitly called it voter suppression and said it was to disenfranchise immigrants, Aboriginals etc. Good on them for calling it out for what it is immediately.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

.... has there been any voter fraud other than politicans being done by the AEC?

Alleged mailout vote stuffing at aged care homes by the libs lol.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

Same as they always have - LNP staffer comes to your retirement home and fills out the ballot for you.

Probably not too dissimilar to how they work now - kind of like a declaration vote. You'd write your name, address, sign it, and mail it in.

One of the articles said that people who couldn't produce ID would do a declaration vote at the polling station and put in their DOB, address etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

alright lets get started

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freebooter posted:

I kept half an eye on the House today at work and apparently this was actually recommended by a parliamentary committee report (and is in place in a lot of European democracies, not just the US). But those committees are obviously half LNP in the first place and I don't find it hard to imagine this being pushed in the party room for the very same reasons the Republicans are so keen on it.

Labor, to their vanishingly rare credit, were extremely fiery about it today and explicitly called it voter suppression and said it was to disenfranchise immigrants, Aboriginals etc. Good on them for calling it out for what it is immediately.

I honestly thought we already had voter ID requirements given I flash my driver's license every election up until a few years ago. It would be similarly surprising to a lot of voters as well.

Anyway a touch under 300 cases of Covid in NSW, this really is bizarrely low.....? Thought it would have taken off again even with the vaccination numbers

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

yoloer420 posted:

Follow the strategy of some states republicans, claim it increased the fraud with nothing to back it up and then appoint someone to the auspost board to really gently caress it up

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

the nick xenophobe ego trip will 100% support this

This loving dud said this was incredibly important because he found out some pensioner with dementia voted 5 times.

Never mind the fact that the AEC caught it and followed up.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

please!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh not for me today, thanks Officer Snout.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

alright lets get started

You oppose Santos sinking another 5000 CSG wells but you had a beef burger once! How curious!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

alright lets get started

What a disingenous sack of poo poo. He's truly the turd that refuses to flush.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

SuddenCactus posted:

Follow the strategy of some states republicans, claim it increased the fraud with nothing to back it up and then appoint someone to the auspost board to really gently caress it up

And then after spending a year alleging fraud in an election that didn't even happen yet, spend the year afterwards enacting some of the most insane disenfranchisement ever seen since the Jim Crow days! Oh and close every single place you can get ID.

EDIT: I mean these fuckers made it illegal to hand out water or food at 10+ hour long voting lines (because they removed all the polling places and options), the absolute naked "we are desperate to stop people from voting" on display is both ridiculous and depressing for the fact that it keeps winning them elections.

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 28, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The most bizarre thing about this bill is that voting is, uh, mandatory in Australia. This is where the importation of American culture war tactics runs headlong into existing Australian authoritarianism.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
What I like about mandatory voting in Australia is that I thought it was much harder to disenfranchise people.

Turns out you just disenfranchise poor people, and then fine them for not voting too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"gently caress anyone that isn't us" is the LNP way after all

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

The most bizarre thing about this bill is that voting is, uh, mandatory in Australia. This is where the importation of American culture war tactics runs headlong into existing Australian authoritarianism.

Whoah there, you're violating my first amendment rights!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyway a touch under 300 cases of Covid in NSW, this really is bizarrely low.....? Thought it would have taken off again even with the vaccination numbers

Incredibly encouraging, but Hunter New England is now getting the most cases and regional travel will be (officially) allowed again come Monday. The next couple of weeks will make or break us. Our immunisation rate is now moving at a snail's pace, although I expect it will pick up again when approval is given for 5-11 year olds.

Hopefully Victorians can find some encouragement in how thinngs have played out in NSW since opening up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freebooter posted:

What else is bizarre is that this Voter ID BS really only works when you make it very hard to *get* an acceptible govt ID. That's not really the case in Australia, there's a bunch of ID's you can use that are readily obtainable.

Also in regards to other voter suppression tactics, the various election authorities have spent so much time on making voting as easy as possible and with the Aust attitude of "fuckit, lets do cool poo poo like Democracy Sausages and school fetes" it doesnt even make a lick of sense to be trying to adapt US style BS in a completely different enviroment.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

it doesnt even make a lick of sense

Yeah but the yanks are doing it so culture war demands the Libs do it too

This isn't the first time they've floated it either

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

No wonder OUR GLADYS decided to pull the pin, the texts and phone transcripts coming out of ICAC are just :psyduck:

I'm surprised she didn't see the writing on the wall earlier, or was just trying to coast along as "my people need me!"

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah but the yanks are doing it so culture war demands the Libs do it too

This isn't the first time they've floated it either

About 20 years ago NSW voters got sent a voter ID card. We didn't have to apply for it. I'm not sure what happened to the plan for it's use, but I had mine in my wallet for years as just another form of government issued ID.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

No wonder OUR GLADYS decided to pull the pin, the texts and phone transcripts coming out of ICAC are just :psyduck:

I'm surprised she didn't see the writing on the wall earlier, or was just trying to coast along as "my people need me!"

What I've read has been pretty damning.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Given our electoral roll it seems easy to send electors a card they can use. I don't understand why you'd waste money on this though.

E: given I can't see it reaping a shady reward for the coalition like it might in lesser democracies

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Australian is planning to launch a youth section of the newspaper, aptly named The Oz. Unconfirmed reports say it will be online only and will have a strong social media presence.

News Corp is advertising for a senior digital designer and social media staff for an “energetic startup” and is offering the “opportunity to design the brand from scratch”, according to ads on seek.com.au.

There are few clues to what content is planned but the ad says the design style is “bold and refined”. It is certainly a bold idea to attract a young audience to what is traditionally seen as a brand for old white men.

“Drive the audience development of a new publication within the News Corp family, targeting a young audience through a strong social strategy,” the job ad says.

We asked the editor-in-chief, Christopher Dore, for comment but he didn’t reply.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Oh dear. Just saw that some of the ICAC stuff calls Perrottet's integrity into question. This is getting interesting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Thank god young libs are out of touch, humourless idiots. Awaiting "a jam with scott" type content. Either that or "how to avoid paying tax on the money your parents gave you to pay your first home." Either way unless they get a bannon type to run it 100% going to fade away in a year or two

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Maybe the ID thing is just another grift for someone’s mate they’ll outsource to.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Get your Koala card from an approved retailer. 200pts of ID required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Hopefully coming up to the election Morrisons condemnation of the NSW ICAC picking on poor Gladys can be used to add to the argument for a federal version.