Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In lighter news https://twitter.com/pvermillions/status/1496133137319043082?t=4-NHxKOx3Y6EjLEAQkDPfw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

not sure but i think its a violation of international law to try to control airspace like that for civilian or commercial aircraft. its technically an international area.

Article I of the Chicago convention recognizes “complete and exclusive sovereignty over the airspace above it’s territory.” First freedom is not absolute.

You’re correct that you can’t ban civil traffic over international waters, but you can damned well deny them air traffic control services, which is an effective ban for basically any air carrier in existence.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

The poor Ukrainians, haven't they suffered enough?!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

i am a moron posted:

That’s really not what anyone should be worried about, the cloud still isn’t where banking mainframes or SCADA systems are located. ‘The cloud’ is also way more secure and reactive than the bullshit people have to deployed to their own data centers

I’m not worried about it, I’d take a couple free days off because everything I work on is being ddos’d

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Can the G7 actually do anything about SWIFT without the board's agreement?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

finally a victory against cancel culture.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

There's no way he's in the country, right? I can only imagine being the people that actually show up through all this and get mad when he no-shows

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Starks posted:

Can the G7 actually do anything about SWIFT without the board's agreement?

SWIFT is a Belgian LLC, they can get clapped whenever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can someone explain why this is a bigger deal than Russia's war with Georgia? It's the same thing, right, separatist regions, Russia goes in to support them, then goes further and invades the rest of the country. So why are people freaking out way more now?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

selec posted:

I’m not worried about it, I’d take a couple free days off because everything I work on is being ddos’d

Lol well I’m worried about SCADA and whatnot personally, if someone wants to knock out a thousand Shopify sites go for it. I don’t think it will come close to economic damages from sanctions

szary
Mar 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSbpyxFC24k&t=100s

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Can someone explain why this is a bigger deal than Russia's war with Georgia? It's the same thing, right, separatist regions, Russia goes in to support them, then goes further and invades the rest of the country. So why are people freaking out way more now?

Are you just asking questions about a full scale military land invasion in Europe in 2022?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is this the NATO aggression I have been told about?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: Thread moderation update :siren:

My emphasis on NATO culpability or lack thereof has definitely decreased now that the war has actually begun, but discouraging discussion of one of the two main reasons mentioned for invasion by the leader of the belligerent power (the other being flat out revanchism on his part) in the name of discouraging boring posts while gems like 'Putin is doing this because he has a small penis' or 'Putin wants to kill 40 million Ukrainians' seem to be acceptable feels a bit like it's positions that are being moderated rather than low content/boring posts.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Georgia is not Ukraine

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

It's bigger, more importantly Russia's goals go beyond capturing separatist regions, hey want to do a full regime change and exterminate all their "enemies". The scale is also on an entiely different level, in Georgia they weren't sending armored columns and paratroopers to ake over Tbilisi and murder Sakashvilli.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

OwlFancier posted:

Is this the NATO aggression I have been told about?

NATO is going to invite Putin for a backstage visit and then unzip its pants mid-conversation...

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Come the gently caress on dude

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Well, it's in the other direction firstly. Second, Ukraine is much bigger and has/had a functional European-style democracy with a semi-serious discussion about joining NATO. They are also, ostensibly, a US ally. Georgia was barely more than a Russian satellite rebublic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gripweed posted:

One major difference is that with Georgia Putin never went on a giant meltdown about Georgians being invented by Bolsheviks and requiring "denazification", and similarly threatening rhetoric towards the West. Other than that, grander scale of things, and the age of social media/profiteering news companies.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Sinteres posted:

My emphasis on NATO culpability or lack thereof has definitely decreased now that the war has actually begun, but discouraging discussion of one of the two main reasons mentioned for invasion by the leader of the belligerent power (the other being flat out revanchism on his part) in the name of discouraging boring posts while gems like 'Putin is doing this because he has a small penis' or 'Putin wants to kill 40 million Ukrainians' seem to be acceptable feels a bit like it's positions that are being moderated rather than low content/boring posts.

Has it occurred to you that Putin is flatout loving lying about his justifications? Putin has given like 10 reasons why he ordered the invasion, none of which stand up to anything more than academic scrutiny.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

There's no way he's in the country, right? I can only imagine being the people that actually show up through all this and get mad when he no-shows

He is apparently actually there to make up for tours he cancelled in 2020 and 2021 https://www.chortle.co.uk/punching-ups/2022/02/13/50174/ukraine-crisis-now-louis-cks-heading-in

Guess third time's the charm eh Louis?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Is there a Russian USO equivalent? Because I think Louis’s going to be doing shows for them by wars end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the russians blow up louis ck that is definitely going to be a propaganda win on all counts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pook Good Mook posted:

Has it occurred to you that Putin is flatout loving lying about his justifications?

Every time you peel another layer, there's another defense of Putin underneath it. Oh, he's lying? Well, it must be because he has a good reason, you just don't see it! It's so tiring.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Has it occurred to you that Putin is flatout loving lying about his justifications? Putin has given like 10 reasons why he ordered the invasion, none of which stand up to anything more than academic scrutiny.

Of course it has, but it's now strongly discouraged itt to discuss whether that motive is true or not, so we'd best steer clear.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Gripweed posted:

Russia did not expand military operations to a full scale invasion of Georgia?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

It is true though, he has a tiny dick.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kaal posted:

Johnson spent much of last month fending off a no confidence vote due to his COVID party scandal, so I'm sure he's eager to get in front of some fresh news.

Saw someone say that while Johnson has been pretty friendly with the oligarchs' interests, he's also has a long and consistent history of throwing former allies under the bus to save his own skin.

And his skin is in need of saving right now.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Sinteres posted:

I think if your views re NATO being culpable for this are in any way aligned with those of Candace Owens (and they are) you should consider shutting the gently caress up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Randarkman posted:

Also, a noted Bald Bitch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Are you just asking questions about a full scale military land invasion in Europe in 2022?

...yes? That's indeed what my question was about.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A loving defensive alliance is not to blame for Putin's bloodlust for Ukranian territory or his revisionist thoughts on Lenin being a Nazi. He's just a fascist who wants Greater Russia, that's it

No NATO did not do this, no there is no defending Putin, and Russia is at this point probably the most dangerous state actor on Earth, and NATO is very much showing why it exists right now. Hope this helps clarify some things.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AveMachina posted:

Also, a noted Bald Bitch.

Very short, too. With a weasel face

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Randarkman posted:

How do you know?!?!?

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Sinteres posted:

Of course it has, but it's now strongly discouraged itt to discuss whether that motive is true or not, so we'd best steer clear.

Honestly, just make a new thread in D&D title it “NATO: [the root of all evil?][you made me do this]” (optional titles in brackets, either should work) and then everyone can circle jerk on the same arguments over and over again in that thread

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

A loving Defensive alliance is not to blame for Putin's bloodlust for Ukranian territory or his revisionist thoughts on Lenin being a Nazi. He's just a fascist who wants Greater Russia, that's it

No NATO did not do this, no there is no defending Putin, and Russia is at this point probably the most dangerous state actor on Earth, and NATO is very much showing why it exists right now. Hope this helps clarify some rhings.

I wasn't encouraging anyone to break the rules, so please do not discuss this until we get clarification.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Budzilla posted:

Russia did not expand military operations to a full scale invasion of Georgia?

Oh, for some reason I'd thought they did. That explains it then

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

A loving Defensive alliance is not to blame for Putin's bloodlust for Ukranian territory or his revisionist thoughts on Lenin being a Nazi. He's just a fascist who wants Greater Russia, that's it

No NATO did not do this, no there is no defending Putin, and Russia is at this point probably the most dangerous state actor on Earth, and NATO is very much showing why it exists right now. Hope this helps clarify some rhings.

Not sure about the NATO showing why it exists quite yet. Unless you mean if Ukraine was a NATO country this wouldn't have happened, which is pretty hypothetical and also terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
It would suck to be russian on the ISS right now