Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Trump is stupid as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Red Baron posted:

If the truth doesn't matter, if we're post-fact, then how do we construct a damaging argument against these people?

I believe, if you bother to research it, that there is such a thing as "alternative facts'. Please try to keep up, rube.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/foxnewspoll/status/887797950440652800

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Has "Repeal Obamacare but keep my ACA!" finally died?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Teddybear posted:

You're seeing a lot of comparisons between Reid and McConnell where Reid's support of and support from his caucus is contrasted with McConnell's contempt of and contempt from his own.

How secure is the turtle's position? This is a pretty high-profile failure for him, and as you say he's not exactly Mr. Popular. Is there any possibility that he might face a challenge from someone on the extra loonie wing?

edit: Is there even a mechanism for that in the Senate?

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 20, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I hope some Repub Senator has the guts to ask them about Hilary Clinton's emails.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IDGI, lots of complicated stuff gets planned on a whiteboard. Take a picture of the board, write a few sentences in a cover memo, and walla you have a plan.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Madkal posted:

I hope some Repub Senator has the guts to ask them about Hilary Clinton's emails.

well, jill stein's emails anyways

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/887808736923922437

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

withak posted:

IDGI, lots of complicated stuff gets planned on a whiteboard. Take a picture of the board, write a few sentences in a cover memo, and walla you have a plan.

Maybe they should've used one of those glass boards so that it looked more like the movies.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

withak posted:

But it isn't sufficiently disruptive that way :qq:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kylra posted:

Has "Repeal Obamacare but keep my ACA!" finally died?

For a while now conservatives have been more likely than average to know there's no difference between the two. I agree it was funny while it lasted though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

y'know if i lived to be a 1000 i'd still never be able to come to terms with how goddamn stupid the president is. that video of him trying to get putin's attention was like watching a six year old.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

withak posted:

Well it doesn't sound like anybody makes a profit from this method at all

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wait I know they've been talking about something like this for awhile but uhhhh how do you enforce that?

"Your honor we hold that the defendant did not read the packaging of his purchases and thus bought products from America, Ireland, Japan, and Australia. As Israel is not on this list, he must be considered guilty of felony boycott."

(I realize it's probably more aimed at organizations than individuals but still how the gently caress do you enforce this)

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
So Al Franken - one of the smartest men in the Senate - gets to question Don Jr. - one of the dumbest men in America - under oath? [does a jig]

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Kellyanne's trying to figure out how many Corgis she needs to make her coat.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/887806497605988352
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/887812398853259264

This'll be fun if they follow through on this

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shitshow posted:

So Al Franken - one of the smartest men in the Senate - gets to question Don Jr. - one of the dumbest men in America - under oath? [does a jig]

:circlefap:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I thought this was well established by many people in many neighborhoods.

I went to college in a pretty rough area in central Philadelphia and even back then (late 80's) caught as much poo poo from the police as I did crackheads trying to steal my aluminum drain pipe off my apartment building or something. I'd put it at about roughly 50/50 to be honest and anyone who knows 12th and Walnut or 18th and Catherine St. can attest that these are hardly called "safe neighborhoods". Most of my room mates (black or white) had little use for Philly cops but, as far as I know, none of us owned a gun.

I also lived in the Haight-Ashbury and the Mission District in San Francisco - occasionally bounced around The Tenderloin area - and was as equally afraid of cops as I was of hookers or beggars. Then again, come to think of it, a lot of that time I myself was up to no good and guilty of something (weed or coke possession) so maybe i should shut the gently caress up.

But even now, as a white homeowner and a taxpayer, I have marginal respect for police and most especially seizure and forfeiture laws. gently caress that poo poo. You'd think right wingers, who always cry about big government and worrying about people taking their precious firearms, would get more against this blatant constitutional overreach but I guess it's OK so long as they can buy some sweet mustang at a police auction.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

e: n/m

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 20, 2017

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

We're teaching an entire generation of kids that behavior like Chimp's is OK. We tell kids 'it's not OK to lie', but the president lies every time he opens his mouth. We tell kids 'don't insult people based on appearances', but Trump loves to taunt people about how they look. It troubles me a lot. If we're dumb enough to elect Chimp now, what Idiocracy is in store for us ten, twenty years down the road when these kids come of age?
Nope. The kids are learning not to trust politicians and that they are egregious do as I say not as a I do lying liars, just like they did when Nixon was in office. And just like that second cohort of Gen Xers who had to grow up in the aftermath of Nixon and watching Reagan and Bush scandals they'll vote Democrat because Republicans are rich crooks. Also this generation coming up is the first majority-minority generation to boot. Trust me, the kids'll be alright assuming they live through this and voting is still a thing when they get older. Parents everywhere are using the President as an example of what not to do (at least the non-MAGA ones).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Google Butt posted:

Are they gonna do the pre executive privilege thing that sessions did

Don Jr isn't an executive employee, so that would be an interesting argument

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/887817919090098176

Edit:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/887817983653011457

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait I know they've been talking about something like this for awhile but uhhhh how do you enforce that?

"Your honor we hold that the defendant did not read the packaging of his purchases and thus bought products from America, Ireland, Japan, and Australia. As Israel is not on this list, he must be considered guilty of felony boycott."

(I realize it's probably more aimed at organizations than individuals but still how the gently caress do you enforce this)

as a part of our vending contract our organization has to certify every year that we are not participating in active protests or boycotts against israel

the state of georgia requires it. for food service on a public college campus. if someone can explain that one to me, please do

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The New York Times posted:

Describing a newly disclosed informal conversation he had with President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia during a dinner of world leaders in Germany earlier this month, Mr. Trump said they talked for about 15 minutes, mostly about “pleasantries.” But Mr. Trump did say that they talked “about adoptions.” Mr. Putin banned American adoptions of Russian children in 2012 after the United States enacted sanctions on Russians accused of human rights abuses, an issue that remains a sore point in relations with Moscow.

lmao what was Trump talking to Putin about at the previously-undisclosed G20 conversation? of all subjects, adoptions.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Imagine the right-wing blowback of impeaching Trump and then Pence and installing a Democrat Speaker into the White House.

They'd call it a coup.

They will also call a d getting elected in 2020 a coup. They'll call dems winning the house a coup. They are calling Dems being in the minority but still existing a coup. There hasn't been a picosecond in the last 8 years they have accepted any form of power held by any Democrat as legitimate.

PneumonicBook posted:

To affect change you need to work within the accepted framework. The far lefts 'ban them all forever' is a non starter. There are legitimate effective ways the country could start handling it's gun problem but when both sides are too busy screaming at each other like it's Facebook it will never happen.

I suppose now with how partisan all politics are we've probably lost that chance, nationally at least. Local laws can only do so much when you've got red states sitting next to blue states.

Okay, now change gun control to healthcare and see how many people in this thread nodding sagely now say you're a right wing sellout.

Reverand maynard posted:

I think if we passed a law that required people to wear an anime shirt when purchasing guns the problem would just sort itself out in a generation or so

Anime famously features a series about a rock stupid backwoods farmer who has never had any contact with the government, who has the world revolve around making him more powerful just cause he wants to be, who goes Aryan before killing anything that doesn't look like a white male. Do you really think fascists will be put off by any of that?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Adequate posted:

Think of it less as a bill that would be passed, and more a list of Democratic Senators who need to have their political careers destroyed because they're Israel-firsters and that poo poo is inexcusable.

I'd love to see the opinions from the SCOTUS if legal challenges to such a law even made it to them. "You aren't allowed to boycott this country" is such a ridiculously blatant violation of the 1A and making it just target corporations in a post Citizens United world seems rather impossible without gutting CU in the process.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

skylined! posted:

as a part of our vending contract our organization has to certify every year that we are not participating in active protests or boycotts against israel

the state of georgia requires it. for food service on a public college campus. if someone can explain that one to me, please do

Boycotts might make Israel less economically successful, decreasing the chance all the jews will move back there to summon Jesus

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
seems pretty clear that NRA is trying to drive flagging gun sales by making liberals buy guns out of fear of NRA members

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/887818783754260481

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

So is coin collecting, playing clarinet, video games, reading, etc depending on the person you're talking to.

Fair enough but none of those things are designed to kill people and if an unstable person collects, say, too many Magic cards, and has a nervous breakdown, the worst he's gonna do is throw them at my car while standing in the middle of the street in nothing but Pikachu underwear.

I think the difference, as far as categorizing "hobbies" goes, is is rather apparent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Think of it less as a bill that would be passed, and more a list of Democratic Senators who need to have their political careers destroyed because they're Israel-firsters and that poo poo is inexcusable.

I'd love to see the opinions from the SCOTUS if legal challenges to such a law even made it to them. "You aren't allowed to boycott this country" is such a ridiculously blatant violation of the 1A and making it just target corporations in a post Citizens United world seems rather impossible without gutting CU in the process.

This SOCTUS will probably say it is fine so long as the government can find one foreign country we don't like that also supports the boycott.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

The new plan doesn't mention it but the places that would lose individual insurance plans first would be the very rural areas that don't have enough people purchasing insurance. Basically the states most impacted would be the most red Trump states. This plan is the worst possible plan for states like WY, ND, OK, etc.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ekeog posted:

lmao what was Trump talking to Putin about at the previously-undisclosed G20 conversation? of all subjects, adoptions.

Reminder that Trump Jr said he was also talking about adoptions before he confessed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

could she be the one leaving all the nooses

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Does Trump know this interview was on the record and he wasn't just being interviewed for background? In the audio he keeps saying "the president" like he's expecting to be used as a source.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lote posted:

The new plan doesn't mention it but the places that would lose individual insurance plans first would be the very rural areas that don't have enough people purchasing insurance. Basically the states most impacted would be the most red Trump states. This plan is the worst possible plan for states like WY, ND, OK, etc.

It's almost as if Republicans hate their voters because the poor are nothing but cattle to be slaughtered and consumed by the rich in their eyes?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/887589477887115269

Huckabee is down with the revolution. Full communism now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

C'mon!!! Fire arguably the most evil-but-competent member of your administration, show them what a man with big hands you are so the rest of your stooges toe the line as Mueller starts turning the screws! Do it Donny!

• Locked thread