Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Hwy my friend wants to know what the deal is with visa-on-arrival now. Can you get it in beijing on a flight from the USA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
No.

You can a 48 hour transfer visa if China is not the final destination.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Arakan posted:

Just incase you were wondering you can't legally work in China again since you never went through with suing for release so the decision has been made for you.

That doesn't make much sense. Doesn't it lapse after the contract expires? Also, wouldn't this mean she would have a foreign teacher spot pretty much occupied but unfilled? How confusing!

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Ceciltron posted:

That doesn't make much sense. Doesn't it lapse after the contract expires? Also, wouldn't this mean she would have a foreign teacher spot pretty much occupied but unfilled? How confusing!

Sigh, no one ever listens to me. It doesn't matter if your visa and RP expire and you start the process all over again for a new Z visa with a different company. It doesn't matter how much time has gone by. If you have ever worked in China before on a Z visa you need a release letter (推荐信) from your previous employer to apply for a new visa. Without it you cannot enter China on a Z.

I made this point like five times when you were doing all this before since it seemed you wanted to come back to China. If you want to work in China again your options are to sue your previous employer for release or commit a federal crime and 'lose' your passport (though I have no idea if a new passport number even works anymore).

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Arakan posted:

Sigh, no one ever listens to me. It doesn't matter if your visa and RP expire and you start the process all over again for a new Z visa with a different company. It doesn't matter how much time has gone by. If you have ever worked in China before on a Z visa you need a release letter (推荐信) from your previous employer to apply for a new visa. Without it you cannot enter China on a Z.

I made this point like five times when you were doing all this before since it seemed you wanted to come back to China. If you want to work in China again your options are to sue your previous employer for release or commit a federal crime and 'lose' your passport (though I have no idea if a new passport number even works anymore).

Well it's a good thing I have no intention of working in China!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arakan posted:

I don't know if I ever got one and I've gotten Z's from two companies. I worked in ESL from 2009 until 2011 and then my contract ended, went back to the US for two years and got a new Z in late 2013 working for a different company. Is the release letter something that the company will normally do for you and send to SAFEA or whatever?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I think he means if you leave before your contract is up?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know if I ever got one and I've gotten Z's from two companies. I worked in ESL from 2009 until 2011 and then my contract ended, went back to the US for two years and got a new Z in late 2013 working for a different company. Is the release letter something that the company will normally do for you and send to SAFEA or whatever?

My understanding is that whether you finish your contract or not, your HR lady is supposed to file something with the foreign expert office. If you finish your contract, they file that you finished your contract successfully and you are no longer in the country or no longer working for them. If you break your contract, meaning pulling a runner or straight up quitting before your contract is finished, they will file that you broke contract or that you didn't finish your contract and they have the responsibility to state why. This is where things gets messy and why if someone is pulling a runner or straight up quitting you may as well just GTFO as soon as possible because you've screwed your boss or company and they are not going to write you a favorable review or try to do anything to help you at that point. You can try to get your release letter, but if you've burned that bridge, you're probably not going to get it, especially if you've broken the contract that you signed.

Arakan really knows what he's talking about with all this when it comes to the actual laws and terminology (I think), I don't know any of that but I do know the gist of it, just after watching work deal with a few select idiots at my company over the past five years.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know anything about sending it directly to SAFEA, but your new company needs it as part of the documents they present to SAFEA to apply for your Foreign Experts Work Permit, which you then use to apply for a Z visa in your country. If you completed your previous contract then by law your previous company is required to provide this. Maybe your new company just got it without you knowing? All I had to do was give my current employer the phone number of my old school and they took care of obtaining it within a day, I never saw the document at all. So maybe your new company contacted your old company and just got it directly, which I assume is what normally happens.

But aren't you working a non-teaching job? If your company had to apply for an Alien Employment License instead of Foreign Expert Work Permit then I have no idea about that.

Tom Smykowski posted:

I think he means if you leave before your contract is up?

No, you need it either way. The problem is when you breach your contract your employer is then not required by law to provide this document.

e: That is if you don't complete the terms of the breach. Most contracts have a stipulation that you have to pay 10k RMB or whatever if you decide to quit. If you do that then they are still required to provide you with release.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 12, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Here's the link to the SFEA AELN list:

http://www.safea.gov.cn/content.shtml?id=12746539

Ctrl+F and search for your (education related) company in Chinese. Won't work for non-culture & education employers though.

It's very true that you require a letter of reference and/or release if you want to take up a new working position within China ~ regardless of whether it is in a new province or if you have left the country and subsequently returned.

This can be as formal as the official "Release and Reference" form which has tickety boxes for everything from your state of health to whether you had an argument about your salary down to a standard letter of reference from an employer which says "good job whitey". Some provinces want the form because it states whether or not the FEC has been returned, but most just live with a stamped reference letter.

Because I am a nice man, I give people both, and in English too.

We also return FECs to SAFEA at the end of contracts ~ not all places do that though and theoretically they should be fined Y30 for not giving it back. Fun fact of the day.

Alot of this doesn't work properly of course because many employers in China are poo poo at record keeping. I was trying to get a Reference for a new hire during my last cycle and the person I was speaking to (an agent who farmed the poor chap out to a college in another province - illegal, yes) claimed that they weren't responsible for the issue of his last FEC and that the school was the one who should give the reference. I responded with images of this guy's previous residence permit which showed it had been issued in Province X, which means that there was also a FEC from Province X and that meant the agent based in Province X was responsible for issuing the reference letter.

She tried to say (again, without any new arguments) that the school in Province Y has issued the FEC because that was where he was working. Out went the images again, this time with a note of when the school in Province Y had had its AELN number revoked (hence the need for the agent to issue the chap with a FEC and RP in their own province).

Boss woman then hands me off to an assistant who claims that this chap was a terrible employee (despite having been re-hired for a second year) and ran away halfway into his second year. I sent her an image of an entry stamp from his passport which showed that he had returned to China, from a holiday in Japan incidentally, several months after the date she claimed he had ran off. There was another stamp, which matched the rough end date of his contract, that showed him entering Hong Kong ~ his port of exit.

This is the length to which people will go to avoid doing things properly.

Poor chap was livid when I told him that his old agent was throwing out lovely accusations just to get out of writing a letter and immediately supplied me with the contact detail of the school in Province Y and told me to get touch with them for an independent account of his performance and so forth.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 12, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

ugh sucky connection

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 12, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I have no idea. My current employer had my last company's info from my resume/references so they might have gotten it themselves. I know I never asked for or saw any such document.

My old employer liked me and is super nice so I don't see them as making any issue of it.

The more you know~

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm leaving my current employer next month. Do I need to get this from them now? If I try to come back in 2 years without having gotten a release will I be hosed?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I'm leaving my current employer next month. Do I need to get this from them now? If I try to come back in 2 years without having gotten a release will I be hosed?

Before you leave and most likely, yes. Or at least you'll need to get them to give you one in two years time when you try to come back.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

GuestBob posted:

Before you leave and most likely, yes. Or at least you'll need to get them to give you one in two years time when you try to come back.

What if they go out of business within those 2 years?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

MeramJert posted:

What if they go out of business within those 2 years?

Then thou art hosed.

I mean, there's probably a very sensible provision for this in a regulation book somewhere, but it's never going to be discovered by anyone who might be able to help you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GuestBob posted:

I have extracted a promise from the new HR guy to give me that and everything else I've asked him for on Wednesday. He is thus far an improvement over his predecessors, in that he actually answers the phone, but I've reports that he's kind of an idiot, and he does kind of give that impression in person. I'm worried.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

he actually answers the phone

Well there's your answer. He's an idiot.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I have extracted a promise from the new HR guy to give me that and everything else I've asked him for on Wednesday. He is thus far an improvement over his predecessors, in that he actually answers the phone, but I've reports that he's kind of an idiot, and he does kind of give that impression in person. I'm worried.

If I were you, I'd write my own recommendation letter so that he doesn't have to do anything that involves doing anything. This can be English as your new employer can translate it for you and checks can be made if they are required (for this reason make sure the contact details are correct and in Chinese - no "Sunshine / FAO Manager" please).

You can always send him a copy of the Chinese form if you want to let him know you're serious about it. Here's what it's normally titled: "外国文教专家推荐信".

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 13, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GuestBob posted:

If I were you, I'd write my own recommendation letter so that he doesn't have to do anything that involves doing anything. This can be English as your new employer can translate it for you and checks can be made if they are required (for this reason make sure the contact details are correct and in Chinese - no "Sunshine / FAO Manager" please).

You can always send him a copy of the Chinese form if you want to let him know you're serious about it. Here's what it's normally titled: "外国文教专家推荐信".

What is this letter supposed to look like? Is it just saying "laowai finished his contract and didn't molest anyone?" Does it need a company stamp or anything?

This is the thing you need to get a new Z-visa later?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

http://www.doc88.com/p-693163600055.html

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

It can be the official one or it can just be a regular reference letter on headed notepaper with your company's seal.

It's contents, barring the tickety boxes about FEC return and such, is that for a regular reference letter.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GuestBob posted:

It can be the official one or it can just be a regular reference letter on headed notepaper with your company's seal.

It's contents, barring the tickety boxes about FEC return and such, is that for a regular reference letter.

Tickety boxes? FEC?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Does anyone know anything about online banking here? I set it up with the USB and everything, but my debit card has no name or CVV 3 digit number on the back, just one card number on the front. I want to buy plane tickets, but when I go to pay it asks for card number, name and CVV number. Is there something on the online banking portal I need to do? Bank of China if it matters.

danse macabre
Oct 29, 2010
I have a month off over Christmas and am looking to visit a Chinese city off the beaten track. I've been to Chengdu and Beijing, but I would like to visit somewhere that speaks relatively standard putonghua, isn't too cold (aka no Heilongjiang) and isn't too populated with Westerners. If they have a Chinese language school or somebody knows a reputable tutor that would be even better.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arakan posted:

Does anyone know anything about online banking here? I set it up with the USB and everything, but my debit card has no name or CVV 3 digit number on the back, just one card number on the front. I want to buy plane tickets, but when I go to pay it asks for card number, name and CVV number. Is there something on the online banking portal I need to do? Bank of China if it matters.

Where are you buying the tickets? A lot of online stores here have 3 payment options for each bank: credit card; debit card; and some sort of online bank transfer thing. Only that last option will use your online banking portal, as far as I can tell. It's what I usually use, because my debit card doesn't have my name on it for some reason.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Well I would like to buy it directly from Mongolian Airlines (miat.com), but pretty sure I'm hosed in that regard. Then I tried ctrip but selecting a BoC card did not give me any choices, it required all that info that my card doesn't have. Is there another website for plane tickets I could do that online transfer thing on?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah I think usually airline websites seem to require a credit card specifically, they often don't take debit cards. I've bought tickets with an online bank transfer many times through qunar though.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Just so I don't gently caress something up...qunar is just a compilation of agencies and I pick one of them to sell me the tickets? I seem to be getting like 500 rmb cheaper prices than on elong (which I found out can do the bank transfer payment). Is there something I'm missing or do they usually have the best prices? And do I pickup the tickets at check in or do I need to get them from the agent at some point prior?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah it's a bunch of agencies. Are you sure it's actually cheaper? I think they don't include taxes and they show you the prices of each flight individually instead of the total roundtrip cost. You don't need to pick anything up, you can just show up at the airport and check in. You need to provide your name and passport info and all that, of course.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Alright, cool thanks for the info. Yea, I think it's cheaper cause I can book Mongolian Airlines through one agent on the way there and then use a different agent and get an Air China flight on the way back. All the other sites I had to use the same airline for both. No clue how two one ways are cheaper than a round trip but whatever.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MeramJert posted:

Yeah it's a bunch of agencies. Are you sure it's actually cheaper? I think they don't include taxes and they show you the prices of each flight individually instead of the total roundtrip cost. You don't need to pick anything up, you can just show up at the airport and check in. You need to provide your name and passport info and all that, of course.

Some do include tax, some don't. Some prices are refundable, some aren't. Some will subtract 1500 from a refund, others 2500. Call before you buy any Qunar ticket.

Some will require a Chinese ID number rather than a passport number, so if you're a foreigner you won't necessarily be able to buy from every vendor anyway.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 14, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Qunar is cheaper on average but I find it shady as gently caress. Well, other people swear by it though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Qunar is cheaper on average but I find it shady as gently caress. Well, other people swear by it though

I've used it to buy most of my flights in the past four years and never had a problem. I never needed a Chinese ID number, either.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh right, Ghostbob is coming to Hong Kong, so it's time for HK goon summer BBQ part 2. I need a head count, Meram can you come? It's in the new territories this time, much much closer to Shenzhen.

1. Caber
2. Lady galaga
3. Bloodnose
4. Ghost bob
5. simple fish
6. simple fish +1

7. tupper warez?
8. meram jert?
9. Beef eater?
10. lurker goon?
11. New shenzhen goon?
12. Rental sting?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

caberham posted:

7. tupper warez?
I have to fly out to Vietnam on the 20th, so sadly no.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Which day are you planning for?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
July 26 or 27? Will post mega post soon but just want a head count for now

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005