Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Honestly I'd say that the 3ds beats out the Wii U still. But that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Sacred Cow posted:

I'm a child of the FF 4 & 6 era so I guess I'll be picking BD.

It's actually got more in common with 5 than 4 or 6, if that matters.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just got my 3DS and am sorted with RPGs having Fire Emblem, Persona Q and SMTIV.

What are some good action games on the system, preferably downloadable.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The answer to whatever question you're asking is 'Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate'

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hadji murad posted:

I just got my 3DS and am sorted with RPGs having Fire Emblem, Persona Q and SMTIV.

What are some good action games on the system, preferably downloadable.

Do you have Link Between Worlds yet? Because you should have Link Between Worlds.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Waltzing Along posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WII-Xenoblade-Chronicles-BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-/321642233546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae35efeca

How does this happen? 50 copies sold? More than 10 still availalble? I thought this game was rare as gently caress. And a gamestop exclusive.

I see things like this all the time on ebay. LIke someone will have a poo poo ton of some exclusive amiibo. How do they get them all? There have to be some weird back channels out there that the public doesn't have access to. But this xenoblade one just dumbfounds me. I could see the odd one or two here or there. But that many? That's a few cases worth.

IIRC Xenoblade was hyped as a limited release back when it first came out. I wouldn't be surprised if some people bought up to 50 £40 copies from regular shops because they hoped the limited run would mean that at the very least they could flip them for the same price they bought them.

Alternatively, they might have played the Japanese version, seen how awesome it was and knew it was going to be a massive hit that was hard to get in the EU/US.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The answer to whatever question you're asking is 'Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate'

What is the most overrated 3ds game?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Honestly I'd say that the 3ds beats out the Wii U still. But that's just me.

what about when Fire Emblem x SMT comes out?

trick question, its never coming out

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I believe in SMTxFE

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

How does this happen?

There are people in this world who try and make a living by flipping items. They'll order multiples of limited items using different accounts/addresses, or line up at a store with their family/friends and have each buy the maximum amount allowed by the store(if there is a limit at all.) At the same time they'll use coupons, special promotions or price mistakes to try and get the item cheaper. They then immediately post it on ebay where they know they can turn it around for a quick $100+ for systems, $10-50 for games.

Right now people are thinking the Mewtwo DLC codes are going to be worth $10+ and the flippers are basing it off the price of the unlimited use Smash demo going for a pretty high price.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

I haven't switched my 3DS on in months. Is Flipnote out yet?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Francis posted:

Most reviews that comment on the 3D say that it's implemented pretty poorly and basically just has a 'foreground' and 'background' layer. It's understandable since the 3DS doesn't have the ability to project as much depth as the larger vistas in Xenoblade would demand.

That sounds very strange, since all you really need to do to "project depth" is to render with two slightly-separated cameras.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Supercar Gautier posted:

That sounds very strange, since all you really need to do to "project depth" is to render with two slightly-separated cameras.

That's based on stereoscopic vision. That's not how the 3ds works.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Hungry Bit posted:

I haven't switched my 3DS on in months. Is Flipnote out yet?

If you make a Club Nintendo account, you get a free code

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Waltzing Along posted:

Get the Wii U. For the same price you get the better system. Not that the 3ds is bad, but the Wii U is #1 right now.

E: w/ the virtual console, you do have access to some rpgs.

Waltzing Along posted:

What is the most overrated 3ds game?

:eyepop:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

:eyepop:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Uh... the 3DS does use stereoscopic 3D. Using a parallax barrier on the upper screen, one image is shown to the left eye and a slightly different image is shown to the right eye.

For rendered polygonal images, the left-eye camera is separated from the right-eye camera, and the 3D slider moves the cameras further apart or closer together, converging in the same place when turned all the way down. Sprites and bitmaps are separated horizontally for either a pop-in or pop-out effect, and once again, turning down the 3D causes those sprites and bitmaps to converge to the same position. You can test all this out yourself by closing one eye and fiddling with the 3D slider, then switching eyes and doing the same.

The only way it would make any sense for Xenoblade to do the "flat layers" thing would be if the game were rendered entirely in 2D and the UI just had a pop-out effect overtop of it.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 29, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Do you have Link Between Worlds yet? Because you should have Link Between Worlds.

I got bored of Zelda games ages ago. Minish Cap was good though.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, what Supercar said. It is absolutely stereoscopic. That's the reason ghosting/super stable face tracking exists. There's no 3D that isn't stereoscopic. Even the old red/blue 3D tech is stereoscopic achieved through selective filtering.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

hadji murad posted:

If you liked Link to the Past I'd definitely check it out, as it's a much more awesome version of that. Though if you weren't a fan of LttP then it's fine skipping it.

I recently got a 3DS and beat ALTW and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Definitely in my top 3 Zelda games at least, if not higher.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

hadji murad posted:

As someone that was bored of Zelda after the Wii games, ALBW sucked me back in. It was the game that convinced me to get a 3DS in the first place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Scrap Dragon posted:

It's actually got more in common with 5 than 4 or 6, if that matters.

To be more specific, it lives and dies on the job system, so how much you enjoy BD will depend heavily on how much you liked the FF5 job system.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bravely Default is boring. The art is really nice though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Target is gonna have a bunch of first-party 3DS games for $15 from the 29th to the 4th, including:

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart 7
Mario 3D Land
NSMB2
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

EDIT: in-store only.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 30, 2015

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!

Sacred Cow posted:

Getting myself a N3DS today. What is the RPG of choice - Bravely Default or Fire Emblem?

Play the Fire Emblem demo. If it doesn't grab you, you might not have a soul.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, Target is gonna have a bunch of first-party 3DS games for $15 from the 29th to the 4th, including:

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart 7
Mario 3D Land
NSMB2

Dang, got everything but NSMB2. Is that worth getting?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart 7
Mario 3D Land
NSMB2

Is this deal in-stores only? I've always wanted to buy Animal Crossing, but there's not a Target close to here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nondevor posted:

Is this deal in-stores only? I've always wanted to buy Animal Crossing, but there's not a Target close to here.

Yeah, in-store only.

Target is also doing "buy one, get one half off" on a bunch of games; 3DS pickings include Monster Hunter 4, Persona Q, Sonic Boom/Lost World, Cooking Mama.

TRU is doing a "buy one, get 40% off" on a bunch of newer games, including Smash, Majora's Mask, Codename STEAM, Pokemon Art Academy, Pokemon OR/AS, Fossil Fighters, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 30, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Are the choices of games you can purchase and choose to get half off limited to this?

http://www.target.com/sb/nintendo-3ds-video-games/-/N-5xfnrZ55e69#?lnk=lnav_shop%20categories_1

Or could I purchase a new game, not on this list, and get one of those titles, on the list, half-off?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart 7
Mario 3D Land
NSMB2

EDIT: in-store only.

You just made my wife's loving week. She's wanted AC for a while and I can never get her to spend money on herself. Soon as she heard it was $15 she called two Targets, found one that had 2 left, had them hold it, and I went and picked it up.

This makes me wonder if Target knows something that we don't, re: the Club rewards. DK3D was a Platinum reward last year, and NSMB2 and 3DLand are current high-coin rewards (and possibly Platinum as well). I wonder if AC and MK7 will be Platinum rewards this year. Three days til the tension is broken.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I went to Target yesterday to get a N3DS and asked the sales dude if any games were going to be on sale and he said no. rear end :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do we expect nintendo to announce the gold and plat awards on April 1 or is it "sometime in April"?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Supercar Gautier posted:

I wonder if it's because Xenoblade has a lot of wide open areas, so if most stuff is either right next to you or really far away, it ends up looking like everything is on 2 planes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do we expect nintendo to announce the gold and plat awards on April 1 or is it "sometime in April"?

NOA is notorious for being a couple days late on Club Nintendo stuff, who knows.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a decent comparison for Harvest Moon and Rune Factory? Like those SAT questions, Harvest Moon is to _______ as Rune Factory is to _________. Basically, I'm looking at Story of Seasons, but I don't know if I'd like it at all. I've wasted over 500 hours into Animal Crossing during one season, but HM looks more like a game geared towards marriage and farming, two things you straight up don't really do in Animal Crossing.

Knowing that, I was looking at Rune Factory too given how it's apparently just HM with monsters which sounds rad as hell.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

blackjack posted:

Dang, got everything but NSMB2. Is that worth getting?

Not really.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For $15 if say hell yeah. I got it as a club Nintendo reward and it's much better than I expected.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
ALBW honestly had some of the greatest 3D effects I've seen thus far, and that was mostly a 2D game which is the crazy part. I defy anyone to not be impressed when they wander into that floating path down to the Ore Mine up on Death Mountain, because goddamn.

Having played and beaten OoT entirely in 3D and now playing Kid Icarus, plus I've played a lot of Monster Hunter, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros, I gotta say that Kid Icarus has some of the best drat 3D I've ever seen in a game... it really hits you in some of the flying segments, you really get that feeling of depth, it's insane.

Technology. :allears:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Is region locking fixed yet through modding? It's like Nintendo doesn't want my loving money. I

I hate the 3ds XL. It's bulky, the sound sucks, it's too big for my girl hands making the size of the thing a bitch and I can barely reach the bumpers when I hold it. It makes ds games look like poo poo. I hate it. Yet I know Japanese and want to import the New 3ds standard edition with the cute, adorable face buttons that Nintendo of America didn't bother to bring over to America so I can play Dragon Quest VII and Rhythm Tengoku 3ds.

But whoops!

3ds is region locked, so that cute New 3ds will only work on Japanese games! But I want to get rid of this bulky 3ds XL I've got but that doesn't mean I don't want to play some games in English (what happens when a multiplayer game comes out I want to play with friends for instance?). Nintendo, I am not buying a JP New 3ds standard and ANOTHER original NA 3ds! Why the gently caress can't I just buy the New 3ds from Japan and that be my new 3ds? Kaput? Final?

Why do you not want my money, Nintendo?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Himuro posted:

Is region locking fixed yet through modding? It's like Nintendo doesn't want my loving money. I

I hate the 3ds XL. It's bulky, the sound sucks, it's too big for my girl hands making the size of the thing a bitch and I can barely reach the bumpers when I hold it. It makes ds games look like poo poo. I hate it. Yet I know Japanese and want to import the New 3ds standard edition with the cute, adorable face buttons that Nintendo of America didn't bother to bring over to America so I can play Dragon Quest VII and Rhythm Tengoku 3ds.

But whoops!

3ds is region locked, so that cute New 3ds will only work on Japanese games! But I want to get rid of this bulky 3ds XL I've got but that doesn't mean I don't want to play some games in English (what happens when a multiplayer game comes out I want to play with friends for instance?). Nintendo, I am not buying a JP New 3ds standard and ANOTHER original NA 3ds! Why the gently caress can't I just buy the New 3ds from Japan and that be my new 3ds? Kaput? Final?

Why do you not want my money, Nintendo?!

You could always get a PAL n3DS from Europe or Australia and get games digitally. Also if you hold Select when starting a DS game, it'll play at the DS resolution instead of expanding to fill the screen.