Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The first mission Nue appears he's like a mini boss, you beat him and then you take an elevator underground, and then eventually fight a possessed samurai dude. He's never the end boss of a mission, unless I'm forgetting about a side mission where he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kraven Moorhed posted:

That's a side area. You can safely ignore him.

You're funny

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Unfinish3d posted:

The first mission Nue appears he's like a mini boss, you beat him and then you take an elevator underground, and then eventually fight a possessed samurai dude. He's never the end boss of a mission, unless I'm forgetting about a side mission where he is.

Technically he's the end boss of the dual swords mission in the final region, but you have that dude helping you so it's pretty trivial

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

I found out the magic talisman for 'summon your guardian spirit to attack the enemy', and used it on the cave lady boss. it's like a win button, drat!

Hell yeah, that's my favorite talisman. Each spirit has a different attack, too, so enjoy playing around with them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My friend tried out the Shockwave Talisman during coop and demolished one of the bosses we fought. Can you stack it with Earth and Lifeseal Talismans?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I found the moment talismans to be underwhelming, but I think I only tested them while I was using Gyokuto (the lightning rabbit one) so maybe it's just that guardian spirit.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
You guys had me scared about the final boss, but I think that was a really cool setpiece. Something that probably wouldn't work in Dark Souls but worked great here.
Also, since I couldn't parry or back-attack it, it was the first challenging boss since Umi-bozu.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unfinish3d posted:

I found the moment talismans to be underwhelming, but I think I only tested them while I was using Gyokuto (the lightning rabbit one) so maybe it's just that guardian spirit.

Try it with Enma (Enko? the fire tiger). His pounce hits so hard that it even knocks Tadakatsu on his rear end.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 23, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

Yes, every spirit is different. Some are underwhelming, some barely do anything, and some win fights. My favorites right now are Suzaku, Paired Raiken, Enko, and Daiba-Washi. Enko and Daiba-Washi, especially, entirely cheese any human boss.

HellCopter posted:

You guys had me scared about the final boss, but I think that was a really cool setpiece. Something that probably wouldn't work in Dark Souls but worked great here.
Also, since I couldn't parry or back-attack it, it was the first challenging boss since Umi-bozu.

I really liked the setpiece aspect, I just didn't think he was that fun to fight. I'm not sure how he could've been much better without the game just being Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising, though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I haven't needed help cheesing human bosses. Every single one I've beaten by abusing the sickle pull move into the leg sweep, then a final blow. Just stay in low stance until they're completely open, unload that combo, rinse and repeat. Eventually I should actually learn to fight them without relying on that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can revenants in NG+ drop gear with +'s on it? I just killed a level 310 revenant and I would expect someone at that level would have better than 150 +0 gear, so maybe they always drop base 150 divine gear?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know.

But remember, revs are the ones who are dying. I still see revs with purple gear in ng+...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I don't know.

But remember, revs are the ones who are dying. I still see revs with purple gear in ng+...

I've seen revenants halfway through NG+ with white gear on, so yeah.

Really, the amount of revenants wearing Red Demon Armor should be about as strong of an anti-endorsement as you can get for that set.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It does seem like the best light set for general use. The others are quite specialized.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

It does seem like the best light set for general use. The others are quite specialized.

It's still pretty specialized, all told. You're not getting much out of it if you don't use spears or Enko (and in NG+, you're not getting very much out of the bonus for using Enko, either, since it's a grand total of 10 attack and defense). The Ki regeneration bonus is nice, but honestly I didn't find it all that noticeable, especially if you're at A-rank Agility already. Do that and use Kato and I can't imagine you'd ever want for Ki. Even without Kato I haven't really run out of Ki since I switched to light armor at all.

It's definitely a good set, don't get me wrong. It's one of the better light sets. But it isn't so good that it should be as ubiquitous as it is. I think people make that Ki regeneration bonus out to be more than it actually is.

Justice Ministry is just as good for general use, I'd argue. Its 5-piece bonus to your Amrita Gauge is nice, as is the +3 Living Weapon duration.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 23, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It finally clicked. I revamped my guy everything at 10 cept Dex (sorry ninjas) with heart at 25 and stam close behind. 25 spirit and like 20 magic. I forged the fire katana (got the perk for a larger parry window and hp on a kill), took the Phoenix spirit guardian and dropped all my samurai skills into the single sword style. I'm just parrying fools and murdering.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am definitely never going to understand revenants with axes who use the Red Demon Armor set. I mean, I get that the best axe set is a pain in the rear end to farm (Obsidian Samurai), but come on.

Glenn Quebec posted:

It finally clicked. I revamped my guy everything at 10 cept Dex (sorry ninjas) with heart at 25 and stam close behind. 25 spirit and like 20 magic. I forged the fire katana (got the perk for a larger parry window and hp on a kill), took the Phoenix spirit guardian and dropped all my samurai skills into the single sword style. I'm just parrying fools and murdering.

I'm the same way with Dexterity. I know I should respec to 20 just to do the Ninjutsu Veteran and Mystic Art dojo missions, then respec back, but it takes so long to reassign all those skill points and I'm just like :effort:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

I am definitely never going to understand revenants with axes who use the Red Demon Armor set. I mean, I get that the best axe set is a pain in the rear end to farm (Obsidian Samurai), but come on.

They're probably like me, a person who does not pay any attention to armor specs except "more bonuses = better" and "where are the higher numbers."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If anyone's planning on doing a barehanded run, keep an eye out for gloves with inheritable Barehanded Attack Damage +x%. Normally, that's a gloves-only bonus, but if it's inheritable, you can soul match it onto your other armor. You can probably stack up quite a bit of extra barehanded damage that way, especially in NG+.

Oxxidation posted:

They're probably like me, a person who does not pay any attention to armor specs except "more bonuses = better" and "where are the higher numbers."

I think it's more that using light armor with axes doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially because axes give you so much hyperarmor so you might as well build yourself to be able to soak a hit if you get attacked mid-combo. Plus, axes scale very well with both of the stats heavy armor requires (Stamina and Strength) so you might as well go that direction.

Tip, though: if you can get your hands on a full set of Obsidian armor, wear it, it owns for axe users, because wearing the full 7-piece set gives you Change to Attack (Stamina) A and that rules, because if you can also get that on your axe, you're triple-dipping on Stamina scaling. Axes are the only weapon that can do that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 23, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm the same way with Dexterity. I know I should respec to 20 just to do the Ninjutsu Veteran and Mystic Art dojo missions, then respec back, but it takes so long to reassign all those skill points and I'm just like :effort:

I'm in Red Demon with one Justice Ministry while using dual swords (using the -1 accessory), and here's why: it was super easy to get a full Red Demon set off revenants, and I only have four regions unlocked while I slowly make my way through NG+. I only have 25 ochokos so I can't use them every mission for more divines. I'll add more pieces of the set I want as I get them naturally. It's an availability and convenience thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah I'm almost at the end of NG+ and it's been pretty smooth sailing just picking up whatever new divine armor I find that has higher numbers

e: also the revenant chat is interesting - I've been playing the whole thing in offline mode/no summons so are my revenants still other players? I've gotten some really good equipment from them

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 23, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much Stamina do you need to be in A-rank Agility while wearing medium armor? Some of the medium sets have fantastic bonuses but I'm so thoroughly specced for light armor right now that I can't justify wearing them. I have the "-1 set piece required" magatama and I'd love to dip into the set bonuses from National Unity (from Oda Nobunaga), for example, but my Agility!

Emron posted:

I'm in Red Demon with one Justice Ministry while using dual swords (using the -1 accessory), and here's why: it was super easy to get a full Red Demon set off revenants, and I only have four regions unlocked while I slowly make my way through NG+. I only have 25 ochokos so I can't use them every mission for more divines. I'll add more pieces of the set I want as I get them naturally. It's an availability and convenience thing.

Well, to be fair, I'm also clearly a turbo-nerd, because I bothered to farm the smithing text for Justice Ministry and, as a result, crafted myself a full divine set of it almost immediately in NG+. If I was relying heavily on revenant drops I'd probably be in mostly Red Demon, too.

I gave up trying to get the Yatagarasu smithing text even though I really want it.

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I'm almost at the end of NG+ and it's been pretty smooth sailing just picking up whatever new divine armor I find that has higher numbers

e: also the revenant chat is interesting - I've been playing the whole thing in offline mode/no summons so are my revenants still other players? I've gotten some really good equipment from them

If you've been offline the whole time, they're not other players. You can tell if they're a real player by the color of the name. If their name is white, they're a player; red, they're placed there by the devs. (Some of them have joke names, too.)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

How much Stamina do you need to be in A-rank Agility while wearing medium armor?

Idk but it'd have to be a decent amount. A set of light armor might be like 10 units, where as a medium set is like 25 and gains from stamina seem to diminish really quickly (by 15 you're already getting only .5 weight per point)

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Just noticed the accessory with -1 to set requirements, so now I'm double dipping on the damage bonuses for the Justice Ministry and Iga Jounin sets, with +3 sec living weapon time and replenishing ninja items after living weapon expires. I think at this point I'm pretty close to an optimal light armor kusarigama/ninja build.

Also yeah the Red Demon set is annoyingly common. Just fought 5 revenants in a row using it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I saw a dev revenant (devenant?) in a side area named "GUITAROOMAN". Of course I had to fight him.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Harrow posted:

Well, to be fair, I'm also clearly a turbo-nerd, because I bothered to farm the smithing text for Justice Ministry and, as a result, crafted myself a full divine set of it almost immediately in NG+. If I was relying heavily on revenant drops I'd probably be in mostly Red Demon, too.

Where do you get those smithing texts? I don't see it specifically listed in any mission rewards so I have no idea

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Unfinish3d posted:

Where do you get those smithing texts? I don't see it specifically listed in any mission rewards so I have no idea

Humanoid bosses drop smithing texts for their own gear at a fairly low rate. Some people go 50+ kills without getting them, though that's not super common. Stack luck?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why do Okatsu's wimpy kicks hurt you so goddamn much, she's not even wearing shoes :mad:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Why do Okatsu's wimpy kicks hurt you so goddamn much, she's not even wearing shoes :mad:

Bony feet

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Were the last four bosses before NG+ all really easy or did I just find my inner Nioh?

Also you guys weren't kidding about the red demon set, I picked up a full divine Red Demon set from revenants before even entering NG+ :downs:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Unfinish3d posted:

Public service announcement - The Blade Spin skill for the kusarigama is absurdly good to the point that almost nothing else feels worthwhile.

So apparently I've managed to stumble into a setup that does absurd amounts of damage because I just starting doing co-op and every other person I've helped has messaged me asking how the gently caress I'm building that I'm doing so much damage. My blade spin, with the kusarigama's attack buff ability and the sickle damage up mystic art does around 2k per hit, over 4k/hit on a back attack. I was farming glory on the NG+ version of the first real mission and melting the boss in a couple seconds flat with the kusarigama's blade frenzy attack thing.

Toss in the Kara-Jishi guardian spirit and his+attack when you use skills buff for even more hilarity. Blade spin is the destroyer of worlds. :black101:

Harrow posted:

How much Stamina do you need to be in A-rank Agility while wearing medium armor? Some of the medium sets have fantastic bonuses but I'm so thoroughly specced for light armor right now that I can't justify wearing them. I have the "-1 set piece required" magatama and I'd love to dip into the set bonuses from National Unity (from Oda Nobunaga), for example, but my Agility!

Probably 80+ stamina, assuming you can even get into the A agility bracket.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Tip, though: if you can get your hands on a full set of Obsidian armor, wear it, it owns for axe users, because wearing the full 7-piece set gives you Change to Attack (Stamina) A and that rules, because if you can also get that on your axe, you're triple-dipping on Stamina scaling. Axes are the only weapon that can do that.

This has the added benefit of (assuming you're maxing stamina and not strength at this point) putting you in B agility at like 60 stamina. If you have the set bonus matama you have even more options for gear, it's great.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Can the -1 set bonus thing only be rolled in NG+?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

Can the -1 set bonus thing only be rolled in NG+?

I got one off the giant skeleton in NG, but it was divine so I think you can only start getting it as a drop once you start NG+, but it doesn't only drop in Way of the Strong.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I don't think I've ever seen a Red Demon piece, are they from later in the game? The majority of revenants I fight seem to be in Warrior of the West.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mentalcontempt posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Red Demon piece, are they from later in the game? The majority of revenants I fight seem to be in Warrior of the West.

Red Demon is gained from your duel with Ii Naomasa in the second region. But you're right, Warrior of the West is just as common.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

Any boss that drops their armor set has a chance of dropping the smithing text, too. Same for their weapons. It's pretty rare, though. Even with a bunch of luck stacked up I needed to kill Otani Yoshitsugu in Sekigahara like 12 times for his smithing text to drop, and apparently that's on the lucky side.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have 4-5 entire sets of green red demon after every mission.

The first few times I was maxed out on spirit stone chunks, I sold some, but I don't even bother now.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, just make smithing texts static loot in pre-determined chests. Farming for that poo poo isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Even just make it "a dude 20 times to get their smithing text". I've killed muneshige like 50 times. I don't even care anymore. I just go do it a few times whenever I'm bored.